PDA

View Full Version : Dvd-r Dvd+r Dvr-rw Dvd+rw

DrSteve
02-20-2006, 03:42 AM
I am so cunfuzzled. I have 2 computers, one has a DVD-R burner and the other has a DVD+R burner. I am about to start burning/copying movies for personal use. Which one is better. Which one can I watch on DVD players? Can I watch DVD-R and DVD+R on most players? Should I buy/use RW media? I thought I saw sites for download that are only -R and +R. I need some guidence from you proz!

So many questions, sorry! HELP!

madden player
02-20-2006, 04:31 AM
VideoHelp.com - What is DVD?
http://www.videohelp.com/dvd

maxdevis
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
trial&error

:)

DrSteve
02-21-2006, 08:02 PM
trial&error

HUH? Not very helpful. Comon you prozzzzz......Here let me repeat...:w00t:

Which burner is better, DVD + RW or DVD - RW

Which one can I watch on DVD players?

Can I watch DVD-R and DVD+R on most players?

Should I buy/use RW media?

Are there sites for download that are only -R and +R?

ApacNTS
02-21-2006, 10:07 PM
from what i read courtesy of Madden Player's link, they are both nearly the same. +r/w is 1% less likely to be read by most dvd players. other than that their isnt much diffrence. RW just means re-writable, unless you plan on adding more data on a disc later it doesnt serve much purpose to buy them, and they are more expensive.

Virtualbody1234
02-21-2006, 11:36 PM
trial&error

HUH? Not very helpful. Comon you prozzzzz......Here let me repeat...:w00t:

Which burner is better, DVD + RW or DVD - RW

Which one can I watch on DVD players?

Can I watch DVD-R and DVD+R on most players?

Should I buy/use RW media?

Are there sites for download that are only -R and +R?
You know what bites my ass? (pardon the expression) When someone doesn't learn anything on their own. What I mean is... madden player just posted a link that answers a lot of your questions yet you ask them all again.

All I can do is answer this.

DVD+R and DVD-R are very similar to the end user. They both do the same thing and have about the same capacity. They are write once media. Most burners will burn to both types.

Most DVD players will play both +R and -R types.

RW media is more expensive but can be written to and erased over and over again. Most DVD players will play RW disks but not as many players as +R or -R. Your needs decide if you need rewritable media over media that can only be written to once.

But the link above explains it better than I can. Click it and read.

accat13
02-22-2006, 12:09 AM
just to confuse matters more have a look at this thread http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46559
Booksetting or booktyping seems to be a good way to go.dvd+ booktyped to dvd-rom has great readability(is there such word)...Alot depends on your burner and its abilities.Some burners prefer burning dvd+ (they may have the ability to burn dvd- but they won't do a good job at it)discs others dvd- others could care less.My liteon 832s comes to mind it is a good dvd+ burner but a lousy dvd-...All my discs are dvd+ bookset to dvd-rom for greater readability..Confused yet it only gets worse LOL :w00t:

DrSteve
02-22-2006, 12:43 AM
OK, one last question that has not been answered.....

I noted some files that are posted for download that seem to say they are -R or +R. Are there sites for download that are only -R and +R? Is this right. Intuatively this does not seem right. I would presume that most files for download are just files, and can be burned either in a DVD-R or DVD+R burner. Is this right?

harrycary
02-22-2006, 02:11 AM
It doesn't matter what anyone posts about files available for download.

The format you choose(DVD-R, DVD+R, et al), is a type of media and has nothing to do with the files you are downloading.

It's simple, don't over think it.