PDA

View Full Version : Safe to copy rented DVDs?

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 07:57 AM
Just out curiosity... and for the sake of being able to sleep at night...

Is it safe to copy rented DVDs? I rented 2 movies from Blockbuster and... uh... made backups. Man DVD Shrink kicks ass. :P

But yeah... it's not possible for Blockbuster to somehow know I've copied the DVDs right? I mean, a DVD disc stays the same no matter what right?

Serious answers please... Man I'm paranoid... :ph34r:

worldpease
02-22-2006, 08:08 AM
Lol... it is safe.
There is no way for them to know,
well, not that I know of. I also used to wonder about the Disc being changed or
something, but no, it can't.

manker
02-22-2006, 08:26 AM
It's fine. Read only memory on those dvds :)

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Phew, thanks guys... :)

I just wanted to double check... never actually copied a DVD before... I was just a bit worried I guess...

RealitY
02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Ive heard they autorun software from those discs onto your pc and then well I cant say anymore...

Busyman
02-22-2006, 11:47 AM
Phew, thanks guys... :)

I just wanted to double check... never actually copied a DVD before... I was just a bit worried I guess...
DVD Shrink won't work on all of them.

A friend of mine gets new movies every Tuesday and he's had to use other programs. I knew some Sony discs and Madagascar, I think he used 1-Click DVD. I can't remember exactly.

He just gives 'em too me for free. I just supply him with blank (that I get for free).

I did the same copying for one month using the Blockbuster Gamepass and have copied movies.

No worries.

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2006, 12:50 PM
The only way for them to find out is if you return it earlier than expected.

Most rental places don't even care if you copy them or not. They made their money by renting it to you. That's all they care about.

manker
02-22-2006, 12:54 PM

Most rental places don't even care if you copy them or not. They made their money by renting it to you. That's all they care about.Not true.

I do some work for a dvd rental place around here and his records show that his business has deteriorated considerably since filesharing/piracy/ripping methods have become more widely known.

Ripping dvds is how a lot of the folk that sell pirated films get their stuff - to ensure good quality.

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2006, 01:00 PM
Sorry. I didn't specify "for personal use".

Busyman
02-22-2006, 01:29 PM

Most rental places don't even care if you copy them or not. They made their money by renting it to you. That's all they care about.
How do they "find out"?

I rented movies and games and on many occasions (if going back out) I returned them the same day. Are the Blockbuster police going to come knocking or will they refuse my business?

Also the biggest hit to places like Blockbuster was Netflix and other online rental companies.

On a side note, the problem with the online folks is that folks are stealing (especially the games) the products in transit.

He let me borrow some games he got from Gamefly and some other company and he was missing games from both on the way to him and then they say they didn't receive all of them back.

Those companies get fucked going and coming.

DorisInsinuate
02-22-2006, 02:35 PM
I read that rental places now use special DVD that explode in your drive when you try to copy them, and someone did it and was fined $25,000 (£30) even though he was dead from the DVD shrapnel in his neck, lyke :mellow:

Cheese
02-22-2006, 02:42 PM
I read that rental places now use special DVD that explode in your drive when you try to copy them, and someone did it and was fined $25,000 (£30) even though he was dead from the DVD shrapnel in his neck, lyke :mellow:

They used to do something similar with the old Spectrum/Commodore tapes. They would release a small sample of nerve gas when you tried to record them, just enough to make you ill or kill any nearby small animals.

twisterX
02-22-2006, 05:50 PM
:mellow:

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 07:01 PM
So it seems there is nothing to worry about...

Now I might actually consider getting the movie pass they have... hm...

Busyman
02-22-2006, 07:06 PM

It's worth it if you like full-fledged copies of movies close to their original quality.

I know the game pass was 1 out at a time. I'm sure movies are different.

They use to have a game pass with 3 out at a time but got rid of that, probably due to stealing. Not many people have modded consoles.

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 07:15 PM

It's worth it if you like full-fledged copies of movies close to their original quality.

They use to have a game pass with 3 out at a time but got rid of that, probably due to stealing. Not many people have modded consoles.
I think it's 2 movies out at a time for about 20 bucks a month, something like that... I'll check it out tomorrow..

It sucks how most DVDs are too big to fit on a blank DVD5... but it's okay I guess... I used DVD Shrink on The Longest Yard and the quality was about 80% of the original... it still looks pretty damn good. :)

Busyman
02-22-2006, 07:20 PM

I think it's 2 movies out at a time for about 20 bucks a month, something like that... I'll check it out tomorrow..

It sucks how most DVDs are too big to fit on a blank DVD5... but it's okay I guess... I used DVD Shrink on The Longest Yard and the quality was about 80% of the original... it still looks pretty damn good. :)
I think you may need 1-Click also (for other movies). I'll talk to my boy and get back to ya.

You wanna have all the proper shit before you rent. No wastin' time trying figure shit out like he did. Time is money for him.

maebach
02-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I've copied many rented dvds from rogers video.

I love dvdfab

JPaul
02-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Remember you can re-author, rather than compress. Get rid of the stuff you don't really want and keep the movie quality as high as possible.

Tho' to be honest unless you've got a good TV it won't matter, 'til HDTV becomes ubiquitous.

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 10:37 PM
I wanted to re-author with DVD Shrink, but then I got a message saying that if I do, the DVD menu would be useless. So I just used the whole disc feature, but replaced the extras with that "Video Removed" image.

I wonder if DVDfab can remove the extras completely, or let me re-author and keep the DVD menu...

RealitY
02-22-2006, 11:39 PM
Shit cause like I have that car cd player that makes copies of dvd so usually return them in five minutes or so...

:O :O

Cheese
02-22-2006, 11:42 PM
The only way for them to find out is if you return it earlier than expected. Shit cause like I have that car cd player that makes copies of dvd so usually return them in five minutes or so...

Noob. I take my laptop into Blockbuster, order the DVD and copy it there on the counter. Sometimes I've got it copied before I've even paid for it. FTW.

Evil_Monkey
02-22-2006, 11:49 PM
I'm never aloud to return back to blockbuster because :dry: I must drunk that night or something
but I sent back the copied dvd insted of the originall one
Now its easier just to copy them off of NetFlix get the 8 dvds the 1st day send them all back 2nd :D

JPaul
02-22-2006, 11:57 PM
Shit cause like I have that car cd player that makes copies of dvd so usually return them in five minutes or so...

Noob. I take my laptop into Blockbuster, order the DVD and copy it there on the counter. Sometimes I've got it copied before I've even paid for it. FTW.
Do you ever run out giggling, a lá Homer J.

HeHeHeHe.

Rip The Jacker
02-22-2006, 11:57 PM

:lol: :lol:

I must drunk that night or something
:lol: :lol:

Skiz
02-23-2006, 12:02 AM
I have a TON of burned movies. Far too many to count. You're completely safe. :)

JPaul
02-23-2006, 12:19 AM
I have a TON of burned movies. Far too many to count.

No you don't, hyperbole boy.

Skiz
02-23-2006, 01:40 AM
edit: not worth it.

Cheese
02-23-2006, 01:44 AM
lol

Evil_Monkey
02-23-2006, 02:03 AM
I have a TON of burned movies. Far too many to count. You're completely safe. :)
What do ya mean you can't count them all I just counted mine 20mins. ago
dvds:782 diffrent copies so far beat that :cool: and i'm gonna think your lyin if yours is over 2,000 copies
I mean where you going to put them all :wacko:

Cheese
02-23-2006, 02:07 AM
I stopped burning movies, now I get an AVI file of any films I want and stick them on my hard drive, when that fills up I get a new drive.

Busyman
02-23-2006, 02:27 AM
I'm never aloud to return back to blockbuster because :dry: I must drunk that night or something
Now its easier just to copy them off of NetFlix get the 8 dvds the 1st day send them all back 2nd :D
Fucking quality!!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Skiz
02-23-2006, 03:44 PM
Alright, I would have thought it obvious that "to many to count" should be perceived as a way to say I can't be bothered to count them all.

Again, I'm not going to count them all but I have two, 250 capacity Case Logics full (minus a few that are on loan) and a third going. Probably somewhere in the ballpark of 600.

As far as taking up too much room, all three cases only take up about 18" x 18" x 18". Don't tell me you have 800 movies in individual dvd cases !! :wacko:

Busyman
02-23-2006, 04:30 PM
Alright, I would have thought it obvious that "to many to count" should be perceived as a way to say I can't be bothered to count them all.

Again, I'm not going to count them all but I have two, 250 capacity Case Logics full (minus a few that are on loan) and a third going. Probably somewhere in the ballpark of 600.

As far as taking up too much room, all three cases only take up about 18" x 18" x 18". Don't tell me you have 800 movies in individual dvd cases !! :wacko:
Uh dude...who are you talking to?:unsure:

edit: nvm I see it was GayPaul.

Cheese
02-23-2006, 04:34 PM
That's better. I've told you a million times not to exaggerate.

bmt134
02-23-2006, 09:25 PM
Illegal yes. Safe, probably. Unless your wife works for the MPAA :)