PDA

View Full Version : Peer Guardian Stopped Something

"The Avatar Man"
04-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Connection forcefully closed on: ***.***.***.*** - BayTSP
I just got this on peer guardian
who is tsp and why are they on the blocklist?
does connection forcefully closed mean that they where successfully blocked?

Benno
04-20-2003, 10:18 PM
BayTSP (http://www.baytsp.com/)

connection forcefully closed means the connection to your computer got terminated that means they were blocked. :)

tracydani
04-20-2003, 10:24 PM
Shouldn't I NOT be able to view that site with Peergaurdian on?

I have updated it today and just checked out that website <_<

the_faceman
04-20-2003, 10:27 PM
check your peerguardian log, although you saw the site, like i just did, it blocked about 22 connections at the same time.

"The Avatar Man"
04-20-2003, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@20 April 2003 - 23:24
Shouldn&#39;t I NOT be able to view that site with Peergaurdian on?

yeah I was able to see the site with no new warnings :blink:

Fatal Error
04-20-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by tracydani@20 April 2003 - 18:24
Shouldn&#39;t I NOT be able to view that site with Peergaurdian on?

I guess mine is working.. wont let me view their site. :ph34r:

@ The Avatar Man: Nope.. they didnt get ya &#33; :)

tracydani
04-21-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by the_faceman@20 April 2003 - 23:27
check your peerguardian log, although you saw the site, like i just did, it blocked about 22 connections at the same time.
I have yet to see it block anything. I don&#39;t see a log to check though.
In the main large box it has info on the program and a web address and says "successfully loaded 4638481 IPs from 22 profiles"

But so far, never a blocked site.

RealitY
04-21-2003, 10:26 AM
Is there any ill to simply viewing this site without pg?
If so...

zolaisugly
04-21-2003, 11:32 AM
i could be wrong but all peer gaurdian does is just stop&#39;s people seeing your shared files when using kazaa and hogging your ports so when info is transfered riaa cant see you doing so.

i dont always use peer gaurdian as i have zone alarm pro which is my main firewall..... as i understand peergaudian acts in a similar way but you need to use other firewall&#39;s as well ie sygate or zone alarm pro.

imported_The__One
04-21-2003, 12:21 PM
i could be wrong but all peer gaurdian does is just stop&#39;s people seeing your shared files when using kazaa and hogging your ports so when info is transfered riaa cant see you doing so.

Actually all peer guardian does is block certain IP adresses (ranges), for example, when I tryed to open the BayTSP page, I couldan&#39;t open it, and PG showed this:
"Connection forcefully closed on: ***.***.***.*** - BayTSP"

So it simply blocks the IP&#39;s, regardless if they are "going" to see your shared files or simply acces they&#39;r page :D

p.s and my pg also blocks: "Successfully loaded 37013262 IPs from 25 profiles." :P :P

RealitY
04-22-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@21 April 2003 - 11:26
If so...
Still curious ^^
Also, how do you get updates?
Do I even need a fw since I am behind a router?
Since I got a router I deleated my fw since my understanding is, a router is truly is the best protection since anyone attempting a port scan or other ill behavior gets no further than the router. This is fail proof to my understanding.
I have also noticed when using Filefopia (http://www.filetopia.com) it aknowledges that I am behind a fw, only draw back being that a fw to fw is limited for such as getting shared folder lists.
Filetopia, check it out, p2p with encryption built in, to stop those such as your isp from trying to see your transfers. This is the new generation in p2p, make sure to change your security from the default 128 though, its is small service now but I think it will grow.&#33;&#33; (http://www.filetopia.com) :)

tracydani
04-22-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by REALITY@22 April 2003 - 06:55

Since I got a router I deleated my fw since my understanding is, a router is truly is the best protection since anyone attempting a port scan or other ill behavior gets no further than the router.
I have a router but haven&#39;t figured out how to properly set it up :rolleyes: so I don&#39;t know for sure. But don&#39;t you have to tell it what to block like a firewall?

It wouldn&#39;t seem that you would need something else, but if you don&#39;t know what to tell it to block, then Peergaurdian would help because the updates do it for you automatically.

You can get the updates by using the link within the peergaurdian program.

Strange, I just checked peergaurdian and had my first block while writing this post. The strange thing is that I can still view the link above with no problems or additional blocks <_<

Benno
04-22-2003, 11:39 AM
If I try to open the link to BayTSP Opera tells me "Connection closed by remote server", and I cant view the site. :P

RealitY
04-22-2003, 11:42 AM
I use PG, just no fw. Again the way I understand it a router is the best fw, you cannot port scan a router and so forth. So the question is, what use is a fw in addition to a router? Although it will detect outbound stuff, but will a fw do anything else for me.

Fatal Error
04-22-2003, 01:13 PM
I have yet to see it block anything. I don&#39;t see a log to check though.
In the main large box it has info on the program and a web address and says "successfully loaded 4638481 IPs from 22 profiles"

But so far, never a blocked site.[/QUOTE]

The log will appear in the Status window ONLY when it is blocking a connection attempt by a blocked IP address. Then you will also see a message in that window that says "Connection forcefully closed on xxx.xx.xxx.xx "

Also, if you regularly update your PG from this site (http://www.simplyclick.org/uploadertest/pg2.asp) your number of loaded ip addresses will vary.. this is because the list is constantly being updated by the site..duplicate and harmless addresses are removed and new "suspicious addresses" are added. (otherwise you would blocking "a Trillion" addresses)

Fatal Error
04-22-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by zolaisugly@21 April 2003 - 07:32

i dont always use peer gaurdian as i have zone alarm pro which is my main firewall..... as i understand peergaudian acts in a similar way but you need to use other firewall&#39;s as well ie sygate or zone alarm pro.
Peer Guardian will NOT stop anyone from viewing your shared files.. this is done by enabeling the "privacy option" built into your k-lite version.

Peer Guardian is a P2P specific firewall.. by simply using another firewall will NOT offer you the same protection,unless you have imported PG&#39;s blocklist into that application. An IP HAS TO BE ENTERED in order for the firewall to block it. PG is specifically designed to block IP addresses that are KNOWN enemies of filesharing... the "bad guys" dont post lists of the IP addresses they use, so this is largely "hit and miss".. so its still possible to "get caught out there"by an IP that is "unknown",but PG will surely cut down the odds, and thats why I would recommend using it.

Fatal Error
04-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by REALITY+22 April 2003 - 01:55--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (REALITY @ 22 April 2003 - 01:55)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--REALITY@21 April 2003 - 11:26
If so...
Still curious ^^
Since I got a router I deleated my fw since my understanding is, a router is truly is the best protection since anyone attempting a port scan or other ill behavior gets no further than the router. This is fail proof to my understanding.
I have also noticed when using Filefopia (http://www.filetopia.com) it aknowledges that I am behind a fw, only draw back being that a fw to fw is limited for such as getting shared folder lists.
Filetopia, check it out, p2p with encryption built in, to stop those such as your isp from trying to see your transfers. This is the new generation in p2p, make sure to change your security from the default 128 though, its is small service now but I think it will grow.&#33;&#33; (http://www.filetopia.com) :)[/b][/quote]
It&#39;s also my understanding of how a router works.. so that would pose a very valid question on the need for a firewall.. supposedly port scanning beyond the router is not possible. BUT what IF you downloaded a file that was infected with a trojan or worm "designed to steal your information" or "view the contents of your HDD" that for some unknown reason, went undetected.. you surely wouldnt want to give this access to the internet, would you?

That was just a hypothetical question.. in fact I dont even know whether this IS even possible..but it certainly presents a very serious consideration in my mind. Maybe someone better versed in these matters could clear this up? :unsure:

RealitY
04-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Fatal Error@22 April 2003 - 16:24
BUT what IF you downloaded a file that was infected with a trojan or worm "designed to steal your information" or "view the contents of your HDD" that for some unknown reason, went undetected.. you surely wouldnt want to give this access to the internet, would you?

That was just a hypothetical question.. in fact I dont even know whether this IS even possible..but it certainly presents a very serious consideration in my mind. Maybe someone better versed in these matters could clear this up? :unsure:
This is true and completly possible which is why in my other statement I said...

I use PG, just no fw. Again the way I understand it a router is the best fw, you cannot port scan a router and so forth. So the question is, what use is a fw in addition to a router? Although it will detect outbound stuff, but will a fw do anything else for me.
Of course I update McAfee constatnly and scan almost anything prior to opening it.
Though I am currently lOOking for a fw to only detect outbound traffic, any suggestions?
When I used McAfee fw after getting a router it caused me to much greif, so I dumped it.

Of course this leads me to my next question, can anyone see my ip beyond the router or do they just see the router ip 128.xxx.xxx. This truly confuses me because because programs such as KaZuperNodes see my ip as 128.xxx.xxx but when I use mIRC I have seen the actual ip. If you used Dat View on me and checked my ip while you were dl from me, which would yoy see? I have yet to get an answer on this. Also does checking the remove ip from dat files (whichis checked by default) avoid my ip from being shown at all or just via dat or...? Shit I must be PARANOID or one curious f**ker. :lol: