PDA

View Full Version : Printers?

Damnatory
01-16-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm using a Lexmark, but I've noticed with any Lexmark I've used, if you do not print for a month or so, the ink cartridges dry up and the heads become unusable... I don't print very ofter, however it's very annoying to have to buy a new cartridge everytime I need to print something. From what I've read, this is a very common problem for lexmark printers.

Can any one be so kind to suggest a good, yet inexpensive printer I can buy that won't have this sort of problem?
Anyone have any experience with the Canon IP6210D (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828102177)?

zapjb
01-16-2006, 09:30 PM
I went backwards after my Lexmark crapped out. I researched the cheapest replacement cartridges for a new printer. I settled on a Epson C62. Replacement cartridges are $4.50 apiece. So 1 tri color & 1 black total $9. I suggest you search backwards also. Cause it's quite easy to get a new printer for $50-$60. And the replacement cartridges will total $70. Btw quite happy with my Epson.

hippychick
01-16-2006, 09:41 PM
I like my HP Deskjet 3745, I got it for under 60 at walleyworld. Its good for photo also

Livy
01-16-2006, 09:56 PM
im very happywith my canon pixma ip2000 and looking into a new one with multi colour cartridges, and the inks are very cheap, i just got a pack of 5 black and 5 colour for £10

zapjb
01-16-2006, 10:01 PM
Nice Livy that's what I'm saying.

lynx
01-16-2006, 10:05 PM
You want to know why Lexmark printer carts dry out?
Lexmark printers use rebadged HP carts, and HP carts don't dry out the same way, so the problem obviously lies in the printer.

If you leave a HP printer switched on, after a while it will automatically park the heads to prevent them drying out. Clones don't have this facility, so if you accidentally leave them on it causes this problem. I assume the firmware for the printers is still supplied by HP, in which case it is probably their way of making these clones less desirable than the HP equivalent.

Those who do a bit more printing and want to pring the cost per page down should try one of these. (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=336927&pfp=BROWSE)
They can't dry up, they are already dry. You don't need photo paper, highest quality prints glossy. And if you do ever run out, simply refill the carts.

Damnatory
01-16-2006, 10:55 PM
I went backwards after my Lexmark crapped out. I researched the cheapest replacement cartridges for a new printer. I settled on a Epson C62. Replacement cartridges are $4.50 apiece. So 1 tri color & 1 black total $9. I suggest you search backwards also. Cause it's quite easy to get a new printer for $50-$60. And the replacement cartridges will total $70. Btw quite happy with my Epson.
The price of those carts is extremely appealing, although it being an older printer I can't seem to find one that isn't used. Electronics are something I just don't feel comfortable buying from eBay... I thank you for the suggestion though, as $10 for all my ink is a rather tasty idea.

Lexmark printers use rebadged HP carts, and HP carts don't dry out the same way, so the problem obviously lies in the printer.

So you are saying that I should go with an HP then to prevent them from drying out like that, since HP "parks" the heads?

I was thinking maybe this one...

HP DeskJet 3745 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828104311)

Appealing in terms of price, I could care less what it looks like as long as it prints and doesn't dry up. The only problem I saw with it, is it uses a multicolor cartridge rather than seperate ones, but I believe the carts are refillable, so that shouldn't be a problem.

You think that one will resolve the problem for me?

Darth Sushi
01-16-2006, 11:04 PM
You could just print a page a day or every other day instead of buying a new printer.

Damnatory
01-16-2006, 11:07 PM
You could just print a page a day or every other day instead of buying a new printer.
Yes but I would have to buy new ink cartidges to do so, which will actually cost me more than buying a new printer. :ermm: :pinch:

zapjb
01-16-2006, 11:08 PM
Just pick a couple printer brands you like. Then find a site or store that sells non oem cartridges. They advertise by brand & model. And the models they list are usually the latest. Then research the cheapest cartridge(s). Copy down the model #s of printer. Then get that printer. Ta dah! Bob's your uncle.

Darth Sushi
01-16-2006, 11:42 PM
Goto this website http://www.supermediastore.com/inktoner.html
Find the cheapest generic cartridge (my canon IP3000 ink cost $2.00 per color)
Then buy the printer based on the cartridge cost.

lynx
01-17-2006, 02:14 AM
I wouldn't have another printer based on HP technology simply because of the price of their carts.

tesco
01-17-2006, 02:41 AM
That's what i'm tryin to explain to my dad.
We can get a whole new, better printer for 120-150, where the cartridges willl cost about $10, but he would rather spend $40x2 for new cartridges on our current printer every few months.:huh:

zapjb
01-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Look around rossco. If you don't want too high end of a printer, they can be had for less than $80. Maybe then your dad would go for it.

Damnatory
01-17-2006, 07:41 PM
Goto this website http://www.supermediastore.com/inktoner.html
Find the cheapest generic cartridge (my canon IP3000 ink cost $2.00 per color)
Then buy the printer based on the cartridge cost.

I took your advice on that site, I even ended up buying a printer from them.

Epson Stylus Photo R220 InkJet (http://www.supermediastore.com/epson-stylus-photo-r220-inkjet-cd-printer.html)

It's got pretty cheap ink, and I can get 18 carts on ebay for $25, plus after doing some research into the R220 I found that there is a constant fill ink system they have on ebay that uses special carts that all I have to do is refill the ink bottles that are mounted on the side, and $25 for 6x85mL ink refills on eBay. Sounds sweet!

zapjb
01-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Nice looking printer. Specs & rating I mean. Keep us posted how you like it. Congrats.

S!X
01-23-2006, 11:25 PM
I had a cheap lexmark and didnt use it for about a month and the ink dried up for like the third time so I got pissed off and threw it in the garbage where it belongs. Just picked up the Epson Stylus CX4200 all in one yesterday and so far this thing is great :D It was $129.99 and theres a $30 mail in rebate so $99.99 final price which is pretty good imo.

Damnatory
01-25-2006, 05:46 AM
I had a cheap lexmark and didnt use it for about a month and the ink dried up for like the third time so I got pissed off and threw it in the garbage where it belongs. Just picked up the Epson Stylus CX4200 all in one yesterday and so far this thing is great :D It was $129.99 and theres a $30 mail in rebate so $99.99 final price which is pretty good imo.

Yeah, I did the same with my Lexmark X75 All in One... Decided that the scanner was not worth keeping the damn thing for, so I pitched down the driveway... However, cleaning up all the little plastic pieces made me regret my tossing it...

On a brighter note, I got my new Epson Stylus Photo R220 finally. It's amazing in comparison to the lexmark. Better print quality on regular paper then the lexmark had on photo paper. :blink:
I'll definately not buy another Lexmark printer. Epson has won my heart. :wub: