PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Silver

Vamp
02-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Right, it's pushing 42 degrees (Celcius) here in Cape Town. My CPU is running at 68 and it's threshold is 70. Time for some Thermal Paste...How much of a difference should it make?

Seedler
02-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Not too much, but you should consider getting the Artic Silver 5, what I'm using for like 10 bucks. It's probably the best thermal paste out there.

Snee
02-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Some say up to 10 degrees Celsius with AS5 or AS ceramique.

I'm not sure about that particular number, but the temperature did drop noticeably when I switched to AS5 from some generic stuff that came with my barebone.

It wouldn't hurt if you got some, but make sure you follow the instructions for it properly. If you don't, and instead put on too much of it or something, it won't work as well.

Virtualbody1234
02-01-2006, 07:45 PM
You would get better results by cleaning out the dust from the heatsink and improving the case airflow.

suprafreak6
02-01-2006, 10:32 PM
agreed, tidy up them wires and hook up a fan

ajg
02-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Seedler, is as5 better than ceramique? I heard that the conductivity of the silver can possible cause damage to the cpu, whereas ceramique doen't conduct electricity, and performs nearly as well?

clocker
02-02-2006, 01:03 PM
If all you change is the TIM I'd be surprised if you saw any change at all.
IMO, the benefits of AS5 over generic white paste are minimal and the supposed drop in temps after the 200 hour "breakin period" has never occured for me.

YMMV.

Seedler
02-02-2006, 02:09 PM
I heard that the conductivity of the silver can possible cause damage to the cpu

Nope, if you do everything right, that possibility is smaller than like winner the lottery. I use as5, and it performs well IMO. I haven't had a problem with it. If you do decide to use it though, be sure to use only a SMALL amount. More is not better in this case.:)

Snee
02-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I heard that the conductivity of the silver can possible cause damage to the cpu

Nope, if you do everything right, that possibility is smaller than like winner the lottery. I use as5, and it performs well IMO. I haven't had a problem with it. If you do decide to use it though, be sure to use only a SMALL amount. More is not better in this case.:)
It's not conductive in its own at all, the only reason it'd be conductive would be if it'd been contaminated with something else, I think.

fkdup74
02-04-2006, 01:30 AM
It's not conductive in its own at all, the only reason it'd be conductive would be if it'd been contaminated with something else, I think.

from AS's site:

Caution:
While much safer than silver greases engineered for high electrical conductivity, Arctic Silver thermal compound should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.

also from AS website:

On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period.
I might have seen around a 2 or 3 degree drop, can't remember
but definately not 10 :rolleyes: :P

I have to agree w/ clocker on this one
the 200 hour break in period, the price of the compound...
it just never justified itself

zapjb
02-04-2006, 04:22 AM
I'm quite content with the thermal pad that came with my retail amd cpu.

clocker
02-04-2006, 12:08 PM
Don't get me wrong...I use AS5, I just don't believe it's magic.
AS5 does seem to stay where it's put and I've never given a second thought to the dangers of capacitance- it's the 200 hr. "break-in" period that I've never experienced.

fkdup74
02-04-2006, 01:16 PM
AS5 does seem to stay where it's put and I've never given a second thought to the dangers of capacitance- it's the 200 hr. "break-in" period that I've never experienced.

I didn't get you wrong. You got me wrong. Get it right. :P

I wasn't trying to say it's a bad product
maybe I should have said that it didn't justify the hype....

Duffman
02-04-2006, 02:42 PM
The 200 hour break in is there way of saying "not working? uh its still breaking in, CPU needs to run for 200 hours", *200 hours later, Man this cpu is hot I should get a fan or some AS or something....

lynx
02-04-2006, 03:41 PM
AS5 does seem to stay where it's put and I've never given a second thought to the dangers of capacitance- it's the 200 hr. "break-in" period that I've never experienced.Have you ever left a cpu for 200 hrs without stripping it down for one reason or another? :P

fkdup74
02-04-2006, 04:06 PM
AS5 does seem to stay where it's put and I've never given a second thought to the dangers of capacitance- it's the 200 hr. "break-in" period that I've never experienced.Have you ever left a cpu for 200 hrs without stripping it down for one reason or another? :P

probably not :P

clocker
02-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Hey now.
Be nice.

Although, to be honest, the answer is "probably not".

suprafreak6
02-04-2006, 07:35 PM
lol

clocker
02-04-2006, 09:15 PM
Won't make it anytime soon either....just bought an Opteron 148 so the trusty old Winnie goes bye-bye in three days.

Snee
02-06-2006, 08:17 PM
from AS's site:

Caution:
While much safer than silver greases engineered for high electrical conductivity, Arctic Silver thermal compound should be kept away from electrical traces, pins, and leads. The compound is slightly capacitive and could cause problems if it bridged two close-proximity electrical paths.

also from AS website:

On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period.

Odd, I could have sworn it used to say it wasn't conductive, on that site :blink:

lynx
02-07-2006, 12:06 AM
from AS's site:

Caution:
also from AS website:

Odd, I could have sworn it used to say it wasn't conductive, on that site :blink:It isn't conductive, but it is capacitive. That means it won't allow a current to pass but it will transmit a signal, which is almost as bad with high frequency cpu circuits.

Snee
02-07-2006, 07:31 PM
So I was right, and I was wrong.

Science FTW.