PDA

View Full Version : Got a letter from my isp, who was contacted from paramount, should I be scared??

foodforthemoon
02-06-2006, 02:45 AM
Totally dumb,

I downloaded this movie called the Machinist, which was poor in quality and I only managed to watch about 10 minutes of before I lost interest and deleted it. I just don't get into movies that much I guess. Then I got a letter from my isp threatening that I would lose my internet connection if I cont'd did something like it again. Is this common. I mean I am far from a frequent offender. Should I quit all together. Have any of you gotten these letters? Any and all advice greatly appreciated

Virtualbody1234
02-06-2006, 03:51 AM
Change your ISP.

ganesh8
02-13-2006, 10:19 AM
next time download an isp blocker... so that your isp is hidden....

Barbarossa
02-13-2006, 11:02 AM
VB has the answer. Who is your ISP by the way?

thewizeard
02-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Totally dumb,

I downloaded this movie called the Machinist, which was poor in quality and I only managed to watch about 10 minutes of before I lost interest and deleted it. I just don't get into movies that much I guess. Then I got a letter from my isp threatening that I would lose my internet connection if I cont'd did something like it again. Is this common. I mean I am far from a frequent offender. Should I quit all together. Have any of you gotten these letters? Any and all advice greatly appreciated

Some networks are closely observed by RIAA type organisations.. IP blocks are helpful, but probably gives a false sense of security... and also bad luck about the film being of inferior quality too.. Perhaps it's time , if you wish to continue file-sharing, to check out some of the private servers on the OpenNap networks?

thefallout
02-14-2006, 03:55 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine who said he was contacted by his ISP. Supposedly they told him they would turn off his internet if he used bittorrent again. I pretty sure he hasn't touched it since.

twisterX
02-14-2006, 04:57 AM
You could use BT legally you know, To download linux and stuff.

Virtualbody1234
02-14-2006, 05:06 AM
I was talking to a friend of mine who said he was contacted by his ISP. Supposedly they told him they would turn off his internet if he used bittorrent again. I pretty sure he hasn't touched it since.
Why be held hostage by a company that you're paying? Let them disconnect the service. They lose money by doing that. As I said above, just change providers.

Our cash speaks louder than you people give it credit. If we all cancel our service every time our ISP contacts us regarding filesharing, do you think they will continue for long? I certainly don't think so.

LegendaryU2K
02-14-2006, 05:39 AM
I dont download movies, i just buy them on VHS, thus cheap prices. Yes, i still use VHS, and sometimes i do buy dvd's, like the smallville series.

Now i do download smallville shows, just for sharing some clips, thats about it. Other then that, i buy my movies, its really the best way to go.

thewizeard
02-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Why be held hostage by a company that you're paying? Let them disconnect the service. They lose money by doing that. As I said above, just change providers.

Our cash speaks louder than you people give it credit. If we all cancel our service every time our ISP contacts us regarding filesharing, do you think they will continue for long? I certainly don't think so.

Sorry, but I must correct you here, if you are found
downloading illegally obtained copywrited files, then most ISPs are perfectly within their rights, to disconnect you and still require you to pay your monthly fees, untill the end of your contract...
:(
...nevertheless the writing is on the wall...

muchspl3
02-14-2006, 10:58 AM
who the hell has a "contract" isnt everyone month to month?

ch@os
02-14-2006, 10:59 AM
some isp's already stop bit torrents as i found out when i tried to use azureus.
talktalk.net in the uk doesn't allow it at all, though bit torrents are not illegal.

Virtualbody1234
02-14-2006, 01:22 PM
Exactly what I was going to say.

That's just another fine example where people let themselves be pushed by their ISPs. If everyone insisted to pay month to month then there wouldn't be any contracts.

Again, check around for a provider that will offers month to month.

some isp's already stop bit torrents as i found out when i tried to use azureus.
talktalk.net in the uk doesn't allow it at all, though bit torrents are not illegal.There must be some providers that will allow bittorrents.

thewizeard
02-14-2006, 01:42 PM

..most adsl and cable connections, are normally, a one year contract.. in Europe. In fact that is the case for most ISPs.