PDA

View Full Version : 'Thank You' Hack is Back

tesco
01-30-2006, 03:36 AM
The Thank You hack has been re-enabled, but not as it was before.

For those that don't know what the 'Thank You hack' is, it's a peice of code installed in the NZB section that makes it so leechers must post in a thread (with a thank you) before they can download the NZB within it.

There are some new rules for the hack now:

In threads less than 48 hours old, Thank You's are required from everyone before being able to grab an NZB
A leecher (see next point) must post a Thank You in any thread before they are able to grab the NZB
Those labelled as leechers are those with an NZB Grab:Post ratio greater than 20:1. (for every 20 grabs you make, 1 NZB should be posted).

Also, the bug that stopped members with zero posts from grabbing NZB files is now fixed. :) (They'll be taken to the posting page).

MultiForce
01-31-2006, 09:50 AM
Sounds nice. Maybe we get more NZB posts :D

4play
01-31-2006, 06:40 PM
what sort of nzb's are we looking for?

do you just want people to post say every movie or tv show that appears in alt.bin.divx or alt.bin.tv ?

tesco
01-31-2006, 08:01 PM

do you just want people to post say every movie or tv show that appears in alt.bin.divx or alt.bin.tv ?
Nono, preferably you should download the file first to make sure it's real, and works.
I guess stuff from big groups like reloaded doesn't need to be tested, it should work.

RealitY
01-31-2006, 08:02 PM
The Thank You hack has been re-enabled, but not as it was before.

For those that don't know what the 'Thank You hack' is, it's a peice of code installed in the NZB section that makes it so leechers must post in a thread (with a thank you) before they can download the NZB within it.

In threads less than 48 hours old, Thank You's are required from everyone before being able to grab an NZB
A leecher (see next point) must post a Thank You in any thread before they are able to grab the NZB
Those labelled as leechers are those with an NZB Grab:Post ratio greater than 20:1. (for every 20 grabs you make, 1 NZB should be posted).

Very nice...

:) :)

MultiForce
01-31-2006, 08:35 PM

Nono, preferably you should download the file first to make sure it's real, and works.
I guess stuff from big groups like reloaded doesn't need to be tested, it should work.

And when it comes to pc games for example there are MANY games that never gets it here so it would be nice to have this place somewhat more "reliable" when it comes to getting new stuff etc. if you know what I mean.
I think this forum is very good and easy to use, so it just needs a bit more content really. We have good admins and users so I think this place will be better and better over time.

When it comes to the tv series, maybe it is possible to upload several NZB's in on post or something so that we can have one for Stargate and one for Joey etc?

RealitY
01-31-2006, 08:52 PM
And when it comes to pc games for example there are MANY games that never gets it here so it would be nice to have this place somewhat more "reliable" when it comes to getting new stuff etc. if you know what I mean.
I think this forum is very good and easy to use, so it just needs a bit more content really. We have good admins and users so I think this place will be better and better over time.
We currently have a small team of FST NZB Posters and would like to have more for those that are interested though established members preferably. Of course anyone is more than welcome to post something that hasnt been already as the more input the more growth for the section.

When it comes to the tv series, maybe it is possible to upload several NZB's in on post or something so that we can have one for Stargate and one for Joey etc?
Currently when an ep is posted it is then merged to the main post by those that are on the team as they have the abilty to merge posts and delete duplicates as well. For now that seems to work and if you notice that something like this dosent get done you can pm any of the FST NZB Posters or Moderators to let them know...

Damnatory
01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks Rossco, cool idea on the Thanks hack. Actually, I never even knew it was disabled. :ph34r:

Currently when an ep is posted it is then merged to the main post by those that are on the team as they have the abilty to merge posts and delete duplicates as well. For now that seems to work and if you notice that something like this dosent get done you can pm any of the FST NZB Posters or Moderators to let them know...

Yeah I've noticed a few episodes posted lately that could be added to a running TV Episode thread, but some of the threads that have these older episodes in them are really old. I wouldn't want to add a new TV EP to a thread that has like 8 expired NZB's. Maybe in threads like this, I should remove NZB's that are too old, just to cut down on the 1 post noobs that are like "I downloaded this NZB and it download a whole bunch of text files". Would certainly save a lot threads that chalk up to retention problems. :unsure:

tesco
01-31-2006, 11:03 PM
Yeah I've noticed a few episodes posted lately that could be added to a running TV Episode thread, but some of the threads that have these older episodes in them are really old. I wouldn't want to add a new TV EP to a thread that has like 8 expired NZB's. Maybe in threads like this, I should remove NZB's that are too old, just to cut down on the 1 post noobs that are like "I downloaded this NZB and it download a whole bunch of text files". Would certainly save a lot threads that chalk up to retention problems. :unsure:
Files older than 50 days are now removed (this started a few weeks ago) from the server, when someone goes to download one of these removed files they get an error saying the file's been removed already.

4play
01-31-2006, 11:37 PM
how about adding it so you cant bump a thread once its over a certain age. Its caught me out a few times already.

The dave chappel dvd thats months old that just got bumped for instance.

Damnatory
02-01-2006, 04:32 AM
how about adding it so you cant bump a thread once its over a certain age. Its caught me out a few times already.

The dave chappel dvd thats months old that just got bumped for instance.
If that was enabled, then if we added a new episode to that thread it would be on like page 4 or 5 rather than being bumped for a new episode.

There is a small work-around that Rossco made for that reason, there is a link at the top of the forum list that allows you to sort by "Thread Start Date" rather than by last post. This helps me alot for posting, as well as I think it will help you out alot for that problem as well.

Athlon64
02-01-2006, 04:45 AM
As one of the NZB posters I really like the improved thank you hack. Great work!

As for the games section I'll be posting a lot more stuff soon, mostly RELOADED and DEViANCE releases as there the only two groups you can really trust right now. Personaly the only reason I don't post much in that section is because it's really hard to find some nice cover art. I have this thing of posting nice cover art in movies, many know what I mean. :) Amazon is good somtimes but they sometimes f-up the pictures really bad so that puts me off. Expect at least 12 news games coming soon to the games section from yours truely soon.

tesco
02-01-2006, 05:24 AM
There is a small work-around that Rossco made for that reason, there is a link at the top of the forum list that allows you to sort by "Thread Start Date" rather than by last post. This helps me alot for posting, as well as I think it will help you out alot for that problem as well.
That's exactly what I was going to say he should use.

Also, a new feature I added last night for all future NZB posts is they will show the age of the post right in the threads list to the right of the title/subject so you know how old it is before you even go into the thread. :)

RealitY
02-01-2006, 06:03 AM
Would add that rossco is also working on a Latest NZB page that would show all the most recent posts from all nab sections on one page so that those that want a quick view of the latest can. Im tempted to show it to you although being that its unfinished as of yet will let rossco unviel it when hes ready...

tesco
02-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Would add that rossco is also working on a Latest NZB page that would show all the most recent posts from all nab sections on one page so that those that want a quick view of the latest can. Im tempted to show it to you although being that its unfinished as of yet will let rossco unviel it when hes ready...

I dont want to show it until it's done.

Basically, it will add all the half-working features from the nzb section to one 100% perfect page, looking a lot like binsearch, but leaving the forum aspect in it as well. :D

Athlon64
02-01-2006, 06:49 AM
This vBulletin forum sure is heavily modified. lol. :)

Can't wait to see that page rossco! :)

RealitY
02-01-2006, 08:07 AM

Was thinking of few tweaks on this perhaps

Those with NZB Grab:Post ratio greater than 10:1. will NOT be required to post a Thank You in threads.
Those with NZB Grab:Post ratio greater than 20:1. only need to post in threads less than 24 hours old.
Those with NZB Grab:Post ratio less than 20:1 only need to post in threads less than 48 hours old.
Threads older than 48 hours will not require any Thank You posts.

OR something simpler possibly

Those with NZB Grab:Post ratio greater than 10:1. will NOT be required to post in threads.
Those with NZB Grab:Post ratio less than 10:1 MUST post a Thank You in all threads.
(Could be limited to ONLY threads less than 48 hours and none needed beyond that)

This may create a little more insentive to post NZB hopefully.
Would think no need in anyone having to post in threads beyond 48 hours...

untraceable2
03-02-2006, 07:17 AM
i love the idea of the thank you hack depending on your stats but i've notice that if you post an nzb in an excisting thread like i do with the tv episodes it doesn't count on your stats ( well it didn't when i did it just now).

Chewie
03-02-2006, 04:51 PM
I think it only counts when you use the submit form.
Perhaps people could use the form for episodes and trust a mod could merge threads?
Just a thought.

untraceable2
03-02-2006, 10:43 PM
I think it only counts when you use the submit form.
Perhaps people could use the form for episodes and trust a mod could merge threads?
Just a thought.

ok, if i remember i'll create a seperate thread and let you mod's merge them but it doesn't bother me as i post more than i grab.

tesco
03-02-2006, 11:14 PM
It still won't count it though.
There's just no real way to do that without a huge rewrite of the way the forum works.

RealitY
03-03-2006, 06:15 PM
Using the form and merging will work though you only need 0.10 in stats so if youve got that anyway its up to you...

tman40
03-14-2006, 06:41 AM
thank you worked

dajury
04-27-2006, 05:00 PM
thank you

james_bond_rulez
05-01-2006, 10:37 AM
thx!!!

Vip03
05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
thank you

MultiForce
05-03-2006, 12:03 AM
I'm starting to think that there is a NZB file in here somewhere :P

MultiForce
06-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Just a thought (yeah I know the thread are old): Wouldn't it be better to have a button that says "say thank you" or something and the next reply would make a list of all the people who click the button?
The reason I ask is that if one post more info or have a question about the release it drowns in all the thanks replies.

muchspl3
06-24-2006, 11:06 PM
testing

muchspl3
06-24-2006, 11:06 PM
thank you

muchspl3
06-24-2006, 11:07 PM
it works

macca22
09-19-2006, 12:05 AM
the bottom line is how does a noob like me improve his ratio as i like to contribute but am not sure how re NZBs is there a forum thread specific to the subject

Chewie
09-19-2006, 08:14 AM
there is at least one stickied thread detailing how to make nzbs most newsreaders now seem to have the capability it just depends which software you're using to download try highlighting posts and right-clicking to see what context menu options there are or check out the program's menus just one more thing why not try adding punctuation to your posts it makes them so much easier to read

RealitY
09-20-2006, 05:40 AM
Sites like Binsearch (http://www.binsearch.info/) can create NZB files or apps which can read about at...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=91764

WHiKWiRE
03-10-2007, 06:11 AM
Mind you this maybe an outdated thread but I must comment on the thank you hack.

It blows and should have never been implemente. I should't have to post and thank you to get an nzb. :naughty:

And I've been trying to keep up with any and every scene release.

P.S. - I've been peeved about the nzb file size limit. It makes it hard to upload HD-DVD's and even some regular DVD's. Could this be taken off at least for FST NZB POSTERS. :D

Skiz
03-10-2007, 07:42 AM
Mind you this maybe an outdated thread but I must comment on the thank you hack.

It blows and should have never been implemente. I should't have to post and thank you to get an nzb. :naughty:

P.S. - I've been peeved about the nzb file size limit. It makes it hard to upload HD-DVD's and even some regular DVD's. Could this be taken off at least for FST NZB POSTERS. :D

The idea is good, but the method needs work.

I hate having to scroll down, post "thanks", wait for page to load, click 1 to go back to first page, wait again, then download. :dabs:

How about a system like Supertorrents uses, where a button is pushed and a thanks is added?

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5655/untitled2it0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

MultiForce
03-10-2007, 02:21 PM

The idea is good, but the method needs work.

I hate having to scroll down, post "thanks", wait for page to load, click 1 to go back to first page, wait again, then download. :dabs:

How about a system like Supertorrents uses, where a button is pushed and a thanks is added?

http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/5655/untitled2it0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I PM'ed an admin a few weeks ago and asked for the same thing but it was too much work.
It also kills the ability to discuss or ask questions about a release when you have to have all those "thank you" posts.

WHiKWiRE
03-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Hopefully everyone caught the joke I was making about the Thank You Hack. I was speaking sarcasticly on the subject. The thank you hack makes no difference to a user like myself but MultiForce does bring up a good point.
It does kill the ability to discuss or ask questions about a release when you have to have all those "thank you" posts. I like to check on my posts to make sure none of the users are having problems with it but the thank you hack does make it difficult and time consuming.

Skiz
03-11-2007, 01:01 AM
Hopefully everyone caught the joke I was making about the Thank You Hack. I was speaking sarcasticly on the subject. The thank you hack makes no difference to a user like myself but MultiForce does bring up a good point.
It does kill the ability to discuss or ask questions about a release when you have to have all those "thank you" posts. I like to check on my posts to make sure none of the users are having problems with it but the thank you hack does make it difficult and time consuming.

I don't mean to dismiss being able to add commentary, I think it's vital that downloaders are able to do so. But look at the current system - Does anyone read the commentary like they do at a tracker? Of course not. I always read a bit of the commentary of a torrent to see if there are any problems with it, etc.

My suggestion was not to remove the comments in lieu of a different "thanks" hack, but to add it.

For example:

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2645/thanksbm4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

WHiKWiRE
03-11-2007, 01:57 AM
My suggestion was not to remove the comments in lieu of a different "thanks" hack, but to add it.

That sounds perfect to me. :D

Skiz
03-14-2007, 06:08 AM

That sounds perfect to me. :D

Get to it then. :whistling

RealitY
03-14-2007, 06:45 AM

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2645/thanksbm4.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
If rossco has the time this might be a nice rewrite. Might be simple to make the Thank You posts go into a field or something. Though it might be difficult also. Think if the posters really want this you should ask rossco if he could set some time to do it. Would also like an option where Thank You posts or clicks could be turned off at times...