PDA

View Full Version : Properly archiving with Winrar?

matt526
01-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Can anyone lead me in the right direction on how to properly archive a large file
(like a DVD9) using Winrar. I download .rar files all the time i.e. .r01;.r02
But I don’t know how to make them.

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-04-2006, 08:28 PM
I have never done it, but just a quick look through the help in winrar itself and I can do it. Just take a look, youll see it. :) Maybe Ill try it and see what happens, I always like trying something different.

ilw
01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Just go through the steps to create an archive like normal (either open winrar or in explorer select the files, right click and add to archive) and when the 'archive name and parameters' window pops up I think you just enter the appropriate value in the 'split to volumes' in the bottom left corner.

Edit: Are you posting something to newsgroups or why do you want to split it? Just realised you were asking how to create any archives rather than split archives, yeah, just play with it its really not hard.

Mïcrösöül°V³
01-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I just did this with a 600mb avi file. I right clicked it, add to archive and at the bottom of winrar you have split to volumes, and it seems you can type what size you want or use the drop down menu, it was simple :) once each part reached about 94mb, a new volume was created and they were being named filename.part1.rar, filename.part2.rar, etc.