PDA

View Full Version : Car accident.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I was recently involved in a car accident, my car is totaled, I and need to prove it was no fault to me. I hit an old man from behind, whitch makes the fight difficult. He pulled out of a KFC immediatley into the left lane and then stopped, puts his signal on to make a left turn in a span of about 30 - 40 feet. THe roads were wet, and I smashed him. I have pictures of the accident, maps of the road, and google satilite images is this enough to prove my innoncence?

Proper Bo
01-25-2006, 03:40 PM
If you rear-ended him, it's gonna be your fault 9 times out of ten:no:

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 03:50 PM
If you rear-ended him, it's gonna be your fault 9 times out of ten:no:

Sad but true. Can you prove you weren't speeding? :huh:

manker
01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Your last thread was entitled Car Accident (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=109994) too.

Have you considered a bicycle :mellow:

Mr. Mulder
01-25-2006, 03:53 PM
pretend that you were drunk and didn't know what you were doing :no:

Gripper
01-25-2006, 04:03 PM
or on drugs

Virtualbody1234
01-25-2006, 04:25 PM
I was recently involved in a car accident, my car is totaled, I and need to prove it was no fault to me. I hit an old man from behind, whitch makes the fight difficult. He pulled out of a KFC immediatley into the left lane and then stopped, puts his signal on to make a left turn in a span of about 30 - 40 feet. THe roads were wet, and I smashed him. I have pictures of the accident, maps of the road, and google satilite images is this enough to prove my innoncence?
It sounds to me that you were at fault. If the roads were wet then you should have taken that into consideration and drive at a safe speed to be able to avoid hitting anything in front of you.

Proper Bo
01-25-2006, 04:29 PM
I hit an old man from behind

I'm dissapointed that nobody picked that out:no:

Duffman
01-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Yeah but he made an illegal turn, cut me off, and I couldn't see him signal to make the left turn because he was only in the left lane for 3 seconds before I hit him.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 04:43 PM
And the other thread was me seeing a cool accident...

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah but he made an illegal turn, cut me off, and I couldn't see him signal to make the left turn because he was only in the left lane for 3 seconds before I hit him.

tbh mate, it sounds like your fault. :dabs:

Gripper
01-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Not gonna do your insurance premiums much good,if 17 is your real age.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 04:47 PM
How can it be my fault, even the cops said 60/40, 40 for me, I just want to bring that 40 down

Gripper
01-25-2006, 04:48 PM
How can it be my fault, even the cops said 60/40, 40 for me, I just want to bring that 40 down
what country are you in?

Virtualbody1234
01-25-2006, 04:49 PM
You don't seem to understand that if you hit him you weren't driving safely. Safe driving takes everything into consideration.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm in the us, but I was driving the speed limit, he broke the law.

Virtualbody1234
01-25-2006, 04:53 PM
Another thing is that you say you totaled your car. You don't do that at low speeds.

Proper Bo
01-25-2006, 04:55 PM
assuming that you were doing the speed limit which is 30mph for example, the 3/4 seconds he was in your lane should have been enough time for you to hit the brakes and slow yourself to a speed which wouldn't have totalled your car. Sounds to me you weren't watching where you were going.

Guillaume
01-25-2006, 04:56 PM
What if the car was a rusty bucket of rust? :unsure:

Gripper
01-25-2006, 04:57 PM
If he hit a volvo it would feck his car

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 05:05 PM
I'm in the us, but I was driving the speed limit, he broke the law.

What law did he break? He pulled out of a KFC slip-road and then tried to turn left.

I'm confused. Is that not allowed in the States? :blink:

As soon as he pulled out, you should have braked and been wary, and probably called him a wanker a couple of times, but at least have been on the ball enough to not ram him up the arse... :dabs:

vidcc
01-25-2006, 05:11 PM
Why don't you just accept responsibility for your own actions and learn from it. Because if you don't the next time you are driving without paying attention to your surroundings you may find you are no longer alive to cry about it after.

manker
01-25-2006, 05:15 PM
Feck, I always drive without really thinking what I'm doing.

I suspect everyone does. It's impossible to take a 30 minute car journey without your mind wandering for at least thirty seconds. At least.
My mind probably wanders for closer to 25 minutes of the thirty.

The kid was unlucky, give him a break.

Duffman, if the guy was breaking the law - try to get legal aid (if that exists in America) and tell the solicitor to handle matters for you. Otherwise, you'll have to take the insurance hit :dabs:

Proper Bo
01-25-2006, 05:16 PM
try to get aids (if that exists in America) and tell the solicitor to handle matters for you.

:dabs:

DanB
01-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Another thing is that you say you totaled your car. You don't do that at low speeds.

Well thats wrong for starters.

My friend hit a Jeep up the arse in his XR2i at about 5 mph, the XR2i was written off, the jeep was unscratched :(

manker
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM
try to get aids (if that exists in America) and tell the solicitor to handle matters for you.

:dabs:Oh yeah, aids exists in America alright.

That's where it started. Apparently, too many of their citizens were shagging circus monkeys and the disease made the jump from chimp to human :no:

Bit like bird flu in asia, except more bestial.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 05:19 PM

I suspect everyone does. It's impossible to take a 30 minute car journey without your mind wandering for at least thirty seconds. At least.

I can give him a break for being unlucky, we all make mistakes. What I can't accept is trying to avoid responsibility for mistakes.

manker
01-25-2006, 05:24 PM

I can give him a break for being unlucky, we all make mistakes. What I can't accept is trying to avoid responsibility for mistakes.How can you tell that he is responsible.

I certainly can't - which is why I advised getting a legal representation.

No point telling him to take responsibility for the accident if he wasn't actually to blame. That's just silly.

Okay, he's seventeen and an inexperienced driver but let's not be judgmental.

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 05:29 PM
He wants to hope that Judge Mental isn't presiding over the case :pinch:

Duffman
01-25-2006, 05:34 PM
It was a 2 lane road, he made a right turn into the left lane, I thought he was going straight, and then he just stopped, I slammed the breaks and skidded into him, my car sank down when it skidded, I went under his car and caught my radiator and head light on his bumper and moved them back about a foot. His car had some scratches, and his muffler was hanging 3 inches or so, but it was fine.

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 05:38 PM
his muffler was hanging 3 inches or so, but it was fine.

Since he was an old man, I don't think it would have mattered too much if you'd hurt his "muffler"... :blink:

Seriously, good luck in proving it wasn't your fault, but I don't know if you will be able to unless the police decide to help out a bit more.

manker
01-25-2006, 05:40 PM
It was a 2 lane road, he made a right turn into the left lane, I thought he was going straight, and then he just stopped, I slammed the breaks and skidded into him, my car sank down when it skidded, I went under his car and caught my radiator and head light on his bumper and moved them back about a foot. His car had some scratches, and his muffler was hanging 3 inches or so, but it was fine.Seems to me like you were prolly going a bit fast and possibly culpable of not being aware of the surrounding traffic - at least that's what their insurance representatives will say.

However, as you rightly state, he made a right turn into a left lane (duno if it's illegal, you seem to be sure it is) - so that's him slightly fecked.

Both parties could be said to be at fault.

Get a solicitor or let the insurance companies fight it out.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 05:41 PM
Well the law is you can't switch lanes without driving 100ft in your current lane, so he never even went in the right lane, and the left turn was no more that 40 feet from the parking lot exit. But is that enough?

manker
01-25-2006, 05:44 PM
Well the law is you can't switch lanes without driving 100ft in your current lane, so he never even went in the right lane, and the left turn was no more that 40 feet from the parking lot exit. But is that enough?Feck knows, most of us replying here are from the UK and don't have the slightest about US highway laws.

Vid probably knows your laws better - but he's more concerned with you learning a valuable life lesson :rolleyes:

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 05:48 PM
Well the law is you can't switch lanes without driving 100ft in your current lane, so he never even went in the right lane, and the left turn was no more that 40 feet from the parking lot exit. But is that enough?Feck knows, most of us replying here are from the UK and don't have the slightest about US highway laws.

I know they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's about it. :dabs:

manker
01-25-2006, 05:49 PM
Feck knows, most of us replying here are from the UK and don't have the slightest about US highway laws.

I know they drive on the wrong side of the road, that's about it. :dabs:All their cars look like trucks and do about six miles to the gallon.

Also, the roads don't have corners and roundabouts are too tricky for them, so they don't have any :dabs:

Duffman
01-25-2006, 05:50 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=kentucky+11565&btnG=Search&ll=40.658504,-73.664339&spn=0.001251,0.002516&t=h

Heres a map of where it happened, on remsen, the exit in the parking lot is a little more to the left though. The roads were wet, I couldn't do anything there was a car going the same speed next to me, and well the other side of the road was fucked too.

Barbarossa
It sounds like they need to phase out junctions altogether. :dabs:

vidcc
How can you tell that he is responsible.

his account of events.

manker
01-25-2006, 05:56 PM

his account of events.Don't you mean your interpretation of his account of events. Yes. Yes you do.

I've seen the same account of events and I don't believe it to be clear cut. A traffic cop either witnessed events or reacted to his account of events and said that it wasn't clear cut (60:40 in Duffman's favour, actually).

Unless you've been hiding a clairvoyance talent under a bushel, you're in the same boat as him, me, and the traffic cop. You really don't know who is responsible.

Hence imploring him to take responsibility for the accident is a trifle premature.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:11 PM
He has a police report. That is what the insurance companies will look at ultimately if he disputes the claims.
I would add that I am telling him to accept reponsibilities for HIS actions and have made no comment on the other driver.

But let's see.

Duffman claims the other driver made an illegal left turn, but if that is where the junction is why is it illegal and did the cops issue him a ticket? how would one go about turning on offset junctions? I would like to know which state he lives in that has this 100 ft. "law" and if Duffman knows of any exceptions.
(to give you an idea of what I am talking about think of the UK law of overtaking on the inside)
Even if this other driver wasn't paying attention and did pull out when he should have waited it still doesn't excuse Duffman from not paying attention to his surroundings. He should be aware of other vehciles at junctions and be driving in a manner that he can anticipate "the carelessness of others"

DanB
01-25-2006, 06:15 PM
He should .... anticipate "the carelessness of others"

How the hell can you do that? If you thought like that about driving you'd end up walking and even then some careless fucker could run you over so really you should have stayed at home :blink:

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 06:16 PM
I would like to know which state he lives in that has this 100 ft. "law" and if Duffman knows of any exceptions.

He's in New York, isn't he? :blink:

DanB
01-25-2006, 06:17 PM
I would like to know which state he lives in that has this 100 ft. "law" and if Duffman knows of any exceptions.

he even provided a satellite photo of the area via Google Earth

Barbarossa
01-25-2006, 06:18 PM

he even provided a satellite photo of the area via Google Earth

That's how I know too, Watson. :P

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:19 PM
He should .... anticipate "the carelessness of others"

How the hell can you do that? If you thought like that about driving you'd end up walking and even then some careless fucker could run you over so really you should have stayed at home :blink:

How about you put the entire sentence instead of taking a couple of words

manker
01-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I would add that I am telling him to accept reponsibilities for HIS actions.He's doing so. He's taken pictures and is asking advice for what to do next.

He believes the other driver to be in the wrong, this has been backed up by a traffic cop, and now wants to ensure that the insurance company shares this view.

He is in a better position to judge whether he's in the right that we are.

It's fairly obvious to the unbiased observer that he is taking responsiblity for what he's done.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:22 PM

How about you put the entire sentence instead of taking a couple of wordsYou mean like what you did here (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1244882&postcount=39).

Surely you're not calling the kettle black, mr pot :smilie4:

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:29 PM
From the Uk highway code but it is pretty much the same here.

104: The speed limit is the absolute maximum and does not mean it is safe to drive at that speed irrespective of conditions. Driving at speeds too fast for the road and traffic conditions can be dangerous. You should always reduce your speed when

* the road layout or condition presents hazards, such as bends
* sharing the road with pedestrians and cyclists, particularly children, and motorcyclists
* weather conditions make it safer to do so
* driving at night as it is harder to see other road users.

Stopping distances

105: Drive at a speed that will allow you to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear. You should

* leave enough space between you and the vehicle in front so that you can pull up safely if it suddenly slows down or stops. The safe rule is never to get closer than the overall stopping distance (see Typical Stopping Distances diagram below)
* allow at least a two-second gap between you and the vehicle in front on roads carrying fast traffic. The gap should be at least doubled on wet roads and increased still further on icy roads
* remember, large vehicles and motorcycles need a greater distance to stop.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 06:31 PM
This is getting ammusing, taking my mind of all the walking I have to do now that my car is wrecked, I have pics of the damage but its about 20 pics and 12 mb, if anyone has a good host let me know.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:31 PM
How about you put the entire sentence instead of taking a couple of wordsYou mean like what you did here (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1244882&postcount=39).

Surely you're not calling the kettle black, mr pot :smilie4: WTF are you talking about. I read his entire post and didn't cut half out.

but here is what i said

He should be aware of other vehciles at junctions and be driving in a manner that he can anticipate "the carelessness of others"

If you feel this is wrong please inform your institute of advanced motorist, all the insurance companies and the dept. of transport.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:32 PM
No shit, vid.

Point is that they are both at fault, Duffman believes the other chap to be more culpable than he is - and is taking responsibility for events by trying to assert that view.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:34 PM
You mean like what you did here (http://www.filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showpost.php?p=1244882&postcount=39).

Surely you're not calling the kettle black, mr pot :smilie4: WTF are you talking about. I read his entire post and didn't cut half out.Click the link.

You edited out vast swathes of my post, just like Dan did with yours.

Or is it okay for you to do it, just not other people.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:38 PM
WTF are you talking about. I read his entire post and didn't cut half out.Click the link.

No i just answered your question..."how can i tell he is responsible" the fact that i didn't need to quote the rest of your post to answer that is nothing like just quoting certain word of a complete sentence.

Duffman
01-25-2006, 06:40 PM
Ladies ladies, the real problem here, I have to walk, or fix the radiator which is hard, its under my intake.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:42 PM
No shit, vid.

Point is that they are both at fault, Duffman believes the other chap to be more culpable than he is - and is taking responsibility for events by trying to assert that view.

And I am basing my view on the account of the events that he gave.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:48 PM
Click the link.

No i just answered your question..."how can i tell he is responsible" the fact that i didn't need to quote the rest of your post to answer that is nothing like just quoting certain word of a complete sentence.I wasn't asking a question. I was stating that you can't tell he is responsible and backed that up with reasons, yet you edited them out.

I was quite subtle with my use of English (using the second person perspective, rather than 'one') but the lack of a question mark shold have indicated my purpose. My bad for not being more explicit, I guess.

I don't really mind you doing that, it didn't detract from my point as I simply reiterated it.

I did, however, think it a bit rich that you call foul when someone else does the same thing.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:51 PM
No shit, vid.

And I am basing my view on the account of the events that he gave.So despite him being sure that the other person was more at fault, despite a traffic cop being sure that the other person was more at fault. You'd advise him to hold his hands up and say that he will take the insurance hit.

Are you mental.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:55 PM
And I am basing my view on the account of the events that he gave.So despite him being sure that the other person was more at fault, despite a traffic cop being sure that the other person was more at fault. You'd advise him to hold his hands up and say that he will take the insurance hit.

Are you mental.

He will take a hit no matter what level of fault unless he had no fault, which I do not see....do you?

vidcc
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
No i just answered your question..."how can i tell he is responsible" the fact that i didn't need to quote the rest of your post to answer that is nothing like just quoting certain word of a complete sentence.I wasn't asking a question. I was stating that you can't tell he is responsible and backed that up with reasons, yet you edited them out.

I was quite subtle with my use of English (using the second person perspective, rather than 'one') but the lack of a question mark shold have indicated my purpose. My bad for not being more explicit, I guess.

I don't really mind you doing that, it didn't detract from my point as I simply reiterated it.

I did, however, think it a bit rich that you call foul when someone else does the same thing.
bollocks

Virtualbody1234
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
I think the law of NY states that if you hit someone in the rear you're responsible.

That's why we hear about people slamming on their brakes to get rear ended and then claim that they are injured. Scam.

manker
01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I wasn't asking a question. I was stating that you can't tell he is responsible and backed that up with reasons, yet you edited them out.

bollocksWell thought out.

Cya then, vid :wave:

vidcc
01-25-2006, 07:02 PM
bollocksWell thought out.

All it deserved, and I'm not even sure if it deserved that much

manker
01-25-2006, 07:03 PM
Well thought out.

All it deserved, and I'm not even sure if it deserved that muchYou're not sure?

Want me to dumb it down.

vidcc
01-25-2006, 07:08 PM

No point telling him to take responsibility for the accident if he wasn't actually to blame. That's just silly.

By his account of events

Happy now ? :rolleyes:

manker
01-25-2006, 07:12 PM

By his account of events

Happy now ? :rolleyes:That's just great. Honestly.

Makes it even more special because I've just written that I didn't mind at all that you edited parts of my post out since I reiterated them later, I just thought it rich you moaned when someone did it to you.

DanB
01-25-2006, 07:41 PM

How about you put the entire sentence instead of taking a couple of words

Was the context of the sentence not the same though, that he should anticipate the carelessness of others ? :unsure:

Duffman
01-27-2006, 06:03 PM
Alright a bit of good news for the cause, my dad who originall cursed my name and told me it was all my fault drove by the intersection, and completley changed his view, which seems to be the case for everyone that sees it in person. So im gonna go take some pics of it. And if anyone wants the satelite images or pics of the damage let me know via PM.

Also anyone with knowledge of US/NY traffic laws that can help please let me know via PM too. Thanks.

Gripper
01-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Alright a bit of good news for the cause, my dad who originall cursed my name and told me it was all my fault drove by the intersection, and completley changed his view, which seems to be the case for everyone that sees it in person. So im gonna go take some pics of it. And if anyone wants the satelite images or pics of the damage let me know via PM.

Also anyone with knowledge of US/NY traffic laws that can help please let me know via PM too. Thanks.
I've no idea of US law,but good luck with it,I'm convinced you think you're in the right.:01:
So I hope ya get to claim off the old dude:w00t:

Duffman
01-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Even my dad who is the most straigh shooter ever, cursed me out when I told him, drove by the scene and appologized and said I have a case, I just hope the judge doesn't take my age into account...