PDA

View Full Version : Free groups? good retention?

Legoflamb
01-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Ok so these nzb files seem liek a brilliant way to get stuff without doing the legwork to get it, only things is I download the nzb's but they only download as txt files so I'm guessing the server Iconnect to has already deleted them....

Are there any free servers I can connect to which won't be lame like this?

Thanks!

webe123
01-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Ok so these nzb files seem liek a brilliant way to get stuff without doing the legwork to get it, only things is I download the nzb's but they only download as txt files so I'm guessing the server Iconnect to has already deleted them....

Are there any free servers I can connect to which won't be lame like this?

Thanks!

The two top ones I know of are Newzbin and Newzmonster. Newzbin is a kinda "pay" service, but I think it is something like 9 or 10 dollars for 160 days, and then you can have access to the files to download with filename they give you. (Or you can go to the group and subscribe yourself and download that file by typing it in manually and using "smart select" on a client like newsleecher get all the files to that filename.... for free) I do not have a retention problem with them at all! Their retention is 70 days.

Newzmonster is a totally free nzb site. (no fees at all) I have not had any problems with their retention either. But I could not find out what their retention was.

Are you using a "free" newsgroup account provided by your ISP? If so, you are only going to be dissapointed again and again. Because free newsgroup accounts retention provided by ISPs are usually only good for a few days at most! They also can monitor the newsgroups themselves.

If you do not have a good paid newsserver, you might want to get an account at newshosting. They have a 40 day retention on binary files and an account to download unlimited amounts is just $14.95 a month. They also have a completion rate of 99% on most of their files. And no monitoring.

Filliz
01-21-2006, 06:00 PM
nm.

man1c
01-29-2006, 11:07 PM
Wouldnt be using Grabit by any chance would you?

RealitY
01-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Free servers are generally useless having low retention. As for the servers provided with you internet service some are alright having anywhere from a couple of days retention a couple of weeks. Generally to get anything beyond that youll need a payserver. I suggest NewsHosting as the best deal for the maoney and if you plan on signing up you can use our banner above or our refferal link...
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500

webe123
02-04-2006, 10:35 AM
Wouldnt be using Grabit by any chance would you?

If you are asking me what client I use? I use Newsleecher. It is what I started out with. By the way, it is 10 bucks more a month, but after this month, I am cancelling my account with newshosting and going with giganews. It seems to be the best newsgroup server there is in the US. It is 24.95 a month for an unlimited account, but I get two more bots and better speeds.