PDA

View Full Version : Pc crashing for no reason??? plz help!!

sameer0807
01-18-2006, 08:46 AM
Hi,
I dunno what's going on with my PC, but its crashing 2-3 times a day. The computer just freezes and it makes a weird sound and I have to restart the computer by turning its power supply off.

I have noticed that this mainly happens when I m either: watching a movie or listing to music or downloading from newsleecher.

Its really getting annoying now and I dunno what's causing this.

Can someone please help me?

I'm running Winxp Pro.

dodgy368
01-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Hi,
I dunno what's going on with my PC, but its crashing 2-3 times a day. The computer just freezes and it makes a weird sound and I have to restart the computer by turning its power supply off.

I have noticed that this mainly happens when I m either: watching a movie or listing to music or downloading from newsleecher.

I'm running Winxp Pro.

Sounds like it may be overheating, try cleaning out the fan.

ps, put your system specs on here please.

sameer0807
01-18-2006, 12:36 PM
Hi,

I'm running Winxp Pro.

Sounds like it may be overheating, try cleaning out the fan.

ps, put your system specs on here please.

Hi, I doubt it that its overheating. I cleaned fan with Air Duster about a month ago.
BTW here are the computer specs, let me know if you need more info:
Intel Pentium
2.60 GHz
760MB RAM
Winxp Pro SP2

Also if it would have been overheating, wouldn't the computer would just shut itself off? In my case the computer freezes and makes a weird sound and I manually have to shut it down by disconnecting the power source.

Barbarossa
01-18-2006, 12:50 PM
Hi, I doubt it that its overheating. I cleaned fan with Air Duster about a month ago.
BTW here are the computer specs, let me know if you need more info:
Intel Pentium
2.60 GHz
760MB RAM
Winxp Pro SP2

Also if it would have been overheating, wouldn't the computer would just shut itself off? In my case the computer freezes and makes a weird sound and I manually have to shut it down by disconnecting the power source.

Intermittent freezes are quite often caused by overheating. However, another possible cause could be dodgy RAM.

backlash
01-18-2006, 01:16 PM
try speedfan and check the temps to see if it's not overheating. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Also, check out event viewer and see if there's anything in there that could help you narrow down the problem. Have you tried updating your graphics card drivers?

zapjb
01-18-2006, 05:25 PM
My guess PSU is dying or on it's way What kind PSU, MB, RAM etc.?

quergedanke
01-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Some say: Windows reinstalled, runs faster than all?!

ilw
01-18-2006, 07:02 PM
I;d run something that checks your ram and something that checks your hard drive (both for general errors and also something that will check your Master Boot REcord (MBR)).

Shiranai_Baka
01-18-2006, 10:13 PM
Whoa, there's a program to check your hard drive for hardware defects?!

notmuffy
01-19-2006, 05:28 AM
try speedfan and check the temps to see if it's not overheating. http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php

Thank you Backlash!!!!
I have been having overheating problems just like this other guy said... What a great little app!

backlash
01-19-2006, 02:11 PM

Thank you Backlash!!!!
I have been having overheating problems just like this other guy said... What a great little app!

glad I could help, notmuffy. :)