PDA

View Full Version : The WB & UPN Are Merging To Form A New Channel

Busyman
01-25-2006, 10:25 AM
The new channel will be CW.

Warner Brothers and CBS Corp. announced plans Tuesday for the creation of a new broadcast television network, called CW, that would replace the WB and UPN networks in the fall of this year reports CNN.

The new broadcast network will draw on programming from both WB and UPN, and will be a joint venture between Warner Bros. and CBS, with each company owning 50 percent. The new network has confirmed it will broadcast such UPN shows as "America's Next Top Model" and "Veronica Mars," as well as WB programs "Beauty and the Geek", "Gilmore Girls" and "Smallville."

In addition, World Wrestling Entertainment's "Smackdown," which has been a mainstay at UPN, is expected to play a role in the schedule. The new fall line up is expected to be announced in May. Both networks will cease operations in September, broadcasting their respective network schedules independently until then.

Thus the fate of such series as "One Tree Hill", "Everybody Hates Chris", "Supernatural", "Charmed", "7th Heaven" and "Everwood" are at present in the balance.

I've already heard 7th Heaven will be canceled 'cause it costs too much.
I doubt Supernatural will be canceled but I don't know how the rating are going.

Cheese
01-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Please axe Charmed. And then literally axe the people involved with this "show".

Supernatural should be safe from other stuff I've been reading, but US TV is quite complicated to an outsider looking in. I never completely understand some of the crazy scheduling tactics they employ or the early axing of shows.

Busyman
01-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Please axe Charmed. And then literally axe the people involved with this "show".

Supernatural should be safe from other stuff I've been reading, but US TV is quite complicated to an outsider looking in. I never completely understand some of the crazy scheduling tactics they employ or the early axing of shows.
Sometimes they are just FUCKING STUPID.

It has nothing to do with whether you are a foreigner or not.

If Supernatural doesn't have the ratings, it gets axed. Critical acclaim has fuck all to do with it.

Cheese
01-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Supernatural should be safe from other stuff I've been reading, but US TV is quite complicated to an outsider looking in. I never completely understand some of the crazy scheduling tactics they employ or the early axing of shows. Sometimes they are just FUCKING STUPID.

If Supernatural doesn't have the ratings, it gets axed. Critical acclaim has fuck all to do with it.
Over here we tend to give our shows much more time, a few series to gain a following. A show here would have to have bad ratings and be truly awful to get axed mid-season or after one season for instance.

Busyman
01-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Sometimes they are just FUCKING STUPID.

Over here we tend to give our shows much more time, a few series to gain a following. A show here would have to have bad ratings and be truly awful to get axed mid-season or after one season for instance.
Aren't you guy's seasons shorter?

Plus your TV market is wayyy smaller.

And no, I couldn't see a 24 episode series making it to a second season if the rating were bad.:huh:

After 8 episodes one can probably tell if anyone's watching.

We haven't that many good shows get canceled early anyway.

The good ones shows that canceled did leave me pissed off though.

John Doe springs to mind. I didn't watch Firefly much.

matt526
01-25-2006, 04:32 PM
I like the move. We get UPN right now but can't get WB
so now maybe we can get shows like "Smallville" and "Gilmore Girls"

Peerzy
01-25-2006, 08:11 PM

And no, I couldn't see a 24 episode series making it to a second season if the rating were bad.:huh:

Not always, however a lot of UK shows are 1 hour long each and run for maybe 8 to 12 episodes. It depends really, some shows have like 24 episodes in a series and some shows (Shameless) have very few episodes but tend to get made quicker, it doesn't take a whole year to get a new season.

When our shows are shown though we don't get any mid-season breaks or chances due to sport/other reasons. A show has a time slot each week and even if the world ended that show will be on at that time, no exceptions.

Busyman
01-25-2006, 08:19 PM

Not always, however a lot of UK shows are 1 hour long each and run for maybe 8 to 12 episodes. It depends really, some shows have like 24 episodes in a series and some shows (Shameless) have very few episodes but tend to get made quicker, it doesn't take a whole year to get a new season.

When our shows are shown though we don't get any mid-season breaks or chances due to sport/other reasons. A show has a time slot each week and even if the world ended that show will be on at that time, no exceptions.
Yeah over shows are preempted for sports. Many times I'd tivo 60 Minutes and find that a football game is on and 60 Minutes is pushed back. 60 Minutes is one of few shows to get pushed instead of just not shown that day.

Sporting events can't be moved around. TV shows can.

The network gets the ratings for both.

The point of the network is to make money through the selling of advertising and not critical accliam.

I wonder how many primetime hour-long shows over there have 24 episodes. It takes very strong show to hit the 20 episode mark.

Cheese
01-26-2006, 02:18 AM
I wonder how many primetime hour-long shows over there have 24 episodes. It takes very strong show to hit the 20 episode mark.
Much like the weak $ to our strong £, the average British show is worth 3 episodes of any given American show. Therefore:

Life on Mars - 8 episodes per season = 1 season of 24
Doctor Who - 13 episodes per season = 36 episodes of Lost (plus 3 re-cap episodes)
Fawlty Towers - 6 episodes per season = 7012 episodes of Friends
Shameless - 10 episodes per season = 3 billion episodes of Charmed.

Formula1
01-26-2006, 03:18 AM
The wb sucks. the only good show they have, are reruns of the Simpsons. UPN? Please don't make me go there.

g4tv is awesome :P

Busyman
01-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Much like the weak $ to our strong £, the average British show is worth 3 episodes of any given American show. Therefore:

Doctor Who - 13 episodes per season = 36 episodes of Lost (plus 3 re-cap episodes)
Shameless - 10 episodes per season = 3 billion episodes of Charmed.
Exactly what I thought...super short seasons.:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheese
01-26-2006, 02:41 PM

Shameless - 10 episodes per season = 3 billion episodes of Charmed. Exactly what I thought...super short seasons.:lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, check out the new series Life on Mars (if you haven't already), I think you might like it. Old school cops in the 70's with a CSI-like guy (all evidence collecting and by the book) from the future in it. Great stuff.

maebach
01-26-2006, 08:43 PM
I hope they dont cancel everybody hates chris.