PDA

View Full Version : Newshosting.com

AcID ZeR0
02-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Do they throttle your account after a while as i used to be hitting 1meg download speed now it's like 300kb/s.

Damnatory
02-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Do they throttle your account after a while as i used to be hitting 1meg download speed now it's like 300kb/s.
Nope, they haven't for anyone that I know of using Newshosting. The only one that I've heard of throttling is Giganews.

Have you checked their site? They are currently having troubles with comcast cable customers, is that your ISP?

Edit: Also, have you started using 8 connections rather than 4? They used to only allow 4 connections with unlimited accounts, but after the upgrade to 40 days retention on binaries, they allowed 8 connections. It seems as though they allow more connections, but allow less bandwidth per connection now.

AcID ZeR0
02-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Hi Damnatory, nope I'm with Blueyonder.

Twas getting 1200kb/s download speed about 3 days back, with 8 connections. haven't changed ANY settings since now the speed is lingering around 300-400kb/s very strange. I assume this is a peak time for downloading so I'll wait a little while before decided upon a next step.

All my speed tests read 10meg or there abouts and I'm downloading from other sites at about 1100kb/s.

gntim
02-13-2006, 04:19 PM
Nope, they haven't for anyone that I know of using Newshosting. The only one that I've heard of throttling is Giganews.

Have you checked their site? They are currently having troubles with comcast cable customers, is that your ISP?

Greetings all. This is my first post in this forum; although I've been lurking for a while.

Giganews does not throttle customers in any way. There have been numerous threads on this topic in other forums along with many end users confirming that there is no Giganews capping or throttling.

From time to time there may be issues with a customer's ISP. This is usually due to congestion with the ISP itself and is not isolated to Giganews. Some ISPs will also rate limit NNTP traffic in general (primarily non-US ISPs). You may also want to get up to date on "Net Neutrality (http://news.com.com/Tech+firms+assail+proposed+broadband+rules/2100-1036_3-5942508.html?tag=nl)" if you suspect service specific limiting from your ISP.

In a few forums customers were reporting slowness when coming from the Comcast network. Again, this may happen from time to time depending on congestion on Comcast's network (especially since they only have one backbone vendor).

I have investigated Comcast speed issues with our support team and have confirmed that we are not getting reports from Comcast customers relating to throttling of NNTP traffic or slowness in general.

As always you can test your download speeds with Giganews by using our Usenet Download Tester (http://www.giganews.com/performance.html).

Good luck,
Tim
Giganews, Inc.

Damnatory
02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Greetings all. This is my first post in this forum; although I've been lurking for a while.

Giganews does not throttle customers in any way. There have been numerous threads on this topic in other forums along with many end users confirming that there is no Giganews capping or throttling.

From time to time there may be issues with a customer's ISP. This is usually due to congestion with the ISP itself and is not isolated to Giganews. Some ISPs will also rate limit NNTP traffic in general (primarily non-US ISPs). You may also want to get up to date on "Net Neutrality (http://news.com.com/Tech+firms+assail+proposed+broadband+rules/2100-1036_3-5942508.html?tag=nl)" if you suspect service specific limiting from your ISP.

In a few forums customers were reporting slowness when coming from the Comcast network. Again, this may happen from time to time depending on congestion on Comcast's network (especially since they only have one backbone vendor).

I have investigated Comcast speed issues with our support team and have confirmed that we are not getting reports from Comcast customers relating to throttling of NNTP traffic or slowness in general.

As always you can test your download speeds with Giganews by using our Usenet Download Tester (http://www.giganews.com/performance.html).

Good luck,
Tim
Giganews, Inc.
No offense, but I can recognize a hard limit when I see it. In an interest to keep this an on topic discussion, I'll leave it at that.

As for the Comcast issues, I was refering to Newshosting posting about an issue with comcast customers, sorry if you misunderstood me.

Acid Zero- Have you found a resolution to your problem, or still having difficulties.

gntim
02-13-2006, 08:27 PM
[/QUOTE] No offense, but I can recognize a hard limit when I see it. In an interest to keep this an on topic discussion, I'll leave it at that.
[/QUOTE]

Definitely don't want to get things off topic, but if you want to PM me and give an example of a hard limit you feel you've experienced I'll be happy to investigate.

You can read more about capping here (http://forum.newzbin.com/viewtopic.php?t=8477&highlight=capping).

Thanks,
Tim

LikesWine
02-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Acid Zero...it has to be on your end. :(
I've got 8 open and still at 700 kb/s.

linuXshock
02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
as far as i know Newshosting doesn't limit the downstream in anyway, that is why im still their customer.
With 8 connections and 1200KB/s downstream...its still going strong.
Few times it gives me connection errors or articles won't be found on the server do to dome problems on their side,but if you visit their site it will tell you if they are having any kind of problems or upgrades.

The Legend
02-18-2006, 03:31 AM
As Newshosting are now owned seemingly owned by Highwinds Media expect some changes over the next few months that could lead to more retention or keener pricing.

RealitY
02-18-2006, 09:08 AM
As Newshosting are now owned seemingly owned by Highwinds Media expect some changes over the next few months that could lead to more retention or keener pricing.
Interesting news...

psxcite
02-18-2006, 03:11 PM
GNTim, there have been reports (from people on IRC and forum posts) where people who have had 400 or 500 gigs downloaded in a month, find their speed throttled or account terminated. I have used Giganews in the past and did break that barrier a couple of months. Never had it happen to me personally, but the threads on newzbin are very intereseting...

I think the only reason I stopped using Giganews, was due to the fact I was afraid it would happen one day. I loved the service. Never have I had to use a par2 on a post from Giganews.

zero66
02-19-2006, 10:06 PM
newshosting has been great to me. 2.9 of 3mb all the time for the past year

sawman1
02-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Try different ports... I was using 7000 and it got slower and then I tried 9000 and the speed got faster...

gntim
02-20-2006, 05:04 PM
GNTim, there have been reports (from people on IRC and forum posts) where people who have had 400 or 500 gigs downloaded in a month, find their speed throttled or account terminated. I have used Giganews in the past and did break that barrier a couple of months. Never had it happen to me personally, but the threads on newzbin are very intereseting...

I think the only reason I stopped using Giganews, was due to the fact I was afraid it would happen one day. I loved the service. Never have I had to use a par2 on a post from Giganews.

I've also been reading the Newzbin forums and the posts you're referencing are quite old. I'm not sure what was causing the problems for specific users in the past, but please rest assured that we are not capping our end users.

The whole reason I turned from a lurker to a poster on these forums was to help dispel that rumor. Many people have responded in various forums to back this up with usage stats of 2TB and higher. If you (or anyone else) has any problems with what appear to be caps please email support@(remove)giganews.com ASAP so we can help isolate the problem.

Please note that we do not support news servers of any kind using the unlimited accounts. Using the unlimited account to support a Pull feed or caching server is a violoation of our TOS. Also, account sharing is strictly prohibited. Many of the original posts on this subject related to people sharing unlimited accounts or feeding a news server.

Outside of that thanks for the kind words on our service. I hope you get the chance to try it out again.

Thanks,
Tim
http://www.giganews.com

MultiForce
02-20-2006, 07:53 PM

I've also been reading the Newzbin forums and the posts you're referencing are quite old. I'm not sure what was causing the problems for specific users in the past, but please rest assured that we are not capping our end users.

The whole reason I turned from a lurker to a poster on these forums was to help dispel that rumor. Many people have responded in various forums to back this up with usage stats of 2TB and higher. If you (or anyone else) has any problems with what appear to be caps please email support@(remove)giganews.com ASAP so we can help isolate the problem.

Please note that we do not support news servers of any kind using the unlimited accounts. Using the unlimited account to support a Pull feed or caching server is a violoation of our TOS. Also, account sharing is strictly prohibited. Many of the original posts on this subject related to people sharing unlimited accounts or feeding a news server.

Outside of that thanks for the kind words on our service. I hope you get the chance to try it out again.

Thanks,
Tim

Just have to say I love the speed and retention on the giganews servers and have now 2,085.5 GB downloaded from 06/26/2005. Everything I have started have been succesfully downloaded. Not the cheapest but with the retention you have it is worth the money for me because I download alot of different things and not just the "new & hot" stuff.

Keep up the good work and I'll be a loyal and happy customer for a looong time :D

top25
02-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Thanks,
Tim

Its great that you showed up here gntim because i was actually thinking of going back to newshosting at the end of this month but i have used giganews
for 6 month's now and the service is excellent i have downloaded up too 652.51 in one month and was gonna try and grab 1TB each month for 2 months to see if anything would happen so i could help dispel what people think about giganews here.I see in your post that you say some people have grabbed up too 2TB with no problems.So i feel more better now that i can leech like i want too and your service is truly unlimited as www.newshosting.com states,keep up the great work and i hope too be a customer for along time if the service continues too be as great as it is now.

RealitY
02-20-2006, 10:47 PM
The folks at GigaNews have asked us to also become affiliates with them and seems this will happen soon. We would be offering GigaNews for Members and Guests here at FST along with some addition Usenet services. It appears those signing up with GigaNews through the site here will also get special promos. The additional Usenet services will be through PowerUsenet at $14.95 per month who have the same quality service as GigaNews for completetion and reliability with a retention of 40 days. This will all most likely take place in a week or so. Of couse we will remain affiliates for NewsHosting as well who have been flawless for us and have provided great service also. Ultimatly this will give Members and Guests of the site more options to choose...

top25
02-21-2006, 02:53 AM
Sounds good thanks for the news RealitY.

4play
02-22-2006, 03:21 PM
@ acid zero try http://status.zensupport.co.uk/exchanges/ checking to see if your exchange is overloaded or not. i was getting terrible speeds during peak times because my local exchange was due for an upgrade. havent had any problems since bt upgraded it.

jwmc1971
08-20-2006, 01:24 AM
sorry TIM , but the fact you work for giganews isnt much comfort to anyone here...ive had giganews for 3 years now and in the last 4 months atleast me and 3 freinds on differenty isp's around the USA have noticed you guys limit how fast we d/l heaqders . The d/l speed is as fast as our isp can go , (1.5 meg a sec ) , but my d/l header speed is on 130 to 300 K a sec!! ive been thru all your test's and you guys blame my isp ( brighthouse) , but what about cox and comcast ??? they doin' the same thing?? only throttling headers, huh?!?! BS my man ...BS !! i guess its your way of slowing power users down . BTW , when i use roadrunners server only , my header d/l speed is 1.5meg ..go figure . and theirs is free with paid service , ha ha !

mesaman
08-20-2006, 02:53 PM
If header speed is such an issue, BNR2 can download headers for a group using multiple threads, as many as you want.

digitrifecta
08-23-2006, 04:36 PM
I have been with Newshosting for quite a while now and I have never experienced cap, I have 10mb down and 1mb up from charter and NH keeps my pipe maxed out at around 1- 1.1MB/sec 24/7 :) I use NBPro or NZB-O-Matic. Newshosting's unlimited plan is insane..

@ReaLity Wrote
If you signup with NewsHosting you can support
the site here at FST by using our refferal link at
http://www.newshosting.com/?a=51500