PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista system requirements

Seedler
01-08-2006, 12:30 AM
Windows Vista is a friggin hardware beast

RAM: 2GB is the ideal configuration for 64-bit Vista, we're told. Vista 32-bit will work ideally at 1GB, and minimum 512. However, since 64-bit is handling data chunks that are double the size, you'll need double the memory, hence the 2GB. Nigel mentions DDR3 - which is a little odd, since the roadmap for DDR3, on Intel gear at least, doesn't really kick in until 2007.

HDD: SATA is definitely the way forward for Vista, due, Microsoft tells us, to Native Command Queueing. NCQ allows for out of order completions - that is, if Vista needs tasks 1,2,3,4 and 5 done, it can do them in the order 2,5,3,4,1 if that's a more efficient route for the hard drive head to take over the disk. This leads to far faster completion times.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/09/07/vista_hardware_reqs/

tesco
01-08-2006, 01:25 AM
HDD: SATA is definitely the way forward for Vista, due, Microsoft tells us, to Native Command Queueing. NCQ allows for out of order completions - that is, if Vista needs tasks 1,2,3,4 and 5 done, it can do them in the order 2,5,3,4,1 if that's a more efficient route for the hard drive head to take over the disk. This leads to far faster completion times.
That sounds like a really good idea. :D

Guyver
01-08-2006, 02:20 AM
well looks like ill be on xp for another ten year lol

twisterX
01-08-2006, 02:49 AM

you mean they dont have that in XP.:blink: That should have been in like win 95. Its only common sense to do that. :dry:

HairlessApe
01-08-2006, 05:07 AM
sigh, I just know vista is gonna blow

4play
01-08-2006, 09:22 AM

you mean they dont have that in XP.:blink: That should have been in like win 95. Its only common sense to do that. :dry:

I was watching a video on channel 9 (http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=53470) that says all this is basically done in software rather then by the hardware. im guessing thats the only difference.

zapjb
01-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Today 01:07 AM
HairlessApe sigh, I just know vista is gonna blow
I agree. I see another ME.:lol:

Hairbautt
01-08-2006, 03:51 PM
Today 01:07 AM
HairlessApe sigh, I just know vista is gonna blow
I don't think it is...:unsure: But I really havn't read up much about it. But it looks neat. :D

fkdup74
01-08-2006, 11:31 PM
I don't think it is...:unsure: But I really havn't read up much about it. But it looks neat. :D

I think I agree with zap
to run those amounts of memory, from what I hear,
and from what clocker has experienced as well I think, (see hardware forum),
it fucks off the optimal timings of the RAM

maybe it won't be as bad as the piss poor resource management in ME,
but you still end up running a system at less-than-optimal

oh yeah, and you'll need about a $2500 setup to be running at less-than-optimal :P

LilAznAccommodator
01-08-2006, 11:59 PM
Man... After reading that.. I am SURE Vista isn't going to be the 'Future' I think XP will outlast it... And yeah Vista might be an ME, a Windows you can just Skip.. I think most people want it for the Appearance.. Which can semi already be manipulated through Skins... I mean for one.. I know I only want Vista for the Looks(GUI, at the moment) since I am not sure what other great thigns it offers... And at the necesities of its requirements... I am not ready to shed out more money to go buy me DDR3 RAM or another 1GB worth of RAM. Heck I not even sure if my current 1.0GB Ram is DDR 1 or 2...

zapjb
01-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I don't think Vista will have all that much that can't be ported to XP. Imo the 1 thing that was going to differentiate Vista was WFS. But M$ cut that. So I see a BS OS.:lol:

Hairbautt
01-09-2006, 12:19 AM
I already got my vista theme :D Now I see what ya'll are talkin' about though... It'd be good to have I guess if you had a 64-bit real high-end computer, but if not...meh...

Shiranai_Baka
01-09-2006, 11:28 PM
Well I'm going to backup microsoft here since I usually go against mainstream and say that it's still in the testing stages and we don't know what microsoft will whip out at us.

Hairbautt
01-10-2006, 01:02 AM
Well I'm going to backup microsoft here since I usually go against mainstream and say that it's still in the testing stages and we don't know what microsoft will whip out at us.
I don't see whats so bad about microsoft either...What have they done? :huh: If you're a microsoft hater can someone tell me why? A real reason too, seems like everytime I ask that no one gives me a straight answer or just says it because others say it without knowing why...:mellow:

I need enlightnment! :ermm: I wanna know too!:ph34r:

Izagaia
01-13-2006, 10:06 PM
If these are the forecasted specifications, I would think that Microsoft has extremely "overshot" the current state of what retail system hardware is actually capable of.

From a business standpoint, it is not wise to pre-pack an operating system of Vista's calibur into hardware where the average configuration is roughly a 32-bit low-end AMD or P4 processor (Celeron D is also quite popular), 256-512meg of RAM and an 80gig harddrive. This is typically what you find on store shelves for the home-user. Media Centered PC's may reflect slightly higher. However the era where the average joe/jane-sausage head believes they have to spend over $1000 USD on their home PC is in the past. Microsoft most likely will cease to pre-pack XP with these retail PC's, at the time Vista becomes public, in favor of their latest favorite flavor. Which means what?.. that retail hardware manfacturers will start shipping and pushing higher-end PC configurations at the retail level? I really think that will be a tough sell given what PC users are willing to spend these days. And that for the hardware necessary to adequately run the next-gen windows OS, this will mean a higher end cost to manfuacturers which will trickle down to said sausage head. This is not even counting those current windows users looking to upgrade. Given the average PC setup, systems will most likely require to undergo a hardware upgrade as well along the lines of $100-$300 USD before spending another $200-$300 for Vista itself.

Izzy's outtake on it anyway.

Busyman
01-13-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't see whats so bad about microsoft either...What have they done? :huh: If you're a microsoft hater can someone tell me why? A real reason too, seems like everytime I ask that no one gives me a straight answer or just says it because others say it without knowing why...:mellow:

It's dislike of whatever or whooever the "Big Guy" is.

For instance, if M$'s IE7 kicks Firefox, there will be those that still won't like IE7 or M$. Claims that consumers were harmed by M$'s business dealings were exaggerated in media. I doubt consumers even gave it a thought until they "were told that they were harmed."
Anothe thing is that since M$ is the big guy they are he most targeted by those that want to breach its security.

I say use what works best for you and pay allegiance to no one.

LilAznAccommodator
01-15-2006, 10:18 PM
I read int his article:

http://www.bentuser.com/article.aspx?ID=332&page=1

The comparison of XP/Vista.. and yeah to me.. Vista is still more or less just Looks... Cause just looking fromt hat article.. I would still prefer just the Theme of it but not much of the functiosn it provides...

Hairbautt
01-15-2006, 10:25 PM

It's dislike of whatever or whooever the "Big Guy" is.

For instance, if M$'s IE7 kicks Firefox, there will be those that still won't like IE7 or M$. Claims that consumers were harmed by M$'s business dealings were exaggerated in media. I doubt consumers even gave it a thought until they "were told that they were harmed."
Anothe thing is that since M$ is the big guy they are he most targeted by those that want to breach its security.

I say use what works best for you and pay allegiance to no one.:cool: Thanks figured it was something along the lines of that. That was very helpful,:schnauz: thanks for the reply. :happy:

:01: