PDA

View Full Version : wireless use of other peoples bandwidth is legal?

Santa
02-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Presently in new apartment, and seem to have free wireless internet from one of my neighbours.
1. is this legal?

suprafreak6
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
not really...dont you remember the story of the guy who sat outside of someones house who had wireless internet access (in his grey van) and then got caught and was fined and jailed.
But, ask in your apartment, you could probably share with him...if he says no, then f*** him and steal his internet.
(i would say just do it anyways right now probly an old couple...)

Chewie
02-19-2006, 09:21 PM
You'd have to check out the law in your country/state for legality, but sharing the connection with a neighbour (as opposed to others in the apartment) is almost certainly against their ISP's terms & conditions.

erRor67
02-19-2006, 10:09 PM
If you dont change any settings, that person will probably never know.. :P
But yeah, its probably not legal.

Santa
02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
thanks for tips
1. i am grateful his/her line is unencrypted ,we are presently rebuilding house from scratch -
2.how would they know i am using their line (am getting about 300kb dwn)?
3.we have 6 neighbours how do i subtly ask them if i am using their line? WLAN?
What to do?
-enjoy
or
-confess?
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9343/shoot18va.jpg

suprafreak6
02-19-2006, 10:39 PM
you dont, you just take it

Santa
02-19-2006, 11:04 PM
there is nothing wrong with sharing

Chewie
02-19-2006, 11:22 PM
thanks for tips
1. i am grateful his/her line is unencrypted ,we are presently rebuilding house from scratch -
2.how would they know i am using their line (am getting about 300kb dwn)?
3.we have 6 neighbours how do i subtly ask them if i am using their line? WLAN?
What to do?
-enjoy
or
-confess?
If they're on a DSL/ADSL line then the modem settings will probably have their email address in there somewhere. You could email them and remain anonymous.
Actually, while you're looking around the settings, you may come across some bandwidth settings... you could change these settings to throttle your own connection so you don't steal too much and risk them finding out.

Santa
02-19-2006, 11:38 PM
thanks chewie
i am new to the wireless world hence please advize on where i can "throttle"

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/1593/shoot22sl.jpg

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/948/shoot30ov.jpg

http://img453.imageshack.us/img453/157/shoot43ju.jpg

http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/4723/shoot54ln.jpg

suprafreak6
02-20-2006, 12:35 AM
what kind of wireless card do you got?

Santa
02-20-2006, 12:44 AM
dlink airplus dwl - g650

Skillian
02-20-2006, 12:57 AM
You can use Netlimiter software and throttle the bandwidth on your end - that way they won't see any settings have been changed.

Be aware, I'd only have to go to my router page and click Attached Devices to find you there - thay can probably do the same.

Virtualbody1234
02-20-2006, 02:03 AM
If you ask then you have a better chance that they will let you use it.
If they find out you're using it without asking then they'll surely turn on encryption to block you.

Do the right thing.

Damnatory
02-20-2006, 08:24 AM
If they find out you're using it without asking then they'll surely turn on encryption to block you.

Do the right thing.
You're also assuming that these people know something about networking, as opposed to the other oblivious 90% of people with Wireless access.

Though I would probably still ask permission, provided you can actually discreetly find out whose bandwidth you're leeching anyway...

Peerzy
02-20-2006, 05:48 PM
They can easly check there settings and see who has been accessing there network and find out your IP. Just try and find out who has a wireless connection, make small talk like:

"So what kinda internet do you have? I was thinking of getting one of those wireless things, you heard about them?" (act all stupid and they won't suspect anything.)

Skillian
02-20-2006, 09:30 PM
The only reason you might want to find out who it is is to see if they are a big guy who could beat the crap out of you.

Really, there's no point in in asking them if you can use it - they're just gonna say no and find out how to encrypt it. Steal it or don't steal it, but don't ask the guy if it's OK to rob him.

ilw
02-20-2006, 09:33 PM
but your ip as seen in the router will just be the one the router assigned to you so it won't identify you at all. The router's dhcp client table will however show your computer's name, so if you named the comp after yourself its probably a good idea to change it.

Assuming you use xp then to change it press:
windows key + pause/break
this will bring up system properties (or you can access this through control panel) then click on the computer name tab and change near the bottom

I've used someones connection before and no one ever commented on anything to me. The kind of people who leave it unsecured don't have a clue and will likely never even know that anyone else has used hteir connection.
You could probably even log into their router with the default password if you really wanted to, but theres probably no point unless you want to be really cheeky and forward some ports to yourself.

GepperRankins
02-21-2006, 01:54 AM
take it and invite them into your mp3 collection *dabs

thewizeard
02-22-2006, 06:18 AM
...who gave them permission to be in your home in the first place...with their radio waves?

edit: people or radio waves that enter my home, have to abide by my rules...

erRor67
02-25-2006, 11:35 PM
but your ip as seen in the router will just be the one the router assigned to you so it won't identify you at all. The router's dhcp client table will however show your computer's name, so if you named the comp after yourself its probably a good idea to change it.

Assuming you use xp then to change it press:
windows key + pause/break
this will bring up system properties (or you can access this through control panel) then click on the computer name tab and change near the bottom

I've used someones connection before and no one ever commented on anything to me. The kind of people who leave it unsecured don't have a clue and will likely never even know that anyone else has used hteir connection.
You could probably even log into their router with the default password if you really wanted to, but theres probably no point unless you want to be really cheeky and forward some ports to yourself.
Thats not totally true. The router will also display your Mac address and thats how DHCP releases the IPs to use. Your Mac address is unique to your computer so if they find that they can "somehow" identify you..

ilw
02-26-2006, 12:38 AM
I only commented because I thought what peerzy said was misleading, an ip address on a router tells you nothing.
A mac address would be hard to trace back to a person.

Busyman
02-27-2006, 02:04 AM
not really...dont you remember the story of the guy who sat outside of someones house who had wireless internet access (in his grey van) and then got caught and was fined and jailed.
But, ask in your apartment, you could probably share with him...if he says no, then f*** him and steal his internet.
That's like stalking though.

If someone's neighbor has a fast connection and it's not secure, use that shit.

Just don't sit in front of their house.:ph34r:

suprafreak6
02-27-2006, 04:10 AM
ahhaha, yeah i would do soo too...or i would have one computer be uploading constantly for torrents (on his connection) then one on mine...i should do that...always nice connections around here

Seedler
02-27-2006, 04:27 AM
Currently, 6 wireless connections show up. Of the 6, three has good signal and are unencrypted and I turn on my other 2 laptops, both of which has 802.11g cards on them, and download away. I'm never hitting my 30GB bandwidth cap again! Yay!

Oh btw, one of the connections doesnt even have a router password, so if one day I feel really vicious I might even change the router pswd so the poor bastard won't even be able to log on:P

Cheese
02-27-2006, 09:00 AM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank whoever it is that has an unsecured wireless connection near my girlfriend's house for six months of quality wireless connection. Cheers mate.

GepperRankins
02-27-2006, 03:14 PM
I would like to take this opportunity to thank whoever it is that has an unsecured wireless connection near my girlfriend's house for six months of quality wireless connection. Cheers mate.

don't worry about it, i've been living "next door" to your girlfriend for nine :smilie4:

Virtualbody1234
02-27-2006, 04:38 PM

don't worry about it, i've been living "next door" to your girlfriend for nine :smilie4:
Quality connection?

peat moss
02-28-2006, 02:16 AM

Do the right thing.]

Its funny coming from a Filesharing guy like me but that almost seems like theft stealing bandwidth from your neighbour . :lol: Mind you any "Good neighbour"
would invite himself over and fix the said settings over a beer or coffee . :D

erRor67
02-28-2006, 04:15 AM
[...]

Oh btw, one of the connections doesnt even have a router password, so if one day I feel really vicious I might even change the router pswd so the poor bastard won't even be able to log on:P
Ah, but thats how they find out and thats never good :P

erRor67
02-28-2006, 04:18 AM
Its funny coming from a Filesharing guy like me but that almost seems like theft stealing bandwidth from your neighbour . :lol: Mind you any "Good neighbour"
would invite himself over and fix the said settings over a beer or coffee . :D
Well... if its unused bandwidth then ur doing them a favor by making sure they are getting the most out of their money.. No point in trashing extra monthly bandwidth :lol:

Busyman
02-28-2006, 05:20 AM
[...]

Ah, but thats how they find out and thats never good :P
Yup, then they just take a paperclip to the router and problem solved.

maebach
03-03-2006, 11:46 PM
I would ask, if I were you. I'm pretty sure they'd say yes. If they say no, they'll have to get help on encrypting it.

wait...

my router doesnt have encryption :mellow: :lookaroun

Santa
03-06-2006, 12:35 PM
Hey Neighbor, Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/technology/05wireless.html?_r=1&incamp=article_popular&oref=slogin)

Spider_dude
03-06-2006, 04:25 PM
i'd be pimping their bandwidth if i was you.

Santa
03-06-2006, 04:26 PM
i am - it is my only axes to the world beyond

erRor67
03-07-2006, 12:04 AM
Hey Neighbor, Stop Piggybacking on My Wireless (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/technology/05wireless.html?_r=1&incamp=article_popular&oref=slogin)
Thats why when you do use other people's internet, you dont hog all of it. Id would just use it for surfing the web and checking email. Using it for filesharing isnt a good idea cause then they notice the lag and thats never good.

buddy2006
03-08-2006, 12:13 AM
...who gave them permission to be in your home in the first place...with their radio waves?

edit: people or radio waves that enter my home, have to abide by my rules...
gotta be quote of the day that

Love it :)

100%
03-23-2006, 12:40 AM
Can my neighbours see which sites I visit?

1mane
05-11-2007, 07:04 AM