PDA

View Full Version : Disk Defragmentors

ObiWan
04-22-2003, 07:04 PM
what disk defragmentor would u recommend for windows XP as the built in one is shit.

wolfman10_2000
04-22-2003, 07:09 PM
I this Diskeeper is an excellent Defrager especially for WinXP B)
Try it out, and make sure you get the full version.
You can get it under Kazaa or get it at www.download.com make a search.
after that all u have to do is get a crack ;)

McGee
04-22-2003, 08:57 PM
I tried Diskeeper workstation, fuxed up my comp horribly, had to do 2 quick reformats and the problem didn't go away, so I had to do a dos format. There are some other defragmenters that work good, too, but I lost the ones I had before I reformatted.

Lamsey
04-22-2003, 10:08 PM
I tried Diskeeper workstation, fuxed up my comp horribly,
Diskeeper is an industry leader because of its reliability and effiecincy. Your problem was probably due to a corrupt download.

Diskeeper is the best. Do a search for "Diskeeper 7 by saajid" - this version works perfectly.

McGee
04-22-2003, 10:11 PM
Will do.

DarthInsinuate
04-22-2003, 10:25 PM
haven't tried this Diskeeper, but Norton Systemworks' Speed Disk does the job for me

it's 4 times faster than the windows ME defragger, you can also choose which files go at the front of the drive and which ones go at the end (eg. stick the the swap file at the front)

wolfman10_2000
04-22-2003, 10:51 PM
I tryed Speed Disk its pretty fast but does'nt finish the job :)

Schuler
04-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Do as Lamsey says. I just finished out my trial run with Diskeeper 7 (and may i say it works beautifully) and within minutes I was searching for non trial version on Kazaa. I downloaded the one he talks about and now I'm up and running again. Works perfectly.

Grim
04-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Not sure about this but does'nt DiskKeeper run in the background?, taking up MORE system resources.
I use VoptXP, it's fast & has other utilities built in.

http://goldenbow.com/

fook_mi
04-23-2003, 06:53 AM
'DONT FORGET TOO MUCH SH*T AND DEFRAGGED TO MANY TIMES CAN F*CK YOUR PC UP'
tankyou

toddiscool
04-23-2003, 07:26 AM
One thing about diskeeper, if you don't like it, or for some other reason you remove it. After you will notice that the windows defrag utility is gone!! Makes for a fun format.

N£MO
04-23-2003, 07:47 AM
Diskeeper Lite is what i use...less resourceful then the full version and none of that auto defrag crap,thats what pissed me off about the full version.

skelley521
04-23-2003, 07:56 AM
Executive Software (maker of diskeeper) made the "base" for microsofts XP defrag.
When you install the full version of diskeeper it will take over as the default defragmentor.
You can un-install and tell windows to recognize the original program as the default without re-installing the O.S.
You can also get diskeeper lite for free and still have the option of both defragmentors; just a small questioner to fill out and you can download directly from their site.
Nortons speed disk made my XP system very unstable and buggy.
I prefer diskeeper and have it installed on all of my puters'.

jojolite
04-23-2003, 03:09 PM
I recomment "O&O Defrag Professional".Any comments?

RedRival
04-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Where do you get Diskeep from??
And can someone give a clearer explanation on the part where Diskeep actually removes the Windows original disk defragment component?? :rolleyes:

Livy
04-23-2003, 03:26 PM
http://www.executive.com/diskeeper/diskeeper.asp

edit direct link workstation edition
http://www1.execsoft.com/us_dk70_wkstr.exe

RedRival
04-23-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm downloading Diskeeper 7.0 SE atm, but I do wanna know what will happen to my original disk defragmenter after i install diskeeper. And, if ever I do uninstall diskeeper, how do I restore the original one that comes with Windows.

@Livy
I see that Diskeeper 7.0 SE download there is a evaluation copy, is there a crack for that on Klite. If there is, I wouldn't mind a hash :lol: .

Livy
04-23-2003, 03:34 PM
there prob one somewhere, try searching on klite or on your favorite crack site.

ck-uk
04-23-2003, 03:40 PM
u can get diskeeper off kazaa
just enter Diskeeper 7 by saajid in ur search box

it don't remove it as such there the same program ,windows native
defragmenter is just a striped down version.
Like it don't defrag page file and directory's and it cannot b scheduled
will it can but u would have to write and schedule a batch file to use
the command line version defrag.exe

basicly it just add them feature i said above and a few more like set priority and boottime defrag if u want to put directory's and page file at the front of the drive :)

ObiWan
04-23-2003, 05:36 PM
i'm downlading diskeeper now

thanx for the replys

random nut
04-26-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@23 April 2003 - 08:26
One thing about diskeeper, if you don't like it, or for some other reason you remove it. After you will notice that the windows defrag utility is gone!! Makes for a fun format.
I uninstalled Diskeeper today and I still have the old (crap IMHO) windows defrag program. Try defrag from the command line if you can't get the UI version (compmgmt.msc)

random nut
04-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by McGee@22 April 2003 - 21:57
I tried Diskeeper workstation, fuxed up my comp horribly, had to do 2 quick reformats and the problem didn't go away, so I had to do a dos format. There are some other defragmenters that work good, too, but I lost the ones I had before I reformatted.
I installed Diskeeper 7 about 7-14 days ago and everything seemed to work fine. Until a couple of days ago when I couldn't access my F: partition as a limited user (non-administrator). I had to change back the permissions on my F: drive. Today I couldn't log on as my limited user. It was gone! Luckily all files were still there so I searched my user name in the registry and replaced all paths in it to my old user's path (C:\documents and folders\blah blah). I have now uninstalled this software.

I had Diskeeper running in the background ("set it and forget it" I think the option was called), but don't know if that was the reason it fucked my computer up a couple of times. I did a fresh install of WinXP Pro about 2 weeks ago, and all this started happening after installing Diskeeper.

the-ninja69
04-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Executive Software Diskeeper 7.

It is the best no doubt. It is the fastest and is very effective.

ObiWan
04-27-2003, 02:14 PM
Got Diskeeper 7 installed and it works great :)

what is the difference between the server and workstation edition
(i think i have the server edition)

bulio
04-28-2003, 05:04 PM
what does a disk defragmentor do? (yes im a noob) and how do you add your avatar to your name?

ObiWan
04-28-2003, 07:06 PM
a disk defragmentor grous to gether each file on the disk

when you save a file it goes to the first free area and writes as much of the file as it can there it then goes to the next free area (or sector) and writes the rest of the file.

a disk defragmentor sorts the files so that it uses contiuous sectors the reduces the amout of disk movement so speeds up the computer

poppa smurf
04-28-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jojolite@23 April 2003 - 16:09
I recomment "O&O Defrag Professional".Any comments?
Another vote for O&O best bar none.

south-paw
04-29-2003, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by wolfman10_2000@22 April 2003 - 23:51
I tryed Speed Disk its pretty fast but does'nt finish the job :)
Never had any problems with Norton Speed Disk myself, its fast as the proverbial off the shovel ;) Definitely advantages in being able to place your swap files at the front too. What else fragments your files more than K-lite? ;)

random nut
04-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by south-paw@29 April 2003 - 05:40
What else fragments your files more than K-lite? ;)
Any other p2p program?

ck-uk
04-29-2003, 08:35 AM
  Definitely advantages in being able to place your swap files at the front too. What else fragments your files more than K-lite? 
m8 what advantages?
If al ur files and drives r defragmented regularly, u want notice an increase in performance(file access).

Besides u could use diskeepers boot-time defrag,which will put the page file and dir to the first avalible free space at the front. :) :)

SeattlePC
05-21-2003, 11:59 AM
Anyone Looking for Diskeeper Workstation v7.0.428 Second Edtion Retail

PM ME

Great Defragmentation utility, Yes I have used Norton's SpeedDisk as well as O & O Defragmenter. But Overall I am satisfied with Diskeeper, it gives me results. XP Home/PRO OS defragmenter IS Diskeeper Lite. Enuff Said. The Full Version is like on Steroids. First Defrag takes time, Subsequent Defrags are a BREEZE

Use it, :D , you don't like go back to the original, it's that easy

Sholix
05-21-2003, 02:27 PM
SeattlePC were you speaking figuratively about Diskeeper Lite and those other progs?

N?MO, where did you find your copy?
I keep getting no files found when I search for Diskeeper Lite. :angry:

AND: What is/are the difference(s) in the 2 editions, workstation and server?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

DarthInsinuate
05-21-2003, 02:31 PM
i d/l diskeeper lite from download.com - tried it, seems to not really make things much faster, probably because my hard disk doesn't fragment much
one thing i did notice though was that it makes a evil thrashing noise, like it was eating my hard drive, so i got rid of it

aintgottime
05-21-2003, 05:43 PM
Disk Keeper is cool. Only problem is I cant do anything else with the system while its running. A system that hadn't been defragged for 6 months took 2 and half hours to defrag. Any one else have these problems?

ck-uk
05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by aintgottime@21 May 2003 - 18:43
Disk Keeper is cool. Only problem is I cant do anything else with the system while its running. A system that hadn't been defragged for 6 months took 2 and half hours to defrag. Any one else have these problems?
M8 U can set the level of priority of diskeep while runnin' in the
action menu at the top...the amount of time to defrag really depends on the size of ur drive and specs. :) :)

SeattlePC
05-21-2003, 09:07 PM
Very basically put, Diskeeper is a defragmentation tool

Diskeeper Lite is built-in as the default defragmentor for Windows XP Home and Pro (It was free, and called "Lite" for a reason)

The Improved and Better version is any other Diskeeper, get it?

Server: Used in Business settings to defrag more than 1 PC
(Windows NT/2000/XP)

Workstation:Used in Home Or Business for only 1 PC :D
(Windows 95/98/Me/XP)

This Program costs about $29.00 US if you bought it from the company

The Latest version out as of 5/21/03 is Diskeeper Version 7 Build 428

PM me, and I will send you a link to download a full, retail copy about 12mbs

:P IF you want to know more info, use GOOGLE and type EXECUTIVE SOFTWARE
(the company that makes diskeeper)

Sholix
05-22-2003, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty much sold on diskeeper, but I'm concerned about it's effect on the rest of my system.

Thanks Darth, I'm skipping the 'lite' version.

Are there complete instructions to prevent it taking over my system?
Is it easy to change the settings?
Heck! Does it have to be set to run in the background, or can it be programmed to run at timed intervals, like the windows defragger?
Can I prevent it from becoming the 'default' defrag program?

I'm not worried about time coz I do a defrag and scan, every 2 weeks. And I know these are a lot of questions, but you have one nervous female here, who doesn't want to lose 'control' of her machine. :(

zapjb
05-22-2003, 01:04 AM
Raxco PerfectDisk is the best. I also use O&O Defrag Pro every 2-4 months for their complete access defrag which is the most thorough defrag IMO but takes hours.

Pistolpete
05-22-2003, 07:46 AM
I use Power Defrag by E-Technik.You can check them out at http://www.powerdefrag.com. It's better than the xp one(but then again isn't everything)but against the others I don't know.I will leave that for the more technically minded.

DarthInsinuate
05-22-2003, 11:08 AM
i was gonna try Raxco and O&O but neither support ME :(

zapjb
05-22-2003, 11:31 AM
DarthInsinuate, I know you've heard this before. Get rid of ME. You'll be much happier with XP corporate. :)

m8t
05-22-2003, 12:39 PM
:D
hello Sholix !
no it does'nt take over your system, i've been using it for ages. it doe's what you instruct it to do.go to tool bar click onto VIEW and you can pick and choose your settings. i don't have "set and forget" running in the back ground, as it will "sort of take over" if you are doing video editing etc and your pc does'nt have much ram. it will maybe slow things down,so i do a manual defrag when i decide to. your system defrag is still there as always, but as mentioned it's only LITE compared to full edition. i've never had one once of trouble with diskeeper 7.
regards
m8t :D

Sholix
05-22-2003, 05:41 PM
Thank you all so very much.
It's nice to find such a helpful, patient group of ppl here.

Now don't be surprised if you get tired of me and my questions.
Just tell me gently to 'go away'
when I start to get on your nerves. B)