PDA

View Full Version : boycotts of Danish goods in middle East!

Pages : [1] 2

BawA
01-30-2006, 12:32 PM
as some of you may know there is a boycotts of Danish goods in middle east from past few days because of a Danish news paper by making ridicules cartoon of Prophet Mohammad(pbuh), also few countries including sudia Arabia and labia withdraw their ambassadors from there, I want to point a view of mine.
http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20060130-052626-1117r

In the answer to why did this news paper made that cartoon they said it was to show the freedom of speech, I want to know what kind of freedom is that, even if that is stepping over our moral believes. To me it was very stupid comment that they were showing freedom of speech, they could go on political leaders but they had to make fun of religious matters. maybe to them religious matter is noting and they can make fun of Jesus as they regularly do(no offence meant, we believe in him and have huge respect for him, prophet Eesa is mentioned with respect in Quran) any time they want but that doesn’t work here, we don’t tolerate with those kind of things. The news paper site was destroyed by a hacker and was back last days and apologized in a way that "we got it wrong".
Denmark ambassador in Saudi Arabia said 100million damage was made overall middle east in few days cuz of boycotts, and now the foreign minister is waiting for an act by our governments for what is happening, I say how the feck they can blem us for whets happening, we deserve an apologies and they asking us for one.
These boycotts will continue even if Denmark government apologies so it could be a lesson for those who think they can go away with this kind of act.

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Did they used to sell alot of bacon in Muslim countries before this all happened then? :blink:

BawA
01-30-2006, 12:47 PM
dont know whats that but mostly dairy goods like puck cheese r being sold.

Busyman
01-30-2006, 01:16 PM
GTFOOH.

They don't boycott over there.

They behead.

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 01:18 PM
as some of you may know there is a boycotts of Danish goods in middle east from past few days because of a Danish news paper by making ridicules cartoon of Prophet Mohammad(pbuh), also few countries including sudia Arabia and labia withdraw their ambassadors from there, I want to point a view of mine.

Sorry, I know we're not supposed to laugh at people who's first language is not English, but do you mean Libya? :blink:

BawA
01-30-2006, 01:20 PM
GTFOOH.

They behead.
your the perfict example of what that person who made that cartoon belived.
if ur realy from zimbabwe u should know better then me what happens in ur own country.

BawA
01-30-2006, 01:23 PM

Sorry, I know we're not supposed to laugh at people who's first language is not English, but do you mean Libya? :blink:

yeh, feckin MSword changed the word when i was checking the spelling http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/images/icons/icon2.gif

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 01:25 PM
It's just that labia withdrawal means something completely different... :naughty:

EDIT: Sorry, let me try and be on-topic:

I sympathize with you if you are offended by cartoons of your religions founder, however this reminds me of the whole Salman Rushdie Fatwa thing, and I am sure there are other examples:

What is it about the Muslim faith that is so scared of criticizm?

I shouldn't single out Islam really, because fundamental Christianity has the same problem I think, especially in the US, but anyway, can't you rise above it and see the funny side?

Busyman
01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
GTFOOH.

They behead.
if ur realy from zimbabwe u should know better then me what happens in ur own country.
Oh gawd, I only draw on the numerous occasions where people over your way get offended and call for an execution. :salmon rushdie:

Of course they are boycotting Danish goods. Has anyone issued a fatwah yet?:dry:

BawA
01-30-2006, 01:57 PM
you know whats the diffrence between us and west, they dont belive in religious as much as we do, we do take certain thoughts from others about the religious belives offended but u guys dont, if u dont agree with something keep it to your self u dont need to make a book about it and anger a entire muslim world, majority is above one persons beliving.
u guys may dont take a bad word offensive about the bible but we do, what salman rushdie(cursing the quruan) did was crossing the line, if it wasnt wrong entire muslim wouldnt take it offensive just whats now happened in denmark.

vidcc
01-30-2006, 03:25 PM
Can you explain why religious beliefs have to be treated differently? Why is "freedom of speech" not to be respected but religious beliefs are ?

GepperRankins
01-30-2006, 03:54 PM
:pinch: i thought for a second that busyman actually got rodding.

all i can say is good luck with the boycottage :01:

maebach
01-30-2006, 03:55 PM
the simpsons always make fun of hinduism but I dont complain about it :blink:

I'll ass that I agree with you bawa, that religion is very important in the middle east. We stopped in dubai on teh way to india a few years ago and I remember seeing a huge mosque inside the airport.

GepperRankins
01-30-2006, 03:56 PM
ps. freedom of speech is pretty much the same as freedom of expression, no?

so if a muslim is offended, who is anyone to bitch if he chooses to buy food from a different country? all these guys are doing is expressing themselves in a, get this, peaceful manner :smilie4:

Barbarossa
01-30-2006, 04:29 PM
Presumably, all the kids in Arab countries have stopped playing with Lego as well. :mellow:

Snee
01-30-2006, 04:53 PM
GTFOOH.

They behead.
What, I thought you lived in dubai?

maebach
01-30-2006, 05:08 PM
What, I thought you lived in dubai?

hes talking to busy (busy's flag is zimbabwe's)

Cheese
01-30-2006, 05:38 PM
I'm boycotting American sports events after they mocked my country in the latest episode of Family Guy. So I shan't be watching the Superbasketball Universe World Series Megafinal on 5th Febuary.

maebach
01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
:lol: what about teh superbowl?

JPaul
01-30-2006, 08:33 PM
I'm boycotting American sports events after they mocked my country in the latest episode of Family Guy. So I shan't be watching the Superbasketball Universe World Series Megafinal on 5th Febuary.
Bet you watch the Royal Rumble (It's on Usenet already, btw)

GepperRankins
01-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Bet you watch the Royal Rumble (It's on Usenet already, btw)
but he's obviously not paying for it :smilie4:

Busyman
01-30-2006, 11:31 PM
you know whats the diffrence between us and west, they dont belive in religious as much as we do, we do take certain thoughts from others about the religious belives offended but u guys dont, if u dont agree with something keep it to your self u dont need to make a book about it and anger a entire muslim world, majority is above one persons beliving.
u guys may dont take a bad word offensive about the bible but we do, what salman rushdie(cursing the quruan) did was crossing the line, if it wasnt wrong entire muslim wouldnt take it offensive just whats now happened in denmark.
So Rushdie mustdie 'cause he called Mohammed a doodyhead.

It makes sense now.

And here I'm thinking I should defend myself and family during a break-in and you just get insulted and wanna break out the AKs.

Silly me.

manker
01-30-2006, 11:47 PM

It makes sense now.

And here I'm thinking I should defend myself and family during a break-in and you just get insulted and wanna break out the AKs.

Silly me.You're not comparing like for like.

As Bawa says, devout muslims think differently about religion. Allah is a part of their family, the most revered part of their life. Prayer is offered five times a day and religion is never out of their thoughts.

I think this is a clumsy analogy but if some guy wrote a bestseller that called my Mam a whore, I'd probably want to beat the crap out of him, maybe not kill him, but certainly ensure that I was seen to be standing up for my Mam's honour such that other people wouldn't be tempted into writing a similar book.

I don't condone the fatwah, but I can certainly understand the motives behind it.

Busyman
01-30-2006, 11:53 PM

It makes sense now.

Silly me.You're not comparing like for like.

As Bawa says, devout muslims think differently about religion. Allah is a part of their family, the most revered part of their life. Prayer is offered five times a day and religion is never out of their thoughts.

I think this is a clumsy analogy but if some guy wrote a bestseller that called my Mam a whore, I'd probably want to beat the crap out of him, maybe not kill him, but certainly ensure that I was seen to be standing up for my Mam's honour such that other people wouldn't be tempted into writing a similar book.

I don't condone the fatwah, but I can certainly understand the motives behind it.
The fatwah is what I'm talking about.:ermm: I know the motives.

manker
01-30-2006, 11:57 PM
Then what's with the glib comments.

'You get insulted and wanna break out the AK47s'.

It's hardly the same thing.

Busyman
01-31-2006, 12:03 AM

I view calling for the execution of another for an insult as going "too far".

manker
01-31-2006, 12:18 AM

I view calling for the execution of another for an insult as going "too far".Me too.

However, to insult a deity, who to millions of people is as real as our parents are to us, and who these same millions of people speak to with their intimate desires and dreams five times a day, is hardly the same as calling someone a 'doodyhead'.

I don't know why anyone would even make such a correlation.

Cheese
01-31-2006, 12:21 AM
I'm boycotting American sports events after they mocked my country in the latest episode of Family Guy. So I shan't be watching the Superbasketball Universe World Series Megafinal on 5th Febuary. Bet you watch the Royal Rumble (It's on Usenet already, btw)
Cheers, I will download it and watch it. But I shall only cheer for the Canadians and Mexicans.

Busyman
01-31-2006, 12:40 AM
I view calling for the execution of another for an insult as going "too far".Me too.

However, to insult a deity, who to millions of people is as real as our parents are to us, and who these same millions of people speak to with their intimate desires and dreams five times a day, is hardly the same as calling someone a 'doodyhead'.

I was trying not to be crass, for once.

I didn't know your whole focus was 'cause I said "doodyhead". :dabs:

ahctlucabbuS
01-31-2006, 12:41 AM
The latest is an Iraqi militant organization calling for all muslims to attack Danish and Norwegian targets (A christian magazine reprinted the pictures over here shortly after their original release).

While I agree with freedom of speech, and there was certainly nothing illegal about the pictures per se, I don't believe it to be the morally right thing to do.

maebach
01-31-2006, 12:52 AM
The latest is an Iraqi militant organization calling for all muslims to attack Danish and Norwegian targets (A christian magazine reprinted the pictures over here shortly after their original release).

While I agree with freedom of speech, and there was certainly nothing illegal about the pictures per se, I don't believe it to be the morally right thing to do.

I must agree. And we must not forget, the terrorist, who killed the dutch director (theo van Gogh) for making a film about islamic women being abused. wasn't taht freedom of speech/thought on van gogh's part?

@ cheese - candia pwns mexicans

JPaul
01-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Surely freedom of speech is an absolute, isn't that the point.

manker
01-31-2006, 12:53 AM
Me too.

It wasn't.

I mentioned it once, right at the end of the conversation.

Formula1
01-31-2006, 01:00 AM
http://www.upi.com/InternationalIntelligence/view.php?StoryID=20060130-052626-1117r

In the answer to why did this news paper made that cartoon they said it was to show the freedom of speech, I want to know what kind of freedom is that, even if that is stepping over our moral believes. To me it was very stupid comment that they were showing freedom of speech, they could go on political leaders but they had to make fun of religious matters. maybe to them religious matter is noting and they can make fun of Jesus as they regularly do(no offence meant, we believe in him and have huge respect for him, prophet Eesa is mentioned with respect in Quran) any time they want but that doesn’t work here, we don’t tolerate with those kind of things. The news paper site was destroyed by a hacker and was back last days and apologized in a way that "we got it wrong".
Denmark ambassador in Saudi Arabia said 100million damage was made overall middle east in few days cuz of boycotts, and now the foreign minister is waiting for an act by our governments for what is happening, I say how the feck they can blem us for whets happening, we deserve an apologies and they asking us for one.
These boycotts will continue even if Denmark government apologies so it could be a lesson for those who think they can go away with this kind of act.

Over here in the U.S. , there is a cartoon show called South Park. It made fun of Jesus and God , and there really wasnt an uproar, or in other words, it was never banned by the government or anyone. I'm not condoning the act the of Danish the newspaper.

ahctlucabbuS
01-31-2006, 01:05 AM

You can still question the motive/necessity to print those pictures, and if you view the incident as slandering can you justify it as morally right?

What is legal isn't necessarily right as I see it.

(Off to bed)

manker
01-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Over here in the U.S. , there is a cartoon show called South Park.:lol:

The guy lives in Dubai, rather than a cave, and has 3k posts on a filesharing forum, I'm pretty sure he's aware of South park.

Busyman
01-31-2006, 01:41 AM

It wasn't.

I mentioned it once, right at the end of the conversation.
Then what was it?

The motives of the Muslims were known quite obviously....so wtf?

manker
01-31-2006, 02:17 AM
Read my posts again.

If you can't do that, I can't be arsed.

GepperRankins
01-31-2006, 02:35 AM
ja, so it's fair to act offended.

by that i suppose it's also fair for us to call this whole thing silly :dabs:

Busyman
01-31-2006, 02:41 AM
Read my posts again.

If you can't do that, I can't be arsed.
"Busy you don't understand. You don't get it."

"Ok what is it then?"

"Oh never mind. :lol: The invalid doesn't doesn't get it."

Back and forth over the most mundane.:ermm:

Formula1
01-31-2006, 11:41 AM
This is a link to the drawings...
http://www.newspaperindex.com/blog/2005/12/10/un-to-investigate-jyllands-posten-racism/

ahctlucabbuS
01-31-2006, 02:15 PM
These are a link to the drawings...
http://www.newspaperindex.com/blog/2005/12/10/un-to-investigate-jyllands-posten-racism/

You just earned yourself a Fatwah... :unsure:

Snee
01-31-2006, 07:43 PM

Since I'm bored, here's why this is fucking stupid:

It wasn't denmark (or later on norway) that did it, it was one newspaper, and not one speaking for the danish governement, or the danish people.

They've got this thing called freedom of speech, where the government doesn't censor papers before they are published. Sure, it's prolly really stupid, and maybe hurtful, but it wasn't the work of the danish people. Yet you'd mess with their economy, and also that of norway, since the drawings were published there too.

It's not the entire danish people's fault, it's the idiots running the paper(s). And, last I checked it wasn't a paper intended for your market, fuck, I'd never have heard of this if it hadn't been for this idiocy, and compared to you I live next door.

So you are screwing with a couple of nations far away from you, over something a few people printed in one of their papers.

Kinda' makes me think of when other idiots blame all arabs for the actions of a few deranged terrorists.

Far as I'm concerned, those members of the danish people who had done nothing wrong here can blame you for any economical problems, if you stand by it, 'cos what you want to do is to mess with an entire people, of which not even one percent are guilty of this particular crime, and that's no more right than publishing the stuff in the first place.

JPaul
01-31-2006, 08:10 PM
ja, so it's fair to act offended.

by that i suppose it's also fair for us to call this whole thing silly :dabs:
Yes, yes indeed.

Busyman
01-31-2006, 09:50 PM

It wasn't denmark (or later on norway) that did it, it was one newspaper, and not one speaking for the danish governement, or the danish people.

They've got this thing called freedom of speech, where the government doesn't censor papers before they are published. Sure, it's prolly really stupid, and maybe hurtful, but it wasn't the work of the danish people. Yet you'd mess with their economy, and also that of norway, since the drawings were published there too.

It's not the entire danish people's fault, it's the idiots running the paper(s). And, last I checked it wasn't a paper intended for your market, fuck, I'd never have heard of this if it hadn't been for this idiocy, and compared to you I live next door.

So you are screwing with a couple of nations far away from you, over something a few people printed in one of their papers.

Kinda' makes me think of when other idiots blame all arabs for the actions of a few deranged terrorists.

Far as I'm concerned, those members of the danish people who had done nothing wrong here can blame you for any economical problems, if you stand by it, 'cos what you want to do is to mess with an entire people, of which not even one percent are guilty of this particular crime, and that's no more right than publishing the stuff in the first place.
Fucking beast of a post!!!:O

:01:

but, but, but it's their religion and, and, and they are, are, are really serious about it.

Danish people and Norwegians must die. :idunno:

j2k4
01-31-2006, 10:42 PM
but, but, but it's their religion and, and, and they are, are, are really serious about it.

Like that Van Gogh character? :huh:

Busyman
01-31-2006, 10:57 PM

:idunno:

Formula1
01-31-2006, 11:49 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/theo-van-gogh-film-director?method=6

j2k4
02-01-2006, 12:14 AM

Thank you very much. :)

Read, B.

Peerzy
02-01-2006, 12:53 AM
According to Bawa's thinking because some nutter from the middle east blew up the world trade centres then they all think it's good. So im gonna boycott everything to do with the middle east, an dinfact any country near them. They all want to blow me up :cry:

Bawa - there is such a think as freedom of speach. So because i say your a wanker that does not (<----read that part its important) mean that every British person thinks your a wanker, but if every british person knew you i'm sure they'd agree with me.

Busyman
02-01-2006, 12:55 AM

Read, B.
:dry: I know who Theo was, j2 and why he was killed. (and who doesn't?)

I was being sarcastic about folks dying. Jeez.

There's also a black Muslim lady that is part of the government in Amsterdam who needs protection 'cause she spoke out about how women are treated in Islam.

j2k4
02-01-2006, 12:59 AM

Read, B.
:dry: I know who Theo was, j2 and why he was killed. (and who doesn't?)

I was being sarcastic about folks dying. Jeez.

There's also a black Muslim lady that is part of the government in Amsterdam who needs protection 'cause she spoke out about how women are treated in Islam.

Sarcasm...oh, yeah!

I'm aware of the Muslim lady and won't require a link because I'm foregoing sarcasm. :P :P

BawA
02-01-2006, 05:12 AM

its our choice if we choose to stop a certin thing, isnt that a freedom of act?
now tell me how the fuck freedom of speech is fair to you but freedom of act is not.
we dont like to do this but when west's dont care about us and they dont listen to us we must goto this kind of alternative action's.
like france cencoring the right of a muslim laidy of wearing her hejab(scarf), how would u feel if hejab was compulsory here even to non muslims?
all am saying when justise can be made by peace we have alternative ways and its our choice to boyccotts some thing.

maebach
02-01-2006, 05:16 AM
But you cant generalise all of the west hating islam just because one paper published something.

Busyman
02-01-2006, 05:49 AM

now tell me how the fuck freedom of speech is fair to you but freedom of act is not.
we dont like to do this but when west's dont care about us and they dont listen to us we must goto this kind of alternative action's.
like france cencoring the right of a muslim laidy of wearing her hejab(scarf), how would u feel if hejab was compulsory here even to non muslims?
all am saying when justise can be made by peace we have alternative ways and its our choice to boyccotts some thing.
That's the fucking problem.

You just grouped entire nations based on what a newspaper published.

Then you issue fucking fatwahs based on the same shit.

So you not only boycott a nations goods based on a newspaper article, which although I find stupid, it's your right. You then make those folk targets for assassination.

Until you so-called Muslims change your stilted view then fuck off.

When I studied Islam way back, my uncle warned me about The Nation Of Islam and enlightened thinkers like yourself.

..and if the west has a stilted view of folks like yourself, blame 9-11. You have never had such a backlash in the modern era until then. You sympathize with terrorists.

You have an institution of hate. The most ubiquitous remark, "I don't condone 9-11 but I understand why they did it.":dry:

They are fucking idiots. They killed other Muslims that day.

Nice going.

Oh and for the record I don't hate Islam in the least.

BawA
02-01-2006, 05:51 AM
But you cant generalise all of the west hating islam just because one paper published something.

come on, talk to your self... most of west countries after 9/11 change thier point of view and actions againts islam world, which country didnt harden solutions for us?
a news paper always provides what one nation thinks cuz thier part of nation and the people who write it think as them and are not diffrent generaly.
didnt in denmark thing suddenly changed and there were attacks on muslims after killing the Van Gogh, wasnt that racism becuz one muslim guy killed him?

BawA
02-01-2006, 05:54 AM

So you not only boycott a nations goods based on a newspaper article, which although I find stupid, it's your right. You then make those folk targets for assassination.

When I studied Islam way back, my uncle warned me about The Nation Of Islam and enlightened thinkers like yourself.

..and if the west has a stilted view of folks like yourself, blame 9-11. You have never had such a backlash in the modern era until then. You sympathize with terrorists.

You have an institution of hate. The most ubiquitous remark, "I don't condone 9-11 but I understand why they did it.":dry:

Nice going.

Oh and for the record I don't hate Islam in the least.
where the fuck did u heared that there is a fatwa going on, nobody issued one to boyccot danish good, people did that by thier own belives, cuz our union in muslim world is strong atleast in religion matters.
make some research before u talk dont just go on "fatwah, fatwah", do u even know whats fatwah

Busyman
02-01-2006, 06:04 AM

come on, talk to your self... most of west countries after 9/11 change thier point of view and actions againts islam world, which country didnt harden solutions for us?
a news paper always provides what one nation thinks cuz thier part of nation and the people who write it think as them and are not diffrent generaly.
didnt in denmark thing suddenly changed and there were attacks on muslims after killing the Van Gogh, wasnt that racism becuz one muslim guy killed him?
There's the problem in your thinking right there. Are you that fucking stupid?

This is why you think it's ok to target the average joe when shit goes down.
Then you'll sit back and say, "it wasn't me it was some guy" at the same time sympathetic to that "some guy".

Fuck off.

Busyman
02-01-2006, 06:07 AM
people did that by thier own belives, cuz our union is muslim world is strong atleast in religion matters.
Oh so it's safe to say you all think alike.:ermm:

BawA
02-01-2006, 06:37 AM

Then you'll sit back and say, "it wasn't me it was some guy" at the same time sympathetic to that "some guy".

Fuck off.
no am not talking off my ass like you, check that last poll of danish people regarding this matter, over 80% people said not to opologize for making thoes cartoon, what u say about that, i say they all think same but to cover the matter up they use the "F"(freedom) word, again i say freedom is not to disrespet others moral and beliving values.

Busyman
02-01-2006, 06:49 AM

Fuck off.
no am not talking off my ass like you, check that last poll of danish people regarding this matter, over 80% people said not to opologize for making thoes cartoon, what u say about that, i say they all think same but to cover the matter up they use the "F"(freedom) word, again i say freedom is not to disrespet others moral and beliving values.
Again, are you that fucking stupid?

80% in a fucking poll?:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's everyone alright.

BawA
02-01-2006, 07:00 AM
how u think poll and research r done, not enitre nation vote or give thier openions, they take avrage numbers.
and i would think u a poor thinking person if making that kind of poll on FSt would be a good idea, that would be representing what u guys think of us and what is ur feeling toward us and "i dont hate muslims" would be hidding in shadow and releasing attention off your self.

Busyman
02-01-2006, 07:10 AM
how u think poll and research r done, not enitre nation vote or give thier openions, they take avrage numbers.
and i would think u a poor thinking person if making that kind of poll on FSt would be a good idea, that would be representing what u guys think of us and what is ur feeling toward us and "i dont hate muslims" would be hidding in shadow and releasing attention off your self.
I don't hate Muslims. My uncle is Muslim.:dry: Plus I don't hide jack shit on here. It's already the internet. I'm not worried about NOT saying what I think.:huh: Fuck sugarcoats.

80% in a poll means 80% OF THOSE POLLED.

Lets get those neurodendrites fired up.

Barbarossa
02-01-2006, 10:55 AM

...and as I said, they don't eat bacon anyway, so it's not like the Danish economy is going to suffer much. :dry:

thewizeard
02-01-2006, 12:20 PM
a boycott against one member of the European Union, is a boycott against all members....so.. I have decided to boycott their ...oil....erm ..damnit where is my bike :O

Snee
02-01-2006, 01:55 PM
Noo Bawa, that's not how news papers work.

No news paper in history, as far as I know, has ever been an expression of some sort of communal opinion. People don't vote on what to put in them, it's just a bunch of men and women reporting on news as they see them.

And furthermore, it's entirely possible for the staff or owner(s) of the paper to subscribe to a specific view and/or ideology that isn't shared by the majority of the population. Here we have papers with socialist tendencies, for instance, and that particular ideology isn't one that's shared by the entire population.

And do you even have the full context for those pictures? I haven't read that paper (danish ones interest me even less than their swedish counterparts), but my first guess, upon seeing those pictures, would be that it was a depiction of the Muhammed the terrorists worship, or what they've reduced him to by doing what they do in his name, rather than a picture of the "actual" benign prophet you love. Which would explain why the danes don't agree with you on the punishment issue.

And as busy says, that poll may not be representational at all, it depends on how it was done. If it was done at a university, for instance, I guarantee you the results would not reflect reality, when it comes to a matter like this.

It's true that you should have the freedom to act as you wish, within reason. But to consciously try and hurt the people of Denmark for what just a few people have done isn't right, can't you understand that?

And finally, I know enough about Denmark to know it isn't full of racists or haters, it's a laid back sort of country, very tolerant, or at least it seems that way to me. Lots of hippies too :ermm:

maebach
02-01-2006, 02:26 PM
a boycott against one member of the European Union, is a boycott against all members....so.. I have decided to boycott their ...oil....erm ..damnit where is my bike :O

:lol:

I'll boycott their . . .

what else do they have?

@BAWA - there's only a few people who might hate islam over here. After 9/11 my temple (hindu) was burned down because some fags cant tell the difference between religions. I was pretty angry, and I might have said some bad things to the muslims in our school but I'm ok now. But tell me, if one paper does it for a town in denmark, can you really think that all of Denmark ahtes you? and even if Denmark hated islam can you say that all of the west hates you? After 9/11 there was alot of hate against muslims, but you cant blame it on us. We cant pick out every terrorist. They seem to think that they serve the people and religion. Does that mean that all muslims are terrorists? My point is that you cant judge millions of people because of 1 newspaper from A country .

thewizeard
02-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Sand! I shall never import sand from them, ever again... Forget about the oil one...

yonki
02-02-2006, 01:32 AM
we don’t tolerate with those kind of things.
Religion is the opium of the masses. Forget about it , its all a big lie. And please be more tolerant.

Formula1
02-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Religion is the opium of the masses. Forget about it , its all a big lie. And please be more tolerant.

Hehe, are you quoting Karl Marx?. it's opiate not opium...

yonki
02-02-2006, 10:25 AM
Is it?

Afronaut
02-02-2006, 11:02 AM
IRC:

<Swede> I WONDER WHAT GOD WAS THINKIN WHEN SHE CREATED THE MAN
<Arcadian> I wonder what MAN was thinking when he INVENTED GOD...

BawA
02-02-2006, 11:10 AM
And furthermore, it's entirely possible for the staff or owner(s) of the paper to subscribe to a specific view and/or ideology that isn't shared by the majority of the population. Here we have papers with socialist tendencies, for instance, and that particular ideology isn't one that's shared by the entire population.
yeh thats why it efficts reached norwagian, french, Ispanish, UK, Italia and many other Europian newspapers, they all re-posted the same cartoons. now how in the hell u say not all western think same, they all are trying to hurt our feelings, one can be mistake two also can be but 3rd wont be a mistake its on purpose.
btw french newspaper owner fired his GM for reposting it.

Afronaut
02-02-2006, 11:29 AM
/ban all them countrys that published them pics?

What countrys has published them? , I dont know fo'sho but given the fuzz about it,
I dont think Denmark is the only and last one. (+teh intarweb)

Over all, I think this is rather bad PR for muslims,
and ofcource, Media knows no bad PR, its all PR for them.

Snee
02-02-2006, 12:00 PM
yeh thats why it efficts reached norwagian, french, Ispanish, UK, Italia and many other Europian newspapers, they all re-posted the same cartoons. now how in the hell u say not all western think same, they all are trying to hurt our feelings, one can be mistake two also can be but 3rd wont be a mistake its on purpose.
FFS, read again, I just said that what is in the papers doesn't reflect what the people think.

It doesn't mean that the entire western world is out to get you.
Also, some of them had articles about this little incident, and they were showing the pics so people could see what you were complaining about, they were hardly taking a bash at you, if anyone was.

Don't you have free press over there? Do you agree with everything that's printed in every newspaper in U.A.E.?

BawA
02-02-2006, 12:05 PM
all press here have thier freedom of speech they go on goverments even on shikhs but they respect peoples belivings and dont do such a things to hurt them even tho most of them arent from our region, what danish newspaper did was ignoring what our newspapers respect.

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 12:14 PM

We are all trying to HURT you? IMO it's thinking like this that lies at the root for all extremist behaviour, including Nazi germany.

To clarify, it's the we/you way of thinking which is bad. You shouldn't generalize. What's happening now is the western media feeling they have to prove their freedom of speech, it's got nothing to do with hate as far as I can see. You could argue however that the way in which they go about proving this freedom of speech is wrong.

(I read a norwegian professor (I think) saying something along the lines of the way the majority group is putting down a minority in this case is exceptional and further that if this had happened in Pakistan for instance, with the muslim majority doing something similar towards the chrisitan minority human rights activists would have been all over it.)

Snee
02-02-2006, 12:15 PM
But, if you get that, how can you think that every westerner thinks the same as the people who write in the paper(s)?

And also, do you know what the pictures were meant to say? 'cos as far as I know it may well be that it was

a depiction of the Muhammed the terrorists worship, or what they've reduced him to by doing what they do in his name, rather than a picture of the "actual" benign prophet you love.

If so, they were hardly saying anything about you, or trying to get to you, but rather they were trying to do something to or about the ones that blow people up.

And you don't do that, do you?

My point is that all you've seen are those pics, you don't know (and you don't seem to care) why they were in there. And to top it off, you seem to want to blame everyone who isn't like you, like some racist or something.

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 12:28 PM
Then you're back to blaming all muslims (by printing those pictures) for something a small group of individuals (the terrorists) do?

JPaul
02-02-2006, 12:32 PM
But, if you get that, how can you think that every westerner thinks the same as the people who write in the paper(s)?

And also, do you know what the pictures were meant to say? 'cos as far as I know it may well be that it was

a depiction of the Muhammed the terrorists worship, or what they've reduced him to by doing what they do in his name, rather than a picture of the "actual" benign prophet you love.

If so, they were hardly saying anything about you, or trying to get to you, but rather they were trying to do something to or about the ones that blow people up.

My point is that all you've seen are those pics, you don't know (and you don't seem to care) why they were in there. And to top it off, you seem to want to blame everyone who isn't like you, like some racist or something.

You think the chap may have become some kind of fascist xenophobiac fucktard fundamentalist, I think that's a bit harsh.

He justs expects everyone else to feel the same way as he does about his religion, that it is precious and should not be mocked. Others are more able to laugh at their own (and others) religion, but to each their own.

http://212.67.202.78/~littlepixel/b3ta/cheggers.jpg

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 12:40 PM
You infidel, you! :O

JPaul
02-02-2006, 12:45 PM
Fatwah me up, baby.

Snee
02-02-2006, 12:51 PM

You think the chap may have become some kind of fascist xenophobiac fucktard fundamentalist, I think that's a bit harsh.

He justs expects everyone else to feel the same way as he does about his religion, that it is precious and should not be mocked. Others are more able to laugh at their own (and others) religion, but to each their own.

Problem is, that he's pretty much been saying that all the people in those countries that have published those pictures think alike, that they are all out to hurt him, and that his people has the right to mess with the respective economies of those countries, for it. And he isn't even willing to consider that the pictures might not have been published to mock his religion.

If I'd have seen a picture of Jesus wrapped in the american flag or something, back when I was a believer, I'd not automatically have thunk that it was a representation of the Jesus I believed in, and this is a bit like that.

Bawa doesn't seem to be willing to consider that it might not have been an attempt to mock what he believes in, instead he prefers to blame and villainize us all.

Snee
02-02-2006, 12:54 PM
Then you're back to blaming all muslims (by printing those pictures) for something a small group of individuals (the terrorists) do?
No I'm not, 'cos again, the pictures might not be intended to show muhammed "as he was", but what the terrorists, not every muslim, believe it.

Is that so hard to understand?

maebach
02-02-2006, 01:35 PM
I'm partially understanding your thoughts snny.

I think we can expect another terrorist strike soon :ph34r:

JPaul
02-02-2006, 02:51 PM

Problem is, that he's pretty much been saying that all the people in those countries that have published those pictures think alike, that they are all out to hurt him, and that his people has the right to mess with the respective economies of those countries, for it. And he isn't even willing to consider that the pictures might not have been published to mock his religion.

If I'd have seen a picture of Jesus wrapped in the american flag or something, back when I was a believer, I'd not automatically have thunk that it was a representation of the Jesus I believed in, and this is a bit like that.

Bawa doesn't seem to be willing to consider that it might not have been an attempt to mock what he believes in, instead he prefers to blame and villainize us all.

I agree with you, there's just a certain phrase I wanted to use :P

http://www.theflagpole.com/images/jesus%20holding%20flag.JPG

Busyman
02-02-2006, 02:55 PM
I hope every fucking paper publishes those pics so you can wage war against the entire world...oh wait.

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 02:57 PM
No I'm not, 'cos again, the pictures might not be intended to show muhammed "as he was", but what the terrorists, not every muslim, believe it.

No, but they're still picturing Muhammed regardless. :schnauz:

There are better ways to go about portraying the fanatics' believes as insane. At least when, as this case shows, whatever noble intentions there may be to separate ordinary, sane Muslims from the fanatics clearly goes unnoticed. Instead you get a situation that can only do more harm than good.

JPaul
02-02-2006, 03:25 PM

No, but they're still picturing Muhammed regardless. :schnauz:

There are better ways to go about portraying the fanatics' believes as insane. At least when, as this case shows, whatever noble intentions there may be to separate ordinary, sane Muslims from the fanatics clearly goes unnoticed. Instead you get a situation that can only do more harm than good.
Fair point, however it does strike of political correctness. To what extent do we allow others to say, "You can't express your opinion on that subject, or in that way, because I object to it".

I object to stoning, public corporal punishment, bleeding cattle to death, busyman and various other things. However others carry on, in spite of my objections. They then impose sanctions on a country, because of a cartoon in a newspaper. That seems a bit of a double standard.

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 04:11 PM
Double Standards? Sure.

As a member of Amnesty International I frequently object to what's often going on in muslim countries and especially in countries with "muslim laws".

However, wouldn't I be accused of double standards if I were to deny them their right to object in this case? Sure, some individuals choose to object in a violent way which is completely unacceptable... but as long as their objections are within reason I have no problem with that.

Busyman
02-02-2006, 04:29 PM
Double Standards? Sure.

As a member of Amnesty International I frequently object to what's often going on in muslim countries and especially in countries with "muslim laws".

However, wouldn't I be accused of double standards if I were to deny them their right to object in this case? Sure, some individuals choose to object in a violent way which is completely unacceptable... but as long as their objections are within reason I have no problem with that.
How can they be denied the right to object? :dabs:

It's their low-level thinking that people have a problem with....they can still think that way.

It's that low-level thinking that leads to violence. It's like they are fucking stupid or something.

JPaul
02-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Double Standards? Sure.

Object yes, couldn't agree more. However what of economic sanctions and withdrawal of diplomats.

That goes beyond simply objection, that causes economic damage to the other country. Possibly people losing their jobs.

That is not simply objecting, that is causing direct and measurable damage to another nation and to it's citizens.

true_neo
02-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Danish people and Norwegians must die. :idunno: :cry:

all am saying when justise can be made by peace we have alternative ways and its our choice to boyccotts some thing.So burning our flags and threatening to kill our people is considered freedom of act? And here I was thinking I lived in a civilized world.... Oh well.
I don't give a shit that YOU say you don't condone of the killing and whatnot, SOMEONE does. And they obviously believe that pictures are more worth than a human life.
The Islamic religion is humanely flawed on so many points its taking the piss.
We even had a couple of Muslims in religion class DEFEND suicide bombers, and one of them even tried to blame 9/11 on the JEWS. Yeah thats right, Im not making this up. Half of our class gave him a dumb look and the other half burst into laughter.

Nice going.Truth++;

no am not talking off my ass like you, check that last poll of danish people regarding this matter, over 80% people said not to opologize for making thoes cartoon, what u say about that, i say they all think same but to cover the matter up they use the "F"(freedom) word, again i say freedom is not to disrespet others moral and beliving values.Of course we shouldn't apologise, and I will curse [insert name of deity you believe in here] for letting the Socialists win the election if the Norwegian government does apologise. (Btw I voted for the other side).
If we apologise, we will effectively tell the Islamic world that they control us. We will tell them that they can enforce whatever values and beliefs they want on us, and we will say "Yes. Ok, sure.". Which is something I don't want to live to see. Already there are mosques (or however) in Oslo and the people there have to suffer prayer shoutings all over town every day. At one point, some Imam said the following: "Why should we learn Norwegian law? The Norwegians should learn about Islam". Wtf?
I had this convo with a Muslim on MSN today, and he said this: Denmark should safe gaurd the rights of the religious minorities". Also wtf? Because Muslims are soo damn touchy that they start razing all kinds of shit the moment someone has abit of fun with them?
In Norway we have fanatic Christians, but they don't go around pulling crap like this whenever they hear someone badmouth God, Jesus or The Holy Ghost.

To all the Muslims that were offended: Welcome to the West, and Get Over It.

ahctlucabbuS
02-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Object yes, couldn't agree more. However what of economic sanctions and withdrawal of diplomats.

That goes beyond simply objection, that causes economic damage to the other country. Possibly people losing their jobs.

That is not simply objecting, that is causing direct and measurable damage to another nation and to it's citizens.

Yes, economic sanctions and freezing out entire countries because of it is drastic and probably wrong.

What I've tried to argue was that printing the pictures were unnecessary, their response equally so.

Busyman
02-02-2006, 07:03 PM

Yes, economic sanctions and freezing out entire countries because of it is drastic and probably wrong.

What I've tried to argue was that printing the pictures were unnecessary, their response equally so.
Who controls what's necessary?

I guess the movie "Comedy In the Muslim World" should have never been made.

I'd tell any Muslim to NOT look at the pictures then and fuck off.
Don't buy the newspaper.

Who the fuck are they that everyone else can be joked about but their Go....excuse me, ONE of their prophets cannot.

They need to worship, boycott THE OFFENDING party, and STFU.

"Don't come 'round popping guns off and shit 'cause they feel disrespected yo."

Some ole high school shit.

If they're so offended. get their own shit together within their religion 'cause the perception given off is bound to rear it's head in the form of illustrations and the spoken and written word.

JPaul
02-02-2006, 08:26 PM
I think the fact the their spiritual leader (Ayatollah Khomeini) demanded that Salman Rushdie and his publishers be murdered because of a book he wrote, sort of says it all.

It appears it's not just spiritual leaders either, in 1997 the highest Iranian state prosecutor Morteza Moqtadale renewed the death sentence.

There have also been rewards offered for his death, $2,000,000 US I believe.

Rushdie has publicly apologised and reaffirmed his respect for Islam. This does not seem to have had any effect on those who demand his murder.

maebach
02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
:cry:

all am saying when justise can be made by peace we have alternative ways and its our choice to boyccotts some thing.So burning our flags and threatening to kill our people is considered freedom of act? And here I was thinking I lived in a civilized world.... Oh well.
I don't give a shit that YOU say you don't condone of the killing and whatnot, SOMEONE does. And they obviously believe that pictures are more worth than a human life.
The Islamic religion is humanely flawed on so many points its taking the piss.
We even had a couple of Muslims in religion class DEFEND suicide bombers, and one of them even tried to blame 9/11 on the JEWS. Yeah thats right, Im not making this up. Half of our class gave him a dumb look and the other half burst into laughter.

Nice going.Truth++;

no am not talking off my ass like you, check that last poll of danish people regarding this matter, over 80% people said not to opologize for making thoes cartoon, what u say about that, i say they all think same but to cover the matter up they use the "F"(freedom) word, again i say freedom is not to disrespet others moral and beliving values.Of course we shouldn't apologise, and I will curse [insert name of deity you believe in here] for letting the Socialists win the election if the Norwegian government does apologise. (Btw I voted for the other side).
If we apologise, we will effectively tell the Islamic world that they control us. We will tell them that they can enforce whatever values and beliefs they want on us, and we will say "Yes. Ok, sure.". Which is something I don't want to live to see. Already there are mosques (or however) in Oslo and the people there have to suffer prayer shoutings all over town every day. At one point, some Imam said the following: "Why should we learn Norwegian law? The Norwegians should learn about Islam". Wtf?
I had this convo with a Muslim on MSN today, and he said this: Denmark should safe gaurd the rights of the religious minorities". Also wtf? Because Muslims are soo damn touchy that they start razing all kinds of shit the moment someone has abit of fun with them?
In Norway we have fanatic Christians, but they don't go around pulling crap like this whenever they hear someone badmouth God, Jesus or The Holy Ghost.

To all the Muslims that were offended: Welcome to the West, and Get Over It.

I actually read all of that. :O

Interesting thoughts. A bit strong, but my dad and I have very strict thoughts about immigrants and religions. My dad and I disagree with refugee's and how they live on taxes. I dont mind refugees, but they disagree and complain which I cant understand. I mean, we pay for you, we're helping you, but your telling everyone (police/press) that we're racists and dont respect their religion/culture. If we're so mean to you, GO HOME! Even Indian immigrants who dont care about Canada piss me off. Our family has struggled alot in Canada and UK, but we pulled through without help. My grandparent's convenient store use to get robbed here, in the UK, their car's were scratched/keyed. People have it easier now and they dont respect shit.

arab's who praise terrorism and spreading islam everywhere can f*ck themselves.

Busyman
02-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Fucking hive of hypocrites!!!

I'm watching ABC News and it showed huge groups of Middle Easterners firing guns in the air and burning Denmark's flag and shit.

From German paper Die Welt...

"When Syrian television showed drama documentaries in prime time depicting rabbis as cannibals, the imams were quiet."

From a Middle Eastern passerby....

"We all must be aggressive, kind of aggressive against these people."

Busyman
02-03-2006, 12:10 AM
I hope every fucking paper publishes those pics so you can wage war against the entire world...oh wait.
Oh looky here..it seems every fucking newspaper IS showing the pics (at least 'peon papers are). The ABC News I just watched showed it. (go TV)

One French paper (the one where the fella was fired) had on it's front page, "Yes We Have The Right To Caricature A God."

Looks like the world is your enemy, Bawa. Maybe you lot can kill somore American.....Muslims.

Fucking beehive twats. You are disturbed indeed.

JPaul
02-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Fucking hive of hypocrites!!!

I'm watching ABC News and it showed huge groups of Middle Easterners firing guns in the air and burning Denmark's flag and shit.

From German paper Die Welt...

"When Syrian television showed drama documentaries in prime time depicting rabbis as cannibals, the imams were quiet."

From a Middle Eastern passerby....

"We all must be aggressive, kind of aggressive against these people."
You agree there may be a wee bit of double standards here then.

maebach
02-03-2006, 02:19 AM
Looks like the world is your enemy, Bawa.

I think it's safe to say there's gonna be another toerrorist strike soon :ph34r: :lookaroun

Busyman
02-03-2006, 04:27 AM
Looks like the world is your enemy, Bawa.

I think it's safe to say there's gonna be another toerrorist strike soon :ph34r: :lookaroun
Yet they'll get pissed if the prophet Muhammed is depicted with a bomb is his turban. :dabs:
That's why I say if you're offended, fix yo shit.

They are like the bully that you can't speak out against.

SeK612
02-03-2006, 04:31 AM
It is an interesting one. As I understand it the problem is simply that those within the Muslim faith take there Religion pretty seriously. As part of their beliefs they're not allowed to depict the prophet Mohamed in anyway. The fact that this cartoonist has done has caused offence which has been heightened by the fact that the picture also attempted to ridicule the prophet.

Ultimately it is probably poor taste to have published this stuff. The reaction from the Muslim world hasn't been great though. A boycott seems reasonable I guess as a protest and an attempt to get the point across that this type of thing can and has caused offence. The calls for terrorist strikes though and the flag burnings don't help though as they just go to fuel the popular belief that the Muslim communities are violent and irrational.

Barbarossa
02-03-2006, 11:49 AM
This is getting blown out of all proportion now. It's like World War III is being sparked off by these cartoons... :frusty:

http://img492.imageshack.us/img492/6013/muhammed9pe.gif

4play
02-03-2006, 01:41 PM
"chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him." - bbc news site ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4674864.stm )

does anyone else read that sentence as no matter what you draw it will never look like allah not dont draw him.

Busyman
02-03-2006, 01:53 PM
"chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him." - bbc news site ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4674864.stm )

does anyone else read that sentence as no matter what you draw it will never look like allah not dont draw him.
Muhammad ain't Allah.

Nuff said.

Barbarossa
02-03-2006, 01:55 PM

Muhammad ain't Allah.

Nuff said.

From the article...

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.

Busyman
02-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Muhammad ain't Allah.

Nuff said.

From the article...

The same is believed to apply to Muhammad.

Chapter 21, verses 52-54 of the Koran read: "[Abraham] said to his father and his people: 'What are these images to whose worship you cleave?' They said: 'We found our fathers worshipping them.' He said: 'Certainly you have been, you and your fathers, in manifest error.'"

From this arises the Muslim belief that images can give rise to idolatry - that is to say an image, rather than the divine being it symbolises, can become the object of worship and veneration.
Funny thing is they are worshipping Muhammad.....image or not.

tralalala
02-03-2006, 02:57 PM
thing is, you wouldn't see the same reaction if it were a cartoon making a joke about Moses or Jesus..

You would probably see a gentleman in a suit on a TV broadcast critiscising the jokes/cartoons - unlike what is currently happening over the Muslim world with riots, kidnapping (a German was kidnapped in Nablus), or armed people walking the streets shooting.....

Somehow, I don't see that happening if it were a joke about another religion.

maebach
02-03-2006, 05:43 PM
I was watching the news and they showed people paint the french and danish flag on the ground and dancing on it. They also burned their flags, put it on the ground (ontop of the painted flags) and started dancing on it. One fucker burned himself which was funny. They showed that one news paper out of 15 danish newspapers published the cartoons.

JPaul
02-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh it's OK to abuse other people's country, burn their flag etc.

It's just when a newspaper prints a cartoon they don't approve of that you cut of diplomatic links and attack their economy.

Everyone knows that.

vidcc
02-03-2006, 06:42 PM
If it doesn't say danish down the side..........................

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/1648/storysidonprotestap9uh.jpg

maebach
02-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Oh it's OK to abuse other people's country, burn their flag etc.

It's just when a newspaper prints a cartoon they don't approve of that you cut of diplomatic links and attack their economy.

Everyone knows that.

how could I forget :( :pinch: :blushing:

Biggles
02-03-2006, 07:19 PM
There was a rather thoughtful letter in the Glasgow Herald today from Osama Saeed (a prominant Scottish Muslim). He went at lengths to explain that culturally it is shocking to Muslims to see depictions of the prophet. However, his view is that the issue has been hi-jacked by specific political interests rather than religious ones and referred to the Saudi input as being from that "rancid dictatorship".

I think he is largely right. The West does not have the cultural equipment to see why these pictures could be disturbing. To Western eyes they are very mild satire indeed. However, I also understand that many in the ME who have seen these pictures do appreciate that they are not particularly nasty nor are they saying that the Prophet condones terrorism. In Jordan, one of their newspapers has shown the pictures and called for tolerance and reflection.

However, terrorists in the ME do say the Prophet condones terrorism and the beheading of civilians. Consequently, the link between bombs and religion is of their own making and unsurprisingly makes religion a legitimate target for political satire in the West.

There is too much ambivilence in the ME towards acts of terrorism to give the West a clear lead on whether Islam is or is not linked to terrorism. In Iraq for instance, the attacks against UK and US troops are understandable if unpleasant. However, the logic behind blowing up Shia children by Sunni bombers is completely beyond me. While this continues to be the case issues like this will arise again and again.

With regards the boycott of European goods, the ME is free to buy what it likes from where it likes. However, I am intrigued by the situation in Palestine as the EU is the biggest contributer to the Palestinian State at about $750m a year. Presumably, they no longer want our money.

I wonder how many of those protesting really know what the pictures look like and what the issues being addressed are. It seems they are more concerned about wanting to be offended by the West than actually caring about a resolution.

maebach
02-03-2006, 08:06 PM
are you saying we should try to be more understanding to how they feel?

I agree with you on the part about them not caring about a resolution. What are the politicians doing about this (ME)? Wouldn't they care how their citizens are acting against a trading partner? This kind of reminds me about the riots in Paris.

thewizeard
02-03-2006, 08:25 PM
Nevertheless, I do feel that "Dartagnan" feeling rising in me. Next we will be told that our girls and women will have to wear those things on their heads, what do they call them...hijabs?

Europe's problems are beginning to accumulate though, what with us thinking of cutting off funds to the Palastine's Hamas and Iran withdrawing their capital and investments from Europe. :(

ahctlucabbuS
02-03-2006, 08:35 PM
In Jordan, one of their newspapers has shown the pictures and called for tolerance and reflection.

I believe the guy responsible for that view were later sacked!

Busyman
02-03-2006, 10:25 PM
FUCK THEM!

As I said, their thinking is screwed. They blame an entire nation on the acts of one to some.

They kill other Muslims..so their rationale for getting pissed at us is screwed.
Talk about getting offended, what about flag burning?
They need to stop worshipping a prophet...their own religion says he's just a prophet.

maebach
02-04-2006, 04:14 AM
bawa hasn't posted for a while :huh:

Busyman
02-04-2006, 04:31 AM
bawa hasn't posted for a while :huh:
He doesn't post often anyway.

vidcc
02-04-2006, 04:58 PM
As I said, their thinking is screwed. They blame an entire nation on the acts of one to some.

To be fair we can't as a nation claim we are not guilty of that ourselves.:(

Busyman
02-04-2006, 05:06 PM

To be fair, we are a nation severely divided.....how divided are they?

Also when are we going to start targeting mere civilians?

Not the same.

ahctlucabbuS
02-04-2006, 05:28 PM
So the situation is escalating...

The Danish embassy in Damascus, Syria were set on fire today, and burned to the ground. Later the Norwegian embassy were plundered, with an attempt to light this on fire as well.

Actually, it seems our embassy is burning as well. All in the name of Allah....

j2k4
02-04-2006, 05:51 PM
So the situation is escalating...

The Danish embassy in Damascus, Syria were set on fire today, and burned to the ground. Later the Norwegian embassy were plundered, with an attempt to light this on fire as well.

Actually, it seems our embassy is burning as well. All in the name of Allah....

Lovely, just lovely.

The action is ignorant, but a practice of freedom of expression in appropriate fora.

The reaction is severe and destructive, and poorly directed, into the bargain.

Odd that, in a milieu which does not ordinarily countenance freedom of speech/expression, such acts are neither denounced or punished from within.

We on the outside must grudgingly grant it as a free exercise of the type we enjoy no matter it's effect.

Why, though, is it not looked upon as a home-front exercise of the religious oppression (for that is what it is) which immigrants practice upon their host countries? :huh:

With all the sentiment expressed here (and everyhere) about the historical transgressions committed in the name of religion(s), how is it this is so routinely overlooked?

JPaul
02-04-2006, 06:36 PM
Strictly speaking, if they burned down the Danish embassy and plundered the Norwegian embassy, then the acts were carried out on Danish and Norwegian soil. Hopefully nobody was murdered when they did this.

It really is quite mad and totally over the top. It seems that some people take draconian retribution as being an acceptable way to behave in the modern World. They feel that it's OK to run their own countries in such a manner, therefore it's OK to treat everyone else the same way. It isn't and I for one am sick of it.

j2k4
02-04-2006, 07:06 PM
Strictly speaking, if they burned down the Danish embassy and plundered the Norwegian embassy, then the acts were carried out on Danish and Norwegian soil. Hopefully nobody was murdered when they did this.

It really is quite mad and totally over the top. It seems that some people take draconian retribution as being an acceptable way to behave in the modern World. They feel that it's OK to run their own countries in such a manner, therefore it's OK to treat everyone else the same way. It isn't and I for one am sick of it.

If they make the case they are subject to oppressive political/religious sentiment, are we bound to make a countering case?

The international bent toward "global" political-correctness would seem to dictate that this is so...even when any thinking person (as defined by our western sensibilities) would reject their actions as "quite mad and totally over the top".

Again-popular sentiment constantly warns of foreign policy heavily informed/influenced by religion (at least in the case of the U.S.); why are not similar cautions being voiced now?

Seems as though the international "community" prefers (as usual) to patronize second/third/fourth-world brown-skinned people by refusing to criticize their religion. ;)

vidcc
02-04-2006, 07:29 PM

Not the same.
SO you lump entire nations (but not ours) into one then

j2k4
02-04-2006, 09:00 PM
Okay, I'll ask this very, very plainly, since I'm currently treading about amongst you lot of thickos:

Why do we tippy-toe around the issue of religious conquest as practiced by fundamentalist Islamist whack-jobs?

It is of an undeniably religious nature.

It is insidious, intrusive and intolerant.

It has become all-pervading, and promulgates under the guise of legitimate immigration.

It is being committed by people of a dusky hue.

Have I missed anything?

maebach
02-04-2006, 09:14 PM
Okay, I'll ask this very, very plainly, since I'm currently treading about amongst you lot of thickos:

Why do we tippy-toe around the issue of religious conquest as practiced by fundamentalist Islamist whack-jobs?

It has become all-pervading, and promulgates under the guise of legitimate immigration.

Have I missed anything?

Can you use smaller words next time :blushing:

I think that the western world should know by now, how serious religion is to them (ME). We should stop picking on them, why should we keep making fun of them (that's how they see it). We're mocking the most important thing to those people. The best thing might be to leave them alone. After all these riots and what not, the ME has lost a trading partner and maybe more.

vidcc
02-04-2006, 09:24 PM

Have I missed anything?

I agree with the sentiment of this with the addition that I think this about all religious "whack jobs". One can try to differentiate between different groups with all the "but we don't do this or that" but at the end of the day fanatics of any design are just that.
I don't believe that anyone should be given a pass when it comes to questioning beliefs (or lack of), but on the flip side I don't expect anyone to like it and just as I feel the publishers of the cartoon in question have the right to do what they did the people that took offence have the right to boycott. What I will dispute with them is the point at which the justification for certain actions has been passed.

Of course there has to come a point where we have to ask ourselves that just because we can do something.......should we ? or is it worth doing?

ahctlucabbuS
02-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Nobody were. The Norwegian embassy did burn down though. At the moment they're evacuating all personel from the country.

link with video (http://www.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2006/02/04/456824.html)

j2k4
02-04-2006, 09:33 PM

Have I missed anything?

Can you use smaller words next time :blushing:

I think that the western world should know by now, how serious religion is to them (ME). We should stop picking on them, why should we keep making fun of them (that's how they see it). We're mocking the most important thing to those people. The best thing might be to leave them alone. After all these riots and what not, the ME has lost a trading partner and maybe more.

They could keep their own counsel on such matters and still get the message across.

Example:

If they forewent trade, etc., it would surely not go unnoticed, correct?

Do you think the Danes could/would ignore that circumstance, preferring to wait for their embassies, et.al. to burn before they take note?

While we wait for cooler heads to prevail (as with the terrorist/religious interface), we find the cooler heads to be cowed by the violence instead.

One of the world's largest religions held hostage by a microscopic and dispeptic sub-group?

Is it that, or are they just shy, do you think?

maebach
02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
I still dont understand :blushing: :pinch: :(

I feel stupid talking to you guys.

infared
02-04-2006, 10:14 PM
whoever the fools were who destroyed the embassies in syria are not following islam properly. im a muslim, and while i am upset over denmark and other european countries for publishing those pictures, destroying buildings is going way to over the line. the quran (quran is for muslims like bibles to christianity) strictly prohibits any acts of terrorism and or violence such as this. Therefore, i do not like people destroying buildings and doing killings in the name of Allah, but i also think that the european countries could have done a better role in their part to make sure this didnt happen.

JPaul
02-04-2006, 10:24 PM
but i also think that the european countries could have done a better role in their part to make sure this didnt happen.
So Islamic countries have the right to apply censorship to newspapers in Europe.

Fine, could you give your women equal rights please.

Not that I want to force my values on you, or 'owt.

j2k4
02-04-2006, 10:59 PM
I still dont understand :blushing: :pinch: :(

I feel stupid talking to you guys.

Please don't.

Let's see...

Christian religion has, over it's history, a bit of a mean-streak, born of conquests , crusades and basically oppressive behaviors; this tendency created a lot of ill-will between and amongst the crusading factions and those they intended to convert.

The strategy was simple:

March, on a very war-like footing, into any "primitive" society and re-create it in whatever subservient fashion suited.

To make a long story short, the upshot was a dilution of such religious activity, due to widely varying opinions among the conquerers and conquered as to just what was proper for religion to do to, or expect from, it's adherents.

This dilution has had the effect of taking the starch out of aggressive Christian conversion, and the largest efforts taken on behalf of Christian religion these days are of the type that help those who need it most.

Christian religions continue, however, to suffer the slings and arrows of their past misadventure, and race (white European/American vs. "any other color") has been injected into the issue, as well as the complications arising from western support of the Israeli state in the geographic cradle of Islam.

Comes now the exportation of Islam to the rest of the world under the guise of innocent immigation, and, apart from the objectionable terrorist factions, there is a commitment on the part of larger Islam to expand, envelope, and extinguish other religions, and a distinct lack of any compulsion to recognize Israel in any way.

Now, as Christianity is still viewed askance for it's past, why is it that, given this as a prime historical example, no one draws any parallels to an expansionist tendency Islam does not effectively or officially disavow?

Any sentiments to the contrary are almost whispered, and in any case are no more than anecdotal.

What are we to think or conclude of all this?

maebach
02-04-2006, 11:02 PM
Infared a had a point, which basically reinforces mine on how the western countries shouldn't pick on islam. We know that they're (ME people) gonna go out of control, so why encourage them?

I think I understand j2k4, but we're goin out so I'll summarize what I understand later.

thanks.

infared
02-04-2006, 11:26 PM
So Islamic countries have the right to apply censorship to newspapers in Europe.

No. I fully support freedom of expression and such, but attacking Islam by depicting the Prophet with rockets isnt really helping anyone, is disrespectful and isnt true.

Our women already have equal rights in Islam. Go to countries such as Pakistan, you will see that they are allowed to do anything that men do, vote, drive, run for President/Prime Minister (already have had a women prime minister), etc. Its just that some hard core radical countries such as Saudi Arab don't want to give them the rights they deserve, even though Quran specifically states that both men and women are equal.

j2k4
02-05-2006, 12:07 AM
Granting I've picked a bit of a side issue (that anti-Christian rhetoric is at it's usual high ebb, especially here in the States, and Christian aid, as in Africa, is somewhat under-appreciated), my salient point is that those who take up for Islamic freedom of expression are strangely silent when comes time to speak out over terrororism, Israel, and Islamic expansion.

Are you all Muslims, or not?

If you disagree with fundamentalist intolerance and terrorism, why not firmly dissociate yourselves from them, and speak out against the fundamentalists?

Why is Bin Laden so popular with the Arab "street"?

Why is every other child born to a Muslim family named Usama?

If you'll excuse the phrase, something is rotten in Denmark.

JPaul
02-05-2006, 12:23 AM
No. I fully support freedom of expression and such, but attacking Islam by depicting the Prophet with rockets isnt really helping anyone, is disrespectful and isnt true.

Our women already have equal rights in Islam. Go to countries such as Pakistan, you will see that they are allowed to do anything that men do, vote, drive, run for President/Prime Minister (already have had a women prime minister), etc. Its just that some hard core radical countries such as Saudi Arab don't want to give them the rights they deserve, even though Quran specifically states that both men and women are equal.

Oh sorry, did I tar a whole group of people with the same brush, based on what a small section did.

Heaven forfend that anyone would do that. Like burning down buildings, risking lives and imposing sanctions because a newspaper printed a cartoon. That would just be mental

What was I thinking.

infared
02-05-2006, 12:47 AM
If you disagree with fundamentalist intolerance and terrorism, why not firmly dissociate yourselves from them, and speak out against the fundamentalists?

We are already trying our best. A lot of muslim organizations in the US and various governments have denounced terrorism and such. Its just that the media reports mainly on muslims who are terrorist then the ones who arent.

Why is Bin Laden so popular with the Arab "street"?

Wouldn't know as I dont/haven't lived in M.E. but its probably because of the anti-US atmosphere over there.

Why is every other child born to a Muslim family named Usama?

Actually a lot of Muslim families name their children Mohammed, after our prophet. Also Usama was a common name before the Taliban leader. Ex. Say their is a guy named John who is commiting crimes in a town. If a family names their new child John, it doesn't necessary mean they named the kid after the person who commits those crimes, it just a common name.

vidcc
02-05-2006, 12:50 AM
I haven't been following this story very closely, can someone clarify.

Have trade sanctions been imposed by the governments of the offended nations or is it a boycott by the people?

I have read of government statements that condemn but no official trade sanctions.

Heck here there was a resolution put up to remove the word "french" from french fries

1Bullet
02-05-2006, 02:27 AM
Its too bad ,that a stupid cartoon which should be allowed to be printed as freedom of speech ,would cause a boycott on a country(Denmark) which has nothing to do with the newspaper, other than it runs itself in that country. There should be an apology from the newspaper , but the Danish government can't ,would not, and should not apologise. I live in Canada, I was born and raised here, because of third world immigrinants I can no longer call Christmas, Christmas, but now the Holiday season and a holiday tree. Give me a break. I too beleive in the right of free speech and the right of religion, but when are the extremist going to stop pushing there beliefs down my throat, and trying to change my country to there's. I agree they have the same rights as mysellf, but stop talking about preserving heritages and belielfs, cause no one is protecting mine, and I am still with the majoriity. So in a democracy majority rules. No in a democracy minorities have more rights, or they cry racism. The only thing I would boycott would be anything Muslim.

As far as Muslim organisation, they might denounce terrorism but they don't seem to be able to stop it. Nor do they boycott there neighbors who do support it. It is sad day when a cartoon cause a boycott and terroism does not.

true_neo
02-05-2006, 08:28 AM

Our women already have equal rights in Islam. Go to countries such as Pakistan, you will see that they are allowed to do anything that men do, vote, drive, run for President/Prime Minister (already have had a women prime minister), etc. Its just that some hard core radical countries such as Saudi Arab don't want to give them the rights they deserve, even though Quran specifically states that both men and women are equal.You just proved JPauls point. The "hard core radical countries" (AKA "Islamic" countries, countries where the supreme law is the Quran) actively oppress women. Only in countries that has a more lenient (sp?) relationship between the Quran and their legislative/judicial system do women have something remotely resembling equal rights.

thewizeard
02-05-2006, 08:33 AM
FUCK THEM!

They kill other Muslims..so their rationale for getting pissed at us is screwed.
They need to stop worshipping a prophet...their own religion says he's just a prophet.'

I think you do have a point here Busyman,. I have not been able to find a place in the Koran, where the depiction of Muhammad in a cartoon, is forbidden. It's obviously a Taboo grown out of respect.

It would seem to me an attempt to place Muhhamad on a level similar to "God" Allah or Jaweh or whatever...which would probably make him turn in his grave.

...and that flag burning part is a very good point too...

:shutup: <------------- is this what they want us all to become...we have fought many wars to gain our right to free expression...and NO , you cant cut me off for a skin either!

JPaul
02-05-2006, 10:44 AM
FUCK THEM!

They need to stop worshipping a prophet...their own religion says he's just a prophet.'

I think you do have a point here Busyman,. I have not been able to find a place in the Koran, where the depiction of Muhammad in a cartoon, is forbidden. It's obviously a Taboo grown out of respect.

It would seem to me an attempt to place Muhhamad on a level similar to "God" Allah or Jaweh or whatever...which would probably make him turn in his grave.

:shutup: <------------- is this what they want us all to become...we have fought many wars to gain our right to free expression...and NO , you cant cut off my foreskin either!

Good post, only spoilt at the end by you forcing an image of your foreskin into my id.

Busyman
02-05-2006, 11:15 AM

Not the same.
SO you lump entire nations (but not ours) into one then
I can't. I don't know how divided each ME country is.

I don't hear about a division, however.

thewizeard
02-05-2006, 01:21 PM
'

:shutup: <------------- is this what they want us all to become...we have fought many wars to gain our right to free expression...and NO , you cant cut off my foreskin either!

Good post, only spoilt at the end by you forcing an image of your foreskin into my id.

my excuses for that, you see, I am rather attached to it.

j2k4
02-05-2006, 05:23 PM
We are already trying our best. A lot of muslim organizations in the US and various governments have denounced terrorism and such. Its just that the media reports mainly on muslims who are terrorist then the ones who arent.

Who's "we"?

I will quote from a post of my own here which still holds:

"Islam's interests in the U.S. are represented and promoted by many groups, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) chief amongst them.

Amid a recent statement of their goals, this tidbit:

The elimination of references to"Judeo-Christian" when describing the heritage of the United States; CAIR will push instead for "Judeo-Christian-Islamic" or "Abrahamic", which phrase to be used "in all venues where we normally talk about Judeo-Christian values, starting with the media, academia, statements by politicians, and comments made in churches, synagogues, and other places."

Note there is no mention here of "Mosques"; in Mosques, the reference is to remain "Islam(ic)" only, no inclusion of "Judeo-Christian".

CAIR Chairman Omar M. Ahmad, in a speech to a group of California Muslims in July, 1998, said "Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth."

Biggles
02-05-2006, 05:38 PM
There are moderate Muslims who do not harbour hopes of Sharia law being implemented anytime soon. In all probabilities they moved to the US and Europe to get away from that nasty stuff.

However, they would appear to be pretty quiet and keep their heads down. One nasty individual kept telling a moderate that he was an apostate on a BBC chat show - much to his discomfort. We need moderates to rise up in angry protest at the mosques and schools that preach hatred and tell the miltants to go back to somewhere where they will have Sharia law.

The militants never seem to have a problem getting rent a crowd out onto the streets. Interestingly, the European security forces must have had a field day photographing all the protesters. If they are looking for potential radicals they should now have most on film. A silver lining I suppose.

It is interesting to see how opinions have hardened in Europe - many of the interviews on TV have been increasingly of the "tough" variety. I personally hope that a line can be drawn under this soon before the seriously right wing start to capitalise.

vidcc
02-05-2006, 07:19 PM
Who's "we"?

"Islam's interests in the U.S. are represented and promoted by many groups, the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) chief amongst them.

The elimination of references to"Judeo-Christian" when describing the heritage of the United States; CAIR will push instead for "Judeo-Christian-Islamic" or "Abrahamic", which phrase to be used "in all venues where we normally talk about Judeo-Christian values, starting with the media, academia, statements by politicians, and comments made in churches, synagogues, and other places."

Note there is no mention here of "Mosques"; in Mosques, the reference is to remain "Islam(ic)" only, no inclusion of "Judeo-Christian".

CAIR Chairman Omar M. Ahmad, in a speech to a group of California Muslims in July, 1998, said "Islam isn't in America to be equal to any other faith, but to become dominant. The Koran should be the highest authority in America, and Islam the only accepted religion on earth."

Could you please explain the difference between this statement of intent and the intent of the christian mission...to convert those that haven't already to accept christ as the savior?

Obviously the person that made this statement is not a "moderate" so the explaination needs to be a "like for like" so feel free to give me the pat robertson or jerry falwell version

j2k4
02-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Who's "we"?

Could you please explain the difference between this statement of intent and the intent of the christian mission...to convert those that haven't already to accept christ as the savior?

The difference?

Does modern Christianity preach it intends to be "the only accepted religion on earth"?

Do you not regard this as a difference? :blink:

Obviously the person that made this statement is not a "moderate" so the explaination needs to be a "like for like" so feel free to give me the pat robertson or jerry falwell version

Did you read the quote?

It came from the lips of Omar Ahmad, THE CHAIRMAN OF C.A.I.R., WHICH IS THE LARGEST REPRESENTATIVE ORGANIZATION OF ISLAM IN NORTH AMERICA. IT CAN SAFELY BE SAID HE SPEAKS FOR "OFFICIAL" ISLAM ON THIS CONTINENT.

This is much more than can be said about Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, or even Jesse Jackson, vid.

JPaul
02-05-2006, 09:05 PM
The thing is j2, we used to kill people who wouldn't convert to Christianity, however we stopped doing that because it was wrong. P'raps in the fullness of time others will feel the same way p'raps not. P'raps they will learn that others have the right to choose their own path and indeed that there may be more than one path to the same end.

That being said, we did it to people who were weaker than us and couldn't do much about it. I feel confident that we can protect out right to live in a World where people can make choices for themselves. Feck we even defend the rights of people who would remove that very right. Which is really quite weird.

It is our very defence of liberty, that allows them to try to remove ours.

maebach
02-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I was watching the news, and they showed, that musilim owned grocery stores here have signs showing that they do not carry products from Denmark. We cant blame only the muslims in ME, most have the same thoughts, very few said the disagree. Many people have the same thoughts, some are a bit severer (sp?)compared to others. This morning, while watching FOX, Juan Williams (I think hes a political analyst for some paper in the US) said something like if a religionmust fuss about something shows signs of it being a weak religion. I'll try finding the exact quote.

Formula1
02-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Wow have you guys seen this?
http://michellemalkin.com/archives/004448.htm

Outrageous..

vidcc
02-05-2006, 11:48 PM

The difference?

Does modern Christianity preach it intends to be "the only accepted religion on earth"?

Do you not regard this as a difference? :blink:

Did you read the quote?

It came from the lips of Omar Ahmad, THE CHAIRMAN OF C.A.I.R., WHICH IS THE LARGEST REPRESENTATIVE ORGANIZATION OF ISLAM IN NORTH AMERICA. IT CAN SAFELY BE SAID HE SPEAKS FOR "OFFICIAL" ISLAM ON THIS CONTINENT.

This is much more than can be said about Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, or even Jesse Jackson, vid.
Yes I did read the quote, and I am sure it would take me very little time to come up with many almost exact quotes from American christian "leaders". The fact that you feel islam and christianity are organised differently and that the likes of falwell don't speak for you (yet obviously this guy speaks for all muslims) is not material to the case.
What could be more American than the president? yet I doubt you felt Clinton spoke for your America most of the time.
Even without the extremist like falwell the sole intent of a missionary to convert others is in itself an attempt at sole domination.

JPaul
02-06-2006, 12:10 AM
Did you read the quote?

Yes I did read the quote, and I am sure it would take me very little time to come up with many almost exact quotes from American christian "leaders". The fact that you feel islam and christianity are organised differently and that the likes of falwell don't speak for you (yet obviously this guy speaks for all muslims) is not material to the case.
What could be more American than the president? yet I doubt you felt Clinton spoke for your America most of the time.
Even without the extremist like falwell the sole intent of a missionary to convert others is in itself an attempt at sole domination.

The important point is how one goes about it. See my last.

I have no problem with you trying to convince me that God doesn't exist, by reasoned argument. It would piss me off if you tried to do it by offering violence.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 12:35 AM
The important point is how one goes about it. See my last
I have no problem with you trying to convince me that God doesn't exist, by reasoned argument. It would piss me off if you tried to do it by offering violence.
You are talking about extremists, which are NOT the majority of religious people no matter how it is framed.

thewizeard
02-06-2006, 12:48 AM
... most of these people are not intellectuals, so a reasoned argument is highly unlikely. In fact a reasoned argument would probably cost you your life.

Looking ahead, the solution to the "Islamic" problem, for future generations, is probably to ensure that the Islamic youth, receive an adequate education, so that they actually understand what they are reading in the Koran.

JPaul
02-06-2006, 01:02 AM
The important point is how one goes about it. See my last
You are talking about extremists, which are NOT the majority of religious people no matter how it is framed.
Indeed, Christian fundamentalists are sometimes really harsh with the words they use.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 01:13 AM
Indeed, Christian fundamentalists are sometimes really harsh with the words they use.

It's not uncommon in our news to hear of people being attacked and sometimes murdered because their lifestyles are "unchristian"

Busyman
02-06-2006, 04:42 AM
Did you read the quote?

Hmmm I address that before. Our nation has division amongst it which is visible. It is visible by just turning on the news. It visible on this very forum.

Where is their visible division?

If one were to compare beehives, fundamentalist Islam has killer bees.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 04:43 AM
It's not uncommon in our news to hear of people being attacked and sometimes murdered because their lifestyles are "unchristian"
Yes it is.

MagicNakor
02-06-2006, 12:31 PM
This was an article written by Bill Laye in the Calgary Sun the other day, on a different sort of protest:

Calling recent violent protests over derogatory cartoons self-destructive, a local Islamic leader is calling on Calgary Muslims to use the pen, not the sword.

And, Imam Syed Soharwardy, president of the Islamic Supreme Council of Canada, says he's thankful the kinds of cruel caricatures of his faith's Prophet Muhammad -- which have now run in several European papers -- would likely never be printed in this country.

"I am really thankful the laws in Canada are so clear about these anti-racism and anti-violence issues ... this is why Canada is the model for other countries," Soharwardy said yesterday.

The cartoons, which were first printed in Denmark last September, include an image of Muhammad wearing a turban shaped like a bomb with a lit fuse.

These pictures are not only offensive to Muslims, they violate an Islamic anti-idolatry law banning images of any prophet, Soharwardy said.

In his sermon during regular prayers yesterday in Calgary, the cleric urged local believers to flood Danish authorities with calls and e-mails demanding a retraction and an apology.

"We will be peaceful, but we will be noticed," Soharwardy said, adding the violent protests seen elsewhere will only serve to reinforce negative images of Islam.

"We are asking all Muslims to slow down ... this sort of thing will only hurt Muslims."

Edit: There a few points through this thread I'd respond to, but again, my wacky timing would disrupt the flow of the thread. ;) Ah well, maybe next time.

:shuriken:

Barbarossa
02-06-2006, 02:20 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4684652.stm

"They want to test our feelings," protester Mawli Abdul Qahar Abu Israra told the BBC.

"They want to know whether Muslims are extremists or not. Death to them and to their newspapers," he said.

This actually made me :glag: irl

Draw your own conclusions... ;)

Busyman
02-06-2006, 02:55 PM
In his sermon during regular prayers yesterday in Calgary, the cleric urged local believers to flood Danish authorities with calls and e-mails demanding a retraction and an apology.
I have no problem with calls and e-mails but this guy STILL doesn't get it.

I sounds like Denmark has free press.....however....

The cleric could press on and possibly push for change in Denmark's laws that would bar this from happening again. In that case, he does get it.

I wonder what would have happened if the drawing with the bomb turban was NOT Muhammed and was captioned as such.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Hmmm I address that before. Our nation has division amongst it which is visible. It is visible by just turning on the news. It visible on this very forum.

Where is their visible division?

If one were to compare beehives, fundamentalist Islam has killer bees. Because the only thing you see on the news is the demonstrations and bad stuff.

One can try to differentiate between different groups with all the "but we don't do this or that" but at the end of the day fanatics of any design are just that.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 03:02 PM
Yes it is.

So you think it's rare to see reports of abortion clinic attacks or attacks on people that work there, attacks on gay bars etc. etc. ? You haven't heard of the resistance to having a specific "hate crime" catergory that includes attacks on homosexuals?

Busyman
02-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes it is.

So you think it's rare to see reports of abortion clinic attacks or attacks on people that work there, attacks on gay bars etc. etc. ? You haven't heard of the resistance to having a specific "hate crime" catergory that includes attacks on homosexuals?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You think gay bashing has to do with religion?:lol: :lol: :lol:

So now hate crimes are religiously motivated?

If I beat up the white fella 'cause he's white, it was actually 'cause he's unChristian... :ermm:

4play
02-06-2006, 04:16 PM

So you don't think gays get bashed because they have been persecuted by christians/(insert various religions here) for a quite a while and people still think of it as the norm.

seems this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion people are dying and building are burning over a cartoon.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM

So you don't think gays get bashed because they have been persecuted by christians/(insert various religions here) for a quite a while and people still think of it as the norm.

seems this whole thing has been blown way out of proportion people are dying and building are burning over a cartoon.
I purposely left out the words always or most of time.

So you don't think gays get bashed because they are simply different?

I don't often hear of clergymen calling for gay bashing.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 04:59 PM

Oh I don't know...perhaps the statements of the perpertrators when caught might give you a clue as to their motives :rolleyes: Some have nothing to do with religious beliefs some have everything to do with them.

One example just off the top of my head .......Eric Rudolph.

Some are, not all

If I beat up the white fella 'cause he's white, it was actually 'cause he's unChristian... :ermm: WTF are you talking about? do you honestly believe that there is just one catergory for "hate crimes".

4play
02-06-2006, 05:16 PM

gays get bashed because they are different, but religion is defiently a factor in some cases.

I have not heard of any clergymen calling for bashing gays but i have heard plenty of them saying its a sin, gay marriages should not be allowed and so forth. its not really a freedom loving attitude.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 05:21 PM
vid and 4play, I direct you to post 171. It's like on this very page and stuff.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 05:24 PM

gays get bashed because they are different, but religion is defiently a factor in some cases.

I have not heard of any clergymen calling for bashing gays but i have heard plenty of them saying its a sin, gay marriages should not be allowed and so forth. its not really a freedom loving attitude.
Sooo?

So is stealing, fornication, drunkeness, lying, and so forth.

Barbarossa
02-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Where are they getting all these Danish flags from to burn? It's not the sort of thing that you'd think alot of middle-easterners would have lying around.

Is there a warehouse in Mecca or somewhere that stocks all the flags of the world, just in case some emergency flag-burning needs to take place? :unsure:

4play
02-06-2006, 05:38 PM
true but there are laws against some of those which are generally accepted by the population to be needed. stealing for example.

the problem here is that if the church is telling people gays are evil in some way its alot harder to convince law makers that its generally accepted that gay marriage is fine.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 05:54 PM
true but there are laws against some of those which are generally accepted by the population to be needed. stealing for example.

the problem here is that if the church is telling people gays are evil in some way its alot harder to convince law makers that its generally accepted that gay marriage is fine.
I think people look at it differently. The church is not as powerful at 'causing violence as it is in the ME.

Snee
02-06-2006, 07:08 PM
Where are they getting all these Danish flags from to burn? It's not the sort of thing that you'd think alot of middle-easterners would have lying around.

Is there a warehouse in Mecca or somewhere that stocks all the flags of the world, just in case some emergency flag-burning needs to take place? :unsure:
If I was of a more suspicious persuasion, I'd wonder about that, and I'd wonder about why it took so long for all of these protests to start. I mean, the timespan between the cartoons getting published, and the people to react, might be significant.

I might wonder why this started now, and what organisations have something to gain by drawing everyone's attention to this, and by actively condemning it and thus showing initiative. Is there an election coming up? Or has someone, or some organisation, fallen out of favour, prompting some posturing against the western world?

I might say that things like the flags turning up, for instance, might point to someone having planned it out for maximum effect.

I think behaving like a xenophobiac fascist fucktard fundamentalist doesn't come natural for most of the people down there, or anywhere, and it seems odd to me that the quotient of people behaving as such suddenly has gone up.

JPaul
02-06-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Muslims (particularly fundamentalists) are know for their tolerance, especially towards gay people.

Therefore violent attacks on gays are made by middle class, middle aged regular Church go-ers. Not by mindless thugs who are described as Christians and who never actually have a Christian thought in their head or visit a Church.

Busyman
02-06-2006, 07:24 PM

Oh I don't know...perhaps the statements of the perpertrators when caught might give you a clue as to their motives :rolleyes: Some have nothing to do with religious beliefs some have everything to do with them.

One example just off the top of my head .......Eric Rudolph.

Some are, not all

If I beat up the white fella 'cause he's white, it was actually 'cause he's unChristian... :ermm: WTF are you talking about? do you honestly believe that there is just one catergory for "hate crimes".
Off the top of your head...Eric Rudolph?

You can't name many more and that's my point.

ilw
02-06-2006, 08:08 PM
Ignoring the gay bashing, what about the example of offences by pro-lifers? They're generally hardcore bible bashers...

thewizeard
02-06-2006, 08:09 PM
well it's good for the flag making business...as it's not only Danish flags that are getting burnt...I think I will invest in some flag shares...

Busyman
02-06-2006, 08:19 PM
Ignoring the gay bashing, what about the example of offences by pro-lifers? They're generally hardcore bible bashers...
Bible bashers?:huh:

Snee
02-06-2006, 08:32 PM
Sometimes they go through libraries, beating on every book they can find, for practice, like :unsure:

JPaul
02-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Even if that were true, are you suggesting that the violence against abortion clinics is remotely on the same scale as what is happening here. Or that during Church services Priests and Ministers are telling people to do it.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 09:13 PM
Even if that were true, are you suggesting that the violence against abortion clinics is remotely on the same scale as what is happening here. Or that during Church services Priests and Ministers are telling people to do it.

I could point to pat robertson or jerry falwell as examples of "ministers" who do support the "justice" of blowing up abortion clinics. It may not come as direct words ( although robertson does like to make direct calls for the assasination of foriegn leaders) but the implication isn't hard to see. All it takes is an Eric Rudolf to take up the challenge.

The point being that such calls come from extremists. The fact is that there tends to be more openly extremist muslim clerics than Christian clergy.

j2k4
02-06-2006, 09:17 PM

Good point.

Also:

Who would be the beneficiary of the sales of such flags?

They'd have to come from somewhere...

Denmark?

Self-defeating, I'd say.

If they are counterfeit (made in the M.E., for example) a really neat lawsuit should be in the offing; perhaps the I.C.C. could get involved...:D

j2k4
02-06-2006, 09:22 PM

I could point to pat robertson or jerry falwell as examples of "ministers" who do support the "justice" of blowing up abortion clinics. It may not come as direct words ( although robertson does like to make direct calls for the assasination of foriegn leaders) but the implication isn't hard to see. All it takes is an Eric Rudolf to take up the challenge.

The point being that such calls come from extremists. The fact is that there tends to be more openly extremist muslim clerics than Christian clergy.

There may be a nugget of truth in your statements...I take note that, while Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are here and there disavowed by some blacks, you'd never be able to tell from the major media they (along with a handful of idiots like Julian Bond) aren't the be-all end-all leaders and spokesmen for blacks.

JPaul
02-06-2006, 09:32 PM
The fact is that there tends to be more openly extremist muslim clerics than Christian clergy.
Absolutely, as is the case with the followers of the respective faiths. As is the case with how widespread the extremism is. As is the case with just how extreme they are willing (nay eager) to be.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 09:34 PM
I do think we could solve the problem by just making western flags out of the same material as fire blankets

JPaul
02-06-2006, 09:35 PM
I do think we could solve the problem by just making western flags out of the same material as fire blankets
That's actually a quite cool idea.

It would also act as a safety device when the fecktards set fire to themselves.

j2k4
02-06-2006, 10:02 PM
That's actually a quite cool idea.

It would also act as a safety device when the fecktards set fire to themselves.

'Twould also qualify as foreign aid.

Well done. :)

Busyman
02-06-2006, 10:36 PM

No shit but you also left out "more openly extremist Muslim civilians." :ermm:

Busyman
02-06-2006, 10:38 PM
:lol: :lol:

I heard that one before. Funny but true.

I remember someone saying to imagine a fella trying to light it on fire for the news camera and the look of embarassment.:lookaroun

maebach
02-06-2006, 11:04 PM
No matter, we're all going to die, some will not settle till only islam is left. "We Say to This West... By Allah, You Will Be defeated" (Hamas leader Khaled Mash'al)

full quote :

"We say to this West, which does not act reasonably, and does not learn its lessons: By Allah, you will be defeated. You will be defeated in Palestine, and your defeat there has already begun. True, it is Israel that is being defeated there, but when Israel is defeated, its path is defeated, those who call to support it are defeated, and the cowards who hide behind it and support it are defeated. Israel will be defeated, and so will whoever supported or supports it."

got it from here:

http://jihadwatch.org/ (http://jihadwatch.org/)

It might be a bad, one-sided, rasict, unfair-headed site, but it was one of the first sites on google when I searched
'riots muslim denmark prophet'

All I want to know is what do they (ME) want from us? I'm not joking either, I'm serious, it might sound stupid but I dont understand why they do this.

j2k4
02-06-2006, 11:15 PM
No matter, we're all going to die, some will not settle till only islam is left. "We Say to This West... By Allah, You Will Be defeated" (Hamas leader Khaled Mash'al)

full quote :

"We say to this West, which does not act reasonably, and does not learn its lessons: By Allah, you will be defeated. You will be defeated in Palestine, and your defeat there has already begun. True, it is Israel that is being defeated there, but when Israel is defeated, its path is defeated, those who call to support it are defeated, and the cowards who hide behind it and support it are defeated. Israel will be defeated, and so will whoever supported or supports it."

got it from here:

http://jihadwatch.org/ (http://jihadwatch.org/)

It might be a bad, one-sided, rasict, unfair-headed site, but it was one of the first sites on google when I searched
'riots muslim denmark prophet'

All I want to know is what do they (ME) want from us? I'm not joking either, I'm serious, it might sound stupid but I dont understand why they do this.

It's simple-

They believe their ways to be superior, and any who do not hew to their beliefs are unworthy and deserve nothing so much as elimination.

They are Hitler to our Jew.

They want us gone.

The fundamentalists want this sooner than soon, and your average Muslim is not moved by any of it to the extent they'll "rise up righteous" against their own, regardless of their personal preference.

vidcc
02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
To balance things out and try to please the offended

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/5672/bushbomb8el.jpg

Trouble is the satirical line would have to be------

If brains were dynamite..................:pinch:

JPaul
02-06-2006, 11:24 PM
It's simple-

They believe their ways to be superior, and any who do not hew to their beliefs are unworthy and deserve nothing so much as elimination.

Bizarrely I think you understate the case. It's not just that their way is superior, it's that any other way is evil and that they praise their God by destroying it.

However please bear in mind that not all Muslims are fundamentalists. That there are many who can accept that others have different beliefs. They still think that we are wrong, but they can get past that and live in relative harmony.

That's a process which Christianity has been thro'. From everyone else is evil to everyone else is wrong.

maebach
02-07-2006, 12:58 AM
That's a process which Christianity has been thro'. From everyone else is evil to everyone else is wrong.

how long do you think it'll take muslims to change like christians?

j2k4
02-07-2006, 01:19 AM
It's simple-

Bizarrely I think you understate the case. It's not just that their way is superior, it's that any other way is evil and that they praise their God by destroying it.

However please bear in mind that not all Muslims are fundamentalists. That there are many who can accept that others have different beliefs. They still think that we are wrong, but they can get past that and live in relative harmony.

"Tis what I should have said. ;)

Maebach-

Not quickly enough to save a whole lot more bloodshed, and not in our lifetime, neither mine nor yours. :(

Barbarossa
02-07-2006, 09:59 AM
http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/6520/bushbomb8el6wn.jpg

:schnauz:

Snee
02-07-2006, 02:30 PM
To balance things out and try to please the offended

http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/5672/bushbomb8el.jpg

Trouble is the satirical line would have to be------

If brains were dynamite..................:pinch:
Standing next to Bush would be pretty darned safe.

maebach
02-08-2006, 03:25 AM
Maebach-

Not quickly enough to save a whole lot more bloodshed, and not in our lifetime, neither mine nor yours. :(

that sucks, there's gonna be so many more problems as we progress, will they always rebel? There has to be a way to stop this. I mean isnt there an answer to all problems? :(

Barbarossa
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Looks like more Danish companies are rallying round in support of Jyllands-Posten...

http://img450.imageshack.us/img450/4518/supportdenmark4ve.jpg

j2k4
02-08-2006, 11:08 AM
There has to be a way to stop this. I mean isnt there an answer to all problems? :(

Sure is.

It's called a nuke.

That's why proliferation is the issue just now...maybe some "fundamentalist" group decides to start throwing them around...

JPaul
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
There has to be a way to stop this. I mean isnt there an answer to all problems? :(

Sure is.

It's called a nuke.

Busykev

j2k4
02-08-2006, 07:17 PM
Sure is.

It's called a nuke.

Busykev

I shall rouse no rabble before it's time...;)

JPaul
02-08-2006, 08:20 PM
Busykev

I shall rouse no rabble before it's time...;)
Heaven forfend :P

Biggles
02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
In true Monty Python fashion I see that the French have "taunted for a second time" :)

I thought the addition of an extra cartoon was a little harsh

Mohammed with head buried in his hands saying "Its hard being loved by idiots"

I fear that the French are going to be off a few ME Christmas Card lists too.

I actually feel a little sorry for the peaceful Muslim moderate who is having to watch his religion dragged through the mud by every radical nutter going whilst Europeans sit back and watch in a mixture of amusement and horrified disbelief.

How can any Iman of any standing justify the death of some Afghan farmer who has never seen the damned pictures and couldn't find Denmark on the map if his life depended on it.

JPaul
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
I fear that the French are going to be off a few ME Christmas Card lists too.

:pinch:

How many of the "radical nutter"s are angry young men looking for an excuse to vent.

Is there that much difference between them and the angry young nutters who ally themselves to the BNP.

Is there that much difference between the rabble rousers of the BNP and the rabble rousers who teach their younglings that to kill the infidel is to act in God's name.

http://indonews.free.fr/people/abu_hamsa.jpghttp://www.libcom.org/thought/manifesto/fascism/nick-griffin.jpg

Guillaume
02-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Idiots wasn't the word.

Anyway that's a few weeks old and in the mean time our dear old crookpresident has started kissing middle-eastern butts once more (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4693628.stm).:dry:

Biggles
02-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Idiots wasn't the word.

Anyway that's a few weeks old and in the mean time our dear old crookpresident has started kissing middle-eastern butts once more (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4693628.stm).:dry:

:shifty:

I may have paraphrased :)

JP where did you get the BNP pin up pic? He looks more barking than usual in that one. I think it fair to say that all bigots are the same it is just the excuse that is different.

vidcc
02-08-2006, 11:56 PM
How can any Iman of any standing justify the death of some Afghan farmer who has never seen the damned pictures and couldn't find Denmark on the map if his life depended on it.Bush was an Afghan farmer and has been killed :huh:

JPaul
02-09-2006, 01:12 AM
I think it fair to say that all bigots are the same it is just the excuse that is different.
Stereotyper.

thewizeard
02-09-2006, 09:58 AM
...I watch media pictures of flag burning, bomb throwing, over embassy roof's running, screaming Muslims, reacting over a few cartoons... The truth does not need to find itself. It just is, as it is. Is there somewhere a conflict in our world? Do you think that the Islam could be involved in it? In fact nearly 90% of all the conflicts in the world are Islam related. So whose got a problem? Yes, correct we all have.

I actually feel sorry for them and maybe this is the "jolt"that's necessary to force their quaint but rather archaic religion into the 21 century.

I believe its time to return to a matriarchal order, before these frustrated men, destroy our world. So who wants to become Mother Matriarch? Or is she chosen by acclamation?

lynx
02-09-2006, 01:36 PM
Hamas gets elected.
US & UK say renounce violence or we won't recognise you.
Rest of world says (to US & UK) accept the democratic process.
Trouble stirred up about cartoons (including many fakes) which are several months old.

Coincidence?

Afronaut
02-10-2006, 07:20 AM
riiiiight.... (http://egyptiansandmonkey.blogspot.com/2006/02/boycott-egypt.html)

Busyman
02-10-2006, 07:39 AM
riiiiight.... (http://egyptiansandmonkey.blogspot.com/2006/02/boycott-egypt.html)
Good find!!

I wonder if that's fabricated or not.

maebach
02-11-2006, 01:17 AM
I saw that site a few days ago, I cant remember where I got the link from.

Formula1
02-11-2006, 03:05 AM
this is a bit interesting..

http://www.cagle.com/news/Muhammad/1.asp

j2k4
02-11-2006, 03:19 AM

Hmmmm.

Gotta be something in there worth a good riot.

Can't find it, though; maybe I'm not sensitive enough, or too racist, or...something...:huh:

Anybody know of some Danish sites where I can get a good deal on flags?

JPaul
02-11-2006, 02:32 PM

Very good. I think this is my favourite.

http://www.cagle.com/news/Muhammad/images4/breen.gif

maebach
02-11-2006, 03:45 PM
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/120/untitled11rt.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

I agree with you Jpaul, that was my favourite too. I thought I'd clear up what I understand about muslim radicalls.

j2k4
02-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Would that it were an Islamic website...:huh:

j2k4
02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Actually, and not to be at all cynical about it, there is obviously a potential Nobel Prize in this for someone.

Jimmy Carter? Jesse Jackson?

Usama Bin Laden?

Biggles
02-11-2006, 05:46 PM
http://www.cagle.com/news/Muhammad/images3/cam.gif

This worked for me :)

JPaul
02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
There were peaceful protests in Londinium today. Those present protested against the cartoons and at the same time against the violent response to them. Seems a sensible approach and a good example of the proper use of freedom of expression.

Biggles
02-11-2006, 05:49 PM
There were peaceful protests in Londinium today. Those present protested against the cartoons and at the same time against the violent response to them. Seems a sensible approach and a good example of the proper use of freedom of expression.

It would be fantastic if the Muslim population kicked the nutters out of the mosques and we all go back to the quiet secularism that makes Europe such a fun place to live.

j2k4
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM

Oh, who cares? :P

JPaul
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Oh, who cares? :P

JPaul
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM

It would be fantastic if the Muslim population kicked the nutters out of the mosques and we all go back to the quiet secularism that makes Europe such a fun place to live.
Anglican secularism, halcyon daze.

j2k4
02-11-2006, 06:15 PM

How (something really bad) of you to say that.

How do you live with yourself?

feckin' conservatives...:angry:

:P

Biggles
02-11-2006, 06:31 PM

:snooty:

Nothing wrong with being a Liberal Conservative :blink:

thewizeard
02-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Hamas gets elected.
US & UK say renounce violence or we won't recognise you.
Rest of world says (to US & UK) accept the democratic process.
Trouble stirred up about cartoons (including many fakes) which are several months old.

Coincidence?

Not in the least..

@re: Danish Flags...at the moment they are so rare that they are being auctioned...my shares in the "Danish flag company"are doing very well indeed... Now if some newspaper in Monaco would be kind enough to release a few Muhammad cartoons, I am sure I will be able to retire in relative luxury within a few weeks...

What do you mean...blood money!?

j2k4
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Good. :)

What would I be over there, Les?

Or do you lack such an appellation?

Biggles
02-11-2006, 07:12 PM

The Conservative Party is a broad church (or so I have been told) I am sure there would a corner that would welcome you.

Actually, I can picture you in a comfy chair by the fire in the local pub have a beer with the vicar and discussing how best to get the youth of the village engaged in social issues.

The vicar quietly steering you away from the cattle prods idea with another beer. :shifty:

j2k4
02-11-2006, 07:39 PM

The Conservative Party is a broad church (or so I have been told) I am sure there would a corner that would welcome you.

Actually, I can picture you in a comfy chair by the fire in the local pub have a beer with the vicar and discussing how best to get the youth of the village engaged in social issues.

The vicar quietly steering you away from the cattle prods idea with another beer. :shifty:

Hmmm.

Nothing wrong with beer, I guess. :huh:

Biggles
02-11-2006, 07:52 PM

Hmmm.

On the other hand the UK might make you think that even a US under Hillary is not that bad.

:ph34r:

I may have taken that too far.

j2k4
02-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Hmmm.

On the other hand the UK might make you think that even a US under Hillary is not that bad.

I expect I'd prefer North Korea to Hillary.

The prospect of being under her conjures......Oh, I'm gonna puke....:sick:

If she manages to get elected President I'll be on your doorstep by January 19th of '09.

Biggles
02-12-2006, 11:57 PM

If she manages to get elected President I'll be on your doorstep by January 19th of '09.

Hillary is a tad scary I will grant you.

She reminds me of a teacher I had in primary school who had a similar glint in the eye just before she beat the bejaysus out of you ....

... this may appeal to some on Capitol Hill though :lookaroun

Will order an extra pint of milk if I hear she has won.

j2k4
02-13-2006, 02:44 AM

Hillary is a tad scary I will grant you.

She reminds me of a teacher I had in primary school who had a similar glint in the eye just before she beat the bejaysus out of you ....

... this may appeal to some on Capitol Hill though :lookaroun

Will order an extra pint of milk if I hear she has won.

You da man, Les. :)

jetje
02-13-2006, 07:37 AM
too bad all religious people forget the 1st and most important messages in all religions. -= Love peace forgiveness =-
Those are key issues, problem with religions is that the religious leaders alays try to benefit and bend words their way (in fact they're just like politicians. As long as people are not ready, willing or able to make up their own minds there will be trouble.

Too bad almost all religions have their fundamentalists. Little difference between the bible belt christians, orthodox jews and fundamental islamitic.

i like most of the cartoons. My absolute #1 is the cartoon where Mohammed sais 'stop bombing, we ran out of virgins'. It shouldn't bother anyone that mohammed is drawn, it should matter that the cartoon is saying the exact thing every religious or non religious human should mind. Stop killing innocent people and try words to reach peace and understanding...

yes i know... in a perfect world...

DanB
02-13-2006, 09:38 AM
http://www.cagle.com/news/Muhammad/images3/christo.gif

I quite liked the irony in this one (if thats the right word to use)

But surely if its on an even keel the US can now protest against Bulgaria? :unsure:

I have 200 Bulgarian flags going cheep if anyone wants one?

j2k4
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
too bad all religious people forget the 1st and most important messages in all religions. -= Love peace forgiveness =

One of the truly irritating things currently is the tendency to water down relevant commentary by referring to all religions.

We're talking about Islam, JJ, and there shouldn't be a problem excluding other religions from the conversation just now.

No need to practice political correctness, unless the Baptists get crazy...

Barbarossa
02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Islam is supposed to be a peaceful religion.

The Muslim community should be asking itself, "Why does my religion have the perception of being violent and intolerant?"

Instead, they are attacking the publishers of cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammed. It really isn't that much of a mystery, guys. :no:

jetje
02-13-2006, 01:23 PM
too bad all religious people forget the 1st and most important messages in all religions. -= Love peace forgiveness =

One of the truly irritating things currently is the tendency to water down relevant commentary by referring to all religions.

We're talking about Islam, JJ, and there shouldn't be a problem excluding other religions from the conversation just now.

No need to practice political correctness, unless the Baptists get crazy...

well this debate is about cartoons and the upset of the islamic world and freedom of speech. I recall the upsett in the 'christian' and 'jewish' world when 'The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)'and 'The Passion of the Christ (2004)' came out. No flags were burned but the upset was in a way similar.
Biggest difference is that in most of the so called 'western world' the secularisation is widely spreat. Therefor people tend to ignore a lot of these religious questions or see them in greater aspects. Education is a big influence in helping people to make their own choices. Things that are not represented well in most of the 'islamic' world. They still tend to do what the roman church tried to do in western europe for years. keep the people dumb and let them obey you. It was just after the 2nd world war that secularisation started to change the way people thought about things.

i notice it's very hard to write and think in english on these matters. So i leave it with this. ....

- When Bush sents out his troops with the words "God bless the USA" to 'liberate' the islamic replubics of Iraq and afghanistan he started a modern day 'crusade' wich was all about power and fear about the other unknown religion and their side effects (like fundamentalistic behaviour/terrorists)-

Santa
02-13-2006, 03:00 PM
The cartoonist is a naive idiot who should keep his work to toilet walls.
The editor is even more naive and should get his ass raped by a dog.
Scandinavia finally woke up from its numbness of non-ness.(and are probably sadly self impressed)
The press are enjoying the money.

Yes the muslims are forgiving and All that the muslims want is an apology,
how difficult is that..... :huh:
I spoke to many and this is all they want.

I too can get provoked over nothing if the time is right.

The sad thing is the reaction towards the cartoon justifies all the naive westerners thoughts that all muslims are violent.
As do these cartoons justify naive muslims idea that the west holds nothing sacred.

and as it stated in one newspaper -
what is worse for islam
the cartoons?
or
the beheading of western hostages in the name of islam?

j2k4
02-13-2006, 08:50 PM
well this debate is about cartoons and the upset of the islamic world and freedom of speech. I recall the upsett in the 'christian' and 'jewish' world when 'The Last Temptation of Christ (1988)'and 'The Passion of the Christ (2004)' came out. No flags were burned but the upset was in a way similar.

i notice it's very hard to write and think in english on these matters. So i leave it with this. ....

- When Bush sents out his troops with the words "God bless the USA" to 'liberate' the islamic replubics of Iraq and afghanistan he started a modern day 'crusade' wich was all about power and fear about the other unknown religion and their side effects (like fundamentalistic behaviour/terrorists)-

I wish you'd stay engaged, JJ; no need to leave, especially on a note like that.

I think you'll notice anyone who would say our escapade in Iraq has a religious component is just as likely to also say (depending on utility) that it is "just about oil, and anyone who says different is a liar".

The Last Temptation of Christ and The Passion of the Christ prompted lots of exercise of free speech (which is fine), but I framkly don't recall any talk, much less action, on the point of boycotts, flag/effigy burning, and other violence, threatened or actual.

There is no basis of comparison whatsoever.

j2k4
02-13-2006, 09:03 PM
The cartoonist is a naive idiot who should keep his work to toilet walls.
The editor is even more naive and should get his ass raped by a dog.
Scandinavia finally woke up from its numbness of non-ness.(and are probably sadly self impressed)
The press are enjoying the money.

Yes the muslims are forgiving and All that the muslims want is an apology,
how difficult is that..... :huh:
I spoke to many and this is all they want.

I too can get provoked over nothing if the time is right.

The sad thing is the reaction towards the cartoon justifies all the naive westerners thoughts that all muslims are violent.
As do these cartoons justify naive muslims idea that the west holds nothing sacred.

and as it stated in one newspaper -
what is worse for islam
the cartoons?
or
the beheading of western hostages in the name of islam?

What about free speech?

The expression you hate is that which most needs protecting.

As to the "cartoonist", I've read and heard that the person(s) responsible for dissemination of the offending artwork were purposeful in doing so, and, apart from the actual cartoons, there was included in the distribution a representation that seems to be especially inciteful...

It is a copy of a copy of a copy (apparently) of a man wearing a faux pig nose and ears, which was taken from news coverage of a truffle-hunting contest somewhere in Europe (France, one would think) where contestants were judged on their having gotten made-up to resemble swine.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with any commentary about Islam, but would have definitely been inflammatory when included with the other items, especially considering it's remove from the provident event, with the attendent image compromised by having been copied several times over.

I agree that whomever distributed these items was malign in intent, but the cartoonist's logic remains a question.