PDA

View Full Version : AOL and Yahoo put price on e-mail

peat moss
02-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Companies will soon have to buy the electronic equivalent of a postage stamp if they want to be certain that their e-mail will be delivered to many of their customers.

America Online and Yahoo, two of the world's largest providers of e-mail accounts, are about to start using a system that gives preferential treatment to messages from companies that pay from a quarter of a cent to 1 cent each to have them delivered. The Internet companies say this will help them identify legitimate mail and cut down on junk e-mail, identity-theft scams and other scourges of users of their services.

:source: Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/02/05/business/email.php

Virtualbody1234
02-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I heard about this a very long time ago. It was a hoax.

twisterX
02-05-2006, 06:51 PM
Legitimate mail. sure just more money.

And like business use that shitty aol mail. :lol:

they have their own mail servers. :lol:

Hairbautt
02-05-2006, 07:05 PM
I like gmail, all the way. Its just organized very good & its free with 2600MB+

RealitY
02-05-2006, 08:43 PM
This is just silly...

Filliz
02-05-2006, 10:17 PM

Exactly.

Barbarossa
02-06-2006, 11:30 AM
It's being reported by the BBC too now. :unsure:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4684942.stm

4play
02-07-2006, 04:12 AM

Exactly.

firms might start using these services because it will make phishing harder. This also has nothing to do with other companies mail servers. They can either pay a fee for their email to be authenticated and deliverd or thrown in a bulk mail folder.

would this not make sense for say a bank, ebay or paypal to use to cut fraud ?

The problem is it will need to be widely accepted both senders and receivers or its just gonna fall flat on its arse.

I really dont see anyway this is actually gonna stop spam though.

peat moss
02-14-2006, 02:23 AM
Update : http://news.zdnet.com/Stamp+of+approval+for+e-postage/2100-9588_22-6038781.html?part=netscape-zdnet&tag=mynetscape&subj=technews

twisterX
02-14-2006, 04:14 AM
Exactly.

firms might start using these services because it will make phishing harder. This also has nothing to do with other companies mail servers. They can either pay a fee for their email to be authenticated and deliverd or thrown in a bulk mail folder.

would this not make sense for say a bank, ebay or paypal to use to cut fraud ?

The problem is it will need to be widely accepted both senders and receivers or its just gonna fall flat on its arse.

I really dont see anyway this is actually gonna stop spam though.

i relize what you are saying and companies WILL NOT pay. :happy:

so little aol and yahoo can go a fuck off. :01:

skyblitzer
02-27-2006, 03:37 PM
Legitimate mail. sure just more money.

I was waiting for somthing like this to happen, being charged for emails, it's jus a matter of time. Think about it, we get charged for sending text messages on our phones. Having said that, we pay for our ISP's so I guess it is out of order.

tapsomebong
03-02-2006, 03:24 AM
so what your saying is that if we don't pay for our mail to be sent then there is no guarantee that the mail will be sent?? i guess we will be looking forward to having the same email sent twice

Buffalo
03-04-2006, 01:40 AM
Sounds a bit like Royal mail first class stamp mail service!
First class but not guaranteed to arrive the next day,
A item has to be sent special delivery now for first class

It would not surprise me if AOL did do a stunt like this,
but like said, just a hoax

Tempestv
03-04-2006, 01:45 AM
time to send out gmail invites to all my yahoo and aol friends

peat moss
03-04-2006, 02:07 AM
AOL Offers Olive Branch to Non-Profits :

http://www.betanews.com/article/AOL_Offers_Olive_Branch_to_NonProfits/1141415901

Buffalo
03-04-2006, 03:36 AM
This is realy nothing more than AOL already offers to it's members
And it's just the same old plot to get AOL mentioned, a cheap way of getting publicity.
If you are a AOL member & use their software just click in Marketing preferences no I do not wish to receive

I remember a couple of years ago the battle between AOL & Microsoft,
It came to the stage where AOL operators could not even talk about the issues with Microsoft & outlook etc ~ AOL at the time was blocking ports so AOL members could only use AOL software for sending mail.
In the last two years AOL have became a good ISP and opened the doors to how it should be.
The issues with mail still go on and I just cant see why AOL are so infatuated in this part of the market.
the spam controlls of AOL became a big mess last year, and legal action was taken.
But now all sorted, not a problem to report.

peat moss
03-04-2006, 04:27 AM
Well it certainty is a great advert for Thunderbird email client no ? I see little spam in my email myself but in a working environment it can be very time consuming ,shfting thru B.S. to get to the stuff that matters .