PDA

View Full Version : Phillips dvp642 problems?

orcutt989
01-06-2006, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone, I just set up my Phillips dvp642 player, and I have encountered a couple of things to ask. Number one, I have movies that have the black bars above and below the picture, like at a theater, but now when I play them on this dvd player, they go away, and the picture is stretched out, how do I fix this? And then, I burned some family guy episodes to a DVD (avi format divx encoded) and when I put the disk in it goes "reading index" and that flashes over and over again, and i can see the dvd player saying "stop" "play" back and forth over and over again, and then finally it goes, unrecognized codec qpel. Is there anyway I can fix that? Thanks guys!

{I}{K}{E}
01-06-2006, 10:56 PM
do you have a 4:3 tv? there shoud be an option to choose 'Letterboxed or Pan & Scan' change that option. (if you set your DVD player to 16:9 you dont have this option)

orcutt989
01-06-2006, 10:58 PM
do you have a 4:3 tv? there shoud be an option to choose 'Letterboxed or Pan & Scan' change that option. (if you set your DVD player to 16:9 you dont have this option) Where is this option located? I do have a 4:3 tv... I think?

{I}{K}{E}
01-06-2006, 11:07 PM
do you have a 4:3 tv? there shoud be an option to choose 'Letterboxed or Pan & Scan' change that option. (if you set your DVD player to 16:9 you dont have this option) Where is this option located? I do have a 4:3 tv... I think?

TV display ->

4:3 PS
4:3 LB
16:9

I think PS is default so change it to LB

orcutt989
01-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Where is this option located? I do have a 4:3 tv... I think?
TV display ->

4:3 PS
4:3 LB
16:9

I think PS is default so change it to LB Oh okay cool, I will try that.

EDIT: Did it, nothing happened, also changed it to 16:9 and nothing happened, what now?

orcutt989
01-07-2006, 03:44 PM
*bump

lee551
01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
...and then finally it goes, unrecognized codec qpel. Is there anyway I can fix that?

unfortunately, you cannot play movies encoded with qpel on this player. there's a program called 'avi check' that will tell you if your *.avi movies are encoded with qpel or gmc (both unsupported).

accat13
01-08-2006, 01:04 PM
Just a little help guide that has been useful to me in the past
http://www.jarnot.com/twiki/bin/view/Public/DVP642LisaBsAVIGuide
as a side note I finally figured out a great backup for my dvp642, a modded xbox :) ...Keeps the kids off the pc and it will play any thing.I don't think you could beat the combination of the two...

orcutt989
01-08-2006, 03:50 PM
Okay then what about the letterbox problem?

muchspl3
01-08-2006, 06:47 PM
...and then finally it goes, unrecognized codec qpel. Is there anyway I can fix that?

unfortunately, you cannot play movies encoded with qpel on this player. there's a program called 'avi check' that will tell you if your *.avi movies are encoded with qpel or gmc (both unsupported).
I think she needs to finalize the disc, I had a similar problem once and it played finalized

orcutt989
01-08-2006, 08:34 PM
unfortunately, you cannot play movies encoded with qpel on this player. there's a program called 'avi check' that will tell you if your *.avi movies are encoded with qpel or gmc (both unsupported). I think she needs to finalize the disc, I had a similar problem once and it played finalized Apparently thet dvp542 doesnt support the QuaterPixel (Qpel) codec, and it doesnt support one another one either, but I am a MAN by the way not a SHE. But i dont care about the qpel, I want to know how to get the letterbox to work. Is that what yo uare talking about muchspl?

muchspl3
01-09-2006, 12:17 AM
no not your letter box problem, just some avi's wouldn't play un;ess the disc was finalized

as for as your letter box problem, not sure, have you changed any settings on your tv?

orcutt989
01-09-2006, 12:46 AM
I fixed it, thanks everyone though. I just changed the ratio from "automatic" to "4:3" in WinAvi, thanks anyways though guys.

abu_has_the_power
01-09-2006, 01:08 AM
sometimes u need to reencode the video.

also, if you have other problems, upgrade the firmware. i upgraded mine, and it works with srt subs. no more annoying in-video subs. yay!