PDA

View Full Version : Winamp Vs Wmp

ObiWan
04-21-2003, 05:36 PM
What is your favorite multimedia player? Winamp, WMP or somthing else

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 05:41 PM
WMP has the best playlist management, so I mostly use that even though it munches CPU resources.

I use MusicMatch Jukebox for an mp3 alarm.

I don't like WinAMP's interface much, so I don't use it.

alan36uk
04-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Winamp isnt the best interface as Lamsey said..
But I use it as I only listen to music and dont need to
see loads of graphics that others have to offer.

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 05:50 PM
WinAmp ver2 is good, v3 uses as much resource as WMP.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by alan36uk@21 April 2003 - 17:44
Winamp isnt the best interface as Lamsey said..
But I use it as I only listen to music and dont need to
see loads of graphics that others have to offer.
Don't get me wrong, it's not because WinAMP isn't pretty, it's because it's not as easy to use.

Tip for WMP users: disable the visualisations! Very pretty, but a terrible waste of CPU resources.

The graphical equaliser is processor-hungry too, but it does make it sound so much better...

alan36uk
04-21-2003, 05:57 PM
Winamp 3 is not good at all is it lol
As for it being difficult to use ?
I have my stereo attatched to my pc
8 speakers and the sound is fantastic on default.
I cant fault it at all...No load up time...double click
an mp3 and it plays instantly..

amphoteric88
04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
i prefer wmp, but i prefer version 8 to 9
sometimes 9 is freezing up on me, and the sound has been skipping sometimes too. i don't think it's a problem with my comp.
i don't like winamp though, it just has a tacky feel to it imo

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 06:06 PM
Whats hard to use about Winamp? you just load a playlist and it plays itself, or am I missing something? hehe

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:14 PM
yeah but you'd have to make all the playlists yourself.

I like to listen to tracks by album, by artist, or by genre (sticking it on 'rock' and pressing 'shuffle' is great!).

With hundreds of mp3s, making a playlist for each album, each artist and each genre would be unbelievably tedious. And imagine keeping it updated? :x

WMP does all this for you though, so that's why it remains my favourite. Please enlighten me if WinAMP does this and I've missed it. :unsure:

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 19:14
yeah but you'd have to make all the playlists yourself.

I like to listen to tracks by album, by artist, or by genre (sticking it on 'rock' and pressing 'shuffle' is great!).

With hundreds of mp3s, making a playlist for each album, each artist and each genre would be unbelievably tedious. And imagine keeping it updated? :x

WMP does all this for you though, so that's why it remains my favourite. Please enlighten me if WinAMP does this and I've missed it. :unsure:
You're too fussy :D , I like all the music I download, so I just load a full directory (about 500 songs) and let it plat randomly.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:23 PM
You're too fussy  , I like all the music I download, so I just load a full directory (about 500 songs) and let it plat randomly.
I do that sometimes, but it's weird... Nickelback to Great Big Sea to Eddie Izzard to Aretha Franklin to Solas to Del Amitri... it's just a bit weird to have all those different styles mixed up.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for some rock, so I slap it on.
If I feel like a laugh, I rack up an Eddie Izzard album.
If I'm feeling down I slap on some Great Big Sea to cheer myself up (Consequence Free is the best song for cheering yourself up).
etc.

Good playlist management is the key to enjoying your music and getting the most out of it - it's more than just background noise.

Livy
04-21-2003, 06:25 PM
my vote goes for winamp, alot quicker than wmp. and like its video function better on version 2.9, as i watch vids on my laptop on my tv, and my tv is widescreen and so are most movies. and if i tell winamp my screen is 16:9 i get them full screen, unlike before, i got black lines top and bottom.

alan36uk
04-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I have about 10 gig of music :o
And about the same on cd...
Winamp is not cpu hungry and does the job.
http://swordofcreation.com/images/winamp.gif
Simply the best ;)

mrcall1969
04-21-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 19:23

You're too fussy , I like all the music I download, so I just load a full directory (about 500 songs) and let it plat randomly.
I do that sometimes, but it's weird... Nickelback to Great Big Sea to Eddie Izzard to Aretha Franklin to Solas to Del Amitri... it's just a bit weird to have all those different styles mixed up.

Sometimes I'm in the mood for some rock, so I slap it on.
If I feel like a laugh, I rack up an Eddie Izzard album.
If I'm feeling down I slap on some Great Big Sea to cheer myself up (Consequence Free is the best song for cheering yourself up).
etc.

Good playlist management is the key to enjoying your music and getting the most out of it - it's more than just background noise.
Music is never just background noise, I love all the songs I have spent time downloading.

I think of it as one hell of a big car cd multichanger.

If I want a laugh then I load up Billy Connolly mp3's, if I want music then I load everything else.

It's all a question of preference.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:31 PM
That's a point... WMP sucks for videos. I don't watch movies much but when I do, I use Light Alloy, which is a good freeware player.

@mrcall, I see what you're saying but I think it's too wierd to mix certain types of music with others.

I love both Nickelback (Hard rock) and Solas (Irish/Scottish folkish band) but they don't go well together!
I find I enjoy music much better if it's well matched.

Each to his own, I guess...

Livy
04-21-2003, 06:33 PM
Lamsey, the freeware GOD. :rolleyes:

alan36uk
04-21-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Livy@21 April 2003 - 19:33
Lamsey, the freeware GOD. :rolleyes:
lolol
Well I wont knock freebies !!!
I wont pay for any software !!

Livy
04-21-2003, 06:36 PM
neither would i, never paid for software in my life. :D bought a few games though.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:37 PM
I wont pay for any software !!

Me neither... :D

I just like to make it legal as much as possible.

OpenOffice.org is just as good as Microsoft Office and it's free. The only problem is that it's not perfectly compatible with MSOffice documents. But do people use it? No, because the marketing gods at Microsoft conquer all.

bought a few games though.
Me too as well - if I like a game I buy it. Hence I own Age of Empires II, Thief II, Freespace II, etc.
Damn, I seem to like sequels :blink:

Livy
04-21-2003, 06:40 PM
yeah, im using openoffice.org, noticed it on your site, when i first signed up, gave it a try, and still using it.

edit: openoffice.org is now version 1.0.3 or whatever, its 3 at the end anywya, and you stil got ver, 2 on your site, just letting you know.

Lamsey
04-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Oh, cheers, haven't noticed that!

Livy
04-21-2003, 06:44 PM
no prob. B)

Luca_Snipes
04-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Lamsey+21 April 2003 - 19:14--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 21 April 2003 - 19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>

WMP does all this for you though, so that&#39;s why it remains my favourite. Please enlighten me if WinAMP does this and I&#39;ve missed it. :unsure:[/b]
If you sort you MP3 collection properly, a folder for each album, under a folder for each artist, under a folder for each genre if you must, you right click and play in winamp on the folder.....if the mp3&#39;s are named/taged right it&#39;ll work out how to play them in order too, if you join us on soulseek and browse people&#39;s folders you&#39;ll see what i mean

<!--QuoteBegin--Lamsey@21 April 2003 - 19:14

WMP does all this for you though, so that&#39;s why it remains my favourite. Please enlighten me if WinAMP does this and I&#39;ve missed it. :unsure:[/quote]

Winamp 2.9 and 3 have a built in media manager thingy.

And winamp is just the best, you can leave it at the top of the screen, "always on top" turned on and never notice it&#39;s there, just sitting in the title bar space, wounderfull

dingoBaby
04-21-2003, 11:43 PM
If anyone is interested here are my two cents: I have been using a great player called MediaCenter 9.0 by J River. You can check it out here (http://www.mediajukebox.com/mediacenter/). It has loads of features and tools. Its still in beta (late stages) but I haven&#39;t had any problems with it.

Z
04-22-2003, 01:09 AM
why would you use wmp? that is for movies.

winamp3 is good although it takes a lot of resources and loading times, the equalizer is the best part. each song can have its own setting and the thing that only ver3 has is the multiple playlists. i have never used anything else for music. this is simply made for it.

MusicWorld
04-22-2003, 01:34 AM
;) Anybody that uses Windows Media Player should be hung on a stake to die.It assoicates its self with Movies and as we all know Movies are nothing but Satans Children.

"WinAmp.....it really whips the lamas.....I mean Devils ass&#33;"

Z
04-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by MusicWorld@21 April 2003 - 20:34
;) Anybody that uses Windows Media Player should be hung on a stake to die.It assoicates its self with Movies and as we all know Movies are nothing but Satans Children.

"WinAmp.....it really whips the lamas.....I mean Devils ass&#33;
what about the movie: the sound of music? devil? :lol:

edit: actually ive never seen that movie. :P

HankusDankus
04-25-2003, 04:38 AM
I Think that WMP is better no matter what you do. (windows XP users if your having trouble playing video&#39;s with wmp you can allocate more system resources toward wmp and it&#39;ll run smooth as a babys ass). I used winamp for a really long time, and loved it too&#33; But then when my cpu fell behind it started showing straining, skipping, cutting into performance of other programs, and just freezing alltogether. I figured the switch to wmp would be better because:
1)WMP was designed by Microsoft (as is windows)
2)WMP is on your system anyways you might as well use it
3)WMP would probably take up less resources considering windows know everything about WMP and not Winamp
4)WMP has a low probability of freezing, again, because it is a microsoft program designed with windows for windows
Call me a moron if ya disagree, but after considering the above i didn&#39;t see a further use for winamp

swarnel
04-25-2003, 04:39 AM
winamp&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

N£MO
04-25-2003, 07:44 AM
I have used winamp but prefer using QCD player,you can get it here (http://www.quinnware.com/news.html).

But IMO these are the only 2 mp3 palyers worth having.

Luca_Snipes
04-25-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by HankusDankus@25 April 2003 - 05:38
I Think that WMP is better no matter what you do.&nbsp; (windows XP users if your having trouble playing video&#39;s with wmp you can allocate more system resources toward wmp and it&#39;ll run smooth as a babys ass).&nbsp; I used winamp for a really long time, and loved it too&#33;&nbsp; But then when my cpu fell behind it started showing straining, skipping, cutting into performance of other programs, and just freezing alltogether.&nbsp;
Not sure why it would do that, winamp stays skip and error free even if all of windows is crashing round it, if i&#39;m doing any CPU intensive tasks etc

I figured the switch to wmp would be better because:
1)WMP was designed by Microsoft (as is windows)
2)WMP is on your system anyways you might as well use it
3)WMP would probably take up less resources considering windows know everything about WMP and not Winamp
4)WMP has a low probability of freezing, again, because it is a microsoft program designed with windows for windows
Call me a moron if ya disagree, but after considering the above i didn&#39;t see a further use for winamp

1) most of MS&#39;s software is over bloated, full of little things that like to track it&#39;s use
2) i wish it wasn&#39;t
3) WinAMP uses much less CPU and RAM that WMP does, a whole 10MB, where WMP uses something like 70MB, and winamp barly flickers onto the CPU usage scale
4) WMP skips and jumps if I open any program while using it

jetje
04-25-2003, 10:46 AM
I kinda like PUYJ....

But as far as this topic goes...

There is no question.... WINAMP, i can&#39;t understand that people even come up with the comparission.

wmp = evil not as far as it&#39;s movie related, but as it is from MS that is in favor for using wma and in the future is able only to play songs that are verified as being payed for and collected in legal way... Andblock all others. (TCPA & DMR <_< )