PDA

View Full Version : Going From Intel To AMD

trajillo
01-09-2006, 11:18 PM
hey i currently got a intel s478 2.8ghz right now i am planning to upgrade to an AMD system..how do i do it and what do you recommend for gaming and nice mobo to go with it? and explain to me the difference between the 2 and what does like 2700+ mean?

{I}{K}{E}
01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
you wanna switch but you have no idea which one is actually 'better'? :huh:

why do you wanna go from intel to AMD?

Shiranai_Baka
01-09-2006, 11:34 PM
Hm. Lol.. that how question is beyond me but you'll have to replace your mobo, cpu, and possibly ram(? I'm sure I read that Intel and AMD ram run on different CAS latencies)

I recommend an AMD athlon 3500+ for gaming with 2 gig ram. I've read that the 3000+ and etc mean it's the same speed as an Intel 3ghz. However, I'm not sure since they have the netburst technology and Intel transfers info in a more sloppier fashion.

cpt_azad
01-10-2006, 01:10 AM
need new CPU and motherboard, ram u can keep i'm 99.9% sure (y wouldn't u be able to keep ur old ram, cuz that would make no sense :blink: ).

silent h3ro
01-10-2006, 01:22 AM
If u plan on a new AMD I would suggest a dual core and the only reason u won't be able to use ur new ram is if it's DDR2 memory. Not sure what u meant, azad. :P Although I found out that AMD will use the DDR2 memory sometime this year from a quick Google.

trajillo
01-10-2006, 04:14 AM
yeah but my main problem now is that i got a 6600gt on AGP! which means if i were to get pci-e mobo then i would have to spend $200 on another 6600gt PCI-e ...hmm but i was looking at this and wondering if its good.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081

cpt_azad
01-10-2006, 05:33 AM
this is what you do:

find some chump/dumbass and sell ur vidcard (use ur imagination here to convince him/her/it) for double what u bought it, and yes, it is completely possible, in fact, offer that person ull install it for them free of charge

use that money to buy a PCI-E card equivalent OR a better card

if u went w/ the equivalent card for PCI-E, then take the surplus money and put it towards a good DUAL CORE AMD processor as gameguy pointed out, preferabbly 3800+ and up.

and if u went with a more extravagent vid card, then save up and get a dual core anyway, cuz in a few months/year(s) ull need to upgrade to dualcore anyway.

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then :D

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2006, 06:17 AM
this is what you do:

find some chump/dumbass and sell ur vidcard (use ur imagination here to convince him/her/it) for double what u bought it, and yes, it is completely possible, in fact, offer that person ull install it for them free of charge

if u went w/ the equivalent card for PCI-E, then take the surplus money and put it towards a good DUAL CORE AMD processor as gameguy pointed out, preferabbly 3800+ and up.

and if u went with a more extravagent vid card, then save up and get a dual core anyway, cuz in a few months/year(s) ull need to upgrade to dualcore anyway.

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then :D
A fine example of how to rip someone off. A 12year old at that. Remind me to never buy anything from cpt_azad. :dry:

S!X
01-10-2006, 07:50 AM
cpt_azad is a huge scam artist.... im suprised you guys didnt know that :dry:

trajillo
01-10-2006, 08:51 AM
im going to go with buying a AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 64-BIT CPU which is about $500 AUS ...then that leaves me $200 left to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081
That... then when i get enough i'll get a pci-e graphics card and add it to that...
or i'll try and sell my 6600gt (i got for $212) i'll try and sell for $250 then i will have $450 to buy a 6600gt pci-e or higher and mobo but still getting the dual core.
i'll go with the first option until i can find a buying for at least $200 .

fkdup74
01-10-2006, 05:15 PM
im going to go with buying a AMD ATHLON64 X2 3800+ 64-BIT CPU which is about $500 AUS ...then that leaves me $200 left to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157081
That... then when i get enough i'll get a pci-e graphics card and add it to that...
or i'll try and sell my 6600gt (i got for $212) i'll try and sell for $250 then i will have $450 to buy a 6600gt pci-e or higher and mobo but still getting the dual core.
i'll go with the first option until i can find a buying for at least $200 .

if I was the guy you were trying to sell that card to....
I'd take that card from you and pound it up yer arse.....sideways even :dry:

how can you justify trying to sell something used for more than it goes retail?
take the loss like a fucking man, get $100 or so back on it or whatever
but don't go trying to fuck poeple over

DanB
01-10-2006, 06:14 PM
do you mean a scam artist or a lying fuck when talking about capt_spazad?

Virtualbody1234
01-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Yes.

silent h3ro
01-10-2006, 10:22 PM
this is what you do:

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then :D:lol: :lol:

Seedler
01-11-2006, 12:47 AM
The 12-year old probably upgraded from integrated graphics anyways, so the 5200fx would be a gaming beast for him...All he probably plays is CS1.6 or something. He's gonna find out though, soon or later and curse cpt_azad for his next 200 generations.

S!X
01-11-2006, 01:00 AM

Both :dry:

cpt_azad
01-11-2006, 02:20 AM
this is what you do:

edit: real life example: i sold my geforce fx5200, yes a crappy 5200 128mb PCI (not express or AGP!) card, for 250 dollars canadian! i installed it for him, he's like 12 yrs old and got his parents to buy it for him. i didnt find any buyers but u gotta keep looking, there is always someone dumb enough, always. but then again, this was half a year ago, no idea what 5200's were worth, but definitely not that much, prob. not even worth 60 bucks back then :D A fine example of how to rip someone off. A 12year old at that. Remind me to never buy anything from cpt_azad. :dry:

lets see hmmm, u probably know more about computers than i do, therfore:

1) u would not fall for my tricks
2) if you were in my shoes and had an oppurtunity to make extra money, then you would definitely do what i did :)

and ya it was an integrated onboard vid card that kid had, lol he still has no clue :P :lol:

silent h3ro
01-11-2006, 02:23 AM
That kid got pwned. :P I would do the same lol if I had the chance, I must admit.

peat moss
01-11-2006, 03:05 AM
I know its buyer beware but after reading a couple of the retard ,ripoff a twelve year old child coments its fucking unbelievable ! Have some pride and atleast give him some programs and a lifetime warranty for christ sake .

Virtualbody1234
01-11-2006, 03:19 AM

2) if you were in my shoes and had an oppurtunity to make extra money, then you would definitely do what i did :)

How dare you. You cannot know what I would do. It's my choice if I want to be honest and/or ethical or not. You have no right to decide that for me. :angry:

And no. I wouldn't do the same thing. :dry:

Shiranai_Baka
01-11-2006, 03:34 AM
A fine example of how to rip someone off. A 12year old at that. Remind me to never buy anything from cpt_azad. :dry:

and ya it was an integrated onboard vid card that kid had, lol he still has no clue :P :lol:

I feel sorry for the kid is all I have to say. But I guess money is more important to some people :).
Don't flame me misters!

cpt_azad
01-11-2006, 06:08 AM

How dare you. You cannot know what I would do. It's my choice if I want to be honest and/or ethical or not. You have no right to decide that for me. :angry:

And no. I wouldn't do the same thing. :dry:
one can only assume what goes on in that brain of yours, having experienced some bad times in my life, i kinda concluded that at the end of the day, its my interests and agendas that need to be fulfilled, not some 12 year old that doesnt know jack about comps, his loss, albeit he is my neighbour.

the way i see it, if you don't do your research then you deserve to get pwned, and besides, he's my f'ing neighbour, i know him, he doesn't play games like hl2 and stuff, his cpu is a freakin bottleneck, even if u gave him a 7800gtx, it would do more harm than good.

edit: to anyone that will prob. post to my "him not knowing" statement about how i could have taken the time to teach him some basics about hardware, ive got this to say: let him figure out, last i checked, no one taught me jack about comps, not even my dumb-as-fuck info tech teacher.

S!X
01-11-2006, 06:53 AM
not even my dumb-as-fuck info tech teacher.

LOL... mr. yung is a homo. :dry: :angry:

trajillo
01-11-2006, 07:15 AM
ok so whats the topic now?

peat moss
01-11-2006, 07:15 AM
edit: to anyone that will prob. post to my "him not knowing" statement about how i could have taken the time to teach him some basics about hardware, ive got this to say: let him figure out, last i checked, no one taught me jack about comps, not even my dumb-as-fuck info tech teacher.[/QUOTE]

Well there is a little matter called Karma , but I'm older so don't mean to flame I just take pride in what little knowledge I can share for free . Simple really but you'll learn . :)

peat moss
01-11-2006, 07:17 AM
ok so whats the topic now?

Your right , I 'd stick with the intel go from there . Upgrade the cpu ?

lynx
01-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Whether you go for Intel or Amd, you've got to change the motherboard.

All new Intel chipsets are now using DDR2 memory AFAIK, so if you go that route you've got to buy new memory too. If you go for Amd you save money or get a better processor, and there's a good chance that by the time you go for your next upgrade DDR3 will be in full swing, so you will have skipped DDR2 completely.

If you don't want to change to pci-e right now, but want the option of changing soon the Asrock choice seems pretty sensible.

sArA
01-11-2006, 01:34 PM
edit: to anyone that will prob. post to my "him not knowing" statement about how i could have taken the time to teach him some basics about hardware, ive got this to say: let him figure out, last i checked, no one taught me jack about comps, not even my dumb-as-fuck info tech teacher.

Well there is a little matter called Karma , but I'm older so don't mean to flame I just take pride in what little knowledge I can share for free . Simple really but you'll learn . :)

Yep...hope your mobo crashes and burns and costs you double to repair.....I have a 12 year old kid, they tend to be trusting of people they know, expecting at least a bit of fairness.....if you really ripped him off then you are a complete wanker and I don't care if this is an off topic flame. :angry:

trajillo
01-11-2006, 10:51 PM
ok i've decided on this...but right now i got 2 sticks of 512 DDR400 so will it work with this ... it should.
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264
Graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

Cpu price: around $450-500
mobo price: around $100-120
graphicss: around $200 - 225

and i got about $890 to spend...i should be fine

silent h3ro
01-11-2006, 11:05 PM
I really regret my 6600gt but it just depends on what resolution u run games at.

trajillo
01-11-2006, 11:11 PM
I really regret my 6600gt but it just depends on what resolution u run games at.
well i got one already on agp and it runs fair good so im sticking with that until a few months till i get enough for a better one..no big rush

Virtualbody1234
01-11-2006, 11:23 PM
ok i've decided on this...but right now i got 2 sticks of 512 DDR400 so will it work with this ... it should.
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138264
Graphics: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130214

Cpu price: around $450-500
mobo price: around $100-120
graphicss: around $200 - 225

and i got about $890 to spend...i should be fine
Don't buy a motherboard with onboard graphics when you intend to use a graphics card.

If you really want to stick with Biostar then perhaps this would be a better choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138248 It even has an XGP slot. Which seems to support AGP (unsure). :unsure: Extra info: http://www.biostar-usa.com/knowledgespec.asp?faqid=99962

But I really think you should consider a better motherboard overall since you want to run a Dual Core CPU.

trajillo
01-11-2006, 11:38 PM
actually that does look better...thanks buddy

Virtualbody1234
01-12-2006, 12:08 AM
But I really think you should consider a better motherboard overall since you want to run a Dual Core CPU.What I meant by that is "an even better than the one I posted".

Formula1
01-12-2006, 12:45 AM
If you seriously want a awesome rig, then you should definetely consider getting a better vid card (7800gt for $300) , and then a good motherboard, not a biostar :X.....

The system in my sig is valued at around $680 (excluding hdd, dvd drive etc.) and can score 7400+ on 3dmark 05..

If you buy this vid card, you get a free good quality motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238 .

379+322= 701 + shipping.. but again new amd sockets are coming out soon, and you've got to ask yoursel, do you really need a dual core processor? But anywway goodluck on your system , you'll like it much better than intel...

trajillo
01-12-2006, 03:53 AM
If you seriously want a awesome rig, then you should definetely consider getting a better vid card (7800gt for $300) , and then a good motherboard, not a biostar :X.....

The system in my sig is valued at around $680 (excluding hdd, dvd drive etc.) and can score 7400+ on 3dmark 05..

If you buy this vid card, you get a free good quality motherboard, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814130238 .

379+322= 701 + shipping.. but again new amd sockets are coming out soon, and you've got to ask yoursel, do you really need a dual core processor? But anywway goodluck on your system , you'll like it much better than intel...

nah like i said before i'm going wait up for a better a graphics card but for now im sticking with the 6600gt.

trajillo
01-12-2006, 03:56 AM
But I really think you should consider a better motherboard overall since you want to run a Dual Core CPU.What I meant by that is "an even better than the one I posted".
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131530
what about that then? that seems fine. plus its asus.

cpt_azad
01-12-2006, 07:01 AM

karma sucks, and yes it has happened to me before, the way i see it, everyone takes a beating sometimes, even me.

ontopic: the 7800gs is a very good card, you should look into it. it's not that expensive, i saw one in guildford place mall, and at a store called alinx in strawberry hill (surrey), damn good for the price. and no its not a typo, its called GS, not GT.

Formula1
01-12-2006, 11:31 AM
you mean the 6800gs?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814127200

tesco
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM

I wouldn't everrrr do that to a 12 year old...

trajillo
01-13-2006, 12:06 AM
so any recommendations on a mobo that highly supports the cpu i am getting which is the: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562

fkdup74
01-14-2006, 09:20 AM
one can only assume what goes on in that brain of yours, having experienced some bad times in my life, i kinda concluded that at the end of the day, its my interests and agendas that need to be fulfilled, not some 12 year old that doesnt know jack about comps, his loss, albeit he is my neighbour.

not just VB's brain...how about every decent human fucking being's brain?
hard times? shit. been there done that, it's a piss poor excuse
and doing it to your neighbor makes you a bigger dumbass than you've already shown
hope that kid's dad finds out how you fucked him over and beats the living shit out of you.
have a nice day.

lynx
01-14-2006, 11:28 AM
so any recommendations on a mobo that highly supports the cpu i am getting which is the: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103562
The Asus board you posted should be fine.

One point to remember, most new mobos have a 24-pin power connector, along with a whole new set of power standards they expect your psu to meet. Some boards will still run if you've only got a 20-pin plug (it only fits one way) but others may not, so you may need to update your psu too.

JordoR
01-16-2006, 06:21 AM
not even my dumb-as-fuck info tech teacher.

LOL... mr. yung is a homo. :dry: :angry:

Definately.... :lol:

As for the whole screwing over the 12 year old kid, who even cares? The thing is cpt_azad made a good deal (for himself) to upgrade his computer. First of all if the kid he sold it too wasn't smart enough to do a tiny bit of research, even just going on futureshop.ca even tho they charge a shitload, its his own fault. Secondly, as cpt_azad posted it was his parents money anyway so whatever. I don't see why everyone is flaming him about this.

clocker
01-16-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't see why everyone is flaming him about this.
Because it was a shitty thing to do, maybe?
Sooner or later crap like that comes back to haunt you.
Who's money was used= irrelevant.
Whether the kid performed his due diligence or not= irrelevant.

There was an implicit level of trust implied which the capt. betrayed- that's the only salient fact here.
It really is that black and white.

The world is full of sharks...right now there's one cruising for the capt.
We'll see how he likes it when he becomes the victim.