PDA

View Full Version : What is the NTL Usnet Adress?

Performa460
01-18-2006, 08:46 PM
I live in the UK and I use NTL 1MB Broadband. I am trying to use Usenet but NTL's usenet adress is not on the site anymore (removed due to a site update or summit:frusty: ) dus anyone have the adress?

Thanks

Peerzy
01-18-2006, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't use it if i was you. It was shyte.

Off the top of my head though (might be wrong)

Server: news.ntlworld.com
User Name: Not Needed
Password: Not Needed
Port: 119

Chewie
01-18-2006, 09:21 PM
According to this page: http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm
...you have a choice of two.
news.ntlworld.com
news.cable.ntlworld.com

untraceable2
01-18-2006, 09:31 PM
ntl's server will be useless as they recently removed all newsgroups todo with dvd, movies, tv and music. my friend informed me of this as he uses ntl and now has to pay for a newshosting service.

QualityPapers
01-19-2006, 01:05 PM
ntl's server will be useless as they recently removed all newsgroups todo with dvd, movies, tv and music. my friend informed me of this as he uses ntl and now has to pay for a newshosting service.

Interesting cos im downloading from alt.binaries.movies.divx at 240k a second with my NTL cable connection at the moment.

I wouldn't use it if i was you. It was shyte.

It isnt that bad, sure it isnt as good as a commercial news provider but then its free. I get all my movies this way and it does me fine. Its worth trying to see if it works for you.

Yep its news.cable.ntlworld.com

QP

Performa460
01-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Seems pretty good to me, im downloading at full speed right now. But then again I only have a 1MB Connection.

DanB
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Well I've just started taking advantage of NTL's newsgroups, and although I have only been downing music with it, I am more than happy with it, maxs out out my 2MB connection.

news.cable.ntlworld.com

Performa460
01-19-2006, 05:24 PM
Is it right that you have to use the server that your IP provides or can you use other IPs newsgroup servers?

RealitY
01-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Is it right that you have to use the server that your IP provides or can you use other IPs newsgroup servers?
You can use any payserver if you want to...

Legoflamb
01-21-2006, 03:28 PM
errm actually the ntl newsgroups are spot on, I'm downloading games and films from it constantly.

I'm using news.ntlworld.com - will news.cable.ntlworld.com have any different stuff on there?

Does anyone know whether it's better or worse?

Thanks.

RealitY
01-22-2006, 12:54 AM
I'm using news.ntlworld.com - will news.cable.ntlworld.com have any different stuff on there?

Does anyone know whether it's better or worse?

Thanks.
Most likely little difference although although on some companys that have more than one server you can connect to both at the same time and get better speeds. There may also be slight differences like complettion or retention...

Performa460
01-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I take it Retention is how long the file parts stay online? Any idea how long they stay on NTL?

QualityPapers
01-24-2006, 09:52 AM
I take it Retention is how long the file parts stay online? Any idea how long they stay on NTL?

Seems to be about 7-8days on Alt.binaries.movies.divx thru NTL

freakazoid789
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
hey

yeah i used ntls newsgroups once to download divx movies and mp3s

is it safe?

will they find out and ban me?

btw its great max speeds and no need for a payed usenet service

all u need is the nzb file!

Chewie
04-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Although access records are kept, they'll see what you do only if they look at your individual records. There's no reason to think that just because you're downloading from usenet, they'll single you out amongst hundreds of thousands of other users.

freakazoid789
04-11-2006, 07:23 AM
so they wouldnt really do much to me as an individual?

or will they take action on me as well as everyone eles