PDA

View Full Version : I'm Just Trying to be a Better Person.

manker
01-28-2006, 02:53 PM
A while ago, the cistern pipe of the toilet in work broke and leaked thro' the ceiling onto a pile of old boxes which contained some broken computer parts and a an obsolete PC.

I thought the ceiling was fecked, so called out a builder and started to make an insurance claim. However, the builder dicked about keeping me waiting and the ceiling dried out such that it only needed a bit of paint to make everything okay. My Mam did it for me one weekend. However, the insurance bloke said I could claim for the computers (old for new) and get two new basic computers complete with monitors.

I didn't bother. Those computer parts were already in the basement when I moved into this office and my old 486 was just waiting to be thrown away.

I did something else too and got a tin of biscuits as my karma reward - but I can't be arsed to type about it.

Has anyone else had a 'My Name is Earl' moment?

Proper Bo
01-28-2006, 03:03 PM
i laughed at a post by effy/gripper and someone shot my mother:mellow:

Gripper
01-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Every time I've something nice for peep's I just get shit on,still you keep trying :)

Busyman
01-28-2006, 06:56 PM
A while ago, the cistern pipe of the toilet in work broke and leaked thro' the ceiling onto a pile of old boxes which contained some broken computer parts and a an obsolete PC.

I thought the ceiling was fecked, so called out a builder and started to make an insurance claim. However, the builder dicked about keeping me waiting and the ceiling dried out such that it only needed a bit of paint to make everything okay. My Mam did it for me one weekend. However, the insurance bloke said I could claim for the computers (old for new) and get two new basic computers complete with monitors.

I didn't bother. Those computer parts were already in the basement when I moved into this office and my old 486 was just waiting to be thrown away.

I did something else too and got a tin of biscuits as my karma reward - but I can't be arsed to type about it.

You believe in karma?:huh:

Gripper
01-28-2006, 06:57 PM

You believe in karma?:huh:

Don't you???

manker
01-28-2006, 06:59 PM

You believe in karma?:huh:Of course.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:02 PM
You believe in karma?:huh:Of course.
Why "of course"?

You believe 2 disparate events are linked....and not just linked but involve punishment/reward yet you don't believe in a god.

That's a little weird.

manker
01-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Of course.
Why "of course"?

You believe 2 disparate events are linked....and not just linked but involve punishment/reward yet you don't believe in a god.

That's a little weird.I believe that if I'm nice to people, people will be nice back. If I'm honest about everything, people will be more honest with me.

That's why I said 'of course'.

I don't have to believe the Miriam Webster version of karma, Google boi.

Gripper
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM
What has Karma to do with God?
It is a Hindu/Budist concept.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Why "of course"?

That's a little weird.I believe that if I'm nice to people, people will be nice back. If I'm honest about everything, people will be more honest with me.

I didn't Google, boi. You must have.:mellow:

Do you believe that if you are honest to person A that person W will be honest with you?

I mean I get the "I was nice to person A, person A will be nice back." I'm talking person A/W that have nothing to do with each other.

Gripper
01-28-2006, 07:21 PM
I believe that if I'm nice to people, people will be nice back. If I'm honest about everything, people will be more honest with me.

Do you believe that if you are honest to person A that person W will be honest with you?

I mean I get the "I was nice to person A, person A will be nice back." I'm talking person A/W that have nothing to do with each other.
Do you not believe in anything that you can't see or prove...faith mate,faith

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:28 PM

Do you not believe in anything that you can't see or prove...faith mate,faith
Absolutely.

ziggyjuarez
01-28-2006, 07:30 PM
Absolutely not
Why?Dont you know science cant prove everything?Atleast not at this point in time.It's more psychological then anything else.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
Absolutely not
Why?Dont you know science cant prove everything?Atleast not at this point in time.It's more physiological then anything else.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You should address that to the numerous atheists on the board.

Physiological?:lol: :lol: :lol:

ziggyjuarez
01-28-2006, 07:33 PM
Why?Dont you know science cant prove everything?Atleast not at this point in time.It's more physiological then anything else.

Edited typo.Im an atheist myself.Doesnt mean i have to beleve in god.Theres faith and then theres blind faith.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 07:44 PM

Edited typo.Im an atheist myself.Doesnt mean i have to beleve in god.Theres faith and then theres blind faith.
Ok then.

I hear this scenario all the time where some fella knocked someone over the head and took his money.

A year later a piano drops on head and he dies.

And then "Seeeee, that shit came back on him from when he stole that money.":ermm:

Here's another..What if the guy never stole money?

Answer: Well the piano probably dropped on his head for some other shit he did.

:dabs:

I guess even in the absence of belief in God we humans will find comfort in something.

manker
01-28-2006, 07:48 PM
I believe that if I'm nice to people, people will be nice back. If I'm honest about everything, people will be more honest with me.

I was rodding you because you hate being pulled up about googling.

As for being nice to person A correlating with person W being nice back to you - well, provided person A isn't a deaf, blind mute; good word spreads just as quickly as bad. They don't have to be connected to each other - just by proxy.

Being good to people as a general principle means that it's more likely that people are going to do good stuff back to you - not a guarentee or anything but it's better than the alternative. I call that karma.

Other people might call it something else, I duno.

ziggyjuarez
01-28-2006, 07:53 PM
I hear this scenario
Are you talking about people in gereral:unsure:
Because i dont relate to what your saying.I think the piano fell on him because a piano fell on him:unsure:

Busyman
01-28-2006, 08:00 PM

As for being nice to person A correlating with person W being nice back to you - well, provided person A isn't a deaf, blind mute; good word spreads just as quickly as bad. They don't have to be connected to each other - just by proxy.

Being good to people as a general principle means that it's more likely that people are going to do good stuff back to you - not a guarentee or anything but it's better than the alternative. I call that karma.

It's word of mouth.

It's what made me see The Sixth Sense when I previously wouldn't have.

It also helps businesses and stuff.

I'm nice to people just because. If I help someone I'd do it with the comfort of no one else finding out about it.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 08:06 PM
I hear this scenario
Because i dont relate to what your saying.I think the piano fell on him because a piano fell on him:unsure:
I had this debate with some folks at work.

It's a common saying, "What goes around come around."

I believe, "Not necessarily."

manker's belief is actually sensible. It's how some businesses do well. It's a direct correlation.

Some people make a correlation between 2 disparate events. They never link in any way besides the fact of the bad/good deed done and the perceived reward/punishment. This is what I disagree with.

manker
01-28-2006, 08:07 PM

It's word of mouth.

It's what made me see The Sixth Sense when I previously wouldn't have.

It also helps businesses and stuff.

I'm nice to people just because. If I help someone I'd do it with the comfort of no one else finding out about it.:lol: Word of mouth you say, what a revelation!

Thanks, I thought it was magic.

ziggyjuarez
01-28-2006, 08:09 PM
I had this debate with some folks at work.

It's a common saying, "What goes around come around."

I believe, "Not necessarily."

manker's belief is actually sensible. It's how some businesses do well. It's a direct correlation.

Some people make a correlation between 2 disparate events. They never link in any way besides the fact of the bad/good deed done and the perceived reward/punishment. This is what I disagree with.
Face2Face yeah.But pianos dont count.Thats why i said it was psychological :dabs:

Blythorama
01-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Being good to people as a general principle means that it's more likely that people are going to do good stuff back to you - not a guarantee or anything but it's better than the alternative. I call that karma.

Each and every time we interact with another person, we have a choice about how to treat them. If you choose to interact nicely, people are more likely to respond in kind. If you choose NOT to be nice, you will find people respond in a similar displeasing manner. Not many people will be nice to you after you treat them badly. However, in my experience, if someone is nice to me after I've been horrible, it makes me think about what I am doing, feel bad for baing a cow, and behave nicely. Sounds a bit karmic to me.

Also, if you are a nice person and someone responds evily, at least you've the satisfaction of knowing you have tried to be the best person you can be.

ziggyjuarez
01-28-2006, 08:13 PM
stop talking to your self mang.

Busyman
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Being good to people as a general principle means that it's more likely that people are going to do good stuff back to you - not a guarantee or anything but it's better than the alternative. I call that karma.

Each and every time we interact with another person, we have a choice about how to treat them. If you choose to interact nicely, people are more likely to respond in kind. If you choose NOT to be nice, you will find people respond in a similar displeasing manner. Not many people will be nice to you after you treat them badly. However, in my experience, if someone is nice to me after I've been horrible, it makes me think about what I am doing, feel bad for baing a cow, and behave nicely. Sounds a bit karmic to me.

Also, if you are a nice person and someone responds evily, at least you've the satisfaction of knowing you have tried to be the best person you can be.
You call it karma. I call it basic psychology. :dabs:

Call me an asshole, I just might call you a bitch.

Nothing outlandish there.

Blythorama
01-28-2006, 08:23 PM

You can call it what you want. It's just semantics.

I wouldn't call you an asshole. I might however call you an arsehole.

JPaul
01-28-2006, 08:32 PM
I believe in the interconnectedness of all things. That we are part of a universal whole, not separate from it but living within it.

Karma however is just pish and coincidence.

GepperRankins
01-28-2006, 10:37 PM
my boss made me clean the toilets and they exploded :smilie4:

JPaul
01-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Were you badly injured, The.

maebach
01-28-2006, 10:43 PM

I have to believe in Karma :lookaroun

:01: ?

JPaul
01-28-2006, 10:48 PM

Coz if you don't, bad things will happen

GepperRankins
01-28-2006, 10:51 PM
no, but the shop next door closed down for the day :snooty:

JPaul
01-28-2006, 11:00 PM
As some sort of tribute to your lucky escape, obviousement.

GepperRankins
01-28-2006, 11:06 PM
or because it flooded with derty water :unsure:

JPaul
01-28-2006, 11:16 PM
or because it flooded with derty water :unsure:
I prefer to think it was the former.

Busyman
01-29-2006, 12:05 AM

You can call it what you want. It's just semantics.

I wouldn't call you an asshole. I might however call you an arsehole.
Good point.

Well presented.

maebach
01-29-2006, 05:00 AM

If I dont, then it's like betraying what our culture believes in.

JPaul
01-29-2006, 10:48 AM

So people from Canadia believe in karma. I didn't know that.

Guillaume
01-29-2006, 11:59 AM
So people from Canadia believe in karma. I didn't know that.
One wonders what they have done to be stuck there.

manker
01-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I hear all contemporary Canadians lived in a depraved, debauched, decadent and debased way in at least three out of their last four incarnations.

To redress the karmic balance, they've been assigned to Canadia this time :dabs:

j2k4
01-29-2006, 02:28 PM
I hear all contemporary Canadians lived in a depraved, debauched, decadent and debased way in at least three out of their last four incarnations.

To redress the karmic balance, they've been assigned to Canadia this time :dabs:

All of this will be reviewed by the new administration. ;)

So I've heard.

manker
01-29-2006, 02:39 PM
I am reliably informed that Buddha is being lobbied by dejected Canadian politicians as we speak.

j2k4
01-29-2006, 04:08 PM
I am reliably informed that Buddha is being lobbied by dejected Canadian politicians as we speak.

I am just as reliably informed Buddha has his hands full, and recommends the politicians make their peace with the people, who have spoken. :D

JPaul
01-29-2006, 05:06 PM
News just in.

Reply form Buddha

"Nyah, Whatever"

j2k4
01-29-2006, 05:22 PM
News just in.

Reply form Buddha

"Nyah, Whatever"

See? :lol:

JPaul
01-29-2006, 05:31 PM
News just in.

Reply form Buddha

"Nyah, Whatever"

See? :lol:
I'm not sure which form she used tho':blink:

Snee
01-29-2006, 11:37 PM
So, anyway, I robbed some old lady the other day.

It was fooking sweet. I only did it 'cos she was a wicked mentalist, so it was karma right there.

manker
01-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Is that a really, really good mentalist, a really, really bad mentalist or an evil mentalist :unsure:

Snee
01-29-2006, 11:41 PM
All of the above :dabs:

manker
01-29-2006, 11:42 PM
I see.

Kinda like The Brain from popular cartoon series Pinkie and The Brain :sage:

Snee
01-29-2006, 11:49 PM
I wish she was more like brain. 'cos at least I'm sure he has one.

j2k4
01-30-2006, 11:14 AM

It was fooking sweet. I only did it 'cos she was a wicked mentalist, so it was karma right there.

Always wanted to do that...:huh:

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Wonder what the karma suffrage is for nicking microwaves?

Basement banishment following knee surgery? :unsure:

Busyman
01-30-2006, 12:21 PM
Wonder what the karma suffrage is for nicking microwaves?

Basement banishment following knee surgery? :unsure:
Hmmm...

Refrigerator
Microwave
Videogames
Movies
HDTV
Surround sound

Banish me.:w00t:

Maybe basements over your way are dungeons fulla chains and torture machines or something.:unsure:

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 12:23 PM
Maybe basements over your way are dungeons fulla chains and torture machines or something.:unsure:

Only the better ones... :happy:

Busyman
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM

...for finding out if your neighbor stole your microwave, no doubt. :torture:

Oh he'll talk. :devil:

DorisInsinuate
01-30-2006, 01:11 PM

:gimp:

Busyman
01-30-2006, 01:13 PM
:gimp:

"Better go get the gimp."

Snee
01-30-2006, 01:19 PM

Always wanted to do that...:huh:
Therea funny story behind it. I prolly shouldn't tell it :ph34r: