PDA

View Full Version : How 2 Connect WiFi on your PsP

TuBBz
12-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Thread curtesy of Reed @ GameTab

How-to: GameTab/the Internet on your PSP!
Some folks have discovered (news) that there is a web browser in Wipeout. When you load up the game and go to Downloads you're actually visiting a Sony web page (which is currently just returning an image saying downloads are coming). Using DNS remapping, you can have your PSP go to a different location.

So, I spent some time exploring this and put together a little PSP Portal page which gives you a way to browse the web. Still working on it, but the idea is that it's a portal to GameTab and the Internet in general (via Google search, or just by typing in any URL). For those w/o a PSP and wipeout, you can see the work in progress here. Believe me, it looks better on the PSP. ;)

Setup Instructions: ( how to set your Primary DNS to 66.98.192.68 )
1) Go to Network Settings
2) Select your connection (or make a new one)
3) Scroll through to Address Settings and select Custom
4) Scroll through to DNS Setting and select Manual
5) Set your Primary DNS to 66.98.192.68
6) Continue through and save your settings

You're done! Now just load up Wipeout, go to Downloads and you'll see the portal page. You can now surf the 'net from your PSP.

Note: Shutting OFF WLAN Power Save (which you can find under Power Save Settings) will improve the speed/responsiveness of web browsing significantly! I highly recommend doing this, it makes a huge difference. Of course it'll drain your battery faster, but I think it's worth it.

Here is what the Setting List looks like for my connection:

IP Address: Automatic
Subnet Mask: Automatic
Default Router: Automatic
Primary DNS: 66.98.192.68
Secondary DNS: 0.0.0.0
Proxy Server: Do Not Use

By the way, even if you don't have an access point, there is a fair chance you can get on a public one if you're in a city. When you go to create/edit a connection, use Scan and you'll see a list of all access points in your area. I did this last night and actually had access to 12(!) other access points other than my own.

Navigating the 'net with your PSP:
X = Enter/Go
Square = Reload
Left shoulder button = Back
Right shoulder button = Forward
Directional pad = Scrolling

When you use a form, the PSP keypad pops up so you can enter text.

The PSP stores cookies in memory until you exit out to menu or shut the PSP off. So, you'll be able to use email or forums and stuff like that and not have to re-enter your info. But when you shut the PSP off or exit to menu, they are cleared. Use sleep mode (while in the browser/portal) to preserve them!

suprafreak6
12-21-2005, 01:57 AM
thats pretty simple except i already knew that
but its good for extreme noobs because the psp amkes it simple enough

silent h3ro
01-19-2006, 02:26 AM
I never knew what the WLAN power save was or what effect it had.... cool.

suprafreak6
01-21-2006, 11:43 PM
yeah and you didnt know about the lan switch on the left until i told you about it :lol:

silent h3ro
01-22-2006, 10:30 PM
:lol: I remember that. Oh I remember those days when I was a nub. :( :P

suprafreak6
01-22-2006, 10:48 PM
haha look at me i got a championship cup by my name because of the warthog game, dude get online more often anyways this guide isnt really that useful