PDA

View Full Version : Word of the Day

Gripper
01-21-2006, 11:18 PM
vestibule
(noun) [VES·tah·byool']

1. a passage, hall, or room between the outer door and the interior of a building: "The cold wind howled through the beautiful but decaying vestibule."

2. an enclosed area at the entrance of a passenger car on a railroad train

3. (as in anatomy) any of various bodily cavities leading to another cavity (as of the ear or vagina)

S!X
01-21-2006, 11:37 PM
Pr0nStarS

Lilmiss
01-22-2006, 12:49 AM
me nana kept saying, "pull yer breeks up" earlier.
so i guess breeks. :happy:

hobbes
01-22-2006, 01:03 AM
ennui

http://www.stonehill.edu/nvsa/images/Ennui.jpg

Proper Bo
01-22-2006, 01:28 AM
plinth

hobbes
01-22-2006, 02:52 AM
plinth

Last time this was the word of the day, I do believe a forum scuffle broke out.

:angry: reported

Proper Bo
01-22-2006, 02:55 AM
I was right though:snooty:

Dark Steno
01-22-2006, 03:20 AM
lembu, kambing, ayam.

pigster
01-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Moist or plump.

DorisInsinuate
01-22-2006, 12:52 PM
Kalamazoo

enoughfakefiles
01-22-2006, 02:04 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Gripper
01-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Phil·is·tine ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fl-stn, f-lstn, -tn)
n.

1. A member of an Aegean people who settled ancient Philistia around the 12th century B.C.
1. A smug, ignorant, especially middle-class person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.
2. One who lacks knowledge in a specific area.

adj.

1. Of or relating to ancient Philistia.
2. often philistine Boorish; barbarous: “our plastic, violent culture, with its philistine tastes and hunger for novelty” (Lloyd Rose).

[From Middle English Philistines, Philistines, from Late Latin Philistn, from Greek Philistnoi, from Hebrew Plitîm, from Pleet Philistia.]

Word History: It has never been good to be a Philistine. In the Bible Samson, Saul, and David helped bring the Philistines into prominence because they were such prominent opponents. Though the Philistines have long since disappeared, their name has lived on in the Hebrew Scriptures. The English name for them, Philistines, which goes back through Late Latin and Greek to Hebrew, is first found in Middle English, where Philistiens, the ancestor of our word, is recorded in a work composed before 1325. Beginning in the 17th century philistine was used as a common noun, usually in the plural, to refer to various groups considered the enemy, such as literary critics. In Germany in the same century it is said that in a memorial at Jena for a student killed in a town-gown quarrel, the minister preached a sermon from the text “Philister über dir Simson! [The Philistines be upon thee, Samson!],” the words of Delilah to Samson after she attempted to render him powerless before his Philistine enemies. From this usage it is said that German students came to use Philister, the German equivalent of Philistine, to denote nonstudents and hence uncultured or materialistic people. Both usages were picked up in English in the early 19th century.

philistine

adj 1: of or relatin to ancient Philistia or the the culture of the Philistines [syn: Philistine] 2: smug and ignorant and indifferent or hostile to artistic and cultural values [syn: anti-intellectual] n 1: a person who is uninterested in intellectual pursuits [syn: lowbrow] 2: a member of an Aegean people who settled ancient philistia around the 12th century BC [syn: Philistine]

DorisInsinuate
01-22-2006, 06:22 PM
What's that word that means "get someone else to do the work"?

Guillaume
01-22-2006, 06:23 PM
manker, of course.

GepperRankins
01-22-2006, 06:24 PM
admin

manker
01-22-2006, 06:25 PM
Delegate :dry:

DorisInsinuate
01-22-2006, 06:27 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure that was the one I was thinking of, but it does begin with a D :ermm:

manker
01-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure that was the one I was thinking of, but it does begin with a D :ermm:Designate? :mellow:

DorisInsinuate
01-22-2006, 06:31 PM
No, I'm sure the word was lazy sounding, delegate works though.

manker
01-22-2006, 06:36 PM
Indeed :dabs:

GepperRankins
01-22-2006, 06:40 PM
dick'ed

DorisInsinuate
01-22-2006, 07:02 PM
Cuntswallop.

hobbes
01-22-2006, 08:29 PM
chiaroscuro

http://www.garageglamour.com/tips/articles/chiaroscuro/dualapryll1.jpg
By simply turning the model and not moving the light source, you create chiaroscuro or more chiaroscuro. Note in these two images the more defined Rembrandt lighting on the left image, than on the right, both still are examples of Rembrandt lighting. Both images have chiaroscuro, which in Italian means the interaction of shadows and lights, but because there is more chiaroscuro on the image on the right, the model is more flattering and the image has more impact than the one on the left.

Gripper
01-23-2006, 02:17 PM
hoi pol·loi Pronunciation Key (hoi p-loi)
n.

The common people; the masses.

[Greek, the many : hoi, nominative pl. of ho, the; see so- in Indo-European Roots + polloi, nominative pl. of polus, many; see pel-1 in Indo-European Roots.]

Usage Note: Hoi polloi is a borrowing of the Greek phrase hoi polloi, consisting of hoi, meaning “the” and used before a plural, and polloi, the plural of polus, “many.” In Greek hoi polloi had a special sense, “the greater number, the people, the commonalty, the masses.” This phrase has generally expressed this meaning in English since its first recorded instance, in an 1837 work by James Fenimore Cooper. Hoi polloi is sometimes incorrectly used to mean “the elite,” possibly because it is reminiscent of high and mighty or because it sounds like hoity-toity. ·Since the Greek phrase includes an article, some critics have argued that the phrase the hoi polloi is redundant. But phrases borrowed from other languages are often reanalyzed in English as single words. For example, a number of Arabic noun phrases were borrowed into English as simple nouns. The Arabic element al- means “the,” and appears in English nouns such as alcohol and alchemy. Thus, since no one would consider a phrase such as “the alcohol” to be redundant, criticizing the hoi polloi on similar grounds seems pedantic.