PDA

View Full Version : Cd Buying

emo_fan77
04-22-2003, 11:42 PM
I was just wondering how many people here actually still buy CDs? I am do no agree with the RIAA but I still like to support bands and really do feel guilty about burning a bands CD, so I usually download 2-3 songs from a band and then buy the CD (if I like it). Just wondering what evryone else does.

soopaman
04-22-2003, 11:49 PM
I agree with you on that one. People have got to keep buying music or else there'll only be a limited number of tunes out there to share. Personally, I buy music every couple of days depending on whether anything good is in the shops. I go for Vinyl mostly but occasionally I buy a CD or two. It's an addiction I can't curb!!! :lol:

Rollin_On_Dubs420
04-22-2003, 11:59 PM
To be honest i am never buying a CD ever again(as long as i can continue getting it at resonable quality for free) and i haven't for a while now.
Their would have to be a big change either how we download music, or in the way music is sold<<such as music companies are now putting bonus dvd&#39;s in with the music(but still i dont find that too appealing, even if i wanted to see the dvd i&#39;d just go download it anyway :P )
I know this is ripping the artists i like off but hey what can you do

Jibbler
04-23-2003, 12:11 AM
I still buy music, although I buy a lot less than before. However, I&#39;m completely satisfied with what I purchase because I have "previewed" it online. I prefer play for pay, which is to say, I pay to see these bands live, instead of purchasing their CDs. This is the most direct way to support the bands, without supporting the corporate greed which is ruining the music industry. ;)

sk8punk151
04-23-2003, 12:11 AM
I havent bought a cd since the fifth grade (i am in the eighth grade now). If I had a job and had a car I would LOVE to visit my local Warehouse or Tower Records to buy a couple of cd&#39;s because I believe in supporting artist, but the cost these days are ridiculous. It only cost about &#036;1.50 to make one audio cd for resale yet they still seem to charge 15 dollars for just one cd. I think the RIAA should not be looking at kazaa or any other p2p because its PARTLY not kazaa&#39;s fault. Its the fact cd&#39;s cost way to much money and right now we are in a ever struggling economy.

Because of all this a lot of music shops in my area are out of business. People should start complaining about the prices to the RIAA.

HankusDankus
04-23-2003, 12:31 AM
I never buy cd&#39;s either. But if there a cd that i really like ill buy it. But i do however think that more ppl should buy cd&#39;s to keep everything in funk. They&#39;re just too damn expensive, it&#39;s either a music cd or DVD and i choose DVD

Schmiggy_JK23
04-23-2003, 01:27 AM
same here hankus.

I feel DVD are a much better value for entertainment dollar, then CD&#39;s are. I still buy great cds, that I feel are worth is... 50cent of recent, Linking Park, (though thats questionable, as its good stuff, but only 37mins). But dvds have for the most part, at least ones i buy, a couple of hours of movie, a few hours of extras.

I think alot of the music industrys loss is comming from this, dvd sales have risen greatly along while cds sales have dropped... and americas disposable income hasnt raised that much, to compensate.

So is it piracy, or is it dvds, and video games... both of these industries have surged greatly in the past years... where the economy has flatened out, and maybe even dropped of late... dont get me wrong, piracy has some effect... but its not the cuase of the RIAA&#39;s over pricing woes...

emo_fan77
04-23-2003, 01:51 AM
I understand where everyone is coming from with the high CD prices, but I figure if we don&#39;t buy then there soon won&#39;t be any music left (cd wise). I have actually been getting some really good deals on CDs. I am usually paying about &#036;10 for a CD which to me is outstanding. &#036;10 for 100s of hours of listening pleasure. To me the only time you are getting ripped off is if you are buying Linkin Parks and other mainstream acts. I am not saying that these bands are bad (although I don&#39;t like most their music), but for the amount of money the record companies put into these bands they have to get theirs. I know that this is probably seen as treason on these boards, lol, but that is just the way I feel.

But it is cool if that is the way you feel.

HankusDankus
04-23-2003, 01:59 AM
Yeah but hey man i&#39;m a high school drop out i need all the &#036;&#036;&#036; i can get. 10X60=600 That to me aint worth it. I instead bough a &#036;200 mp3 - head unit for my car and im set. All Im saying is i would buy everything if i was rich. But im not so i take what i can get. And Like it.

Schmiggy_JK23 - we seem to agree on a lot of things i noticed. Good Lookin out :D

emo_fan77
04-23-2003, 02:05 AM
I understand that Hankus, but I am a college student without a job. But to me music is life and I am willing to do without a coke, or a candy bar in order to purchase a music cd.

I know not everyone is as adamant about music as myself, so I understand that most don&#39;t feel that it is worth the money for a CD.

To each his own.

Z
04-23-2003, 04:31 AM
i just bought Quality by Talib Kweli today.

it just needed to be bought. :P

_John_Lennon_
04-23-2003, 05:00 AM
Most bands at today outlet stores do not get most of their money from SELLING RECORDS&#33;&#33;&#33; THEY GET IT FROM TOURING, Errr, when will you people realize this?

Ad
04-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Most bands at today outlet stores do not get most of their money from SELLING RECORDS&#33;&#33;&#33; THEY GET IT FROM TOURING, Errr, when will you people realize this?

Exactly rihgt also how much money do u think the artist gets when u buy the CD???? shit all harley anything only about &#036;2 the rest goes to marketing sceme anyway i havnt bought a CD since december 2001&#33; I live in Australia and we have to pay &#036;30 a CD here to damm expensive i can get it for the same quality for &#036;1.50 and print the cover

emo_fan77
04-23-2003, 07:07 AM
I know they get their money from touring, but a lot of bands I listen to do not come through my town. So, instead of giving them nothing I will buy their CD to help them out. When I do get a chance to go to their shows I will usually buy the CD from them.

Pitbul
04-23-2003, 08:05 AM
i still and always will buy CD&#39;s. i got to thats the only way i feel as those im supporting the artist.

WeeMouse
04-23-2003, 08:38 AM
I like to try and buy the CD...but as people have said, It costs £16.99 for a brand new CD...but you could download that for free&#33;

If the band is wee (Ie like Great Big Sea is over here) I may download their songs, then actually buy the CD when it is released over here&#33;

:)

swarnel
04-23-2003, 09:41 AM
yeah i live in australia too adthomp

i dont buy cd&#39;s anywhere near as often as i used to but occasionally i might buy one if i hapen to be somewhere that sells it at the time that i want it

Luca_Snipes
04-23-2003, 09:57 AM
i normaly buy 5 or so CD&#39;s a month (depending on beer spending :rolleyes: ), and recently i&#39;ve been filling my collection from what has been downloaded, they want to stop downloading, but downloading has ment that I have bought CD&#39;s from bands i&#39;d never heard of, and i&#39;m sure it&#39;s the same for other people

Rocktron
04-23-2003, 10:17 AM
I always buy the original cd&#39;s&#33; At least 3 a month or so.
And i only burn compilation cd&#39;s or special hard to get cd&#39;s, or my own vinyl rips&#33;

summerlinda
04-23-2003, 11:57 AM
I dont buy cd&#39;s anymore [except for Type O Negative and 1 or 2 other bands]
I just dont have the money, so most album i download i would not have bought anyway.

This is how I see it going. The Type O record comes out. 62,580 people have already download it.
Now this may seem innocent under the guise that everyone will buy it anyway. But here&#39;s the deal. Without much anticipation, there&#39;s no big rush to get an album, everyone&#39;s been hearing for two months already. I&#39;m talking about an average fan who figures "well next time I&#39;m in the store or on a p2p I&#39;ll get the real thing".

The effect is then a lower first week chart number (estimated to drop at 10- 20% by the corp. world due to downloads) which in turn puts less pressure on the large institutions to play Type O on the radio, or give any type of video support. Then it&#39;s time for us to move on and get another record deal. Mr.(or Mrs. or Ms.) A&R Scumbag says "look........... they&#39;re last album only entered the charts at #49. This will of course generate a smaller offer because industry scum&#39;s rarely see anything but statistics (though there are exceptions and very few). This is not purely about money (though I wouldn&#39;t mind some) but about keeping a band going strong after 13 years.

Without the outward appearance of a big first week push there&#39;s no snowball effect, which causes interest in the album to fizzle out, which otherwise may have been a surprisingly strong showing. Now artistically I don&#39;t give two shits what&#39;s out there. [Josh Silver]

[They finished their last album on RoadRunner and moving on to another Recorddeal, hence part of the quote]

Thats why i buy their album in the first week after the release, its not only about cd sales, its also about getting a band higher up in the charts, that way they get more airplay, more people come and see live shows, better recorddeals etc......
[did that make any sense?]
Plus, if nobody buys the original, we wouldnt be able to downlaod them, so....... lets all buy a cd every now and than. :)

Benno
04-23-2003, 12:09 PM
I always buy CDs when I can afford it. :)

soopaman
04-23-2003, 03:51 PM
If you can afford it and get hold of it I would recommend buying music on VINYL. It&#39;s the best format, so damn tactile and they last better than CD&#39;s with the proper care. Plus the record companies hate to produce it as it costs loads to produce the artwork,etc. :lol:

VINYL RULES&#33;&#33;&#33;

Luca_Snipes
04-23-2003, 04:12 PM
I agree Vinyl is the best, but I&#39;m just lazy, and a CD is easier to use, rip etc.

And new a stylus for a decent deck is just too much&#33;

CD&#39;s just sound flat at the top end (they have a cap at 20khz), but with vinyl able to go into dog whistle area (vinyl has been know to get to ~50khz), you just don&#39;t lose that crispness on cymbals etc

and Cd&#39;s and kick drums don&#39;t seem to get on all that well either - they thud damnit&#33; (or is that just the junky PC speakers i&#39;m forced to use at the moment :&#39;( )

Rocktron
04-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@23 April 2003 - 17:12
Cd&#39;s and kick drums don&#39;t seem to get on all that well either - they thud damnit&#33; (or is that just the junky PC speakers i&#39;m forced to use at the moment :&#39;( )
Nope it&#39;s not your speakers.. it&#39;s a fact&#33;
I loved to read your reply btw&#33; Great post and Oh so true&#33;

But if you use old speakers like i do (motional Feedback MFB from Philips) you can still hear (well feel) that Khz.
And if you rip the vinyls yourself it sounds great&#33; It&#39;s just how you rip it&#33;

Yesterday i made a Massada LIVE rip. And burned it to a cd after that. The sound was great, bass was very low... untill the door bell rings "Tring&#33;" (at 24:30) it was my neighbour, asking to lower the bass volume :blink: :rolleyes: I didn&#39;t even notice it was that hard&#33; Well it wasn&#39;t, it was just so low that you can&#39;t hear it but only feel it&#33;

Luca_Snipes
04-23-2003, 04:41 PM
hehe - all this talk is making me want my hi-fi back - it&#39;s nothing special, KEF Cestra 2&#39;s for the speakers and the same price range of amp / cd (ok i admit - they&#39;re Kenwoods ;P, but nice Marantz tape deck, and some one nicked my turntable - git).

clear bass, and treble - arghh - PC speakers suck&#33;

Bass
04-23-2003, 10:57 PM
I must admit, I am guilty of buying CD`s, especially if they`re for the kids.They like to have the cover to look at ``n` the booklet to read.
cheers,
Bass.

HankusDankus
04-23-2003, 11:05 PM
You believe or not Bass I agree wit u. I&#39;d much rather have an orinal cd with a phat label then look at a Silver CD with a green bottom. Just the bottom alone of copied cd&#39;s get on my nerves because they do scratch a lot easier (the cd coating is different). But hey man most cd&#39;s just have one hit wonders and aren&#39;t really worth buying

Jibbler
04-23-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Luca_Snipes@23 April 2003 - 11:12
I agree Vinyl is the best, but I&#39;m just lazy, and a CD is easier to use, rip etc.

There really is no comparison with Vinyl to CD. Even if vinyl were the best format, they still aren&#39;t portable. A record player in a car sure would be a funny site. :huh: :D

Bass
04-24-2003, 01:27 AM
OK if you like scratch I suppose&#33;&#33;&#33; :lol:
cheers,
Bass

RedRival
04-24-2003, 01:34 AM
I&#39;ll usually look Kazaa for a few of this song tracks, then I&#39;ll do some evaluation :lol: . If this 2-3 tracks appeal to me, I&#39;ll prolly go for the CD. And I do enjoy looking through the booklets that come with it too :rolleyes: . 16.99 pounds, man I use to pay only 18-19 SG dollars I tink equivalent to 9-10 pounds for brand new albums. I remember buying my LOTR OST for only 18.99 singapore dollars. Hmmm... :unsure:

Jibbler
04-24-2003, 01:47 AM
This is an interesting thread. I keep hearing people complain about the price of CDs. It appears this trend is not as bad as it is being exaggerated here. Example, this weekend I had to buy some CDs, long story, but I broke down and did it.

Linkin Park - Meteora ** &#036;10.99 + tax
Godsmack - Faceless ** &#036;11.99 + tax
Ra - From One ** &#036;7.99 + tax

This cost me just over &#036;30. These bands are considered mainstream popular rock, with Godsmack and Linkin Park ranked #1 and #2 on the Billboard top 50. The prices weren&#39;t nearly as inflated as I expected them to be. I don&#39;t live in a big city, and these are all commercially available from any Circuit City where I purchased them this weekend.

emo_fan77
04-24-2003, 01:54 AM
yeah i totally agree with you Jibbler. The CD prices are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Plus you get the CD insert, which are usually pretty good.

soopaman
04-24-2003, 07:49 AM
I&#39;m glad this thread is drawing the VINYL fans out of the woodwork. Or it could just be the old fuc kers&#33;&#33; :lol:

If I buy a CD I can pay anything up to £17, buying the same album on VINYL would probably cost about the same (if it&#39;s available on VINYL that is) price. So I can&#39;t see any point buying it on CD. If there&#39;s bonus tracks I&#39;ll download them for a compilation burner. Plus the artwork and packaging of LP&#39;s is much better overall. I buy a lot of white-label promo&#39;s as well so I can get most of my tunes nice and early&#33;&#33; These can be dirt cheap too. Anything from £4 to £15&#33;&#33; Quite reasonable if you ask me. If I&#39;m lucky and have the time away from work I&#39;ll shop for tunes 3-4 times per week.

Just gotta have that music&#33;&#33; :lol:

summerlinda
04-24-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by emo_fan77@24 April 2003 - 02:54
yeah i totally agree with you Jibbler. The CD prices are not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Plus you get the CD insert, which are usually pretty good.
The prices are bad imho, i dont know what it is in Dollars, but here an average cd costs €17 - 20. I think that is way to much... <_<

MusicWorld
04-24-2003, 09:22 AM
;) If you are going to pay for Music might as well pay to have it organized also.&#036;20.....OrangeCD Suite. :)

Luca_Snipes
04-24-2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by MusicWorld@24 April 2003 - 10:22
;) If you are going to pay for Music might as well pay to have it organized also.&#036;20.....OrangeCD Suite. :)
that&#39;s &#036;20 well spent :D

as for the price of albums, they can easily reach £15 (which is ~&#036;20 i thnk?) or higher. As I stated in another thread, if you don&#39;t live in the US you get ripped off for films and music, which AFAIK is the main reason for piracy over here

TRshady
04-24-2003, 09:33 AM
I don&#39;t download that much music, kazaa for me is just for the 700mb divx films :) .

I get all my music from ripping from friends, familys cd&#39;s (sister buys loads&#33;) using windows media player nice which works well by adding the album picture to the thumbnails etc (in xp).

I only buy cd&#39;s from the people I like (music wise) like 50 cent, dr.dre and errrrr ..... oh yeah, eminem

MagicNakor
04-24-2003, 09:41 AM
Most CDs&#39;ll run me &#036;23.00+ 14% tax (in the stores). I can&#39;t afford that often. The last CDs I bought were last month, from Columbia House. ;)

:ninja:

N£MO
04-24-2003, 09:43 AM
To be honest i dont buy as much music as i used to before i got my PC,but having said that i do still buy as it has been a passion of mine for over 25 years now.

If cd&#39;s were cheaper to buy in England then i damn sure that people would but more,but they have always been overpriced so now the music sales are suffering.

Here is some of my user info from soulseek:

If you like what you download, consider buying the CD, or buying something from the same artist or label.Just because you get music for free DONT stop buying it.

Try to download stuff you haven&#39;t necessarily heard before. Why not use filesharing to expand your musical horizons? before it all gets banned or becomes corporately-controlled by money hungry fools.

And i stand by my words.

MusicWorld
04-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by N£MO@24 April 2003 - 10:43
Try to download stuff you haven&#39;t necessarily heard before.&nbsp; Why not use filesharing to expand your musical horizons? before it all gets banned or becomes corporately-controlled by money hungry fools.

:) That is how I got most the Music I listen to alot now.I see a band I never heard of in somebodys shared and I go to the All Music Guide to read about them and if they sound ok or are put in a genre with another band I like I grab them. :)

:D And after that I take my albums and put them in OrangeCD Music Collection Manager (http://www.firetongue.com/).

Your all-in-one Music application for the World of Music.Which is &#036;20 untell May 1st at which the price goes up to &#036;34.95, so buy now so you can get 43% discount towards the new price&#33; :D