PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tricks To Make A Pc Quieter?

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 02:25 AM
hehe, this is sorta of to save money and for fun:

What are some ways to get a pc quieter?

Tape over any open holes ont he side panels of the mobo?
Use a freezer like cooler instead of the cpu fan? (lol keep it COLD)

got n e?

swarnel
04-23-2003, 02:38 AM
are there any real ones? cuz my computers in my bedroom and when i download overnight it gets annoying :lol:

amphoteric88
04-23-2003, 02:40 AM
you could use a heatsink (or ramsink?) on your video card if it ain't too heavy duty
a lot of the lower end video cards don't really need fans, my GeForce 3 ti200 has just a heatsink and i've had no problems

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 02:41 AM
I think I could put tape on the holes from inside, but wonder if it would fall off and hit the mobo....meltt....ehh BURRRRNz upZ

amphoteric88
04-23-2003, 02:44 AM
you could also try a high quality power supply. i've got a thermaltake woo8r 420W unit, and i think my pc is pretty quiet (even though i have a cpu fan, case fan and exhaust fan :lol: )

_John_Lennon_
04-23-2003, 03:04 AM
Well the only things that make any noice when your PC is idling over night is the

System Fan
CPU Fan
Hard Drive

Well, although the depends on the hard drive, and its placement, if that is causing noise, You can always mount it in the back of the tower. ( depending on the case setup you have.

For the system and CPU fans, you can always just put some ugly cardboard on the sides of your computer, facing out towards the back, to make a small sound barrier, while not affecting the air flow, because its only out flow.

Prozac
04-23-2003, 03:10 AM
Whats the point ?...make the damn thing as loud as possible ( thats what the over clockers think )...

if u want a silent machine get a Cyrix 800....it doesnt need a fan or heatsink.......and it runs off a 9V battery (allegedly ).....cyrix is now owned by via......whats YOUR chipset lol

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 03:24 AM
Here's a nice idea: http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/s...3422228,00.html (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/howto/story/0,24330,3422228,00.html)
not cheap though... :( :angry: :( :angry: :blink: :blink:

harrycary
04-23-2003, 03:39 AM
The simplest thing you can do is to lower the speed of any cooling fans. Movement of air is what causes the majority of the noise. If you have a decent motherboard and/or fan(s), this is possible Maybe not your processor fan so much but the other fans aren't as critical. Especially since downloading isn't as "aggressive" on your computer as maybe some other tasks(e.g. video editing/encoding). Hence you don't need as much cooling. And, again, a good motherboard will have temp monitoring capabilities for this very reason. Alot of vendors sell manual fan controls for mounting in a cd-drive expansion slot.

Plugging any holes is a stupid idea. Ventilation is key to air cooling a PC.

Sound deadening material(like a car stereo installer uses), can work wonders in decreasing the sound your hardrive(s) will make.

Hope that helps

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 03:51 AM
hmm
I wonder if I can cover the whole thing with something and make the only openening in the back... would this burn it up?

harrycary
04-23-2003, 04:07 AM
That would work.
But you still must ventilate!
Air must enter somewhere(usually the lower front of your case).
Air must exit(usually the upper rear of your case).

This is a fundamental principle of cooling(anything).
Cool air in, warm air out.

spelling error

_John_Lennon_
04-23-2003, 04:16 AM
Oh, I just remembered, harrycary said that the noise comes from the movement of air, which is absloutely right. This might help, but if you want to, you can manually remove the grill cover on the back of your case, as long as nothing else can get in there, the air will no longer be whoosing by the cover, and that might help noise reduction.

swarnel
04-23-2003, 04:36 AM
k ill try a few of these

Wolfmight
04-23-2003, 12:27 PM
The Electrical Box Fan also adds noise.

Then should make a case were a cooler is in the bottom front.. then the cool air flows toward the back, then the only opening is in the lower back of the case to let the air out.

3RA1N1AC
04-23-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@23 April 2003 - 04:27
The Electrical Box Fan also adds noise.

Then should make a case were a cooler is in the bottom front.. then the cool air flows toward the back, then the only opening is in the lower back of the case to let the air out.
the rear vent needs to be toward the top, because the computer parts radiate heat, and hot air rises. putting the only exhaust vent at the bottom would be a very poor move.

ck-uk
04-23-2003, 04:57 PM
U can also buy pre-cut sound insulation foam paddin to go
on the walls and floor of ur case for a couple of pounds
or buy a cheaper larger fans=fewer revelutions

or tri this prog speed fan (http://www.almico.com/speedfan408.exe)

Rocktron
04-23-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@23 April 2003 - 03:41
I think I could put tape on the holes from inside, but wonder if it would fall off and hit the mobo....meltt....ehh BURRRRNz upZ
You could remove the GRID from the power supply fan.. just break it away!
The bigger the hole the lesser sound it makes...

Or... remove all fans (processor and graphic card) and clean them! Some fans create a Bird nest underneath... remove it and it will run as a road runner after that!

Livy
04-23-2003, 05:58 PM
put it in a cupboard near your desk.

shenlong_wc
04-24-2003, 02:11 AM
a. stuff it with tissue paper

b. buy a long mouse , keyboard and monitor cable . Then leave your CPU outside the room

c. sleep outside

d. do away with the casing. just leave your mobo on the floor (rem : bigger holes = lower noise ! )
p/s: and yes, i do have a friend who does that. wanted to save money by doing away with a casing. hdd/cdrom/burner are nicely stacked on the side ^_^

f. damn i forgot what comes after d

Schmiggy_JK23
04-24-2003, 03:16 AM
dynamat...

Wolfmight
04-24-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by shenlong_wc@24 April 2003 - 03:11
a. stuff it with tissue paper

b. buy a long mouse , keyboard and monitor cable . Then leave your CPU outside the room

c. sleep outside

d. do away with the casing. just leave your mobo on the floor (rem : bigger holes = lower noise ! )
p/s: and yes, i do have a friend who does that. wanted to save money by doing away with a casing. hdd/cdrom/burner are nicely stacked on the side ^_^

f. damn i forgot what comes after d
Hmm if i used a freezer, condensation would build up if i turned it off...then i turn it back on(still wet) SMOKE... :lol:

shenlong_wc
04-25-2003, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@25 April 2003 - 07:08
Hmm if i used a freezer, condensation would build up if i turned it off...then i turn it back on(still wet) SMOKE... :lol:
well, i suppose that meakes it the quietest PC ?

and also the most expensive paperweight ^_^

Xanex
04-25-2003, 08:58 PM
My m8s old P2 had this huge fan to it it made such a lot of noise.

So he shoved a 2B pencil in it, stopped the fan from running and made things a lot quieter.

serious!!!

ooo
04-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Xanex@25 April 2003 - 21:58
My m8s old P2 had this huge fan to it it made such a lot of noise.

So he shoved a 2B pencil in it, stopped the fan from running and made things a lot quieter.

serious!!!
if that happened wouldnt ur power be screwed~ my p1 fan isnt that loud... but not as quiet as a p4 fan....