PDA

View Full Version : New Comp SATA-IDE Question

S!X
01-26-2006, 05:37 AM
Im getting a new comp tomorrow and am wondering how am I gonna transfter my music collection and misc files to the new hd, its a SATA and my current is a IDE... will it be able to hookup? Just makin sure cuz ive never done this stuff before. :blink:

lynx
01-26-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure your new pc will have IDE ports, so connecting your old drive in your new pc won't be a problem, just make sure the system won't try to boot from your old drive (if it is currently your system drive).

If you are thinking of trying it the other way round you may need drivers on your old system, far too complicated.

In any case, if you haven't got a hub/switch (or a router with one built in) why not simply get a network cross-over cable. That way you can copy them across the network without any problems.

S!X
01-27-2006, 02:03 AM
K, this comp cant take IDE drives on sata's from what I understand in the manual (its an HP media center) so what would be the next best solution? :(

clocker
01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
So your motherboard has no IDE headers at all?
There are IDE to SATA converters available (Serillel or somefing...used to come bundled with NF-7 boards, I've got two at least) that will allow hooking your old drive drive to a SATA port.

lynx
01-27-2006, 01:46 PM
All Media Center PCs have or offer LightScribe burners.
HP Lightscribe burners can operate on a P3 system, and there are no P3 systems which offer SATA so they must have IDE connections. AFAIK this is also true of their standard CD and DVD offerings.

Consequently there must be some sort of IDE connection, even if it means unplugging your optical drive while you copy your data across.

I think I already told you the easiest alternative.

S!X
01-27-2006, 03:34 PM
Yup this badboy has a lightscribe, I cant really see what is available on the mobo cuz the case is som jampacked, theres like room for air in this thing. I'll have to read the manuals more and see what they say, then I'll get back to you guys.

clocker
01-27-2006, 04:24 PM
My breath is bated.

tesco
01-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Yup this badboy has a lightscribe, I cant really see what is available on the mobo cuz the case is som jampacked, theres like room for air in this thing. I'll have to read the manuals more and see what they say, then I'll get back to you guys.
Just unhook some cables to get them out of your way until you can see.:unsure:

S!X
01-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Just unhook some cables to get them out of your way until you can see.:unsure:

I cant even get to em :lookaroun its so packed.

clocker
01-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I cant even get to em :lookaroun its so packed.
You're supposed to eat all the sardines.
They are just there to protect things during shipping.

S!X
01-27-2006, 11:06 PM

I dont eat sardines.

Virtualbody1234
01-27-2006, 11:35 PM

I dont eat sardines.
See. That's the problem. :lol:

By the way... What was wrong with the second solution posted by lynx?

I think I already told you the easiest alternative.
I swear... People don't read anymore.

S!X
01-28-2006, 12:30 AM
I do have a router but its a bastard to setup, cant seem to get it right.... I really dont feel like dickin around with this comp, what I mean by that is like taking it apart and whatnot.

Virtualbody1234
01-28-2006, 01:23 AM
You shouldn't have to setup anything in the router. Just connect the 2 PCs and setup the network in both computers.

S!X
01-28-2006, 01:39 AM
You shouldn't have to setup anything in the router. Just connect the 2 PCs and setup the network in both computers.

Will it be as fast as hooking up the HD to the new comp? Transfer speed wise.:blink:

Virtualbody1234
01-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Who cares. It would take a hell of a lot less time than has been spent on this topic already.

S!X
01-28-2006, 05:37 AM
Who cares. It would take a hell of a lot less time than has been spent on this topic already.

Heh, I did it the hard way:dry:

clocker
01-28-2006, 01:48 PM

Don't tell us you used floppies to transfer the files....

S!X
01-28-2006, 06:10 PM
Don't tell us you used floppies to transfer the files....

lol... this thing doesnt have a floppy drive:rolleyes:

Virtualbody1234
01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
So why don't you tell us what hard way you did it?

S!X
01-28-2006, 10:55 PM
So why don't you tell us what hard way you did it?

Fine, I had to dismantle both computers and put the hd from the POS to the good one, copy the files, take it out put it back in the POS and put both comps back together.:ph34r: :lookaroun

clocker
01-28-2006, 11:20 PM
That's exactly how I would have done it.

Oh, that's right....these days my drives are hardly ever in a case....

shazzar
02-12-2006, 07:50 PM
You can do what i did and connect the hard drive to the ide connection on you new pc ( ie the rom connections), will show up as another drive. Probably the easiest way to transfer, since ive tried networking and its a real hassle if your a novice.

S!X
02-12-2006, 08:22 PM
You can do what i did and connect the hard drive to the ide connection on you new pc ( ie the rom connections), will show up as another drive.

Thats what I did.