PDA

View Full Version : MIME encoder

Karnoa
01-20-2006, 02:34 AM
Okay, I have two questions:

First, I downloaded an album using GrabIt and it shows up in my downloader as text files. Upon further investigation, I found that it uses MIME encoding and I need to convert it manually to mp3s. Can anyone help me out here and let me know how to do that?

Secondly, I tried downloading another album today and it says I've exceeded my bandwidth limit for the month. Well, I've looked at my downloading history and I've downloaded a total of 649 MB, and I am thus bewildered as to why I'm being told I've exceeded my limit. So I called my ISP and they said they have nothing to do with it, and it's a company called Giganews' deal. The only thing I can think of is that the article listings themselves counted against my monthly bandwidth limit. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Damnatory
01-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Okay, I have two questions:

First, I downloaded an album using GrabIt and it shows up in my downloader as text files. Upon further investigation, I found that it uses MIME encoding and I need to convert it manually to mp3s. Can anyone help me out here and let me know how to do that?
Investigating a little further would more than likely prove this to be a Retention problem. Any file older than your Usenet retention will download as zero byte text files.

Secondly, I tried downloading another album today and it says I've exceeded my bandwidth limit for the month. Well, I've looked at my downloading history and I've downloaded a total of 649 MB, and I am thus bewildered as to why I'm being told I've exceeded my limit. So I called my ISP and they said they have nothing to do with it, and it's a company called Giganews' deal. The only thing I can think of is that the article listings themselves counted against my monthly bandwidth limit. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Headers do count against you, which is only one reason why downloading headers sucks. NZB usage is far superior too searching through monotonous headers looking for all the right ones.
Giganews handles all the usenet access with your ISP, so they cap your monthly bandwidth usage. From the looks of it, you have a 700MB cap.

My advice, ignore your ISP provided usenet access, for they normally have like 2 days retention, and terrible completion rates, and pay $14.95 for an Unlimited bandwidth account with NewsHosting (http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500).

Karnoa
01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
The text files I have aren't 0 bytes. They're standard, mp3-sized files (ranging from 2.5 MB to 7 MB). You can even open them and see file info of the song it's supposed to be and then see hundreds of thousands of ASCII characters. Any ideas?

As far as NewsHosting, thanks, I'll look into that.

RealitY
01-20-2006, 09:11 PM
Sounds like your with Comcast which has a 1GB cap a month on their service through GigaNews which is near useless for many. As for the conversion I havent got a clue although when GrabIt creates text files its usually due to corruption or that their no longer on the server although given the size there may be more to it that that...

Karnoa
01-20-2006, 09:49 PM
5. Why do I get text files instead of binaries in the download folder?
GrabIt at this point only supports uuencoded and yEncoded binaries. When a MIME encoded article is downloaded GrabIt cannot find any binary attachments and saves the article as a text file. These textfiles can be decoded with any MIME decoder available on the Internet.

Good guess, Reality. Comcast it is. The above is straight from the GrabIt FAQ. Someone I know linked my to a MIME encoder and I'm pretty sure you had to have Unix or PERL to be able to use it, so I ditched that. Does anyone know where I can get a more Windows friendly one?