PDA

View Full Version : BitTorrent All Users: Please Enable Encryption!

LaMaOne
02-15-2006, 08:53 AM
To all BitTorrent users:

Please enable encryption if your client allows

After much tinkering and frustration at my ISP installing packet shaping for all P2P traffic, I have found that a way round it is to enable protocol encryption if your client allows it. It only works if both ends of the connection are enabled in this way so this is why I'm asking all users to enable it, even if your ISP hasn't started packet shaping/throttling yet.

To the best of my knowledge, it won't impact your connection if you are not being packet shaped, but for all us that are it will help a great deal.

Packet shaping is coming more and more common as the forums here will tell you.

As of right now, (only) the following clients support encryption:

[last updated March 11th 2006]
-uTorrent 1.5
-Azureus 2.4.0.0
-BitComet 0.63

[last updated April 3rd 2006]
I have found some helpful snapshots showing how to enable encryption in each of the 3 compatible clients...

µTORRENT 1.5.0.0

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7964/utorrent8vi.jpg

BITCOMET 0.63

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6822/bc0iz.jpg

AZUREUS 2.4.0.2

First, you'll have to switch to Intermediate mode to make the encryption settings visible.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5282/azu16gy.jpg

Then you can set your settings as shown below.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3292/azu24yl.jpg

Below are links to the official client sites explaining the various different settings.

This will tell you Azureus users all you need to know:

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping#The_settings

The above link will take you directly to "how to enable encryption", but I recommend reading through the entire page anyway. It's an interesting read and will explain it far better then I can.

And for uTorrent 1.5 users, all you need to know:

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Does_.C2B5Torrent_support_Protocol_Encryption.3F

Thanking you all in advance.

Together, we can beat the evil of packet shaping!

bhatti00
02-15-2006, 09:50 AM
encryption would slow down your upload/download not speed it up!

LaMaOne
02-15-2006, 10:51 AM
You are wrong.

Please re-read my above post.

Usage of encryption results in a huge speed improvement.
I consider 10x huge.

Ofcourse, that's because I am a throttled user.
If I don't use encryption. My ISP can see I'm transfering bittorrent traffic, and I'm throttled to 1kb/s speeds.

I'm not the only one either. With me are perhaps tens of thousands of other throttled people, worldwide.

Imagine the speed gain if all these people and everyone else were to use Encryption.

Edit:
Please, just read this page of the Azureus wiki:
http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping

BsX
02-15-2006, 11:06 AM
yes it will huge speed improvement for ppl that are cap of there ISP.
I have no problem with it but when i enable encryption it is way slower.
And the server i use have not the options.
So please them me to keep the speed the same and then i willthink about it.

4play
02-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Im waiting for your isp to start limiting sending of large amounts of encrypted data now.

the fact your sending encrypted data to multiple sources instantly gives it away that its bittorent traffic. If you where using sftp, https or a vpn it all goes to one source.

If all the major clients start using this expect it to become useless soon.

Mļcrösöül°V³
02-16-2006, 04:31 AM
I think its only encrypted headers or something like that, not totally encrypted data files. I think. i turned it on a few days ago, and my speeds are just where they are always at. works fine

RealitY
02-17-2006, 09:06 AM
Seems this an interesting feature for the BT community. Cant see it in theory slowing traffic for those that enable it but can clearly understand why it could increase traffic for those that are throttled. If this were to become commonly used not sure how those that throttle would deal with it. At the very least this could keep a step in front of the issue for now.

Some Quotes:

Over the months we have been getting more and more complaints from our users about their ISPs blocking BitTorrent downloads, often rendering Azureus (and BitTorrent in general) completely useless to them. Naturally, some sort of protocol encryption has been one of the top feature requests, which we have obliged, since people should be free to choose which programs to use, not their ISP. This is crucial for the health of the BitTorrent community as a whole, as more and more ISPs shut out their users arbitrarily.

With plain BitTorrent connections the peers engage in an easily recognizable protocol handshake when setting up a connection for data transfer. End-to-end encryption inserts an initial handshake which is not easy to recognize (it appears to be random data) and allows a secret key to be shared between the peers. This secret key can then be used to encrypt the subsequent BitTorrent protocol, thus securing both the recognizable regular handshake and the following data stream.

Detecting a file-sharing protocol is easily recognized by specific byte patters (in this case the BitTorrent handshake.) Yet if this handshake is encrypted to appear as little more than random data, Packeteer and its ilk may become powerless.

We really don't know what measures ISPs will attempt to counter the encryption, if at all. It's likely much easier to just filter connections based on actual usage than on particular protocol identification. All we can do is release and see what time will tell.

With the rollout of Azurues 2.4, expectations and anticipations are running high on both sides of the debate. Azureus 2.4 will represent the first large scale and wide spread useage of this brave new concept, and will settle much of the debate on its effectiveness. Which side the debate settles on however, will be answered soon enough.

Think this should be pinned for at a while least...

LaMaOne
02-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you RealitY, for stickying this topic and for quoting the Azureus interview regarding Protocol Encryption (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1098) at Slyck.com

Also, for those interested, there's the uTorrent interview regarding Protcol Encryption (http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1083).

Speaking as a shaped user, I hope more people will soon start to realize the importance of enabling encryption.

asymvivastos
02-20-2006, 11:40 PM
What about the other 2 options for allowing non-encrypting incoming/outgoing connections??

jeep23
02-25-2006, 06:43 PM
How do you know if your a shaped user?

Woozle
02-25-2006, 11:11 PM
If you have to ask, then you haven't been affected. :P You'll have little/no bt speed if your isp has implemented network shaping.

tree_for
02-27-2006, 04:18 PM
encryption would slow down your upload/download not speed it up!
dont blabber around without reading up the stuff, encryption has been around for months now, its a proven fact that it overcomes traffic shaping/throtlling!

BitComet was the first[correct me if I'm wrong], but left other clients out, so now uTorrent and Azu have a something going together so they came with their own encryption stuff! now its BC's time to get a treatment of its own!

limbeck6
03-01-2006, 03:33 PM

You're download speeds will be significantly lower.
If your not sure if your isp is packet shapping, then they probably are not.
It's an overt thing, you'll notice.

Tempestv
03-03-2006, 03:25 AM
I tried to do this
I am using Azureus, ANd followed the instructions exactly, except that there is nothing under connections to click related to encription
Before you ask, I tried it in basic, intermediate, and advanced modes

What should I do now?

SpArKy044
03-10-2006, 01:04 AM
I'm not sure about other BT clients but version 1.5 of uTorrent will allow encrypted and legacy connections.

erRor67
03-10-2006, 01:22 AM
@sparky004, If you are using Azureus, uTorrent or BitComet, you have encryption support (all three are compatable with each other)... I think those three clients are it too..

@Tempestv: You sure u are using the latest version? I havnt used Azureus in a long time but the option should be there.. no hidden too.. perhaps is only in the latest beta builds?

LaMaOne
03-11-2006, 03:24 AM
I tried to do this
I am using Azureus, ANd followed the instructions exactly, except that there is nothing under connections to click related to encription
Before you ask, I tried it in basic, intermediate, and advanced modes

What should I do now?

Do the following to enable encryption in Azureus 2.4.0.0 (and above)...

To enable the encryption you have to switch to intermediate user mode and go to Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Transport Encryption and enable the Require encrypted transport checkbox.

If you really can't find it there...
Then you are not running Azureus 2.4.0.0
I've just tested this myself.

By the way, there is a bug in Azureus 2.4.0.0, thats causing LOTS of hash fails for users with an encryption-compatible client (ie. other Azureus 2.4.0.0, µTorrent 1.5 and BitComet 0.63 users)
However, this bug has been fixed in Azureus version 2.4.0.1 (which is currently in beta/cvs I think)
It is rather important that all Azureus users update their clients again, so I hope the new fixed stable release will follow soon.

dummy1only
03-15-2006, 02:59 AM
no speed loss here from encryption. can still max my line with good seeders.

im set for encypted and non, we must support our brothers who are throttled.

skamaria
03-16-2006, 06:46 PM
encryption neither helped nor hindered my speed but i am certainly happy to help the throotled masses ...

darkforce
03-19-2006, 05:04 PM
no speed loss for me either (µTorrent) and also willing to help my fellow throttled friends

Skiz
03-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I see the links in the original post for how to enable encryption for both uTorrent and Azureus. Is there an instructional link for BitComet?

j0hn
03-20-2006, 03:44 PM
its only available (or compatible with other clients at least) in bitcomet 0.63. previous versions are not compatible with azureus or µtorrent. im sure there will be a guide on the bitcomet homepage

LaMaOne
03-21-2006, 09:31 AM
Since I have never used BitComet before (nor do I ever plan to) I do not know how to enable encryption in BitComet 0.63

I checked out the official BitComet website's FAQ and Help page.
Unfortunately it does not mention anywhere how to enable encryption.

If someone cares to tell me, or point me to a site with instructions on how to do this, I will gladly update the original post with this information.

potterharry
03-29-2006, 07:43 PM
I just enabled my encrypiton for uTorrent.

the_base_head
04-03-2006, 04:08 PM
im just about to enable encrytion for azureus even though im not shaped by my ISP. In that link to the azuerus wiki http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Avoid_traffic_shaping#The_settings

which level is it necessary to go to to help throttled users? is level one, plain encryption enough?

LaMaOne
04-03-2006, 05:30 PM
@the_base_head..
No, in my case plain encryption is not enough... only RC4 offers sufficient encryption.
So its best to go for Level 2 as explained in Azureus' wiki. Which is enabling RC4 encryption but still maintaining all incoming/outgoing compatibility with not compatible (old and shitty) clients

I have found some helpful snapshots showing how to enable encryption in each of the 3 compatible clients...

BITCOMET 0.63

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/6822/bc0iz.jpg

uTORRENT 1.5.0.0

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7964/utorrent8vi.jpg

AZUREUS 2.4.0.2

First, you'll have to switch to Intermediate mode to make the encryption settings visible.

http://img93.imageshack.us/img93/5282/azu16gy.jpg

Then you can set your settings as shown below.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/3292/azu24yl.jpg

Nickthestick91
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Just enabled it in Azureus. :) Don't know why I caught this post so late though. :unsure:

fortwunty
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
I don't see how encryption would slow things any. It's not like decrypting a line of text takes up bandwidth or anything... or am I missing something here? I haven't experienced any slow-downs whatsoever. On popular torrents, such as TV shows, I regularly get 200kb/s+ and I am still getting those speeds now that I have enabled encryption (obviously only on private trackers, public ones are too clogged). Maybe I'm just lucky or something.

JPaul
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM
I use BitTornado. It doesn't appear to be an option for me.

manker
04-11-2006, 11:29 AM
I use BitTornado. It doesn't appear to be an option for me.
Have a look at uTorrent, mate. It's the future. Previously, I wouldn't consider using anything other than ABC but uTorrent seems to have just as many features - except it doesn't crash.

I enabled encryption a month or so ago and altho' my speeds are unaffected (I always got decent speeds anyhow), my ISP doesn't randomly disconnect me any more.

forteagle
04-13-2006, 11:25 AM
i use encryption and have no speed has not decreased

obs0lete
04-16-2006, 04:20 PM
I have encryption enabled and have never notice any speed differences...

limpingjaret
04-17-2006, 01:44 AM
If you find that your bittorrent downloads are rather sluggish, your ISP may well be throttling your bittorrent traffic, this is not port filtering but rather packet filtering...here is a list of confirmed bitorrent throttlers

http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/Bad_ISPs

With so many throttlers and many more that are slated soon to follow in the US, torrents are getting the bad end of the stick...thankfully there is something everyone can do to prevent this and it's built right into azureus :D This method encrypts the bitorrent packets and renders it very hard if not impossible for ISP's to decipher

http://torrentfreak.com/how-to-encrypt-bittorrent-traffic/

horia
04-17-2006, 06:13 AM
this sticky (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=111654) has the same topic so this is kind of a duble thing...

thewizeard
04-17-2006, 06:17 AM
..and encryption slows things down...

RealitY
04-17-2006, 06:26 AM
In this case its minimal if any and if you make more connections with it than speeds may be faster actually...

j0hn
04-17-2006, 07:30 AM
ive been using encryption on µtorrent 1.5 since they released it, about 6 weeks ago.
i havent noticed even the slightest difference in my speeds, at all.
i max'd out my connection before, and after enabling encryption.

it can actually speed up ur downloads/uploads in some cases, as users who ARE throttled by their isp, who also have encryption on, will then be able to seed/leech to u, when they couldnt without the encryption.

encryption can slow ur transfer rates slightly (nothing u would notice, at all) but for most ppl it wont, or if it does, they dont notice.

MXFileSharing
04-18-2006, 03:15 AM
ive tried it and it works for me.

flipper321
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
Excellent - just changed this on my PC and has improved things significantly - looks like I was been throttled before..

usmangujjar
04-21-2006, 02:08 AM
ive turned encryption on (utorrent 1.5) and have not noticed a speed decrease so am happy to leave it on for the community!
usman

22ji
05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
enabled

rejaul2005
05-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Hi i enabled my PE and its a big difference i got maximum speeds but....

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME CHOOSE THE BEST PORT NUMBERS TO USE IN MY UTORRENT CLIENT???, I HAVE SPEEDTOUCH MODEM 330 AND TISCALI 1MB BROADBAND.

PS. HOW DO I MAKE THE PORT NUMBERS IN MY CLIENT AND WITH THE WINDOWS FIREWALL???

THANKS

erRor67
05-18-2006, 01:03 AM
You can forward your ports on your router here: http://www.portforward.com/

As for windows firewall, there should be a setting to allow programs to have access. Just add in your programs. However, I suggest disabling windows firewall and using a 3rd party firewall as those are waaaaaaay better (ie, something like Zone Alarm, sygate or outpost).

Lastly, dont type in caps. Not good. :) ;)

Rsync
05-18-2006, 07:05 AM
Done thx.

hiepdn
05-24-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks, my speed seem faster than before..

p3r3s
05-25-2006, 08:53 PM
Hehehe... This feature is the traffic-shapping ISPs new nigthmare. ;)

ellis101
05-29-2006, 09:50 AM
hey peeps when i enable it seems to go slower sometimes + does anyone know if NTL are doing traffic-shapping?

kinson7
06-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Been using it for a while now, its helped now and then. Either way, it doesn't make my download speeds slower.

all in all, go BT ! Help the community :D

Kinson

isopimp
06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Just enabled it. Havnt noticed any speed changes on my end but I hope it helps someone less fortunate.

warfab
06-14-2006, 11:46 PM
Have enabled encryption on both utorrent and azureus clients but I haven't seen any speed increase (or time for max speed for the torrent to be reached decreased).

lambsbreath
06-17-2006, 01:54 AM
Hi folks, just joined... first post...
To be honest, I never gave enryption a thought, but after reading the thread, I decided to enable mine too, even though my speeds are not throttled by my I$P. Haven't hopped on a torrent to test the speeds yet, but don't suspect to have any probs. Thanks for the advice!

hisamrain
06-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Thank you

snakex
06-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Utorrent works great with encryption.

wannagames
06-25-2006, 02:12 PM
Done.

encryption turned on.

irascible
07-02-2006, 01:30 AM
encryption turned on today, prior to reading this post... however, there were alot of good points and it makes sense that speeds would increase if everyone used encryption.

Thanks

xbuix
07-04-2006, 04:07 AM
RC4 encryption with azureus has been enabled for some time now, the major points in this thread clearly emphasize the importance of it..

freudian slip
07-08-2006, 11:50 AM
enabled... my isp doesnt throttle, and havent noticed any drop in speed.
It makes no difference to me if my d/l is a few kb slower as a result... if it makes a big difference to those that are throttled, then that's good!
:D

wukka
07-12-2006, 04:18 AM
In utorrent encryption, what is the difference between "enabled" and "forced"?

Does "forced" mean that a connection only occurs if encryption is on at the other end too?

phatphuk
07-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Lucky my isp is p2p friendly, but i got encryption turned on anyhow, with no loss of speeds. Just wish the mule mod i favour would implement it...

jimbo7
07-14-2006, 03:55 AM
how much does encryption slow down a connection if shaping is not being employed?

j0hn
07-15-2006, 12:01 AM
in my case, not at all. according to those that designed it, not at all. only some paranoid ppl, or ppl on windows 3.1 486 machines think it makes a difference to speed. it uses a tiny bit more ram, that on any pc made in the last 5 years wont notice. if u have an interest in sharing, enable encryption, so those that are being shaped can get round it.

also, if u enable encryption, it means u can download from traffic shaped users too. isps are also shaping their upload traffic.

jimbo7
07-17-2006, 06:42 AM
snakes!

mirkocosta
07-18-2006, 10:07 PM
i dont understand very well but there are some incompatibilities between encrypted clients and not-encrypted? I read the faq but since my english is not good... ^_^ anyway i've enabled encryption, speed is the same.

fishfriend
07-25-2006, 05:31 PM
how much does encryption slow down a connection if shaping is not being employed?

well, in theory, it'd slow it down to the rate at which your computer can process the encryption, which for most folks, is going to be much greater than the rate at which your computer can pass traffic.

however, if you're encrypting your stream and only accepting other encrypted connections, then the max speed you can achieve is going to depend on how many other people are using encryption.

your best bet is probably to turn it on and see what happens -- you can always turn it back off.

noia3
07-26-2006, 04:59 AM
is good :D

dhartung02
07-29-2006, 10:15 PM
if it helps the torrent community ill put encryption. Thats what its all about is helping each other and sharing the wealth!

troublie
08-12-2006, 12:23 AM
here its encrypted a long time ago.. hehe

wrobcio
08-14-2006, 01:49 PM
yope thanks for info, wanted to do it but couldnt find :) very usefull

ccp3
08-14-2006, 05:39 PM
thanks for the tip

acid777
08-17-2006, 03:37 PM
If torrent sites start insisting on it - people will do it, untill then i dont think many people will bother!

j0hn
08-17-2006, 10:25 PM
thats way off the mark
i have encryption enabled for the sake of others, as my isp does not traffic shape.
utorrent tells me if the person im connected to has encryption enabled. the majority of seeds/peers i connect to have encryption enabled.

those with enough sense to read up on protocol encryption have enabled it, as they will have read that even if they are not being throttled themselves, turning it on will let them download from throttled users, who otherwise they wouldnt be able to.

in short, enabling encryption wont slow u down. it can though, increase ur speeds, if ur throttled or not.

acid777
08-18-2006, 03:34 AM
sorry i thought it would cut down your connections to only people with encryption enabled. If it's going to benefit others i'll give it a go

coppercox
08-20-2006, 05:31 PM
enabled encryption also....speeds were much faster than usual for smaller seed groups....hmmm...maybe just my imagination....

oo3
08-25-2006, 11:21 PM
I just enabled it on utorrent. It seems about the same for me. Maybe just a tad slower, but it could be because people started leeching on another seed.

nORE
08-26-2006, 01:49 AM
hmm.. interesting i immediately turned it on :) thanks for the information

Neva
08-26-2006, 12:11 PM
What about the other 2 options for allowing non-encrypting incoming/outgoing connections??
If you enable those options it allows connections in/out with those clients that are not USING encrypting. This will generally speed up your downloading speeds so it should be enabled(not all bt users are using encrypting).

wanderlust
08-26-2006, 04:19 PM
I use uTorrent latest (1.6 atm) and Azureus latest (2.5.0.1_B2 atm) and have both with encryption enabled, but compatibility for older clients enabled too.
I also use safepeer in AZ, and regularly download the blocklist for uTorrent. Gives just that extra bit of security without the extra resources required by Peer Guardian or similar.
(I use the clients on separate machines, BTW ! - And am lucky enough to use an ISP that does not appear to throttle BT in any obvious way. I DO change my ports from time to time, and mostly keep in the high ranges. Most private trackers do not allow common P2P ports in any case. Most private ttrackers of which I am a member ban BitComet for not being a fair sharing client, and older versions of uTorrent and AZ because of cheat mods. Bit Tornado is only useful for those who only share one or two files at a time. If you are going to share more than that, then uTorrent and AZ are equals in my eyes - AZ if you've got a reasonable fast and modern machine, uTorrent if you are short on resources....)

Pr1nc3
08-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Enabled it when I replaced BitVomit with uTorrent couple of months ago. Since then, my u/l and d/l speeds max out!

smeghead
08-31-2006, 12:18 PM
yup, my client is azureus and spent 2 weeks last year after getting broadband fekin aboot with upnp settings and the like only to find that if I enabled encryption it circumvented the packet-shaping that my ISP had only just implemented, b£$%ards. Anyway I have had excellent torrent speeds for well over a year and enable encryption by default whenever I have to re-install or transfer to new HD.
I do however also use the option for unencrypted connections. I do find the majority of connections use encryption but for ones that don't, it does affect my d/l u/l speed if I don't enable this setting.

Anyone see Bram Cohen's proposal on encryption and shaping?

from http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/77097

Bram Cohen's Cache Dreams

Pushing caching idea on ISPs to avoid traffic shaping

Posted on 2006-08-08 09:25:06 by Karl

Bram Cohen and the Bit Torrent boys are tired of simple geek adoration, and are eager to profit from their creation. As such, the company has been trying to strike deals with legitimate content developers and the RIAA/MPAA. For this reason, they're obviously not thrilled that ISPs are throttling all Bit Torrent traffic, as the throttles don't care whether Bit Torrent traffic is legit or not.

Users are getting around the traffic shaping by changing ports and employing clients that use encryption, something Bram Cohen argued wasn't the "solution" back in January. This isn't Cohen's preferred solution, clearly, because it ruins the company's financial plans. Cohen, eager to get on the right side of ISPs, has been selling the idea of caching Bit Torrent content to ISPs in order to reduce network strain.

"We spent an extraordinary amount of time face to face with the largest ISPs in the world who now see anywhere between a third and up to 70% of all their traffic in the BT protocol," recently stated Bit Torrent CEO Ashwin Narvin. "[We’re] trying to convince them there’s a better way to manage the BitTorrent protocol then to limit it and to shape it."

Their caching solution, implemented in the latest Bit Torrent client release, utilizes the "Cache Discovery Protocol” developed in cooperation with Cachelogic. The protocol makes it easy for ISPs to detect the most popular torrents, cache the data, and seed the torrent.

One obvious problem is that ISPs certainly won't be caching pirated content, which makes up the majority of Bit Torrent traffic. To control this traffic, they'll almost certainly continue to lean on traffic shaping - which leaves Cohen and company in a considerable quandary.

-- Not intend to start Bram bashing have seen enough of that on forums to last a lifetime, just curious as to what people think of the idea, and what the future holds for encryption as a means to beat shaping.

zaguar
09-10-2006, 08:42 AM
How much does encryption currently affect the download speed of uTorrent?

j0hn
09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
thats way off the mark
i have encryption enabled for the sake of others, as my isp does not traffic shape.
utorrent tells me if the person im connected to has encryption enabled. the majority of seeds/peers i connect to have encryption enabled.

those with enough sense to read up on protocol encryption have enabled it, as they will have read that even if they are not being throttled themselves, turning it on will let them download from throttled users, who otherwise they wouldnt be able to.

in short, enabling encryption wont slow u down. it can though, increase ur speeds, if ur throttled or not.
read that

waterloo
09-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Yea, i enabled (not forced) encryption as soon as it was implemented in µtorrent even though my isp does not throttle p2p traffic. Speeds weren't affected at all.

nizrulesall
09-11-2006, 03:55 AM
ive enabled it as well and havent noticed any detriment to my dl/ul speeds :)

kg9689
09-11-2006, 04:00 AM
how do oyu enable encrytion in BitComet or should I update to uTorrent or Azureus?

nizrulesall
09-11-2006, 04:07 AM
You should change to uTorrent 1.6 or Azureus :)

Pr1nc3
09-18-2006, 05:55 AM
You should change to uTorrent 1.6 or Azureus :)

I agree.

Though consider this when choosing between Azureus and uTorrent: if your computer (windows) bulks out of memory (2 GB and up) go for Azureus, if not, your choice shall be uTorrent.

aliEnRIK
09-24-2006, 12:54 PM
well ive done it ~ not really tested it as yet but if something major happens ill be letting yas know ;)

Invites_4_You
09-25-2006, 01:13 AM
I did it and haven't noticed anything at all.

emanon
10-02-2006, 07:15 PM
So, is all traffic encrypted or just the header information?

If all traffic is encryptet i can't understand why speed is the same. If it same tech as on encrypted ftp then when enabling encryption of the data stream speed is reduced ALOT.

j0hn
10-02-2006, 07:26 PM
if u read this thread, u'll see that pretty much everyone who has turned it on has noticed 100% no slowdown, and alot have found increases

lightshow
10-03-2006, 10:16 PM
For the fellow above using BitComet, the lastest version supports encryption. So you don't have to switch if you don't want to.

BitComet is my choice and I have encryption on

InspiredMind
10-06-2006, 03:45 AM
I don't believe my ISP limits torrent speeds. Hope not!! Although not entirely sure how to tell... except perhaps calling them and after waiting for up to 30 mins on the phone, asking if they do or not. Any kiwi's reading this know if slingshot limits torrent speeds?

Anyway... turning on encryption now --- if it'll help other's and not negatively affect my torrent speed I'm happy to assist.

omgwirjo
10-09-2006, 12:55 PM
Alright, I turned it on - not much difference in speeds though...

chicus
10-11-2006, 01:53 PM
nobody use this ^^

tupacker
10-12-2006, 11:52 PM
Thanks for the tips

cjcw_06
10-13-2006, 01:32 AM
I had been using this prior to reading this post and can confirm that it does help your speeds, but probably only when your ISP is shaping traffic/ports.

asthagar
10-14-2006, 10:37 AM
encryption enabled Thanx

Time Lord
10-17-2006, 02:54 PM
nobody use this ^^

What you mean, this helps users who have assh*le ISP`s who try and throttle them and lots of peopl use this!!!

chicus
10-17-2006, 03:50 PM
if the trackers obbligate users to use it, it can be verry good !

safa
10-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Enabled

hdooga
10-25-2006, 02:16 AM
done :P

doogie88
10-28-2006, 02:26 PM
thanks

deyer
10-28-2006, 05:21 PM
done :naughty:, and thanks

stanford
11-05-2006, 08:49 AM
My ISP blocks traffic as well. Darn!

Done!

desdes
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
thanks for that!

cooldude75ph
11-07-2006, 11:50 PM
Didn't notice any change with encryption turned on...

CableGuy
11-08-2006, 01:47 AM
helps alot

kavalchuk17
11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
done. everyone should do this because it will increase your upload speed too.

ofir365
11-09-2006, 08:46 PM
thanks

EmpozX
11-09-2006, 09:16 PM

It will only increase your upload speed if your isp use some kind of traffic shaping

gamer4eva
11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Everyone should enable it even if they notice no change so then others who are wanting to notice change can because they are able to connect to encrypted peers or something like that.

j0hn
11-10-2006, 03:21 AM

It will only increase your upload speed if your isp use some kind of traffic shaping

thats not true
if the person ur uploading to is being throttled, then both of u enabling encryption will allow them to download faster (therefor u upload faster).
it works the same with downloading. even if ur not being throttled, if u enable encryption, u can then download from throttled users (their upload can be throttled too). this will increase ur download speed, even if ur not being throttled.
enabling encryption is a win-win situation.

tdoar
11-12-2006, 05:21 PM
i will do it (as should all of us) just to be ready for when all ISPs start thtrotling P2P speeds

sibyy
11-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Well for some reason I've started experience really slow speed since last week. I've just enabled encryption after reading this article and will post my findings soon :).

Even if I don't see any change I will leave it on.

syD
11-13-2006, 08:41 AM
i've been using it for a few weeks now and speeds are fine, so i'll just leave it enabled... other users can benefit from this, and for me it dont matter so much

switchtrey
12-03-2006, 07:25 AM
simple solution: change ISP !!!

worgent
12-04-2006, 11:59 PM
Please share is there certain ISPs who are rolling out these 'caps'? Or is it a regional thang?

fred861
12-09-2006, 10:16 AM
--

Rayn0r
12-10-2006, 05:49 AM
yeh i'm a bito a noob... so like... doing this will allow other people who connect with my client to "Sneak pass" and make their ISPs think that they're just downloading a webpage or summin other than P2P... correct?

j0hn
12-13-2006, 12:33 PM
pretty much
allows them to upload to u quicker too, so even if ur not throttled it can speed u up enabling encryption

ejile
12-16-2006, 05:06 AM
Well I enabled it
Cant really see a difference, but if it helps someone I guess ill be kind of happy

eleplex
12-16-2006, 07:21 AM
me to enabled it!

faresalandlos
12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
i will try it

thanks in advance

teddytora
12-30-2006, 11:56 PM
Done, although my ISP doesn't throttle. BTW is there some sort of datbase listing ISP's who are known to shape? Might you useful for people thinking of switching ISP's

j0hn
01-04-2007, 03:16 AM
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

gamer4eva
01-06-2007, 02:35 AM
All ISP that do any form of throttling suck....end of discussion.

tooon
01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
done it

sammeke288
01-09-2007, 07:28 PM
did it :)

cuchulain78
01-18-2007, 03:19 PM
Ive been using encryption for a while now and see no performance degradation on the big trackers.

EFS
01-19-2007, 05:50 AM
I will do , Thanks lol :geptard:

Sickfit
01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
Thanks for this super helpful advice. Nice wiki link too.

mbucari1
01-25-2007, 04:57 AM
bellsouth is cheep and pretty fast (for those in the usa and in bellsouth's area)

euitwa
01-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Just enabled encryption on both my boxes...hopefully this will help anybody downloading from me (I'm not throttled on either connection).

srfchsr
01-27-2007, 01:59 AM
Does it help to enable it but still accept unencrytped traffic? Or should everyone only accept encryted transfers?

pjnsmb
01-28-2007, 06:02 PM

have a read of this page
my I.S.P is on the list -I use uTorrent and encryption and it works for me !

benayai
02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
thanks very useful!!

dodlie
02-09-2007, 11:31 PM
ok its enable thanks

TorrenTy
04-08-2007, 07:13 AM
does this applay to seedbox utorrent client as well?

phantom
04-08-2007, 05:56 PM
I'm very lucky... my ISP is very good from this point of view... don't limit me... :)

does this applay to seedbox utorrent client as well?

I don't think that beacuse seedbox's is dedicated for download and upload... not metter what kind... ;)

das31
04-10-2007, 09:54 PM
ty

dedlikeoscar
04-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I've had mine turned on for a while now and I haven't noticed any problems or slowdown.

maynard
05-01-2007, 03:33 PM
There is no reason to encrypt if the ISP is not traffic shaping i gues..

luckee
05-02-2007, 06:15 AM
I have utorrent 1.6.1

To enable encryption in that, you click on options/speed guide & there's a box to tick.

randomguy321
05-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Running Transmission on Mac OSX, wondering if anyone knows if it supports encryption. Not shaped myself, but want to support the community.

thegman24
05-09-2007, 07:57 AM
Most private sights suggest their users, turn on encryption, at least if your using utorrent or bit comet. -TheGman

chinook_apache
05-09-2007, 12:01 PM
There is no reason to encrypt if the ISP is not traffic shaping i gues..

bloody virgin media here in the UK are starting to traffic shape during 4pm and 12am.

Pluto
05-22-2007, 01:32 PM
with encryption off its a whole lot quicker seeding.

ninja
05-22-2007, 03:37 PM
I have my on and i kick all that have it off.

myminpins
06-30-2007, 09:57 PM
When I turn mine on, it says my router port no longer is accepting connections. With it off, it's fine. I'm not throttled but I'd like to turn it on anyway. Any ideas? :)

uppler
09-02-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks for this tutorial! Working great on OS X with Azureus.

shazzar
09-03-2007, 09:48 AM
have turned it on in utorrent. will keep eye on whether it affectes speed.

dbmp
09-03-2007, 11:53 AM
I always have it turned on and my speeds are the same... so, i see no reason not to help the others who have ISP problems. :)

ladida68
09-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Most all of the information on encryption on p2p networks focuses on traffic shaping but I have a different question. We got a letter from our ISP (TDS.net) warning us to stop downloading copywrited material and even named a movie that we recently downloaded. My question is this: How much will encryption help keep us from getting cut off from our ISP? Can they tell what is ligit and what is not? I know that's a blury line but still... There are no other ISPs to choose from here and they said if we did it again they'd cut us off.

Thanks!

sub0
12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
How many users actually see there speed improve? Maybe we can make a list with ISP who seem to block p2p, so we know when it is useful.

Aachen
12-04-2007, 06:21 PM
How many users actually see there speed improve? Maybe we can make a list with ISP who seem to block p2p, so we know when it is useful.

:whistling

0riGiNaLBoX
05-24-2008, 06:34 PM
why we will do this options so i can't do this,because the Default it's ok for me

sh4rky
04-29-2009, 12:09 PM
there are many guides for finding out if you are a shaped user.

im actually quite relieved to read this as i have been lucky enough to get into a great torrent p2l as they say, and from day one i had set encryption to 'forced' + accept legacy.
20 mbit all the way

babau
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
thanks very useful!

gtorde
05-05-2009, 06:57 PM
did it.

callme
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
enabled

sardar
05-06-2009, 05:45 PM
thanks. did it.

msalman
05-12-2009, 07:48 PM
http://ipredator.se/ check

byzon
05-14-2009, 08:56 PM
http://ipredator.se/ check

thanks

nice
05-16-2009, 05:07 PM
thanks

wigwog
06-26-2009, 09:31 PM
didn't know this, thanks

Wysa
06-28-2009, 04:34 PM
thanks for the advice dude ..

NSMB
06-28-2009, 05:14 PM
This barely helps anymore.

Bone.W.Machine
06-28-2009, 07:26 PM
Wasn't too hard to enable the encryption. Thanks. :)

Wiretrip
07-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Good Tip. Did it myself.

awaited
07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
nice guide, helped

turin
07-25-2009, 10:54 AM
already done :-)

nccforum
08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
uTorrent 1.8.3 enabled ^_^

durrigible
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
I always wondered if enabling encryption on my downloads was smart or not. I turned it on just the other day after looking at a different guide on here. I love the screenshots with highlighted points of interest in the original post / guide here.

anon
02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Enabling it should be fine. Forcing it is a different deal.

slaughterads
02-25-2010, 08:30 PM
enable is NOT sufficient:

REQUIRED is necessary

forced encryption, no legacy incoming

anon
02-25-2010, 09:44 PM
REQUIRED is necessary

forced encryption, no legacy incoming

That will force encryption, even when unnecessary, and will reject all unencrypted connections (which as most modern clients support PE, isn't a big deal). In my opinion, "enabled" is the optimal setting - connections won't be encrypted unless a peer particularly requests so.

QPD
02-25-2010, 09:50 PM
I use enabled option!

frenchyd
02-28-2010, 12:07 PM
I have found that enabling protocol encryption makes no difference to my ISP traffic shaping, I still get throttled heavily during peak times with it enabled, maybe my ISP has wised up to this and knows how to identify the encrypted packets? I can beat the traffic shaping by tunneling through a free VPN service though I still dont get my full bandwidth with this method. Still its better than 10 - 15 KBps they give whilst im being throttled. Anyone else had this problem?

anon
02-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Most of the time, Protocol Encryption only covers the header using a low-grade cypher. The idea isn't preventing others from seeing what you're downloading, only fooling shapers. And eventually the companies that manufacture those found a way to detect BitTorrent traffic, encryption or not. Your best bets are uTorrent set to use uTP only, or Azureus with forced RC4 and no fallbacks.

amazin
03-03-2010, 03:37 PM
i have been using utorrent 2.0 with utp, and have found that it works a lot better then tcp with encryption!

pinn
03-03-2010, 09:55 PM
This is just a good option for those who have the same problem as you LaMaOne. If not, you shouldn't enable encryption imo.

thanda
03-15-2010, 05:03 AM
i was wondering why I should enable encryption.

this answered my questions