PDA

View Full Version : Cars, cars, cars...

Duffman
02-08-2006, 12:59 AM
Ok so who knows a lot about cars, I got into an accident, got the radiator out, its fine, turns out there was hose problems not rad problems, I got a new upper hose, gonna see about the lower one tomarrow. The only problem is that the tranny has two hoses that go into the radiator too, and I had to cut them off because the just would not come off. Now I might not be able to get these except over priced and from the dealer. Would it be alright if I just bypasses the radiator and put one hose onto the other. I know the car is fast and meant to go fast, but I just need work/school and minor coffee and smoke runs, so I just bypassed it and didn't drive excesivley fast would it kill the tranny.

Proper Bo
02-08-2006, 01:01 AM
and didn't drive excesivley fast would it kill the tranny.

only if you don't run him/her over:pinch:

JPaul
02-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Ok so who knows a lot about cars, I got into an accident, got the radiator out, its fine, turns out there was hose problems not rad problems, I got a new upper hose, gonna see about the lower one tomarrow. The only problem is that the tranny has two hoses that go into the radiator too, and I had to cut them off because the just would not come off. Now I might not be able to get these except over priced and from the dealer. Would it be alright if I just bypasses the radiator and put one hose onto the other. I know the car is fast and meant to go fast, but I just need work/school and minor coffee and smoke runs, so I just bypassed it and didn't drive excesivley fast would it kill the tranny.
You're fine, carry on as is.

HCT
02-08-2006, 03:40 AM
what car is it?

Afronaut
02-08-2006, 08:54 AM
what car is it?

I bet its Fiat Punto

Barbarossa
02-08-2006, 10:28 AM

No.

BigBank_Hank
02-08-2006, 05:06 PM
You absolutely cannot drive the car without the transmission lines hooked up to the radiator. The transmission pumps oil through the radiator to keep the oil cool so it doesn’t over heat the transmission. As long as the car is running there will be oil pumping through those lines so if you disconnected them and tried to drive it would pump all the oil out and burn up the tranny.

If you decided to half ass repair the car now it will only lead to problems further on down the road. Repair it correctly and you’ll definitely save money in the long run.

Mr. Mulder
02-08-2006, 05:10 PM
The only problem is that the tranny has two hoses

:glag:

Gripper
02-08-2006, 05:30 PM
The only problem is that the tranny has two hoses

:glag:
Hemaphrodite???:lol:

Chewie
02-08-2006, 09:01 PM
Driving an automatic with the transmission cooling disabled is a very bad idea.
Fix it first.

JPaul
02-08-2006, 09:51 PM
Ignore them, they're taking the piss. The hose by-passing the cooling system is fine. Just don't drive too fast and keep an eye of the temperature gauge.

Virtualbody1234
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Ignore them, they're taking the piss. The hose by-passing the cooling system is fine. Just don't drive too fast and keep an eye of the temperature gauge.
Does he have a temperature gauge for the transmission? If not then there would be no use to keep an eye on the engine temp.

I think it's best to get the proper hoses and fix it right the first time.

We still don't even know what car we're talking about anyway.

JPaul
02-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Does he have a temperature gauge for the transmission? If not then there would be no use to keep an eye on the engine temp.

Do you like the taste of hooks or what.

If he by-passes the cooling system for the transmission he's a feckin' idiot and deserves all he gets.

Does he think the designer decided to cool the transmission fluid for a larf. I think not.

Oh and it really doesn't matter which type of car he has.

Virtualbody1234
02-09-2006, 12:43 AM

If he by-passes the cooling system for the transmission he's a feckin' idiot and deserves all he gets.

Does he think the designer decided to cool the transmission fluid for a larf. I think not.

Oh come on... Just admit you learned something. There isn't a temp gauge in the tanny.

DanB
02-09-2006, 12:49 AM

Oh come on... Just admit you learned something. There isn't a temp gauge in the tanny.

how about in the tranny? (oh err missus)

JPaul
02-09-2006, 12:51 AM

Yup, fair point. I am now aware that the "tanny" is sans temp gauge.

Prior to this thread I was ignorant of that fact.

Formula1
02-09-2006, 01:06 AM
My favorite car is the mclaren f1. I hope to one day get a bmw m3 one day though.

I nearly got a seizure from seeing this.
http://members.shaw.ca/spudnewt/sierranaked.jpg/badluck.swf

BigBank_Hank
02-09-2006, 01:13 AM
There are vehicles equipped with transmission temp gauges but those vehicles are mainly used for towing or hauling heavy loads. That’s about the only ones that I’ve run across.

I hate it when people do stupid shit like this to their cars and then bring them to me to fix and then bitch because it’s so expensive.

JPaul
02-09-2006, 01:16 AM
There are vehicles equipped with transmission temp gauges but those vehicles are mainly used for towing or hauling heavy loads. That’s about the only ones that I’ve run across.

I hate it when people do stupid shit like this to their cars and then bring them to me to fix and then bitch because it’s so expensive.
So you would be a mechanic then, BigBank

BigBank_Hank
02-09-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes sir.

Duffman
02-09-2006, 02:21 AM
yeah i decided to not half ass it, im gonna 3/4 ass it, I can't afford 2 new lines so im gonna hack those up and and get some tubing to go over the broken hoses and clamp it good.