PDA

View Full Version : America's Pastime

Jayhawk
04-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Do you guys thing that football has drawn the attention of people more the baseball over the last 10-15 years?

I am a die hard baseball fan so i will say baseball

merlin-1
04-21-2003, 03:06 AM
Even though i played Baseball all through school i would have to say Football.

kAb
04-21-2003, 03:09 AM
since i think football is for pussies... i'd say baseball.

i mean, football is rugby all padded up with lots of breaks for the fatasses.

average play is what... 7 seconds?
then a 3 minute break :rolleyes:

Z
04-21-2003, 03:32 AM
kab i agree, but youre gonna get flamed big time. and even though i'm a baseball fan, you cant say that baseball is any more exciting. i'll bet even the players would agree. seriously, the only time i'll actually watch an entire game of baseball on tv is during the playoffs. adn the only football game i'll watch completely is the superbowl. baseball is the traditional pasttime, but football has been gaining for years.

kAb
04-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Z@20 April 2003 - 19:32
kab i agree, but youre gonna get flamed big time. and even though i'm a baseball fan, you cant say that baseball is any more exciting. i'll bet even the players would agree. seriously, the only time i'll actually watch an entire game of baseball on tv is during the playoffs. adn the only football game i'll watch completely is the superbowl. baseball is the traditional pasttime, but football has been gaining for years.
yeah ur right, baseball aint that exciting.

the only football game i watch is the superbowl also.

and maybe football IS america's pastime. because america is FAT, and they can relate to bubba on the field who is 400 pounds playing blocker :P :lol:

Z
04-21-2003, 04:00 AM
so true, so true. are they really athletes? are hotdog eating champions athletes? :P

Jayhawk
04-21-2003, 04:06 AM
Baseball games are really exciting if you attend them they are 100 times betters

Z
04-21-2003, 05:12 AM
cuz then you can have beer and hot dogs.

which is definitely not available at home. :P

kAb
04-22-2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Z@20 April 2003 - 21:12
cuz then you can have beer and hot dogs.

which is definitely not available at home. :P
yeah, for outrageous prices :rolleyes:

clocker
04-22-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by kAb@20 April 2003 - 21:36

and maybe football IS america's pastime. because america is FAT, and they can relate to bubba on the field who is 400 pounds playing blocker :P :lol:
While a bartender in Washington DC I had the opportunity to get to know several of the Hogs from the Redskins ( they were the 400 lb. bubbas you were referring to ) and I must say that your perceptions are totally wrong.
Any one of them could have chased you down and kicked your ass without breaking a sweat.
While eating a hot dog...

America's only real sport is croquet. :rolleyes:

Z
04-22-2003, 04:50 AM
America's only real sport is croquet

you forgot curling. :P

Jayhawk
04-22-2003, 06:53 AM
curling? who watches that womens swimming is more entertaining than that

Blue_Seraphim
04-22-2003, 07:00 AM
I would have to say football. Watching baseball on t.v is worthless. However going to a baseball game is almost a theraputic experience. Little compares to being inside a ballpark while a baseball game is going on. On the other hand football is much cooler to watch on t.v.(for the most part). Going to a football game is a lot of fun too.

The I's have it. Football it is.

nahan
04-22-2003, 07:13 AM
See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

At any moment one great hit or play or pitch is what makes it so good.
Baseball is labelled americas pastime .
I think there is too many games,if there were less games each one would be that more important.

Jayhawk
04-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13
See thats where I think you guys have missed the idea baseball is a different type of game,its all about anticipation.

Baseball is labelled americas pastime .
I think there is too many games,if there were less games each one would be that more important.
You make very good points. Baseball is very long. But these guys are great athletes it takes physical strength as well as mental strength. Baseball is unpredictable thats why i love it,

jetje
04-22-2003, 10:30 AM
Nothing that spectacular as NBA.... Think it's the most entertaining sport in the world...

The other sports have far to little action....

although i can understand the tension a game of baseball has...

American Football on the other hand is soooooo boring...

Got_brains?
04-22-2003, 11:16 AM
BOWLING! ;) :lol:

j2k4
04-22-2003, 03:48 PM
First of all, realize that any of the sports that we watch on T.V. are practiced by athletes who are so far beyond average that to denigrate any of them is to misunderstand what it means to possess their skills.
I missed out playing football at the University of Wisconsin because of a knee injury in high school-way later I attended college and pro games (from the sidelines). I was immediately glad for injuring myself; I LOVED football, but those guys would have killed me-there were many graphic examples of just how superior they were.

I retired to bar sports (pool, darts, foosball, etc.), and believe me when I tell you-I was top dog at all of them-I was a nationally ranked (yes, there was such a thing) foosball player for a while in the late '70s.
I was relatively full of myself as regards my abilities in these activities; so much so I entered a pool tourney in Atlanta to play with "the pros". I got my ass trimmed in the first round by a codger named Grady Mathews; he told me afterwards that I had a great game but it needed "work". I didn't retire my cue, but I did get my ass back to the bars.

Honest-it doesn't even matter which sport you're talking about; if you're a hot-shot bowler, go find, say, any run-of-the-mill professional athlete who doesn't even know what a bowling ball IS-give him the basics and in an hour he'll show YOU how it's done.
THAT'S the truth.

soopaman
04-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Football ???

I think you mean Gridiron, don't you??

Bloody Yanks - we invented your country anyway!! :lol:

Seriously though, Girdiron + Baseball both suck. Sports for an obese nation.

The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the Planet, not the World Series or the Superbowl. How can it be the World Series when only America seems to play it??

Football is England's national sport and gift to the
World, not yours!! :P

Cheers

MusicWorld
04-22-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by soopaman@22 April 2003 - 17:44
Bloody Yanks - we invented your country anyway!! :lol:

;) Yeah.....and look who took it from you.

nahan
04-22-2003, 08:44 PM
To a nation that obiously didnt invent dentistry ,

For people in England that invented the english language.
Why do you all speak it so poorly ?

From an obese nation that would kick your ass

clocker
04-22-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13

You've hit the nail right on the head!

That's why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
At any moment it could gr....... :P

J'Pol
04-22-2003, 09:32 PM
Ian Botham (a famous cricketer and mentalist) had a go at the baseball thing. He said the only real problem with it was that the ball travelled too slow when it was thrown.

Regarding football (american style) I actually like that and go to see it with son number 2 sometimes. Claymores at Hampden Park. However if you want to see a real hard game, watch rugby league. They really hit each other and the play is non-stop, or very near to it.

My favourite sport to watch is football (soccer as my american friends would call it).

Bottom line, if I were to pick an American sport to watch it would be football.

PS I like Oakland, however they wear LA Raider shirts so thats confusing.

PPS I though you would like hockey MW, being a Canadian and all that.

TIDE-HSV
04-22-2003, 09:39 PM
Can I put in a vote for bicycling - Tour de France in particular? I'm a football fan - American and non-American. (Look at my nick, Yanks). However, I follow the Tour much more avidly than the Superbowl.

soopaman
04-22-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by clocker+22 April 2003 - 22:10--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 22 April 2003 - 22:10)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13

You&#39;ve hit the nail right on the head&#33;

That&#39;s why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
At any moment it could gr....... :P [/b][/quote]

I agree, Cricket is the same. It&#39;s ALL about anticipation and tactics. Baseball over Gridiron every day of the week. I enjoyed playing Baseball at school as it was one of the few games I was any good at&#33;&#33; :lol: I was school captain at Synchronised Drinking and Smoking Weed though&#33;&#33; It was an honour. :D

j2k4
04-23-2003, 04:19 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@22 April 2003 - 16:39
Can I put in a vote for bicycling - Tour de France in particular? I&#39;m a football fan - American and non-American. (Look at my nick, Yanks). However, I follow the Tour much more avidly than the Superbowl.
I have the utmost respect for Mr. Armstrong&#33;
Having done my share of cycling, I can imagine nothing more dispiriting than being passed on an uphill in the Tour de France and left for dead. There is a crushing finality, even on T.V.

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2003, 04:26 AM
I was a regular commuter on bike for years. I blew a left ACL playing basketball in &#39;96, and the orthos ended my climbing career. Before that, every day included a 7 mile, 1200&#39; drop down into town and back up.

j2k4
04-23-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@22 April 2003 - 23:26
I was a regular commuter on bike for years. I blew a left ACL playing basketball in &#39;96, and the orthos ended my climbing career. Before that, every day included a 7 mile, 1200&#39; drop down into town and back up.
Wow-the climbs are killers.
I did 50 miles a day for four years back in the day-my knees are shot.
Congenital cruciate insufficiency leading to ACL, MCL, and, believe it or not, PCL tears in both knees-football, basketball, dirtbike-7 surgeries. I play a wicked game of catch these days, but that&#39;s it. :D
My wife thinks my legs look good, though, so that&#39;s something.... B)

nahan
04-23-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by soopaman+22 April 2003 - 23:52--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (soopaman @ 22 April 2003 - 23:52)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -clocker@22 April 2003 - 22:10
<!--QuoteBegin--nahan@22 April 2003 - 01:13

You&#39;ve hit the nail right on the head&#33;

That&#39;s why I soooo enjoy acorn watching.
At any moment it could gr....... :P

I agree, Cricket is the same. It&#39;s ALL about anticipation and tactics. Baseball over Gridiron every day of the week. I enjoyed playing Baseball at school as it was one of the few games I was any good at&#33;&#33; :lol: I was school captain at Synchronised Drinking and Smoking Weed though&#33;&#33; It was an honour. :D [/b][/quote]
Hey soopaman its nice to see we agree on something

RollUrOwn
04-23-2003, 08:22 AM
Football is great, but baseball is my passion

Pitbul
04-23-2003, 08:39 AM
my favorite passtime is Football by far. baseball bores me beyond comprehension. even slow ppl matter in baseball its pretty much strength and make sure u hit the ball.wow someone alert the media.football takes timing strenght an I.Q and agility. the only position that takes extensive work in a baseball team is the pitcher. i cant watch baseball for more then 5 minutes then i change the channel and just watch the highlights if u would call them Highlights. pretty much in baseball the biggest thing u got to worry about is getting with by the pitcher.

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2003, 11:20 AM
J2, are you talking about notch stenosis? If so, I have it also. I can get past "catch" to golf, however far that is. :lol: However, my wife also likes my legs. :P

j2k4
04-23-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 06:20
J2, are you talking about notch stenosis? If so, I have it also. I can get past "catch" to golf, however far that is. :lol: However, my wife also likes my legs. :P
Not familiar with notch stenosis-whatsit?

Cruciate insufficiency=sloppy cruciates, basically; short-duration mis-alignment leading to injury.

Luckily I have "some" meniscus left, otherwise (so said the Ortho-guy) I would have to sit very still for a long, long time.
I&#39;m also doing rehab for a "heart event" last year, so am doubly lucky; I can walk in a reasonably vigorous fashion. :D (never dreamed I&#39;d begin to use these emoticons-even the name-"emoticon"-egad&#33;&#33;)

TIDE-HSV
04-23-2003, 03:49 PM
"Notch" refers to the notch in the bottom of the femur, where the PCL and ACL attach. Preferred is one that&#39;s nice and round like a Roman arch. If it looks like a keyhole, it leads to impingement of the ACL and is responsible for most non-contact tears. Mine was, however, a contact injury. My ACL had been partially torn before - football and skiing. The BB injury just tore it loose - evulsed it. :(

j2k4
04-23-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TIDE-HSV@23 April 2003 - 10:49
"Notch" refers to the notch in the bottom of the femur, where the PCL and ACL attach. Preferred is one that&#39;s nice and round like a Roman arch. If it looks like a keyhole, it leads to impingement of the ACL and is responsible for most non-contact tears. Mine was, however, a contact injury. My ACL had been partially torn before - football and skiing. The BB injury just tore it loose - evulsed it. :(
Sounds typically gruesome.
I&#39;ll assume I&#39;m not notched, because it makes me feel better to do so, and because I&#39;d need the Doc to tell me otherwise. :lol:

I&#39;m sure, somewhere along the line, you&#39;ve had the "pain of giving birth" conversation with some female?
They have my sympathy and respect for their commitment thus, but when I&#39;ve tried to describe to them the pain of a "knee" (moment of trauma), or even a good shot in the groin, words fail me. :(

YOU know what I mean.

Jayhawk
04-23-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Pitbul@23 April 2003 - 02:39
my favorite passtime is Football by far. baseball bores me beyond comprehension. even slow ppl matter in baseball its pretty much strength and make sure u hit the ball.wow someone alert the media.football takes timing strenght an I.Q and agility. the only position that takes extensive work in a baseball team is the pitcher. i cant watch baseball for more then 5 minutes then i change the channel and just watch the highlights if u would call them Highlights. pretty much in baseball the biggest thing u got to worry about is getting with by the pitcher.
Sorry pitbul dont agree to much on some of that. There is more to it than strength and hitting. I played baseball and i was the second best defensive player on the team i dont lift. Its anticipation. Ok then with your pitcher comment. Have you even seen a pitcher throw a perfect game where there were no hits to anyone in the field? NO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; IF you dont watch the sport dont bash on it and make comments like you know everything about it. Thats the way i feel atleast&#33;

j2k4
04-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Jayhawk+23 April 2003 - 12:21--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jayhawk @ 23 April 2003 - 12:21)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Pitbul@23 April 2003 - 02:39
Sorry pitbul dont agree to much on some of that. There is more to it than strength and hitting. I played baseball and i was the second best defensive player on the team i dont lift. Its anticipation. Ok then with your pitcher comment. Have you even seen a pitcher throw a perfect game where there were no hits to anyone in the field? NO&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; IF you dont watch the sport dont bash on it and make comments like you know everything about it. Thats the way i feel atleast&#33; [/b][/quote]
Baseball IS amazing; problem is, the subtleties are lost on the average fan.
The most analytic commentator extant, ex-Reds H.O.F.&#39;er Joe Morgan, will awe you with his insights into the "hidden" game. What a pity he has to draw back for fear of losing the onlookers&#33; If there were such a thing as broadcasts geared to true baseball "crazies" instead of just fans (NOTHING AGAINST FANS), the audience would surely grow.

ClubDiggler
04-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Ok&#33;

Here it is in order of Best in the planet down. My top 3 that is:

1. World Cup Soccer (I got up at 2:00 am few times last year to watch)

2. NFL (Love Monday night football at a bar with a few buddies a few wagers and a few beers. The game is like chess in a tactical sense if you know enough about it.)

3. NHL (NY Rangers at Madison Square Garden rules of course with an overpriced foot long hotdog on the side)

Does anyone else have a top 3?

B)

J'Pol
04-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Maybe of post and with apologies to Nikki.

What happened to Toronto, again.

WTF are the Philadelphia Flyers, or whatever they are called.

How can the Maple Leafs be so popular and so rich and never get past the first round.

nahan
04-24-2003, 12:02 AM
I myself wanted toronto to win, but at and near the trade deadline both teams stacked up on players because in all likelihood they would play each other in the playoffs.

If you do or do not know many of the players in the NHL pay close attention

Toronto picked up at the deadline
Owen Nolan 2 points all series
Phil Housley 0 points in 3 games
Doug Gilmour couldnt play one game (injured)

Shane Corson was there all regular season but never played in any playoff games ,go figure.

Philidelphia near and at the deadline picked up players
Tony Amonte 3 points
Sami Kapanen 3 points
Demitry Yushkevich 4 points
It looks like Toronto had problems with players simply just showing up on the score sheet and the ice.