PDA

View Full Version : The DaVinci Code

JPaul
12-23-2005, 09:47 PM
What a load of pish, I won't be reading that well.

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/

ziggyjuarez
12-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Broken video file.

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 09:52 PM
Broken video file.

install Quicktime (Alternative)...

ziggyjuarez
12-23-2005, 09:53 PM

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 09:55 PM

twisterX
12-23-2005, 09:56 PM
what the hell is the davinchi code.

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 09:57 PM
what the hell is the davinchi code.

a book?

twisterX
12-23-2005, 09:58 PM
about????

JPaul
12-23-2005, 09:59 PM
Dan Brown believes it's based on historical fact.

So do some of his readers.

{I}{K}{E}
12-23-2005, 10:00 PM
about????

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ.

twisterX
12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
not my type of book

ziggyjuarez
12-23-2005, 10:01 PM
most people know its bullshit.No need to expect any thing high from it.

JPaul
12-23-2005, 10:02 PM
about????

A murder in the silent after-hour halls of the Louvre museum reveals a sinister plot to uncover a secret that has been protected by a clandestine society since the days of Christ.
Hoi, don't ruin it for the gullible befuddled dolts who might actually read it.

twisterX
12-23-2005, 10:03 PM
ah feck it

maebach
12-23-2005, 11:06 PM
I read it and I thought it was a really good book until the ending. Although some of the facts are wrong, the storyline and characters and theat kinda stuff is good.

MagicNakor
12-24-2005, 05:21 AM
I've read it. It's a pretty good book. ;)

There are facts woven through the theories (most of which are fairly well-known anyway), though, which is why I imagine people seem to think it's less of a fiction novel and more of a historical account.

:shuriken:

JPaul
12-24-2005, 10:11 AM
I've read it. It's a pretty good book. ;)

There are facts woven through the theories (most of which are fairly well-known anyway), though, which is why I imagine people seem to think it's less of a fiction novel and more of a historical account.

I think you'll find there is pish woven thro' it, rather than facts. The theories are also the worst kind of bunkum. Wild hypothesis based on total conjecture, based on fraudulent "evidence".

People think it's a historical account because Dan Brown has stated that it's a novel based on actual historical events, records and art.

Spider_dude
12-24-2005, 03:47 PM
all dan browns books are good reads but utter pish if you know what i mean. that angels and demons the pope got some nun up the duff, but then he didnt nail her he infact artificially inseminated her. then in digital fortress some super computer got melted and some guy got heart attacked by some assasin. was easy to read, read both books in 2 days but at the end i was like wtf? pish.

JPaul
12-24-2005, 03:49 PM
all dan browns books are good reads but utter pish if you know what i mean. that angels and demons the pope got some nun up the duff, but then he didnt nail her he infact artificially inseminated her. then in digital fortress some super computer got melted and some guy got heart attacked by some assasin. was easy to read, read both books in 2 days but at the end i was like wtf? pish.
What a good precis, could you do some others, save me time in reading pish.

Spider_dude
12-24-2005, 03:50 PM
most douglas coupland books are pish also.

MagicNakor
12-24-2005, 06:30 PM
I think you'll find there is pish woven thro' it, rather than facts. The theories are also the worst kind of bunkum. Wild hypothesis based on total conjecture, based on fraudulent "evidence".

People think it's a historical account because Dan Brown has stated that it's a novel based on actual historical events, records and art.

There are facts woven through it, however. ;) I haven't read it in some time now, so I can't cite examples, but a few things corroberate history. More things sound plausible enough to people who only have a passing understanding of the era and/or da Vinci, and some things are outright "pish" (though those aforementioned people wouldn't know that).

I recall the Catholic Church being very upset with it.

My extensive arts and histories education finally pays off? Though, knowing this forum, I'll be asked to cite examples, which'll mean reading it again...guess I'd better dig it out. ;)

:shruiken:

JPaul
12-24-2005, 06:40 PM
I recall the Catholic Church being very upset with it.

Didn't he make some ridiculous claims about Opus Dei in the book.

Oh and you can understand them getting a wee hair upset when he said that most of their teachings about Jesus were incorrect. I think most religions would get upset in similar circumstances. At least they didn't taka a fatwah out on him.

Or did they.

GepperRankins
12-24-2005, 06:49 PM
based on fact :dabs:

JPaul
12-24-2005, 06:50 PM
based on fact :dabs:
:nob: off, Rodney R Roddington Jnr.

GepperRankins
12-24-2005, 06:53 PM
i'm just saying. a sensical theory is what started him thinking of the ideas for these books :smilie4:

so based on fact as in, fact started them, not that the stories are really tangled up with fact as much as people think :ermm:

JPaul
12-24-2005, 07:08 PM
i'm just saying. a sensical theory is what started him thinking of the ideas for these books :smilie4:

so based on fact as in, fact started them, not that the stories are really tangled up with fact as much as people think :ermm:
The "theory" which he based the novel on was pish.

Strangely enough I did actually read "The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail" when it came out at first and did quite enjoy it. That however was about 20 years ago.

GepperRankins
12-24-2005, 07:15 PM
:dabs:

not read the book, we do have it in the house though :ermm:

i'll read it and get back to you though. i do believe teh jesus survived the crucifixion and then went to do more family stuff :unsure:

j2k4
12-24-2005, 07:16 PM
There are facts woven through it, however.

And just look at the reaction one can achieve by the 'weaving' of a few facts...

The ostensible "novel" becomes "proof" of a "conspiracy".

I am glad for such tripe; I can legitimately spend down my over-supply of punctuation. :dry:

MagicNakor
12-24-2005, 07:17 PM
It's merely interesting to note, as many novels (and films) allege a great many things about the Catholic Church, which traditionally remains silent. Speaking out this time probably made people go, "Hmm. Maybe there's something to it."

What I would've done in that position though, I really can't say.

JPaul
12-24-2005, 07:19 PM

You just aren't Pope material.

j2k4
12-24-2005, 07:20 PM
It's merely interesting to note, as many novels (and films) allege a great many things about the Catholic Church, which traditionally remains silent. Speaking out this time probably made people go, "Hmm. Maybe there's something to it."

True enough.

Sensitivities are rather high these days...

GepperRankins
12-24-2005, 07:21 PM
i just look at it this way ... :smilie4:

MagicNakor
12-24-2005, 07:25 PM

For more reasons than you think. :lol:

hobbes
12-24-2005, 07:27 PM

Add a little baby cham to the mix and I think I know what JP thinks you would have done, you knob licker.

Thank you, I'll be taking things out of context for the remainer of the day.

GepperRankins
12-24-2005, 07:28 PM

you believe in god? :o

Gemby!
12-24-2005, 07:29 PM
the bit where he jumps out of the helicopter in angels and demons - LMAO

JPaul
12-24-2005, 07:29 PM

Well I had always thought you 5hit in the woods, which is very Popesque

Damnatory
12-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Why not read it? That way you can understand how entertaining this fictional story is, rather than speculating.

Any story, whether fiction or not, deserves to be taken as seriously as this one has if the story is compelling enough. The "facts" that you're so intent on debunking, fact or fiction, were intended to be just another theory for people to contemplate, rather than the same old cookie-cutter reverent beliefs.

Though I must say, for being such a load of "pish", the Catholic Church has made quite a fuss about it, rather than ignoring it like they do with every other theory that threatens their beliefs system. Which at best seems, suspicious...

MagicNakor
12-25-2005, 05:53 AM
I couldn't be Pope because I'm not Catholic.

Gutterminds.

Khan's Grape
12-25-2005, 10:32 AM
He has a very boring name so I doubt I shall bother to read any of his works.

thewizeard
12-25-2005, 10:46 AM
I rather like the idea, to imagine that sons and daughters of Jesus still walk this satanic Earth...

Damnatory
12-25-2005, 06:38 PM
Yeah, cause everyone knows boring names result in terrible literature. :dry:

JPaul
12-25-2005, 07:15 PM

Any story, whether fiction or not, deserves to be taken as seriously as this one has
Why

Khan's Grape
12-25-2005, 11:12 PM

Name me 10 good writers with only one syllable in their surname.

I rest my case.

Damnatory
12-26-2005, 03:07 AM
I rest my case.

Anne Rice
Dean Koontz
Dan Brown
H.G. Wells
Edgar Allen Poe (Not an author, but you said writer didn't you...)
Stephen King
Mark Twain
Jules Verne
John Case
Oscar Wilde
:ermm: Those come to mind rather easily...

Khan's Grape
12-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I rest my case.

Anne Rice
Dean Koontz
Dan Brown
H.G. Wells
Edgar Allen Poe (Not an author, but you said writer didn't you...)
Stephen King
Mark Twain
Jules Verne
John Case
Oscar Wilde
:ermm: Those come to mind rather easily...

Koontz for feck's sake? Are you a mental at all?

Rice, Brown and King are all average writers at best. John Case is a fictional construct. Verne is French, Poe & Twain are American and Wilde doesn't count.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00020HBX2.01.THUMBZZZ.jpg

MagicNakor
12-26-2005, 09:57 AM
That's a very... lenient usage of "good."

Damnatory
12-26-2005, 10:24 AM

Given the limit of one syllable, I mean, come on... :lol:

JPaul
12-26-2005, 11:09 AM

Yeah, but you chose to ignore that rule anyway.

Damnatory
12-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Explain

JPaul
12-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Explain
Which part

thewizeard
12-27-2005, 06:16 PM
...see thread, " Post Something"

Barbarossa
01-03-2006, 10:58 AM
I couldn't be Pope because I'm not Catholic.

Is the Pope a Catholic? :huh:

Spider_dude
01-03-2006, 12:43 PM
the pope is really a t-rex which was born really small, small enough to bite a mans face off and wear it me thinks.

thewizeard
01-03-2006, 01:07 PM
..but that's OK because you can get a face-transplant these days....in France erm. .:lookaroun

Biggles
01-03-2006, 01:09 PM
the pope is really a t-rex which was born really small, small enough to bite a mans face off and wear it me thinks.

An interesting theory and perhaps slightly more convincing than the Dracula one I have seen :shifty:

With regards the book, I haven't read it although I have seen a couple of documentaries. A hotch potch of conspiracies it would seem which as a novel is fair enough.

Clearly something was going with Leonardo and his Last Supper but Leonardo was a strange man given to performimg autopsies at night and writing his notes backwards etc., The depiction of John is seriously feminine no matter how it is spun but that might have more to do with Lenardo's sexuality than anything else.

Spider_dude
01-03-2006, 01:11 PM
are you saying leonardo and baz were in a gay relationship? whatever will junno think?

thewizeard
01-03-2006, 01:28 PM
It's not at all surprising, after nearly 2000 years ...
What actually happened to Jesus and his family, that's what the real story over the " code" and the Holy Grail, is about.
Mary plays an essential role in the Catholic belief, but not the Mary we are led to believe. The baby is also not Jesus. The baby is the Holy Grail, Jesus's blood line, protected by the Catholic church itself. Mark my words...within a short time the truth will be made public... I would say within 6 years...

....I have not read the book yet, although I do have it shared :)

Barbarossa
01-03-2006, 02:21 PM
Whether the basis of the story is true or false does not stop it being quite a good book, imho.

Of course, even if it's all true, so what? Jesus was just an ordinary bloke after all... :dabs: Also, the fact that the Catholic church has shaped the bible and moulded the Christian faith in order to control the populace is much more accepted now than it was, say 100 years ago.

JPaul
01-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Whether the basis of the story is true or false does not stop it being quite a good book, imho.

Of course, even if it's all true, so what? Jesus was just an ordinary bloke after all... :dabs: Also, the fact that the Catholic church has shaped the bible and moulded the Christian faith in order to control the populace is much more accepted now than it was, say 100 years ago.
That is spite of the fact that it didn't exist when the Old Testament was written.

The Catholic Church has no postion on whether Jesus was married or not. Neither has it any position on whether he had children or not. It really makes no difference with regard to either his divinity or his humanity.

Mary (of Magdala) has been ill treated by history. She was one of the most important figures in the New Testament.

Barbarossa
01-03-2006, 03:11 PM

That is spite of the fact that it didn't exist when the Old Testament was written.

The Old Testament may indeed have remained untouched, which is probably why God is depicted as a vengeful spiteful old bastard in the OT, and some kind of peace n' love hippy-character in the NT...

The Catholic Church has no postion on whether Jesus was married or not. Neither has it any position on whether he had children or not. It really makes no difference with regard to either his divinity or his humanity.

It probably does to the Catholic church though, which is why I thought we are led to believe he was celibate, because he was above such things as pleasures of the flesh.

Mary (of Magdala) has been ill treated by history. She was one of the most important figures in the New Testament.

Didn't they do a cut n' paste job on teh Gospels, keeping the ones they liked and binning the ones they didn't like?

I admit, I'm commenting on a subject I have only a cursory knowledge of, and even less of an interest in.

Maybe I have in fact been brainwashed? This is quite likely... :ermm:

maebach
01-03-2006, 03:27 PM
maybe that jesus general should come in here?

JPaul
01-03-2006, 05:00 PM

It probably does to the Catholic church though, which is why I thought we are led to believe he was celibate, because he was above such things as pleasures of the flesh.

Didn't they do a cut n' paste job on teh Gospels, keeping the ones they liked and binning the ones they didn't like?

No, honestly, the Catholic Church does not take a position on whether Christ was married or not. It sort of follows from that they don't take a position on Him being celibate or not.

Some people argue that the "gnostic" Gospels were rejected by the early Church, the sectio which prevailed obviousement. This includes the Gospel according to Mary (of Magdela). The reason for this was that they thought they may be a wee bit mental. One speaks of Jesus as a child and how he used his miraculous powers to turn lumps of clay into living birds, do away with other children who annoyed him and stuff like that. The Church questioned where they got this information from and how likely it was to be true. It seemed incongruous with His later life and teachings.

Spider_dude
01-03-2006, 10:38 PM
i liked in southpark the bit where they are reading the tablet moses brought down and it says celebrate not celibate. i dont however like the insinuation that priests molest wee boys.

JPaul
01-03-2006, 10:41 PM
i liked in southpark the bit where they are reading the tablet moses brought down and it says celebrate not celibate. i dont however like the insinuation that priests molest wee boys.
Of course they do, so do accountants, teachers, telephone technicians, bank clerks, policemen, graphic artists, plumbers, lumberjacks, doctors, sailors, students, chefs, football managers, tree surgeons, driving instructors, vets ...

manker
01-03-2006, 10:44 PM
Of course they do, so do accountants, teachers, telephone technicians, bank clerks, policemen, graphic artists, plumbers, lumberjacks, doctors, sailors, students, chefs, football managers, tree surgeons, driving instructors, vets ...I think spd's point was that they're just not interested in him anymore :no:

JPaul
01-03-2006, 10:58 PM
Of course they do, so do accountants, teachers, telephone technicians, bank clerks, policemen, graphic artists, plumbers, lumberjacks, doctors, sailors, students, chefs, football managers, tree surgeons, driving instructors, vets ...I think spd's point was that they're just not interested in him anymore :no:
Too old mate, he turned 14.

manker
01-03-2006, 11:00 PM
Ah. Happy 14th, spd :01:

JPaul
01-03-2006, 11:02 PM
He was racing at Cowes, nobby.

manker
01-03-2006, 11:13 PM
He was racing at Cowes, nobby.A child prodigy.

You don't get many of them to the pound - even less to the dollar.

JPaul
01-03-2006, 11:19 PM
He was racing at Cowes, nobby.A child prodigy.

You don't get many of them to the pound - even less to the dollar.
You want to pound a child prodigy.

One can only hope you mean punch to the ground.

manker
01-03-2006, 11:23 PM
On a completely related note, that Dougie Howser guy was in Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle.

Looked almost normal, he did. I didn't want to pound him and never have, FYI :smilie4:

JPaul
01-03-2006, 11:31 PM
On a completely related note, that Dougie Howser guy was in Harold and Kumar go to Whitecastle.

Looked almost normal, he did. I didn't want to pound him and never have, FYI :smilie4:
I'm sure Mrs manker is pleased you have never pounded Dougie Houseboy.

foxyboy656
04-26-2006, 12:00 AM
the flim the davinci code any got it

Seedler
04-26-2006, 12:19 AM
Is it even out yet?

maebach
04-26-2006, 12:36 AM
comes in theatres in june I think