PDA

View Full Version : Modding Mac floppy drive?

Seedler
02-25-2006, 05:25 AM
I didnt get a floppy drive when I bought my comp, but now I need one and I dont want to buy one. This is because when I took apart a mac lying in my basement, I pulled a mac floppy drive out.

The problem is that the foppy drive is a mac drive...apart from being digusting yellowish white, it doesnt have the eject button all windows floppy drives have. When I hooked it up, it reads and writes data fine but I cant get it to frigging eject floppy disks...it's pissing me off and I wanna know if there's a way to mod the floppy so it works with windows?:wacko:

suprafreak6
02-25-2006, 09:43 PM
i bought 9 floppy drives for 3 bucks each at a computer show last weekend...they all work good too (hp brand)
they had dvd rom drives for 8 bucks bought 2 of those...good to have just in case

Darth Sushi
02-25-2006, 11:26 PM
Even if you buy a new one at 20 bucks, the labor time you spend modding the mac-floppy is more than enough to cover the price of a new one. Your time is also worth money....

Or you can just keep inserting a paper clip into the pin-hole. Personally, I don't like inserting something metal into an electrical appliance.

clocker
02-26-2006, 12:24 PM
You just need to learn to appropriate Mac keyboard shortcuts.

To eject the floppy hit> Ctrl+Alt+BITEME.

This requires exceptional manual dexterity but that's what makes Mac users so special.

suprafreak6
02-26-2006, 05:17 PM
Mac users are also special, because they are getting ripped off...and are the true losers in the world

backlash
02-26-2006, 05:59 PM
can u eject it via my computer? If you right click the icon when there is a floppy in it it may have the option to eject like cd/dvd drives do.

Tempestv
02-26-2006, 10:14 PM
how exactly do you get the disk to come out now? Like it has been said, floppy drives are cheap- I have five of them sitting around in my dorm room that i pulled out of old computers for free.
BTW- Macs suck- one time I almost walked ten minutes across campus to use a computer to type something because the only computer lab in the area was a mac lab.

Virtualbody1234
02-26-2006, 10:41 PM
how exactly do you get the disk to come out now? Like it has been said, floppy drives are cheap- I have five of them sitting around in my dorm room that i pulled out of old computers for free.
BTW- Macs suck- one time I almost walked ten minutes across campus to use a computer to type something because the only computer lab in the area was a mac lab.
What do you mean by "I almost walked ten minutes across campus..."

Did you or didn't you?

Tempestv
02-26-2006, 10:50 PM
I started to walk to the comp lab, then remembered that it was a mac lab, and considered going back to my dorm to not have to use a mac. I ended up working in the lab, although in hindsight, I realize that I spent twenty minutes trying to get the damn mac to work right before I could begin working, about the time it would have taken me to walk to my room and walk back.

Seedler
02-27-2006, 04:38 AM
Ah currently I'm inserting a pin to push the floppy out, and the "eject" function doesnt show up when I right click on drive A:.

Oh well, I'm not using it that much anyways, and if i do ever use it more frequently, I think i'll just buy a real windows floppy drive.

Oh btw, macs do suck...not because they suck as not having enough processing powers, but because they're just so goddamn expensive...A windows machine usually has 50% more power compared to a Mac at the same price. I've even seen a Mac overprice a Compaq desktop by 100%. (Mac was G5 2.0ghz, 512mb, x600xt, 17inch LCD, 160GB HD for $1999, Compaq was x64 3700+, 1 gig ram, 250GB HD, 19inch LCD @ $999.)

Tempestv
02-27-2006, 05:05 AM
mac os sucks too- they got some weird way of doing every thing, and there is only that way.