PDA

View Full Version : My computer slows when I use p2p's

digmen1
01-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Hi Guys

I have a failry powerful computer and used to be able to do work in Windows Explorer whilst downloading files from say Ares or Limewire.

But lalety I find that Explorer goes so slow that it takes about 30 seconds to rename a file ! And it often comes up with the torch trying to find the files in a folder !

It seems to be random as sometimes my Explorer goes at normal speeds whilst downloading.

Any ideas ?

I use virus checkers and anti-spywares etc. In ME I used to be able to check my system resources but can't find out how to do this in XP.

Also I often read in forums from users who say they do not like such and such program because it hogs their resources. How do they know how much resources a program takes up ?

Regards

Digby
NZ

manker
01-09-2006, 11:24 AM
Alt, ctrl and delete > click processes tab to find out how much resources your programs are using.

As you say, it could be that one of your applications is in fact using up a large proportion of your ram. Lately, I'm finding that Firefox 1.5 is hogging a shitload of mine if I've had it open for a while :dry:

shazzar
01-09-2006, 12:48 PM
You may want to also defragment your hardrive and remove any junk files.

digmen1
01-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that.

Sill me I used Ctrl Alt Del for years in Dos and ME, but never once in XP till you suggested it. Just what I wanted.

Regards
Digby

harrycary
01-14-2006, 12:49 AM
Might want to check the P2P client you are using. It may be "Ad Supported" and eating up you bandwidth and/or stealing clock-cycles from your processor.

In other words, that "free program" displays Ads or Pop-ups and uses your PC's resources(e.g. processor, hardrive) without your knowledge.

my .02¢

enoughfakefiles
01-14-2006, 01:15 PM
Lately, I'm finding that Firefox 1.5 is hogging a shitload of mine if I've had it open for a while :dry:

I've been having this problem latley with firefox. I'm led to believe it's a problem with firefox not freeing up memory. It sometimes uses up over 3/5's of my ram after a while. The only solution i've found so far it to re-start firefox every so often :dry:

zapjb
01-14-2006, 04:59 PM
I 2nd the suggestion to defrag.

digmen1
01-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Thanks guys.

I have nto had the propblem for a week now. But when it comes up I will be able to use Ctrl Alt Del to see what process is using up all my rescources.

I defrag once a month.

Thanks guys
Regards
Digby

4play
01-15-2006, 04:58 AM
im guessing its limewire it really chews through my ram when left running for too long.

feckin java