PDA

View Full Version : Internet Booster

scott_pd
01-02-2006, 12:34 AM
My friend mentioned he got this Internet booster that made his download speed increase from 125MB/ps to around 400MB/ps. Well i asked if it was legal, and he said it was legal to use, but he wasnt sure if it was allowed by the ISP. So i was wondering if anybody knew NTLs stand on Internet boosters...

zapjb
01-02-2006, 12:53 AM
How much does a 125MB connection cost? $300/month?:lol:

scott_pd
01-02-2006, 01:03 AM
Sorry, i meant KB/s

NeoTheOne
01-02-2006, 01:38 AM
well i know there are ways of uncapping your modem , but thats defintley not legal , and i havent herd of a program to download faster , basiclly what these programs do its download a webpage and make it avaible faster so if you type google.com it will retrive the webpage from your hard drive instead of there server then ask the server for any updates

scott_pd
01-02-2006, 03:06 AM
Then why does a site, i was reading have a quote from a guy who recons he was getting 900kb/s on a 1meg connection? Ill try and find the site again...

Also, it did mention that some of these things save the webpage to cache so it loads up faster. But it wasnt what this program did. Anyway, i just wanted to know what NTL had to say about these, and if they allowed them. I dont want my net cut off.

cpt_azad
01-02-2006, 04:28 AM
Then why does a site, i was reading have a quote from a guy who recons he was getting 900kb/s on a 1meg connection? Ill try and find the site again...

Also, it did mention that some of these things save the webpage to cache so it loads up faster. But it wasnt what this program did. Anyway, i just wanted to know what NTL had to say about these, and if they allowed them. I dont want my net cut off.

why not just call and ask? oh and if you do dont' call from ur house or anythign that they may have on their database lol if u do that then they'll keep a closer watch on you, use like a payphone or ur friends or something.

suprafreak6
01-02-2006, 08:47 AM
haha friends, its always fun to use friends adress and phone number for requirements on some websites

tralalala
01-02-2006, 09:00 AM
there used to be a program called TCP Optimizer.. have a lookie for it and see if that does any good :)

{I}{K}{E}
01-02-2006, 05:42 PM
there used to be a program called TCP Optimizer.. have a lookie for it and see if that does any good :)

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

suprafreak6
01-02-2006, 07:23 PM
i never trusted all these programs, never seemed to help me

zaphodiv
01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I don't think NTL offers 128kBps connections any more. They upgraded their 512K customers to the 2Mbps package. Are you sure your friend has not been upgraded by NTL?

If he was using a DOCSIS hack to increase the speed setting of the cable modem he would almost certainly have been disconnected within an hour.

There are some web accelerator programs that work by directing your web traffic through a server on a fast line that compresses the webpages before sending them to you and may send a low-res version of an image first so the page seems to load quick. Such services can be good on dialup but they only speed up webpages, they don't speed up downloading of uncompressable files like mp3's, zip's and rar's.

There are also some scam programs that do nothing and just display a bargraph or somthing claiming to have speeded up the connection and ask for a credit card to register after your seven day trial.

erRor67
01-03-2006, 07:34 PM
Most "Internet Boosters" dont do shit.... Theres really no way to make your connection faster... Sure, you can tweak a few registry keys and if your using FireFox you can tweak a few settings but thats about it. Most of those "internet boosters" really spy on you or feed you ads (spyware/adware).

If any of you listen to those dialup companies and their "high speed" connections, all they do is cache popular sites on their servers. Then, when you visit them, you get the cache copy instead of going to the actual site............ I remember a google product doing something similar... It would cache all your most visited sites for you.. Of course, theres always the issue of privacy. If they are caching stuff, how do u know they arent catching personal info??

Also, those ISP do another trick to make it "high speed".. When you request a webpage, instead of sending u the stuff, they zip (or some kind of archive) everything to you.. Then your computer "unzips" it.. So in a sence, your downloading less. However, privacy comes into mind because they have to cache everything you visit to "zip" them.. Then as for images.... they just compress them into low-res images... Yeah, they are smaller... but u loose the quality..

Those two technics only work for surfing the web.. It doesnt make you download programs any faster. P2P is still slow... they dont "zip" up shit for you there. Even downloading programs via http and ftp isnt "zip" up or catched.... Only webpages and shit.

scott_pd
01-04-2006, 01:35 AM
Well, I have no idea what he is doing then, he thinks he has only a 1meg connection. I am pretty sure it all got upgraded to 2meg a while ago, but it was not advertised so he may not be aware of it. But you do not get these speeds without some aid....and he has not been cut off, he has been downloading like this for a few days.

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/346/speeds1uj.jpg

scott_pd
01-04-2006, 02:21 AM
I also have a picture of him getting 13 mb/s, which is what he started getting when he turned off all his other Internet jobs. Ill post that aswell if you want, i just did not feel the need with the image above.

Seedler
01-04-2006, 04:34 PM
Most "Internet Boosters" dont do shit.... Theres really no way to make your connection faster... Sure, you can tweak a few registry keys and if your using FireFox you can tweak a few settings but thats about it. Most of those "internet boosters" really spy on you or feed you ads (spyware/adware).

If any of you listen to those dialup companies and their "high speed" connections, all they do is cache popular sites on their servers. Then, when you visit them, you get the cache copy instead of going to the actual site............ I remember a google product doing something similar... It would cache all your most visited sites for you.. Of course, theres always the issue of privacy. If they are caching stuff, how do u know they arent catching personal info??

Also, those ISP do another trick to make it "high speed".. When you request a webpage, instead of sending u the stuff, they zip (or some kind of archive) everything to you.. Then your computer "unzips" it.. So in a sence, your downloading less. However, privacy comes into mind because they have to cache everything you visit to "zip" them.. Then as for images.... they just compress them into low-res images... Yeah, they are smaller... but u loose the quality..

Those two technics only work for surfing the web.. It doesnt make you download programs any faster. P2P is still slow... they dont "zip" up shit for you there. Even downloading programs via http and ftp isnt "zip" up or catched.... Only webpages and shit.

Haha, I remember when I still had NETZERO dial-up, and I downloaded their "Network Accelerator", which did exactly what erRor67 said. They said it would make my internet 5X faster, and I believed them. O well, I was pretty much a noob back then...:O

zaphodiv
01-04-2006, 05:11 PM
I was thinking of kilobits/sec. 125Kilobytes/sec is a normal top speed for the
NTL 1meg service.

I'm not sure about that screenshot. 608 megabytes in 2 hours 43 minutes is only
60kilobytes per second on average.

The only way to get more than 125kilobytes/sec when downloading an uncompressable
file on NTL's 1meg service would be to reprogram the cablemodem to operate at
a higher speed. To answer the original question that's illegal, it's theft of service.