PDA

View Full Version : Do you have TiVo?

Cheese
02-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Do you have TiVo?

ziggyjuarez
02-24-2006, 09:38 PM
No.I download everything i need.
But i wouldent mind haveing one of those things.
I hope busyman replys to this thread.I really want to know if he has a TiVo

Busyman
02-24-2006, 09:40 PM
Yeah I already voted. No Tivo.

ziggyjuarez
02-24-2006, 09:41 PM
:cry:

manker
02-24-2006, 09:44 PM
Yeah I already voted. No Tivo.You definitely used to, I think you mentioned it once.

Did someone steal it while you were convalescing in your wanking pit.

Cheese
02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
So what is the non-brand name for these devices? Over here we have Sky-Plus Boxes and also I believe there is another similar device called a Time Portal that is linked to a specific cable provider in London.

Busyman
02-24-2006, 09:56 PM
So what is the non-brand name for these devices? Over here we have Sky-Plus Boxes and also I believe there is another similar device called a Time Portal that is linked to a specific cable provider in London.
Folks around here just call them tivos. They say "I'm gonna tivo that"...similar to googling, whether you actually use Google or not.

The non-brand name is PVR or DVR (personal or digital video recorders).

Tivo just happened to be the market leader. Replay TV came out at the same time but has since gave up making hardware.

Rip The Jacker
02-25-2006, 04:28 AM
I also download anything I need...

Busyman
02-25-2006, 05:58 AM
Until I started tivoing shows, I really didn't get to watch them as much.

Since all the shows I watch are American, I just tivo them.

Now if you are overseas or don't have the money for tivo then downloading everything makes perfect sense.

Another thing is that many of my shows are in HD and I watch them on a big screen.

I watch

CSI
CSI: Miami
CSI: New York
The Shield
Lost
Rescue Me
BSG
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Masters Of Horror
Boondocks
Real Sports With Bryant Gumbel
The 4400
The Dead Zone
Monk
The Daily Show
Criminal Minds
Invasion
Surface
Medium
Supernatural
Real Time With Bill Maher
Wanted
The L Word
Drawn Together
Family Guy
60 Minutes
The Equalizer
American Dad
Prison Break
PTI
Numb3rs
The Sopranos
Big Love
Weeds
Thief
The B-Side
The Wire
and usually a movie on StarzHD and HBOHD (at the same time) on Saturday night.

Now these shows are from different season and stuff but if I download them I must wait longer, I have to encode them to watch them on my big screen and they probably won't be in HD.

I like my HD. It puts regular TV (and DVD) to shame.

I also don't mind breaks in the season 'cause sometimes my hard drive gets filled (HD takes more space) and have to delete 'cause I didn't have time to watch certain shows.

Stuff gets repeated so I tivo it later. This happened when our power went out recently. The show I wanted came on 2 days later. No rush.

Now I can understand a non-American downloading all the time if they watch alota American TV since it's the only way you'll get it unless you're TV schedule is behind ours for a certain show (like Lost).

I downloaded Dr. Who like that but won't do it again.

I'll just wait for the second season to come on cable. There's no rush unless there isn't shit to watch and I have too much to watch already.

I wonder how many folks on here watch there downloads on a monitor. I did that with Babylon 5 at my old house (all 5 seasons, the movies, and Crusade).
It was comfortable since I had my futon in my office and I could lay down and watch.

Now I wouldn't think of watching on a computer monitor nor encode all that shit so I can watch on my big screen.

It just ain't worth it. :no:

I deliberately wait for something in HD if possible. If I see a movie I might wanna watch (Life Aquatic is a perfect example), I'll wait 'till it's on an HD channel. There's other shit to watch in the meantime.

w4ter
03-09-2006, 09:11 PM
I want one, gimme please :)

Busyman
03-09-2006, 09:50 PM
I wish they'd make one with 3 or 4 tuners though.

Skiz
03-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Nope.

I dumped it when Time Warner came out with their PVR's. It does more than TiVo and costs only $7/month. (£5,710). :)

Busyman
03-10-2006, 04:37 AM
Nope.

I dumped it when Time Warner came out with their PVR's. It does more than TiVo and costs only $7/month. (£5,710). :)
I have the same as you probably although I have Comcast.

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 Series II. It has a 2-tuner DVR with HD.

I'm trying to find out if I can get a Series III which has more recording time and a SATA connector.

HD shows take up more memory and I like alot of TV shows.

Skiz
03-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Nope.

I have the same as you probably although I have Comcast.

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 Series II. It has a 2-tuner DVR with HD.

I'm trying to find out if I can get a Series III which has more recording time and a SATA connector.

HD shows take up more memory and I like alot of TV shows.

Tell the you want to switch out out or you'll cancel your cable. Works every time. :shifty:

Cheese
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM

Now if you are overseas or don't have the money for tivo then downloading everything makes perfect sense.

Another thing is that many of my shows are in HD and I watch them on a big screen.

I watch

CSI
The Shield
Lost
Rescue Me
BSG
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Masters Of Horror
Boondocks
The 4400
The Dead Zone
Monk
The Daily Show
Criminal Minds
Invasion
Surface
Medium
Supernatural
Wanted
The L Word
Drawn Together
Family Guy
60 Minutes
The Equalizer
American Dad
Prison Break
PTI
Numb3rs
The Sopranos
Big Love
Weeds
Thief
The B-Side
The Wire

Now these shows are from different season and stuff but if I download them I must wait longer, I have to encode them to watch them on my big screen and they probably won't be in HD.

I also don't mind breaks in the season 'cause sometimes my hard drive gets filled (HD takes more space) and have to delete 'cause I didn't have time to watch certain shows.

Stuff gets repeated so I tivo it later. This happened when our power went out recently. The show I wanted came on 2 days later. No rush.

Now I can understand a non-American downloading all the time if they watch alota American TV since it's the only way you'll get it unless you're TV schedule is behind ours for a certain show (like Lost).

I'll just wait for the second season to come on cable. There's no rush unless there isn't shit to watch and I have too much to watch already.

I wonder how many folks on here watch there downloads on a monitor. I did that with Babylon 5 at my old house (all 5 seasons, the movies, and Crusade).
It was comfortable since I had my futon in my office and I could lay down and watch.

Now I wouldn't think of watching on a computer monitor nor encode all that shit so I can watch on my big screen.

I deliberately wait for something in HD if possible. If I see a movie I might wanna watch (Life Aquatic is a perfect example), I'll wait 'till it's on an HD channel. There's other shit to watch in the meantime.
Yeah, my dad has the same hang-ups as you about watching TV "strangely". He has to sit in his comfy chair with the big screen, his list of preferenced programs being as uninspired and insular as yours. Maybe I'll be the same when I'm 50.

Busyman
03-11-2006, 01:17 AM

I watch

CSI
The Shield
Lost
Rescue Me
BSG
Stargate SG-1
Stargate Atlantis
Masters Of Horror
Boondocks
The 4400
The Dead Zone
Monk
The Daily Show
Criminal Minds
Invasion
Surface
Medium
Supernatural
Wanted
The L Word
Drawn Together
Family Guy
60 Minutes
The Equalizer
American Dad
Prison Break
PTI
Numb3rs
The Sopranos
Big Love
Weeds
Thief
The B-Side
The Wire

Yeah, my dad has the same hang-ups as you about watching TV "strangely". He has to sit in his comfy chair with the big screen, his list of preferenced programs being as uninspired and insular as yours. Maybe I'll be the same when I'm 50.
In the above quote, post a strikethrough of the shows that you have seen that you think suck.

Tbh honest though, I never watched that many TV shows though before tivo.

The main show I recorded every time with a VCR was 24 (forgot what season)and I always just turned to Fox before going to play b-ball at around 7pm so it ended up getting some syndicated comedies, then Idol, then 24.

That season of Idol (down to the last 16 people) with big fat Ruben was the only time I watched just about every time.

Tivo just allowed me to easily watch anything I even thought about watching and do it with absolutely no hassle.
I just go and select it.
Hell I just started watching PTI 2 weeks ago on a regular and it's been on forever. I've done work at Atlantic Video at 7th and Mass Av.(where it's recorded for ESPN) numerous times and never thought of watching it before.
Weird that Atlantic Video is also located in a secure government facility.:huh:

I'd gladly switch to a PC PVR but right now the software sucks ass.

I thought the second season of Dr. Who started already over there but now I see it doesn't start 'til April.

As far as sitting in a comfy chair in front of the big screen, who wouldn't want to?:blink:

Do you watch TV on a Palm Pilot while sitting in a spiked chair?:cry:

Big screens are noice for watching the footie. Even better in HD.

Cheese
03-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Big screens are noice for watching the footie.

That point I will agree with you. For a footie match I'll go to the pub for the big screen, I shall be living in the pub this World Cup (again).

Busyman
03-11-2006, 02:23 AM
Big screens are noice for watching the footie.

That point I will agree with you. For a footie match I'll go to the pub for the big screen, I shall be living in the pub this World Cup (again).
Yeah before I had a big screen we always went to Damon's restaurant for drinks and football (usually after we played basketball :wacko: ).

http://www.nationalsoccerranking.com/nsr/Four%20Points%20Sheraton%20Damons.jpg
The Damon's above has a shitty layout. The one I went to had no obstruction in front of the tables near the TVs and you switch the sound at your table to whatever screen you are watching. Most of the bench seats were further back.

Now I want Damon's in my house.

Right now I'm pricing materials for a nice bar in the basement (with surrounding wood floor) and looking for a decent card table.

I like having lots of people over. My home is my castle and all o dat shit.

peat moss
03-11-2006, 02:58 AM
What do I get the feeling if I bought it ,there would still be nothing on tv worth watching ? I have Shaw on demand that does n't seem so bad . I can pay for view a movie then pause or rewind like a dvd , tape it or watch for 24 hours for about $3.99 cnd. a movie .

Busyman
03-11-2006, 03:25 AM
What do I get the feeling if I bought it ,there would still be nothing on tv worth watching ? I have Shaw on demand that does n't seem so bad . I can pay for view a movie then pause or rewind like a dvd , tape it or watch for 24 hours for about $3.99 cnd. a movie .
Yeah I have On Demand. I use it every once and awhile.

I NEVER use PPV. I'll dl a movie or rent it before doing that.

As far as what's worth watching, my list is not including and special or TV shows I might have left out.

There are certain shows that are MUST HAVES.

24, The Shield, Prison Break, Lost, Invasion, Medium, Supernatural, BSG, Sopranos...............

There's plenty to watch.:happy:

After one week of leaving TV alone, you go to your TV menu and may find how much you have to watch overwhelming.

peat moss
03-11-2006, 03:47 AM
Oh I know what you mean Busy, but I have young ones who want to watch the same Disney movie over and over , I like the new movies for me when I feel like watching a movie and too lazy to go and out rent one . So in other words when I fall asleep like Cheese's dad I can rewatch it later in the morning . :lol:

Busyman
03-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Oh I know what you mean Busy, but I have young ones who want to watch the same Disney movie over and over , I like the new movies for me when I feel like watching a movie and too lazy to go and out rent one . So in other words when I fall asleep like Cheese's dad I can rewatch it later in the morning . :lol:
Oh I know what YOU mean.

High School Musical
Hannah Montana
Confessions Of A Teanage Drama Queen
Twidges
Cheetah Girls
...and those aren't even cartoons

When she come downstairs to watch a show (instead of her room:ermm: ) I'll can be taping something else while she watches.

I often times watch movies and TV shows in "installments".

You should try Netflix (or Canadian equilvalent) for teh layzeenus.

Busyman
03-18-2006, 04:56 AM
Fucking sweet. I just turned my old box in for a 3416 and it has more recording time!

I also hooked it up using the HDMI connection (had it on component) and it made my picture much better.

If anyone gets DVR from their cable company ask for the DCT-3416. It has Firewire, HDMI, USB, Component, SPDIF, S-VIDEO, and SATA II connections.

It has a 160 GB HD and the card slot is now in the back.

http://broadband.motorola.com/noflash/images/DCT3400.jpg

Seedler
03-19-2006, 03:35 AM
What's a Tivo?