PDA

View Full Version : "The Stand", Best I've ever read.

worldpease
02-22-2006, 07:33 AM
Following the advice of someone in another thread,
I stated reading 'The Stand', by Stephen King and I am very glad I did,
so far it's the best I have ever read (though Im only at alf of it, so don't spoil it).
I read it at work, so the hours go super fast,
as I've mentioned before, Im not an expert at this reading books thing,
but still I enjoy this book like no other,
at first I didn't like the part of 'Mother Abigail', but Im getting used to it,
besides, how bad could it get.
Has anyone read it?

Chewie
02-22-2006, 10:50 AM
I've read it twice (had to get the unabridged version when it was published) and thoroughly agree it's a great book.

M-O-O-N
;)

Cheese
02-22-2006, 12:52 PM
To borrow a cliche, it's a book of two halves. The first half is brilliant, the story of the superflu wiping out American civilization and the few survivor's adventures whilst moving towards Mother Abigail's house.

However, once they start setting up their own town in Boulder (?) the book loses something for me. The religious aspect of it really turns me off and the offhand deaths of some pretty major characters is disappointing. Still, it is one of Stephen King's better books. (That's not to say I don't like his others.)

Snee
02-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Good book.

And I like the the mini-series they turned it into too, oddly enough.

Chewie
02-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Good book.

And I like the the mini-series they turned it into too, oddly enough.
Yeah that was cool too.

j2k4
02-23-2006, 02:59 AM
Cheese has it pretty well-

First half > good

Second half > sux bawls

Ironically, I've read a very similar book that hasn't the lethal weakness of being over-long; it's called Lucifer's Hammer, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

Put down The Stand immediately and read the other-you won't be sorry.

Better yet, finish The Stand, then read Lucifer's Hammer.

You'll appreciate it even more.

LikesWine
02-23-2006, 10:48 PM
I read Lucifer's Hammer too j2k4. Loved it....but did find it a little slow in the beginning and kept losing track of who's who.

Anybody that tried The Stand and liked...if haven't done so already check out Robert McCammon's "Swan Song". Very much like King's and very enjoyable. Then you can always jump on the never ending bandwagon of whic is better. :lol:

And for those into something really, really, obscure...look for "The Last Canadian" by William C Heine. A plague wipes out the United States and one of the survivors believes the Russians has released it.

Or for devastation of our continent after the fact...try finding "Heiro's Journey" and "Unforsaken Heiro" by Sterling E. Lanier. Excellent books, but unfortunately no third ever followed and you are left hanging.

One more to try in the totally fantasy genre...is "Ariel" by Steven R. Boyett. Beware though, the ending makes you realize what we all eventually lose and never get back again.

Cheese
02-23-2006, 11:34 PM
Anybody that tried The Stand and liked...if haven't done so already check out Robert McCammon's "Swan Song". Very much like King's and very enjoyable. Then you can always jump on the never ending bandwagon of whic is better. :lol:

Strangely enough my girlfriend recommended me that book today. (In fact she just gave me her copy as I'm writing this)

Another good similar styled story would have to be I Am Legend by Richard Matheson, without which we wouldn't have Romero's zombie films or Night of the Comet (:ermm:).

Skweeky1
02-24-2006, 03:36 PM
I was reading The Stand when that whole thing about the chicken flu came into the news. Was thouroughly sh*tt*ng myself.

Thought it was alright, but must agree with most of the people here that the second half isn't nearly as good as the first half.

Personally, I think Stephen King's best book is the Langoliers. Never bothered to watch the mini-series. i'm always scared it will change my image of the whole thing.

Did anyone else watch it though?

MagicNakor
02-24-2006, 06:15 PM
I've often wondered if I'm the only person who absolutely cannot stand any of King's work. I can't think of any book of his that I've remotely enjoyed, and I've read a fair few of them. More often than not, they simply bore me. :/

:shuriken:

Cheese
02-24-2006, 06:22 PM
Personally, I think Stephen King's best book is the Langoliers. Never bothered to watch the mini-series. i'm always scared it will change my image of the whole thing.

The film is shockingly bad. Avoid.

Busyman
02-24-2006, 11:20 PM
I was reading The Stand when that whole thing about the chicken flu came into the news. Was thouroughly sh*tt*ng myself.

Thought it was alright, but must agree with most of the people here that the second half isn't nearly as good as the first half.

Total shit!!

That and The Tommyknockers.

peat moss
02-25-2006, 02:12 AM
The Stand was one of my fav. books by Stephen King but kinnda leaned towards Dean R. Kootz after the Dark Tower shit .Kings short stories are the best tho like Night Shift .

If you liked the Stand you may enjoy The Talisman ,King and Peter Straub {Ghost Story) wrote it together .

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/item.asp?Item=978034544488&Catalog=Books&Ntt=stephen+king&N=35&Lang=en&Section=books&zxac=1

j2k4
02-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I've often wondered if I'm the only person who absolutely cannot stand any of King's work. I can't think of any book of his that I've remotely enjoyed, and I've read a fair few of them. More often than not, they simply bore me. :/

:shuriken:

Agreed; I read all of his stuff in my less-descerning days, until a frightful bout of boredom which struck while reading a hard-cover copy of It in bed caused me to suffer a severe paper-cut across the bridge of my nose.

I last read From a Buick Eight, only to re-confirm my prior conclusion.

worldpease
02-25-2006, 07:43 AM
By now Im at the part where they get to 'Boulder' and people is gathering by
the hundreds, I left it on the part they agree to send three spys to
the Dark Man.

I believe 'Cheese' about the movie being bad,
and like 'Skweeky1', I also fear that watching the movie will afect my experience
reading the book.
But still, Im very tempted to watch.
In any case I already found it, and am currently trying to
make it get more seeders.

If I decide to go ahead,
it definitively will be after finishing the book.