PDA

View Full Version : norton antivirus

kop7
01-27-2006, 09:49 PM
this was pre installed on my sister inlaws pc trial version (3 months) i'm now trying to remove it .......its norton 2003 got a removal tool but still there..in the bottom right hand corner with a red cross through it.......was deleted but folder is in program files and cant delete it......how do you get shot of this.....please !

cashvillecrush
01-27-2006, 09:59 PM
use that windows program....i think its called windows tune up 2006

kop7
01-27-2006, 10:08 PM
i'll look for that

Izagaia
01-28-2006, 01:17 AM
Use the windows TaskManager to kill any processes involving "Symantec" or "Norton". You will need to delete all references to NAV as well. Search the registry for any references involving the terms "symantec", "liveupdate" and "norton". Then remove them. Most likely there are also folders within C:\Documents amd Settings\[UserName]\Symantec\...

You will, most likely, need to reboot that PC afterwards.

fkdup74
01-28-2006, 01:26 AM
Use the windows TaskManager to kill any processes involving "Symantec" or "Norton". You will need to delete all references to NAV as well. Search the registry for any references involving the terms "symantec", "liveupdate" and "norton". Then remove them. Most likely there are also folders within C:\Documents amd Settings\[UserName]\Symantec\...

You will, most likely, need to reboot that PC afterwards.

think I've seen leftovers in the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\ " as well
I had Norton '03 before, it was a pain in the ass to remove :sick:

zaphodiv
01-28-2006, 06:33 PM
These sort of program usually get loaded at startby by a registry key in

hkey_local_machine/software/microsoft/windows/currentversion/run

You can use regedit to delete the key.

vampiro
01-28-2006, 06:39 PM
try this

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

tool to remove everything to do with norton

zaphodiv
01-28-2006, 08:25 PM
Incidentally, along with a lot of other people I'm really unimpressed with the quality of symantec software these days.

They reccently bought and killed sygate personal firewall, which says to me that norton internet security could not compete on quality.