PDA

View Full Version : I'm not sure if this belongs here, but I have a question about my partitions.

Nickthestick91
02-24-2006, 01:19 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I have 3 Partitions on my computer, one for Windows, one for the Dell Diagnostics, another one, I'm not sure what it does, and 7.8MB of unallocated space. My question is, since that 7.8MB isn't doing anythig, could I move it to my Windows partition, or is it there for a reason? Here is a screenshot in case anyone needs it. Thanks in advance for any help.

http://i1.tinypic.com/ogcefq.jpg

tesco
02-24-2006, 02:37 AM
Why, do you need that 7.8mb?

When you partition a drive there's always a couple of MBs of unallocated space, it's just normal to have that. ;)

I'd rather find out what that 4.6gb partition is...if you don't need whatever it is/is on it, you've just gained 4gb nevermind 7mb.

Nickthestick91
02-24-2006, 03:27 AM
^ I know that the 7MB isn't anything, lol, but I'm trying to install Mac OS X, and it's recommended to have at most four partitions, so getting that 7.8MB one out of there will open up a slot for me. But yeah, I have no idea what that other partition is. Maybe its the image that will restore the computer to the right-out-of-the-box state if you press F2 at boot or something like that?

tesco
02-24-2006, 03:30 AM
Ya it must be the restore partition, I didn't realize that dell partition was only 47mb...
You'll never get rid of the unallocated space though...if you partition the drive you will always have that.
The good news is that isn't a partition, so you've got nothing to worry about. :P

Virtualbody1234
02-24-2006, 03:34 AM
Ya it must be the restore partition, I didn't realize that dell partition was only 47mb...
You'll never get rid of the unallocated space though...if you partition the drive you will always have that.
The good news is that isn't a partition, so you've got nothing to worry about. :P
Exactly. Unallocated space isn't a partition.

Nickthestick91
02-24-2006, 03:36 AM
^ Ok, cool. I wasn't sure if the unallocated space is a partiton or not because it says 'Primary' next to it. But, if I can find out for sure that that 4GB one is the restore partition, would it be safe to format it and move the space from it to my Windows Partition, because I've already partitoned the HD before, which renders it useless anyway. Thanks for the help.

fkdup74
02-24-2006, 04:53 AM
^ I know that the 7MB isn't anything, lol, but I'm trying to install Mac OS X, and it's recommended to have at most four partitions

recommended by whom? :unsure:

and here's something to consider.....
can an OS X (HFS?) partition even see an NTFS partition?
because if Mac can't recognize NTFS partitions, then to Mac they aren't there,
meaning they wont count against the total allowable within Mac

Nickthestick91
02-24-2006, 04:56 AM
^ http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=6462