PDA

View Full Version : Top XP Tweaks you can't live without.

Wolfmight
12-22-2005, 03:28 PM
Name one or a few that you like.

For me,
Turning off System Restore

I've got a 500GB HD and I still fill the bastard up to max. I can't have windows storing it's crap in my occasional 30% free space.

zapjb
12-22-2005, 04:09 PM
System restore IF used properly is a valued asset. But ya can't have more than 2 or 3 restore & expect it to work properly. I love people who never clear their restore points. They have like over a dozen. Then complain it doesn't work. rofl
But my favorite tweak, really a preference. Is to turn on: Single click to open an item. I fn hate double click.

orcutt989
12-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Having XP display the full extension of a file, and turning of Hiberation and a Screen saver, I just shut off my monitor.

Barbarossa
12-22-2005, 05:46 PM
Classic Mode. I can pretend I'm still using 98... :dabs:

Barbarossa
12-22-2005, 05:50 PM
I love people who never clear their restore points. They have like over a dozen. Then complain it doesn't work. rofl

You must love me then... :wub:

Incidentally, how do I clear my restore points, exactly? :blink:

zapjb
12-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Today 01:50 PM
Barbarossa ...Incidentally, how do I clear my restore points, exactly?
First make sure your computers the way you want, stable etc. Cause doing this you're going to wipe out all but the last restore point.
Start - Accessories - System Tools - Disk Cleanup - More Options - System Restore - Clean up... - Yes - OK - Yes.

Wolfmight
12-22-2005, 08:20 PM
I use Norton Ghost to back-up my 4gb Windows XP Partition. All my software is on another and my documents is on a third. Really helps.

orcutt989
12-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Classic Mode. I can pretend I'm still using 98... :dabs:

Likewise, Ive never used the xp theme, only classic. I like it, and fast log on times!

zapjb
12-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I use Classic mode as well.

Wolfmight
12-22-2005, 09:51 PM
havn't use classic in awhile, but I just gave it another try and yes...it's much faster. Windows rather "flash" open now.

peat moss
12-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Ya classic is the first one then under advanced settings set for best performance . I set a few computers up and like to format mine at least once every 3 months but fortget half the time how to do it .

I like this site while not updated often it still does a good job, use the menu on the left .

http://www.tweakxp.com/

To be honest you get lazy in your old age and I do like Tuneup utilities 2006 for the shit I forgot . Dont forget to update drivers tho its a big part of it especially video now . :frusty:

sArA
12-23-2005, 12:27 AM
On Classic it is just easier to find what you need imo.

Wolfmight
12-23-2005, 12:58 AM
TuneUp 2006 is pretty nice. You can use any wallpaper for your bootscreen and it does all the work for you. Peace'o'cake!

Edit: The Registry Cleaner does a major boost in speed on your system too! Damn, I've never seen such a boost from cleaning the registry before! You guys should try turbo-chargin your speed with this one! Merry Christmas, free speed for all!

peat moss
12-23-2005, 01:18 AM
TuneUp 2006 is pretty nice. You can use any wallpaper for your bootscreen and it does all the work for you. Peace'o'cake!

Edit: The Registry Cleaner does a major boost in speed on your system too! Damn, I've never seen such a boost from cleaning the registry before! You guys should try turbo-chargin your speed with this one! Merry Christmas, free speed for all!

Hey buddie thats the neat thing , it is so easy ! :) Add a good Defragger and your set to go .

peat moss
12-23-2005, 01:34 AM
OOps first thing I do is turn off System Restore but thats just me , not recomended for everyone but thats how I set up mine . Each to thier own tho . :)

I do apoligise for the double post , can't wait till I get my " Real Computer " back . Thought I learned patience from dealing with said problem . Nope ...! :blushing:

Wolfmight
12-23-2005, 05:19 AM
diskeeper 10 all the way for me

S!X
12-23-2005, 06:17 AM
diskeeper 10 all the way for me
Best defragger of all time :01:

maebach
12-23-2005, 07:23 PM
after using diskeeper I've always had to reformat because of hdd problems

:frusty: :angry: :cry:

Wolfmight
12-23-2005, 07:33 PM
doesn't sound like diskeeper was causing it...

zapjb
12-23-2005, 08:08 PM
@maebach I believe it. I like O&O or PerfectDisk.

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Improve CPU performance.

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory management.

change the key 'secondleveldatacache' to:

200 if your Level2 Cache = 512 kb
400 if your Level2 Cache = 1mb
etc...

_____

Disable Indexing Service

go into "My Computer", right-click on all your hard drive partitions one at a time, left-click "Properties". Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".

_____

Disable Windows XP Sounds

To disable all Windows XP task sounds go to "Start", "Settings", "Control Panel", "Sounds and Audio Devices", select the "Sounds" tab, under "Sound Scheme" select "No Sounds".

_____

Disable Windows Services (http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html#Services) you don't need!

maebach
12-23-2005, 09:05 PM
doesn't sound like diskeeper was causing it...

It's happened to me twice, the first time I thought it was a virus, and the second time I also thought it was a viru, but until I started using diskeeper, the pc was always running fine.

@zapjb: I'll try O%O and perfectdisk. thanks

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 09:09 PM
after using diskeeper I've always had to reformat because of hdd problems

:frusty: :angry: :cry:

same here. :ph34r:

zapjb
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
rotfl :)I'll still try to be polite about it.

Guillaume
12-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Improve CPU performance.

hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\session manager\memory management.

change the key 'secondleveldatacache' to:

200 if your Level2 Cache = 512 kb
400 if your Level2 Cache = 1mb
etc...

:blink:

If you do not set this registry value, Windows will use the HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for retrieval of the L2 cache size automatically on boot up. If this fails, a default value of 256KB is used. This is where the myth that XP can only use 256KB of L2 cache comes from. But it's false. The SecondLevelDataCache is designed as a secondary source of cache size information for computers on which the HAL cannot detect the L2 cache. The HAL is able to retrieve the L2 cache size from any CPU using the set-associative cache design (Pentium II or newer), it's only the relatively few older processors with direct-mapped L2 caches that the HAL will not recognize. This tweak only applies to older computers (Pentium I or older) with over 64 MB of memory. On these older systems, this tweak can improve performance by about 0.4%. Pentium II and later CPUs are not affected

Wolfmight
12-23-2005, 11:54 PM
I wish the CPU cache was upgradable onto the cpu. My Sempron 64 only has 256mb Level1 and 128mb Level2. I feel these little caches cause the "first time" lags I get in games.

fkdup74
12-24-2005, 05:11 AM
this is no shit....I have to have this reg tweak or else I hate XP...
the "copy to/move to" in the right-click menu
makes movin shit off the desktop (where all my FF downloads go :P) a little quicker
right-click, move to, select the directory, done

I usually prefer to have indexing & sys restore off as well,
but just been too lazy to turn em off this time around :lol:

backlash
12-24-2005, 02:53 PM
makes movin shit off the desktop (where all my FF downloads go :P) a little quicker

why don't you just set it up so you choose where to save each file instead of having to move them afterwards?

peat moss
12-24-2005, 10:47 PM

why don't you just set it up so you choose where to save each file instead of having to move them afterwards?

I love these kind of discussions and like I said it me takes me about a week to set my puter up how me likes it ! And thats with a slipstreamed disk ;) !

But forgot about the page file and the mtf boot defrag,. Useing a program like O & O or Diskeeper to name a few . Ah priceless ! :01:

Edit " Spellling " and Forgot to Wish a Merry Chrsitmas to you all .

Oh shit IKE , Big nuts buddie ! :lol:

digmen1
12-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Great thread !

fkdup74
12-28-2005, 10:19 AM

because I change my mind often :wacko:

@peat - perfectdisk > diskeeper/o&o/*
and....and....and....my dog can beat up your dog! :w00t: :01: :P

Santa
12-28-2005, 07:39 PM
I use most of these in one shot

http://artads.50webs.com/Super_Registry_Tweak.htm

TheRenegade
01-01-2006, 05:18 AM
You gotta use Tweak XP for this, but I LOVE turning off the shortcut arrows and the "shortcut to" in new shortcuts. I hate those arrows.

Also, turning off the Error Reporting.

cpt_azad
01-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Disable Indexing Service

go into "My Computer", right-click on all your hard drive partitions one at a time, left-click "Properties". Uncheck "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching".

Should I check the:

Do it for C:\ only
Do it for C:\ and all subfolders

sorry if that sounds idiotic (im guessing its the second one w/ subfolders and all) but just needed to clarify. what does it exacltly do? and will it make it faster at all or no noticeable change?

{I}{K}{E}
01-01-2006, 01:21 PM
Do it for C:\ and all subfolders ;)

The Indexing Service in Windows XP indexes your files presumably to shorten the time needed to search your hard drive if you are looking for a specific file or part of a phrase inside a file. However, the constant indexing of files actually slows down system performance and does not benefit search performance except for extreme complex searches

peat moss
01-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Does anyone remember the CHKDSK time out tweak ? I can't find it .:lol:

But found this site while googling for it mentions keyboard short cuts while not really a tweak its still neat . Some other good tweaks aswell . :)

http://www.theeldergeek.com/keyboard_shortcuts_for_xp.htm

fkdup74
01-02-2006, 03:11 AM

you mean to make it pause so you can actually see wtf it has to say? :unsure:

peat moss
01-02-2006, 03:56 AM

you mean to make it pause so you can actually see wtf it has to say? :unsure:

No bud it works with the boot defrag, The 10 sec. delay with chkdsk ? :)

It works with Diskeeper , O & O and Perfect Disk . :)

When you do a boot defrag. chkdsk always pops up first ! I just what to kill the 10 sec. delay . You know ?

peat moss
01-02-2006, 04:12 AM
Ah shit its funny I did get a kick out of the keyboard short cuts:

DELETE = delete . Hell who would of known ? Wait where's the anykey ?

cpt_azad
01-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Ah shit its funny I did get a kick out of the keyboard short cuts:

DELETE = delete . Hell who would of known ? Wait where's the anykey ?

:lol::lol:, now, where's that tab i ordered

Wolfmight
01-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Tweaking Myths
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/SupportCD/XPMyths.html

digmen1
01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Silly question as I should be able to find it but

How do you turn off the little yellow balloons (with File information) that come up in Windows XP Explorer in Detail View.

It makes it very hard when studing a list of files when that bloody balloon keeps coming up and hiding the other file names.

Thanks Digby
NZ

harrycary
01-04-2006, 12:52 AM
How do you turn off the little yellow balloons (with File information) that come up in Windows XP Explorer in Detail View.

Open Windows Explorer, click tools>folder options and click the "view" tab.

Under "advanced settings" you will find one of the last items will allow you to change this.

"Must-do" weaks include changing the pagefile to a smaller size and changing the restore size(about 3% is enough).
I also turn off the restore feature and reboot every once in awhile to clear it.

There are many, many others for which Google is your friend.

digmen1
01-04-2006, 02:30 AM
Thanks for that Harry.

I knew it would there somewhere, but why do they hide it under Advanced Settings ?

Regards

Digby