PDA

View Full Version : Which DVD burner?

j2k4
12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
I'm gonna buy another DVD burner, as my Sony DRU-510 seems to have gone on permanent vacation.

I'm leery of the Sony DRU-810, because of what has become of my (very lightly-used) DRU-510.

I don't want to spend the money on the Plextor 716A, because Blu-ray and other changes are just around the corner.

I'm leaning towards the NEC-3550.

Dirt cheap, efficient, reasonably fast, and bullet-proof.

Thoughts?

Virtualbody1234
12-24-2005, 07:34 PM
Your idea for the NEC is good but I have heard that there was some problems with the first firmware. Probably sorted by now.

j2k4
12-24-2005, 09:14 PM
I think I read that too; it was cured (natch) with the latest firmware update.

It just seems to be a drive that is solid in every catagory.

BTW-

Any opinions on the bundled Nero software accompanying the drive?

3RA1N1AC
12-24-2005, 10:24 PM
i haven't had any bad experiences with sony products, myself, but i do read a lot of complaints about their durability. it almost sounds as if they're designed to break shortly after the warranty expires. hmm...

i've had a pioneer burner for a couple of years, and it's always been very reliable despite the fact that i use it to write discs at least once every few days. it has no problem recognizing and writing onto whatever brands of dvd-r i try, from premium quality discs to blank-label generics. the discs it's written have presented no problem to 4 different brands of dvd-video players and 3 different game consoles.

can't really comment on other brands, but my experience with a pioneer burner has been nothing but good, so i wouldn't hesitate at all to recommend it.

as for nero, i use it regularly and prefer it over any other burn program i've tried. haven't messed around with any of the other related programs in the nero suite, but the burning program works as it should in windows xp, as good as any other.

j2k4
12-24-2005, 11:01 PM
i haven't had any bad experiences with sony products, myself, but i do read a lot of complaints about their durability. it almost sounds as if they're designed to break shortly after the warranty expires. hmm...

as for nero, i use it regularly and prefer it over any other burn program i've tried. haven't messed around with any of the other related programs in the nero suite, but the burning program works as it should in windows xp, as good as any other.

My experience with the Sony was that it worked superbly...right up to the point it stopped working.

The website was not at all helpful, and, as you mentioned, the warranty was only recently expired.

After having been a Sony fan for quite some time, I'll stay away until I hear something different.

Glad to hear about Nero, though; I gather that it's somewhat resource-intensive and, uh...large, but hey, if it works well, right? :)

Darth Sushi
12-24-2005, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about blu-ray too much. I'm sure the inital media cost will keep us mere mortals away for a few more years. Even dual-layer media today is still too expensive.

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2005, 12:04 AM
If you have the choice between a drive with Nero included or not then you don't really need it. You can download Nero. Depends on the price difference.

j2k4
12-25-2005, 01:04 AM
If you have the choice between a drive with Nero included or not then you don't really need it. You can download Nero. Depends on the price difference.

I found it bundled with the drive for about $40 US.

That's not too bad, I don't think.

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2005, 02:03 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152059

j2k4
12-25-2005, 02:07 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152059

I think I came up at the price I noted because I was shopping it in black.

I'll do a bit more looking before I jump-probably order it next week sometime. :)

Virtualbody1234
12-25-2005, 02:23 AM
Boxing week specials!

accat13
12-25-2005, 03:21 AM
I'm gonna buy another DVD burner, as my Sony DRU-510 seems to have gone on permanent vacation.

I'm leery of the Sony DRU-810, because of what has become of my (very lightly-used) DRU-510.

I don't want to spend the money on the Plextor 716A, because Blu-ray and other changes are just around the corner.

Thoughts? The Sony dru-810 is a benq 1640 clone...its a pretty good drive nothing to fear there.You can also cross flash to a 1640 then receive all the support from the qsuite tools http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150992&highlight=dru-810

Merry Xmas all

j2k4
12-25-2005, 01:45 PM

Thoughts? The Sony dru-810 is a benq 1640 clone...its a pretty good drive nothing to fear there.You can also cross flash to a 1640 then receive all the support from the qsuite tools http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150992&highlight=dru-810

Merry Xmas all

That's something to consider.

Nothing wrong with Benq, after all.

Would that there was similar support for my DRU-510...:huh:

lee551
12-25-2005, 07:17 PM
just got the nec 3550 for xmas and its keeping me smiling. burned a few dvds and cds with nero 7 and its performing well.

i spose i should look around for a firmware update. i saw someone mention it on the first page.

accat13
12-25-2005, 09:07 PM
The Sony dru-810 is a benq 1640 clone...its a pretty good drive nothing to fear there.You can also cross flash to a 1640 then receive all the support from the qsuite tools http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150992&highlight=dru-810

Merry Xmas all
That's something to consider.

Nothing wrong with Benq, after all.

Would that there was similar support for my DRU-510...:huh:
Fortunately the 510 was a true sony and received there great support LOL

lynx
12-26-2005, 12:49 PM
Your experience with the Sony drive sounds exactly like mine. Indeed, it is sitting on the shelf in front of me simply because I couldn't be bothered to throw it in the bin yet. Won't be buying another Sony drive in a rush, no matter who actually makes it.

On the other hand my NEC drive has worked flawlessly for about 18 months now, maybe longer. Only 2 or 3 coasters in that time, and those were because of bad media.

j2k4
12-27-2005, 12:41 AM
Your experience with the Sony drive sounds exactly like mine. Indeed, it is sitting on the shelf in front of me simply because I couldn't be bothered to throw it in the bin yet. Won't be buying another Sony drive in a rush, no matter who actually makes it.

On the other hand my NEC drive has worked flawlessly for about 18 months now, maybe longer. Only 2 or 3 coasters in that time, and those were because of bad media.

A weighty recommendation.

The thing about the Sony that pisses me off is it acts like a firmware upgrade is precisely what it needs-I put any old disk in and it may or may not spin, but apparently won't read in any case.

The funny part is the software cd that came with it (no drivers) takes right off as if nothing is wrong.

tesco
12-27-2005, 12:48 AM
I just got the NEC 3550a for christmas.
I've only burnt 1 dvd so far but it went fine.

It has all the features and is really cheap, altho it's a bit on the loud side when it gets to reading DVDs or CDs. ;)

EDIT: My drive came with Nero 6.0, I just downloaded 7.0 so I dont have any opinion on the bundled.

Dark Ride
12-29-2005, 06:13 AM
BenQ DW1640

3RA1N1AC
12-30-2005, 05:20 PM
The funny part is the software cd that came with it (no drivers) takes right off as if nothing is wrong.
cd/dvd-rom drives and burners don't use brand/model-specific drivers. they're pretty much designed to work with the generic drivers that are already built into the operating systems. "where are the drivers for my cd/dvd" is one of the few PC-related things you should never need to worry about.

j2k4
12-30-2005, 08:30 PM
cd/dvd-rom drives and burners don't use brand/model-specific drivers. they're pretty much designed to work with the generic drivers that are already built into the operating systems. "where are the drivers for my cd/dvd" is one of the few PC-related things you should never need to worry about.

I realize that; that's why I find it odd the only disk that can get a rise out of the drive is the one with the software bundle-the irony is the disk has nothing whatsoever to do with drive set-up...

lynx
12-31-2005, 08:56 AM

I realize that; that's why I find it odd the only disk that can get a rise out of the drive is the one with the software bundle-the irony is the disk has nothing whatsoever to do with drive set-up...I found almost exactly the same problem. The drive will only read a few very clean pressed dvds. The smallest speck of dust or trying to use a burnt disk means almost certain failure, usually until the drive is power-cycled.

j2k4
12-31-2005, 02:40 PM
usually until the drive is power-cycled.

Precisely what is involved in this beyond disconnect/reconnect or reboot?

lynx
01-01-2006, 05:33 PM
usually until the drive is power-cycled.

Precisely what is involved in this beyond disconnect/reconnect or reboot?In my case, reboot was not sufficient, I actually had to power down the machine in order to get it to read any disks once it had dropped into it's non-working mode.

Wolfmight
01-01-2006, 05:46 PM

Thoughts?
Same thing happend to my Sony DRU-510 a few years ago. I was testing out some speed software from the official SONY website and it burned the sucker up. Those bastards...

j2k4
01-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Precisely what is involved in this beyond disconnect/reconnect or reboot?In my case, reboot was not sufficient, I actually had to power down the machine in order to get it to read any disks once it had dropped into it's non-working mode.

Ah.

Nothing seems to effect/alter this rig's habit(s).

fkdup74
01-06-2006, 06:20 PM
The Sony dru-810 is a benq 1640 clone...its a pretty good drive nothing to fear there.You can also cross flash to a 1640 then receive all the support from the qsuite tools http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=150992&highlight=dru-810

Merry Xmas all

my old dvd burner made me wary of rebadges/clones
HP DVD 420, it's a piece of shit,
which is really an NEC 2500(?), which, IME, is usually a solid brand
wish this bitch could be cross flashed to an NEC firmware, might work better :dry:

anyhoot, I'm in the market for a new DVD burner, maybe I'll grab a 3550
can't get em for under $70 USD here though
wait....that's a lie....they're $69.99 :shutup:

-edit-
I should open my own shop, buy form Newegg, make a small markup,
and put these greedy ass local shops out of business :P

-edit again-

I think I came up at the price I noted because I was shopping it in black.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152058 :P

j2k4
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
UPS just dropped off two NEC 3550a burners, plus my new Linksys cable gateway/router--WCG200.

I'll have the router in shortly, and do the burners over the weekend.

The burners are OEM, no software included...not bad, as the bundled stuff is for shit, right?

What to use, though? :huh:

Hmmmm.....

Virtualbody1234
01-06-2006, 11:06 PM
UPS just dropped off two NEC 3550a burners...

Hmmmm.....
For movies - DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink
For data - Nero

tesco
01-06-2006, 11:54 PM

Hmmmm.....
For data - Nero
Yup, then to burn the movie's image use alcohol 120%
For backups/copies of date or music - Alcohol 120%

j2k4
01-07-2006, 05:54 AM

Hmmmm.....
For data - Nero

Worthwhile to buy, or should I, uh, procure them?

I think I've got DVD shrink somewhere, but it's probably not the latest version, and I'd used TMPGC Author, but I dumped that 'cuz it was a pain to use.

DVD Decrypter would be new to me.

Alcohol 120%?

I tried to find that once; had crappy luck making it work. :huh:

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2006, 06:07 AM
For data - Nero

I think I've got DVD shrink somewhere, but it's probably not the latest version, and I'd used TMPGC Author, but I dumped that 'cuz it was a pain to use.

Alcohol 120%?

Both DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are freeware. Don't pay for them.

Nero... Procure.

j2k4
01-07-2006, 06:10 AM

Alcohol 120%?

Nero... Procure.

Excellent.

Do you recommend Nero 7?

Ultra?

I'd heard it was lacking

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2006, 06:20 AM

Nero... Procure.

Excellent.

Do you recommend Nero 7?

Ultra?

I'd heard it was lacking

Ultra

I've been using it for a while. No problems yet but haven't tried all it's features. I only use it to burn "data". I also use the ScanDisc feature in Nero CD-DVD Speed to check discs.

I have heard that some users have had problems. :unsure:

j2k4
01-07-2006, 07:11 PM
Uh-oh.

DVD Decrypter is no longer available as freeware.

Oh, what to do? :)

tesco
01-07-2006, 07:57 PM
Uh-oh.

Check your PMs.:shifty:

Virtualbody1234
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
Uh-oh.

You probably got it by now but for anyone else looking for DVD Shrink and/or DVD Decrypter... Check emule. :shifty:

mr. nails
01-08-2006, 06:30 AM
why would u use alcohol 120% over nero? i've used nero for data and images and both burnt and worked flawlessly.

Virtualbody1234
01-08-2006, 06:37 AM
why would u use alcohol 120% over nero? i've used nero for data and images and both burnt and worked flawlessly.
Images can be burnt using DVD Decrypter too.