PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Monitor won't power on in my house??

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 02:28 AM
Hello,

I had a Samsung Syncmaster 995DF for about a 1 1/2 yrs, it went into powersaving mode, then it just wouldn't power on. Luckily it was still under a 3 yr warranty...so I got it replaced by the manufacturer and the gave me a Samsung 997DF...an upgrade...wohhooo!! But to my dissappointment it won't power on, in any of the outlets in my house. I took it back to the shop, and it powered on in their outlet, no problemo.

Anyways... I contacted samsung tech support and he said it might be because our area/house has "dirty" electrical signals or voltage fluctuations, that is causing the monitor not to work in my house. So I bought a Monster PC700 power surge bar that supposed to clean the signal and is a quality surge protector. But the monitor still doesn't work. It was also suggested that I should use a UPS (uniterrupted power source), but how is that any different from a surge protector other than it has back up power?

What do I do???? Anybody experience anything like this??? Solutions???

peat moss
01-20-2006, 02:33 AM
Does it work at the neighbors house ?

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 02:43 AM
I haven't tried....I don't really know the next door peeps. And even if it did work in there, I'm not gonna set up my pc in their house.

I hooked up an older monitor and it works just fine, why won't this one work?

tesco
01-20-2006, 02:55 AM
If you can get a hold of a multimeter/tester you should find out what voltage you're getting in your house...
Easiest way to use it is to set it to volts then stick one lead into the neutral side of your receptacle (The wider blade on your plug = neutral) then stick the other one into the hot (hot = smaller blade, not the round hole).
You can also check the hot to ground (ground = round hole).

Read what it says the voltage is on the multimeter, it should be close to 120volts. If it is too far below or too high you should call the electric company to fix that for you. :)

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 02:59 AM
so buying a UPS won't solve the problem? as recommended by the tech support dude.

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 03:02 AM
also with those multimeter's, do I have to buy a specific kind? Can I buy a cheapo one? I'd probably just buy one then return it, if I could...looks like they run from $20-$70 cdn.

tesco
01-20-2006, 03:08 AM
also with those multimeter's, do I have to buy a specific kind? Can I buy a cheapo one? I'd probably just buy one then return it, if I could...looks like they run from $20-$70 cdn.
First of all I forgot to mention that those insctructions are for canadian and US outlets, but looks like that's not a problem if you're canadian. :)

You can get cheap multimeters at canadian tire for about $10, altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...
The prices can run up into the hundreds on testers but that's mostly for features you aren't going to need.;)

fkdup74
01-20-2006, 03:37 AM
altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...

and just what the hell is wrong with analog? :dry: :P
I tell you, these kids are spoiled these days....

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 04:25 AM
First of all I forgot to mention that those insctructions are for canadian and US outlets, but looks like that's not a problem if you're canadian. :)

You can get cheap multimeters at canadian tire for about $10, altho I dont think they're digital so it might be hard to get the exact reading...
The prices can run up into the hundreds on testers but that's mostly for features you aren't going to need.;)

so if it turns out that my voltage is whacked, can they fix it by just flipping a switch? or do I have to wait for an electrician to come by and fix it in person?

zapjb
01-20-2006, 04:48 AM
Imo electrician.

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 05:03 AM
dang...I just got back from bestbuy and purchased an APC UPS/Surge Protector/ Battery Back up device http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10065920&catid=20196

and tried to run the monitor off the battery supply and still nada. Plugged it into wall and nada. This is pissing me off. How much power do I need to run this monitor?? Every other electronic product works in the house except this bloody monitor....whyyyyyyyy????????

Damnatory
01-20-2006, 05:04 AM
so if it turns out that my voltage is whacked, can they fix it by just flipping a switch? or do I have to wait for an electrician to come by and fix it in person?

If that is the problem, you will have to contact your power company, and wait for them to come out and adjust the power flow to your house, which will be done from the transformer that your power line runs too.

dang...I just got back from bestbuy and purchased an APC UPS/Surge Protector/ Battery Back up device http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10065920&catid=20196

and tried to run the monitor off the battery supply and still nada. Plugged it into wall and nada. This is pissing me off. How much power do I need to run this monitor?? Every other electronic product works in the house except this bloody monitor....whyyyyyyyy????????
Everything else in the house may run off 120v, whereas the moniter could be 210v. :unsure: I doubt it, but maybe...

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 05:20 AM
If that is the problem, you will have to contact your power company, and wait for them to come out and adjust the power flow to your house, which will be done from the transformer that your power line runs too.

Everything else in the house may run off 120v, whereas the moniter could be 210v. :unsure: I doubt it, but maybe...

how can you tell if the monitor runs off 210v?

brucelee21
01-20-2006, 05:25 AM
from the specs it says that the power consumption is less than 110 watt...not sure what the converts to in volts.

lynx
01-20-2006, 09:00 PM
Let's see if I've got this right.

Your old monitor went into powersave mode and wouldn't power on.
Now your replacement monitor won't power on either.

Do you get the idea that the problem may not lie with the monitor? Most modern monitors won't power up until they see a sync signal from the computer, part of the power-saving features.

You say that your older monitor powers up ok. Did you actually see anything on the screen, or were you simply going by the lights on the front? It may not have the power-save feature and therefore appears to work. If that's the case you need to start looking at the contents of your computer.

harrycary
01-22-2006, 06:51 AM
Call you local power company. Part of what you pay for every month is for them to check into problems such as yours. It shouldn't cost you a dime unless the wiring in your home is at fault.

Then try to figure out the problem from there.

btw, the voltage/amperage/wattage requirements of your monitor will printed where the power cord comes out of your monitor or AC adapter("brick).

Speaking of which, do you have an external AC adapter(like most LCD monitors)?

If so, and you're using the same one, this could likely mean it is your culprit.

Good luck and post your solution for others.

lynx
01-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Speaking of which, do you have an external AC adapter(like most LCD monitors)?Syncmaster 995DF and 997DF are crt monitors. :P