PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Firefox 2.0 alpha on Feb 10

peat moss
01-19-2006, 03:03 AM
The first alpha version of Mozilla Firefox 2 codenamed "Bon Ocho" will be released on February 10, 2006 while the final public release of Firefox 2.0 is expected in middle of this year.

Bon Ocho, the Firefox 2 code name is taken from a public park - Bon Echo Provincial Park in Ontario, Canada that translates to "good echo".

Mozilla Firefox 2.0 will have the following new features / improvements:

* Provide an easy access to History and Bookmarks, enhancments to Live Bookmarks
* Tabbed browsing UI improvements - Aim is to decrease the learning curve for new users and make the whole tabs approach more intuitive.
* Improve the process of adding new RSS feeds
* Extension Manager enhancements - option to blacklist firefox extensions
* Search Engine UI improvements - make adding search keywords more easy. Simplify adding or deleting search engines.

There are plans for enhanced security, blacklisting and anti-phishing measures to be fitted to the new version. However, no details of what they might be have been released yet.

:source: Source: http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/01/bon-ocho-mozilla-firefox-20-alpha-on.html

S!X
01-19-2006, 03:36 AM
Nice! cant wait :D

mr. nails
01-19-2006, 06:21 AM
lol, ie7, scratch that. do i hear ie8 now M$? gj mozilla!

peat moss
01-19-2006, 06:48 AM
While I always wait for the Beta , it is interesting that work has already started on Firefox 3 .

" Although the first alpha release of the next version of the popular alternative browser will not be feature complete, it should give users an idea of where the company plans to take Firefox in 2006. The year is expected to be a busy one; work on Firefox 3 is already underway with a release possible late this year or early in 2007. "

http://www.betanews.com/article/Firefox_20_Alpha_MacTel_Version_Soon/1137435894

mr. nails
01-19-2006, 09:16 AM
nice. good stuff. c'mon mozilla OS!

DanB
01-19-2006, 05:14 PM
I haven't even bothered stepping up to 1.5 yet after people had problems with it

true_neo
01-19-2006, 07:29 PM
I haven't even bothered stepping up to 1.5 yet after people had problems with itSo I suppose you don't use any OS, since with every OS there has been people that had problems with it :blink:
Im running FF 1.5 since Beta, and I never had any problems with it. If you don't count the 2 week wait until a fully working Web Developer was available, that is :lol:

DanB
01-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Knobber :dry:

I thought i'd wait till it came out via the auto-update feature, but it never has.

maebach
01-19-2006, 09:03 PM
is mozilla a canadian company?

Filliz
01-19-2006, 09:39 PM
Knobber :dry:

I thought i'd wait till it came out via the auto-update feature, but it never has.
Thats probably because it is advised to completely uninstall any previous versions of Ff before upgrading to 1.5.

tesco
01-19-2006, 11:10 PM
is mozilla a canadian company?
Nope. ;)

The Mozilla Foundation is a California non-profit corporation exempt from federal income taxation under IRC 501(c)3. Donations are tax deductible.

peat moss
01-20-2006, 02:01 AM
I haven't even bothered stepping up to 1.5 yet after people had problems with it

Danb , I think most of those problems were fixed with in the week of its final release . I would install for the security fixes alone plus a few tweaks . The extentsion problems have been addressed for the most part I believe . :)

Glad they changed the version # my friends ask why their version [1.07 ] is newer than the one I'm talking about . :lol: