PDA

View Full Version : Optical Drive crashing PC?

Damnatory
01-19-2006, 10:29 AM
I've sorted the problem with a format and clean install of XP Pro, however I am still baffled...

A friend of mine was having this WEIRD problem with one of his HP DVD-RW drives. Everytime he would put in a DVD movie, or a Music CD, the computer would just shut off as if I hit the soft-reset. You would figure that the same thing would happen for any DVD or CD, but he could load Software CD/DVD's just fine. :blink:

I know I've already fixed the problem, but I still wonder what may have been happening?

lynx
01-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Sony Root Kit? :ph34r:

Damnatory
01-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Sony Root Kit? :ph34r:
Oh god, I hadn't even considered that. :ph34r:

It is very possible, as he recently lost his entire CD collection in a fire. So he's been borrowing any and all CD's he can from friends to rip to his computer and build his collection back up. :(

I've printed out a copy of all the CD's using the XCP content protection, so that we can identify if that was the problem... Don't want that happening again.

tesco
01-22-2006, 05:51 AM
If it ever happens again, disable automatic restart on system failure and you will get a blue screen with error message.

right click my comp -> properties -> advanced -> startup and recovery settings -> untick box next to 'Automatically restart'

fkdup74
01-22-2006, 06:07 AM
A friend of mine was having this WEIRD problem with one of his HP DVD-RW drives.

I have an HP DVD 420 (soon to be replaced)
and while I absolutley hate it, it never shut off my PC...yet....:ph34r:

so anyway...what was the deal?
did the friend get some of that bad Sony DRM shit?
or should I expect my HP to start killing my pc? :P