PDA

View Full Version : Beowulf

johnq86
02-12-2006, 10:09 PM
i need some help form anyone who has read the book beowulf and even better if you have ever written a paper on this book.i need to write a paper on this question.....How does Beowulf reflect the feudal relationship between the king and his nobles in the early middle Ages?................anyone have any help for me???please i am in a very big writers block mode:frusty:

Mr. Mulder
02-12-2006, 10:16 PM
i need some help

:o

DorisInsinuate
02-12-2006, 10:18 PM
I've sent my donation via credit card, I hope those kids get all the help they need.

enoughfakefiles
02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Have you tried torrentspy :unsure:

johnq86
02-12-2006, 10:33 PM
torrentspy for what?

hobbes
02-12-2006, 10:40 PM
Just turn in a copy of the 13th Warrior.

JPaul
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
There's a Star Trek - Voyager episode about it.

Cheese
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
I have an audiobook of the poem read by Shamus Heaney somewhere round.

Mr. Mulder
02-12-2006, 10:55 PM

yeah, me too. its orsum to the max.

JPaul
02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Poetry Chav

hobbes
02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
Poetry Chav

Beowolf >> burberry.

JPaul
02-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Poetry Chav

Beowolf >> burberry.
Again with the "u" problem.

Snee
02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
i need some help form anyone who has read the book beowulf and even better if you have ever written a paper on this book.i need to write a paper on this question.....How does Beowulf reflect the feudal relationship between the king and his nobles in the early middle Ages?................anyone have any help for me???please i am in a very big writers block mode:frusty:
I'll tell you what: If you write me good a thesis about common elements within dystopian plots, it needn't be longer than, oh, 35 pages, and you write me a decent program in object pascal, needn't be anything fancy, just make sure it can import stuff from an xml document, and ouput it into another, I'll do your homework for you.

'k?

Biggles
02-12-2006, 11:47 PM
It is unclear what you are trying to do. Beowulf is an epic poem of the Norse Germanic tradition. It is Dark Ages material rather than Middle Ages Feudalism and specifically refers to events circa the 6/7th century in Denmark.

One could constrast and compare the fealty shown by Dark Ages warriors to a High King with the much more formal land based requirements of Feudalism but I am not sure if that is what you are trying to do.

The warrior class of the Dark Ages essentially worked for their kin Chief or perhaps even the High King. This was a direct relationship whereby the King supplied meat, drink and weapons.

Feudalism was on a larger scale with the King siting in Government. The Lords and Knights actually administered the land with the Serfs working the land for the local Lord. A Dark Ages king had direct contact with his warriors whereas under Feudalism if things were quiet a king might not see his Lords for years on end.

So, in short, the relationship between warrior and king during the Dark Ages was very personal whereas under feudalism it was administrative and impersonal. This can be seen in the poem where Beowulf's family are beholden by the kindness and generosity of their king and where Beowulf feels honour bound to serve him. This can easily be described through reference to Beowulf's father (Ecgtheow) and the heroic actions of Beowulf in serving the king who was kind to his father (Hrothgar) and fighting the monster (Grendel).
.... Presumably you will read the poem (rather you than me)

Feudalism was actual a bit of a dull grind, largely concerned with growing cabbages and keeping books (and burning the odd heretic). Poems like Beowulf and the tales of King Arthur, both from an earlier warrior caste society, fuelled the high Middle Ages love of romanticism and chivalry. In that sense Beowulf did have a part in forming a view on who the people in the Middle Ages thought they were. The Lords might be kicking Serf butt to get more cabbages but in their hearts they were Beowulf.

Might be best to ignore the last paragraph. :lookaroun

At least that is my opinion.

JPaul
02-13-2006, 12:05 AM
I'll tell you what: If you write me good a thesis about common elements within dystopian plots, it needn't be longer than, oh, 35 pages, and you write me a decent program in object pascal, needn't be anything fancy, just make sure it can import stuff from an xml document, and ouput it into another, I'll do your homework for you.

'k?
Seems fair.

JPaul
02-13-2006, 12:07 AM
It is unclear what you are trying to do. Beowulf is an epic poem of the Norse Germanic tradition. It is Dark Ages material rather than Middle Ages Feudalism and specifically refers to events circa the 6/7th century in Denmark.

One could constrast and compare the fealty shown by Dark Ages warriors to a High King with the much more formal land based requirements of Feudalism but I am not sure if that is what you are trying to do.

The warrior class of the Dark Ages essentially worked for their kin Chief or perhaps even the High King. This was a direct relationship whereby the King supplied meat, drink and weapons.

Feudalism was on a larger scale with the King siting in Government. The Lords and Knights actually administered the land with the Serfs working the land for the local Lord. A Dark Ages king had direct contact with his warriors whereas under Feudalism if things were quiet a king might not see his Lords for years on end.

So, in short, the relationship between warrior and king during the Dark Ages was very personal whereas under feudalism it was administrative and impersonal. This can be seen in the poem where Beowulf's family are beholden by the kindness and generosity of their king and where Beowulf feels honour bound to serve him. This can easily be described through reference to Beowulf's father (Ecgtheow) and the heroic actions of Beowulf in serving the king who was kind to his father (Hrothgar) and fighting the monster (Grendel).

Feudalism was actual a bit of a dull grind, largely concerned with growing cabbages and keeping books (and burning the odd heretic). Poems like Beowulf and the tales of King Arthur, both from an earlier warrior caste society, fuelled the high Middle Ages love of romanticism and chivalry. In that sense Beowulf did have a part in forming a view on who the people in the Middle Ages thought they were. The Lords might be kicking Serf butt to get more cabbages but in their hearts they were Beowulf.

Yeah, be glib, that's helpfull.:angry:

Biggles
02-13-2006, 12:14 AM

:ph34r:

Sorry

JPaul
02-13-2006, 12:22 AM

:ph34r:

Sorry
Too late, they've all read it now. :frusty: