PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Footballer Ever

JPaul
12-20-2005, 11:41 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/180px-Ronaldinho.jpg

IMHO.

His skills are nothing short of sublime and he is head and shoulders above anyone else playing.
He is the greatest player in the greatest era and as such the greatest ever.

Fan-tastic.

DorisInsinuate
12-21-2005, 12:39 AM
He always plays with a smile too, which makes him even more fun to watch.

manker
12-21-2005, 09:03 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/180px-Ronaldinho.jpg

IMHO.

His skills are nothing short of sublime and he is head and shoulders above anyone else playing.
He is the greatest player in the greatest era and as such the greatest ever.

Fan-tastic.
Steady now, Michael Barratt.

He's only 25, is playing in a league with no defenders and which frowns upon tough tackling midfielders and the trophies his teams have won, especially domestically, pales into insignificance when compared with bygone stars.

Is he really the best player around at the moment. Definitely not the most effective, to sort out United's maladies, I'd prefer to sign numbers two and three (also midfielders) in the Ballon D'Or to Ronaldinho.

He's the most skillful and the most aesthetically pleasing player in contemporary soccer by a country mile but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

JPaul
12-21-2005, 05:37 PM
He sometimes plays at international level as well and is quite good there too.

Who would you chaps nominate.

Gendy
12-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Pele...

Right now the best football player out there is no doubt:
RONALDINHO

JPaul
12-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Pele...

Right now the best football player out there is no doubt:
RONALDINHO
Don't be lazy, give reasons.

I think Pele was the greatest for a long time. However the game has moved on so far, in terms of technical ability, fitness levels etc that Ronaldinho now gets the crown.

He does what the great man did, along with things that he wouldn't even have dreamed of. That whole looking one way and flicking the ball the other is genius. The goal against chelski, from 18 yards, where he had no backlift and was surrounded by defenders, sublime.

He is that rarest of things, a sportsman who stands head and shoulders above his peers and he does it when the sport is greater than it ever has been.

Peerzy
12-25-2005, 02:05 AM
He's get skill, but little end product in him. If i had to pick a midfielder and i had to win a game i would choose Lampard, or Gerrard. If i wanted to watch some quality skillful and enjoyable football then i'd pick Leo Messi.

Ronaldinho the best in the world? He isn't even the best at Barca!

http://www.as.com/diarioasmedia/diarioas/media/200508/25/futbol/20050825dasdasftb_10_I_LCO.jpg

http://www.fourfourtwo.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/fe/de/0,,11442~2809598,00.jpg

DorisInsinuate
12-26-2005, 03:56 PM
http://www.fourfourtwo.premiumtv.co.uk/javaImages/fe/de/0,,11442~2809598,00.jpg
I wouldn't believe that buck-toothed moron, though, Ronaldinho FTW!!!! Lolorz!1

JPaul
12-26-2005, 05:33 PM
He would say that tho' wouldn't he.

I think the two consecutive "World Player of the Year" gives him a wee bit of credibility as .... the best player in the World.

Peerzy is just annoyed about that goal against Chelski.

Peerzy
12-27-2005, 12:55 AM
But we still pwn'd him, and we will again come Feb:01:

Seriously though, within the next few years Messi will be the name on everyones lips. Ronaldinho will be reduced to modeling for toothpaste:schnauz:

peat moss
12-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Ah a topic close to my heart , do you think it may an Americain one day ? Freddie Abu ? Sorry to be lazy to do a spell check, to get the last name right .

Might be the best thing to happen in the world of soccer tho ! (Ya he's not born in America. But just think in 5 years or so . )

Peerzy
12-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Freddy Adu :P

He's good, but to young and hasn't played with the big boys yet. Zidane was cartainly special. Zico, Pele, Best, Gazza & Rivaldo were also pretty special. Kaka could go onto do some magical things, remember he is playing in a league thats built around having the best defence and he's only 22. I still stand by my choice of Drogba though :snooty:

Who's to say it won't be Rooney, or C. Ronaldo, although he currently has no end product and half the time he's great and the other half he's shyte. Robben could become one of the worlds best if he recaptures his form from last season. Lampards so good as well right now, he's scoring goals, made more tackles than Gerrard this season, played a record ammount of 163 games in a row, when you consider he's playing for a team with pratically unlimited funds and a certain few world class players just waiting for him to crack a bone so they can get a match or two.

For me the all time best player ever was Pele, shame he never played in Europe. Currently the best player in the world is Lampard, just because he's got everything apart from stuid tricks that don't win you matches. For someone with the best potential in the world it's got to be Messi. Ronaldinho is possibly the most entertaining.

JPaul
12-27-2005, 12:25 PM

Seriously though, within the next few years Messi will be the name on everyones lips. Ronaldinho will be reduced to modeling for toothpaste:schnauz:
Oh sorry, I didn't realize we were including players from the future.

In that case I have no idea.

Biggles
12-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Seaman rates Ronaldinho doesn't he? :shifty:

Peerzy
12-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Oh sorry, I didn't realize we were including players from the future.

In that case I have no idea.

Fuck it, crap come back, you win :snooty:

dodgy368
01-02-2006, 11:24 AM
George Best was the best, even Pele said so.:P

All these clever tricks that Ronaldinho does was done by Best but with a ball much harder to control, especially when it was wet!

Plus, when Best did those tricks he was getting lumps kicked out of him, think Ronaldinho could've managed that? I don't.

Best was head and shoulders above the other players, Ronaldinho isn't.

Peerzy
01-02-2006, 11:50 AM
The thing is it would be impossible to compare Best/Pele with players from this era of football. I've watched hundreds of Best/Pele clips and the defenders looked a lot easier to beat, not because they were shyter but because the rules of the game at that time said no sliding tackles, no using your arms as body strength to get the ball. Current players have a lot harder job because the rules are more lax and the defenders can attempt and get away with a lot more.

manker
01-02-2006, 01:16 PM
The thing is it would be impossible to compare Best/Pele with players from this era of football. I've watched hundreds of Best/Pele clips and the defenders looked a lot easier to beat, not because they were shyter but because the rules of the game at that time said no sliding tackles, no using your arms as body strength to get the ball. Current players have a lot harder job because the rules are more lax and the defenders can attempt and get away with a lot more.Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about :lol:

Either you're rodding or that's the biggest load of rubbish I've ever read :P

Back in the day defenders were allowed to tackle two footed from behind, slide tackling/using body strength to get the ball most certainly was allowed and hardly anyone got sent off for foul play, certainly nowhere near the levels that we see today. Strikers and wingers got the absolute shit kicked out of them repeatedly and the offenders got away with it. Also, players used to be allowed to shoulder charge 'keepers when they had the ball in their hand (Nat Lofthouse dislocated Harry Gregg's, Man Utd's goalie, shoulder twice in two seasons). The late fifties and sixties was probably the roughest era of all.

Over the years, the laws of the game have been subtly altered such that skillful players are more protected by refs and thugs can no longer prosper - well that's the idea anyhow, talentless thugs like Essien still manage to find a niche in contemporary puntsphere.

Peerzy
01-02-2006, 03:37 PM
The thing is it would be impossible to compare Best/Pele with players from this era of football. I've watched hundreds of Best/Pele clips and the defenders looked a lot easier to beat, not because they were shyter but because the rules of the game at that time said no sliding tackles, no using your arms as body strength to get the ball. Current players have a lot harder job because the rules are more lax and the defenders can attempt and get away with a lot more.Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about :lol:

Back in the day defenders were allowed to tackle two footed from behind, slide tackling/using body strength to get the ball most certainly was allowed and hardly anyone got sent off for foul play, certainly nowhere near the levels that we see today. Strikers and wingers got the absolute shit kicked out of them repeatedly and the offenders got away with it. Also, players used to be allowed to shoulder charge 'keepers when they had the ball in their hand (Nat Lofthouse dislocated Harry Gregg's, Man Utd's goalie, shoulder twice in two seasons). The late fifties and sixties was probably the roughest era of all.

Over the years, the laws of the game have been subtly altered such that skillful players are more protected by refs and thugs can no longer prosper - well that's the idea anyhow, talentless thugs like Essien still manage to find a niche in contemporary puntsphere.

Im not rodding, although i should really say i am just to keep my credability n all:unsure:

Seriously from all the clips i've seen of Best/Pele stuff they have litterally been able to run rings arround static defenders who woulnd't dare do a diving tackle.

Essien is misunderstood. Mind you im sure you of all people remember this Manker.

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3MC7PT8HV6TWB041D87SXZQ13Y

JPaul
01-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Today's skill levels, fitnesss levels and tactical awareness are better than they ever were. Fact. To say nothing of sports science, physiotherspy, psychology etc.

Today's greatest player is the greatest ever. That's Ronaldinho, the majority of those and such as those in the game agree with me.

Everyone else is wrong.

manker
01-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Today's skill levels, fitnesss levels and tactical awareness are better than they ever were. Fact. To say nothing of sports science, physiotherspy, psychology etc.

Today's greatest player is the greatest ever. That's Ronaldinho, the majority of those and such as those in the game agree with me.

Everyone else is wrong.Yeah, there is that argument.

If you look at it that way, today's professionals have a distinct advantage because they've been exposed to the better coaching and conditioning. Pele didn't have that advantage but then you can also counter and say that neither did the midfielders and defenders which opposed him.

:dabs:

As I said earlier, I don't think Ronaldinho is the best player in the world. He's the best at what he does and certainly the most skillful but skill is only one component in a footballer. I would say that that dirty fouling scouse bastard, Gerrard, is a better all round player. So is Lampard.

I'd much prefer a player like Keane, at his peak, to be in my team than Ronaldinho. As such, I'd say that he is a better exponant of the footballing art.

manker
01-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Peerzy, what the fuck are you talking about :lol:

Im not rodding, although i should really say i am just to keep my credability n all:unsure:

Seriously from all the clips i've seen of Best/Pele stuff they have litterally been able to run rings arround static defenders who woulnd't dare do a diving tackle.

Essien is misunderstood. Mind you im sure you of all people remember this Manker.

Uploading the clip now.
Just rodding about Essien, cracking player - but he is a dirty fouling git from Ghana :P

JPaul
01-02-2006, 05:25 PM

Everyone else is wrong.Yeah, there is that argument.

If you look at it that way, today's professionals have a distinct advantage because they've been exposed to the better coaching and conditioning. Pele didn't have that advantage but then you can also counter and say that neither did the midfielders and defenders which opposed him.

Indeed they were not as good as the ones Ronaldinho faces

:dabs:

As I said earlier, I don't think Ronaldinho is the best player in the world. He's the best at what he does and certainly the most skillful but skill is only one component in a footballer. I would say that that dirty fouling scouse bastard, Gerrard, is a better all round player. So is Lampard.

Didn't they ask you prior to awarding him the Player of the year, either time.

I'd much prefer a player like Keane, at his peak, to be in my team than Ronaldinho. As such, I'd say that he is a better exponant of the footballing art.

I'd rather have both, perhaps he is a Hoops fan :blink:

What of this Pele chap, I take it he wasn't great just because of his skill, he had these other attributes that Ronaldinho lacks.

dodgy368
01-02-2006, 06:34 PM

Everyone else is wrong.

Nope, that's a load of rubbish, Ronaldinho would've had the crap kicked out of him in the 60's, Best would still be the greatest if he'd played now.:P

Peerzy
01-02-2006, 08:53 PM

Uploading the clip now.
Just rodding about Essien, cracking player - but he is a dirty fouling git from Ghana :P

Personally from what i've seen this season i would still rather play Eider Gudjohnsen than Essien. Gudjohnsen adds so much in way of linking attack and midfield and his range of passing is only just bettered by that of Rooneys. I heard so much of Essien's box to box runs and long range screamers but so far all i've seen is him playing quite games and making tackles Mackelele style.

eaurouge
06-11-2006, 05:49 PM
It was in July 1986, in the 10th minute of the Worldcupquarterfinal Argentina vs England. 5 Minutes after scoring the famous "Hand of God"-Goal the same argentinian player gets the ball and the following 13 second are the biggest humiliation a english Team ever faced in its whole history. The young Maradona passes 5 English players + the goalkeeper an scores the most wonderfull goal in Worldcup history.
He is the one and only star of Mexico 86, won the worldcup nearly on his own, won the italian championship twice and the Uefa Cup while playing for Naples which is like winnig the premier Leage with a Backmarker Team being the only star.
There have been many stars in footbalhistory but no one is worthy to be compared with Diego Armando Maradona!

DorisInsinuate
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
A simple "MARADONA!" announced with tourette's-like glee would have sufficed there.

I think I just referenced a post from somewhere aswell as an album's sleeve notes :no:

Seedler
06-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Ronaldinho, no contest really.

juve
06-22-2006, 07:55 AM
Ronaldiho of course

Barbarossa
06-22-2006, 09:17 AM
Geoff Astle. :snooty:

discarnage
06-22-2006, 10:51 AM
George Best :shifty:

maebach
06-22-2006, 08:40 PM
franz beckenbauer or michel platini .ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peerzy
06-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Ronaldinho bottles it again today, so far in the 3 world cup games he's played shyte, plus he played shyte against Le Arse in the CL final, im not convinced he's a big match player quite yet.