PDA

View Full Version : OnBoard Video Question

imasoldier
02-27-2006, 04:44 AM
When there is an Onboard video card on the mobo are you able to take it off and put a different video card on it?

S!X
02-27-2006, 04:53 AM
When there is an Onboard video card on the mobo are you able to take it off and put a different video card on it?

It can be disabled if thats what your getting at, not "taken off" physically. It's usually disabled when you install a new videocard. If not you have to do it manually.

imasoldier
02-27-2006, 04:59 AM
Oh ok i've never messed with an onboard VC Mobo before so it's not a card at all right? And if I were to put a card on it, it would just disable the OBVC by itself?

Tempestv
02-27-2006, 05:00 AM
your new video card would plug into the agp or Pci-e slot on your motherboard. the plug and the chip for the onboard would still be there, they just would not work, as it gets disabled. I belive that you could run the onboard and a new GPU at the same time and do dual monitors. in order to remove your Onboard, I guess it would have to be unsoldered from the board- not all that feasable.

S!X
02-27-2006, 05:02 AM
It's built into the mobo, so its not an actual card. And yes it's usually disabled/overided when you install an actual videocard and the drivers for it.

mr. nails
02-27-2006, 12:02 PM
i've never messed with onboard video be4 until 3 days ago. my bud bought a pci card and with installed he got a black screen. had to go into device manager and disable the display adaptor. so, if that happens to u that's what needs to be done.

edit: no disable onboard in bios. lol, gay.

lynx
02-27-2006, 12:17 PM
i've never messed with onboard video be4 until 3 days ago. my bud bought a pci card and with installed he got a black screen. had to go into device manager and disable the display adaptor. so, if that happens to u that's what needs to be done.
That sounds about right.

Usually, if you've got onboard and add-on graphics you should disable the onboard graphics. If you subsequently want to remove the add-on card you need to enable the onboard graphics first, otherwise you will need to perform a cmos reset to get the graphics working.

Appzalien
02-27-2006, 06:02 PM
I googled the model number you gave and got this:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112782,00.asp
Its a review by PC World magazine that states your PC comes with an AGP card not onboard video. Either the model number you gave is not complete or you do not have onboard video in the first place. As a matter of fact in your specs you list a geforce 6800 card, whats the Ah? Deal.

Virtualbody1234
02-27-2006, 06:13 PM
I googled the model number you gave and got this:
http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112782,00.asp
Its a review by PC World magazine that states your PC comes with an AGP card not onboard video. Either the model number you gave is not complete or you do not have onboard video in the first place. As a matter of fact in your specs you list a geforce 6800 card, whats the Ah? Deal.
He may be talking about another PC than the one in his signature.

Appzalien
02-27-2006, 06:38 PM
Gottcha!

Virtualbody1234
02-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Come to think about it... It would be nice if the system specs would be posted.