PDA

View Full Version : sorry... reallly sorry to do this

paul warner
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
im sure you've all heard this before, but this is really killing me, and i would not resort to asking for help if i had not done everything in my power to fix it.

k, my bit torrent speeds went from 140k download to an average of 2k or 3k.
i have turned my firewall off
i removed norton
i have spent a day formatting my computer, and reinstalling xp pro sp2
i have tried every tweaking trick i could find on the net, from forums like these, and even tried eveything on slycks guide to file sharing.

every other program i have works great, i pay for newsgroups, i download at like 700k a sec for that, but i need this one file on bittorent.

kazaa and limewire also work fine, avg. 100k/s

it is JUST bittorrent.

i have a 3 mbit connection, i have tested my speed, it is better than fine.

i have no router

i have tried several different trackers, several different clients, abc, comet, azeurus, lord, g3..... EVERYTHING!!!!

i am dying here

please i am begging you, somebody please help me!!!!!

manker
02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
BitTorrent requires a lot of connections to peers in order that you get a good download speed. SP2 limits the number of half-open connections to just ten.

This patch (http://www.lvllord.de/?url=tools#4226patch) increases that limit to 50.

I've used it on my PC and it works fine, I did notice a small speed increment, particularly when using public trackers.

This quirk in SP2 seems to affect different people to different extents, I'm not saying that it will cure your problem - but it can't hurt.

paul warner
02-27-2006, 12:13 PM
thanks bro, ill give it a try

paul warner
02-27-2006, 12:31 PM
yeah i tried the LvlLord patch... did nothing, thanks anyways though.
the craziest thing is that bitlord wont even let me upload to other users.
bit torrent is based on sharing and this damn thing wont let me share
this is killing me.....

muchspl3
02-27-2006, 12:44 PM
change to utorrent and change your port, utorrent by default uses a non blocked port so just changing clients could do it

paul warner
02-27-2006, 01:24 PM
thanks for your help, but utorrent did nothing also.
its actually downloading at 0.3k/s right now.
i have tried everything with ports
ive tried using high number ports and opening tcp ports just for bittorent
pleaaase help me......

manker
02-27-2006, 01:35 PM
Are you firewalled?

That could cause problems with BT if not properly configured.

nanotek
02-27-2006, 02:45 PM
is the windows firewall turned off ?

Wizard_Mon1
02-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Is it one perticular file of everything you download, even files from private trackers with lots of seeds? When did it happen and what did you do to your comp at that time? Does u torrent show if you have a NAT problem (never used it) Azurues does and it has a nat test as well. If you don't have a router you shouldn't really have nat problems and shouldn't need to port forward.. When you open task manager, is something eating all of your cpu's mem? Try swiching of everything personal that you don't need running and only leave system and essential stuff there... If other programs are running ok like klite then its probably something to do with the bit client.. uninstall, registry clean(registry mechanic is good) then install again. Thanks all i can think of for now. :/

Sorce
02-27-2006, 05:54 PM
Try turning on transport encryption. It could be that your ISP is throttling bittorrent packets. Note this will only work with other users who have encryption enabled but it may help a bit. I know Azureus has this feature, not sure about uTorrent.

paul warner
02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
no im not firewalled, and it doesnt matter what type of files i dowload (usually i download iso's and img files around 4.5 gigs)
the torrent im trying to get now is a season of a tv show that i cant find anywhere else. its 9 gigs. at this rate ill get it in 43 weeks, which i am prepared to do, lol.... but id like to speed it up.
im gonna try that registry mechanic, and try using azureus again.

thanks for you quick replys!

RealitY
02-27-2006, 09:38 PM
Try turning on transport encryption. It could be that your ISP is throttling bittorrent packets. Note this will only work with other users who have encryption enabled but it may help a bit. I know Azureus has this feature, not sure about uTorrent.
My thought also at this point take a look at this...
http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/showthread.php?p=1271264#post1271264

paul warner
02-27-2006, 10:58 PM
thanks for all your suggestions and quick replys.
its usually iso's and img files i download asround 4 gigs.
right now im trying to download a tv season in mpegs. its 7 gigs
its goonna take me 44 weeks at 4k/s
but i will wait it out i want it so bad.
but i would like to speed it up, plus im gonna want other torrents in the future

dodgy368
02-27-2006, 11:17 PM
thanks for all your suggestions and quick replys.
its usually iso's and img files i download asround 4 gigs.
right now im trying to download a tv season in mpegs. its 7 gigs
its goonna take me 44 weeks at 4k/s
but i will wait it out i want it so bad.
but i would like to speed it up, plus im gonna want other torrents in the future

How many seeds and leeches are there?

paul warner
02-27-2006, 11:30 PM
transport encryption didnt help and niether did registry mechanic.
there are 20 peers in the swarm, and 2 seeders.
i know its not much but i used to be getting at least 80k/s in the same situation. Now, azureus says im getting it at 440 bytes/s.
this is crazy!!!

azureus says the nat test is ok, and the smiley face is green.

im no novice at bittorrent, id been using it for 2 years before this happened.

this is no simple problem like im not uploading enough, or the swarm is small.
this has something to do with the way im connected. it happened out of the blue, its crazy!!!

i swear to god if its my isp, im gonna call them up and threaten to cut off my connection.... sign up with another service. which is a pain id not like to go through with, if it even is the problem.

i just know there is somebody out there using bitcomet who can see me in his peer list, and sees that im not even getting 1 kilobyte a second.
i bet he's laughing at me right now.

dodgy368
02-27-2006, 11:39 PM
transport encryption didnt help and niether did registry mechanic.
there are 20 peers in the swarm, and 2 seeders.
i know its not much but i used to be getting at least 80k/s in the same situation. Now, azureus says im getting it at 440 bytes/s.
this is crazy!!!

azureus says the nat test is ok, and the smiley face is green.

im no novice at bittorrent, id been using it for 2 years before this happened.

this is no simple problem like im not uploading enough, or the swarm is small.
this has something to do with the way im connected. it happened out of the blue, its crazy!!!

i swear to god if its my isp, im gonna call them up and threaten to cut off my connection.... sign up with another service. which is a pain id not like to go through with, if it even is the problem.

i just know there is somebody out there using bitcomet who can see me in his peer list, and sees that im not even getting 1 kilobyte a second.
i bet he's laughing at me right now.

Ok, pick another torrent that has plenty of seeds and see what your speed is on that one.

erRor67
02-28-2006, 04:38 AM
2 seeds with 20 leachers? Its most likely the torrent. I would try some other torrent just to check if its a bit torrent problem.. Otherwize, it could be you just have a shitty swarm to deal with.

paul warner
02-28-2006, 10:14 AM
i did try a reaaally popular torrent. some episode of "lost" that had like 5000 seeds. i got it super quick, but only because 5000 seeders were giving it to me. im still getting 3-5k on regular torrents. its insane.

i notice that when my speed bursts to 45k for like 10 seconds... 44 of those k are coming from one peer.

also whenever i start the torrent it starts with a burst. it'll go:

1k..4k..5k..10k..43k... then shoot down to 2k and stay there forever.

the average speed on the torrent im getting now is 41k and im at 2!

i receieve fine from seeders... but not from leechers like me

its almost as if my computer wont let me upload and thats why no one is able to share with me

does that make any sense?

dodgy368
02-28-2006, 10:30 AM
i did try a reaaally popular torrent. some episode of "lost" that had like 5000 seeds. i got it super quick, but only because 5000 seeders were giving it to me. im still getting 3-5k on regular torrents. its insane.

i notice that when my speed bursts to 45k for like 10 seconds... 44 of those k are coming from one peer.

also whenever i start the torrent it starts with a burst. it'll go:

1k..4k..5k..10k..43k... then shoot down to 2k and stay there forever.

the average speed on the torrent im getting now is 41k and im at 2!

i receieve fine from seeders... but not from leechers like me

its almost as if my computer wont let me upload and thats why no one is able to share with me

does that make any sense?

It's the torrent, get yourself onto a private site and you'll see much better speeds.:)

paul warner
02-28-2006, 11:34 AM
ok, ill try other sites... but ive heard for private sites you need an invite or something

thanks for your help, i really appreciated it

dodgy368
02-28-2006, 12:05 PM
ok, ill try other sites... but ive heard for private sites you need an invite or something

thanks for your help, i really appreciated it

Try the invite section on here, but read the rules first.;)

paul warner
02-28-2006, 01:35 PM
i just paid a phone call to my internet service rogers high speed
it seems that they were the ones who were "limiting" my download speed.
this is outragous. i threatened to cancel my service, and they still wouldnt take off the limit. No word of a lie they said to me over the phone that they purposefully limit p2p programs like BT so that traffic for them is much smoother, and everyone can access the internet fairly.

the guy i complained to was actually quite nice, even sympathetic. he told me that their "limits" are geared towards only certain p2p programs. im guessing these are the big ones like azureus, bitcomet, and abc, the ones i used.

i cant cancel my service i signed a 2 year contract to save money for all 3 services i was getting, tv, internet and phone.

so im trying to find a client that is lesser known.

any ideas?

phrenzy
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Some of the Private trackers have addressed this problem and have a fix for it. A special torrent file to use which makes it somehow work.. I am sure that there are competing ISP's in your market reasearch and find a new one.

Sorce
02-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Using a different port and having encryption turned on should make it so that your ISP can't limit you.

However from my understanding in order for encryption to work both sides must have it turned on. I look for it to start being enabled by default in later versions of programs but for right now it's more or less a spread the word type deal to get people to enable it.

The fact you got good download speeds from the torrent with 5000 peers means that they aren't throttling it too much or you were getting connections with people who have encryption on. It still sounds to me like you are on a slow torrent. Just curious what is your completed % on the torrent and what are the other peers at. If you are all the same or real close it means the seeds are just slow and it will take a while to get the files.

dlsk
02-28-2006, 03:36 PM
Try the VoIP port (1720), combined with RC4 encoding in your Azureus settings.

dlsk
02-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Try the VoIP port (1720), combined with RC4 encoding in your Azureus settings.

You might also try to change your MAC address; you might be blacklisted .

Detale
03-01-2006, 04:06 AM
Try downloading from demonoid and using the udp torrent files instead of http, or vice versa. That if a messed up prob. Rogers you say

Detale
03-01-2006, 04:10 AM
There is a great article on this subject, and I hope im not breaking any rules by posting this link.
Here (http://www.rbua.org/rbua_news/02-03-15-globeandmail.html)

paul warner
03-01-2006, 05:08 AM
thanks for all the suggestions!

dlsk's first suggestion has helped a lot. using azureus thorught port 1720, and the RC4 encryption, im getting an average of 9k/s which is at least better. thank you.

what is a mac address, and if i am blacklisted, how would i change it?
also, do you need an invite for demonoid too?

paul warner
03-01-2006, 05:12 AM
udp torrents? where can i find those?

Wizard_Mon1
03-01-2006, 11:33 AM
If you want to know if its you or the torrent check the average d/l and u/l speed feature that azureus has it will show you if you are way below the average... if you are stop any other files you are shareing/d/ling and limit your up speed to 50% and then see if the speed goes up, also in azureus check the maximum connections is big enough... <(not sure if that was already said)

dlsk
03-01-2006, 03:10 PM
thanks for all the suggestions!

dlsk's first suggestion has helped a lot. using azureus thorught port 1720, and the RC4 encryption, im getting an average of 9k/s which is at least better. thank you.

what is a mac address, and if i am blacklisted, how would i change it?
also, do you need an invite for demonoid too?

Media Access Control address. It's a unique hex identifier for your NIC (your ethernet card). Most home routers (if you have one) support MAC spoofing. You just google an address, enter it in your router prefs and voilą.

To change it on a computer, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

BTW, Rogers will be so happy to find people doing BT on their VoIP port! They get what they deserve.

dlsk
03-01-2006, 03:11 PM
And no, I don't need an invite for demonoid, thank you. :)

paul warner
03-02-2006, 09:58 AM
thanks again

yeah im really pissed at rogers... i cant believe they did that... they actually had me doubting my ability to install BT properly.

they didnt even notify me, which was the sheistiest thing of all. like they coulda said: "hey we're capping the speed that you pay 50 bucks a month for!"

im cancelling all my rogers services, cable, phone, internet... ill find something else...

i had a question:

if they are limiting my BT speeds, is my newsgroup speed going to be affected too?

im downloading at 650k/s on newsgroups, and rogers alleges that i have a 6megabit connection.

does that sound ok?

and if not, can i change the port newsleecher listens through?

dlsk
03-03-2006, 12:31 AM
Your NNTP (news) connection seems fine.

nedkat
03-04-2006, 05:24 PM
he told me that their "limits" are geared towards only certain p2p programs. im guessing these are the big ones like azureus, bitcomet, and abc, the ones i used.

so im trying to find a client that is lesser known.

any ideas?

I had the exact same thing happen with my Azureus client several days ago. Suddenly I couldn't seed above 3 kb/s.

An interesting note here is that out of an abundance of caution, I have always just-in-case limited by up-speed to no more than 45 kb/s so as not to raise any red flags. This sudden slowness happened RIGHT after the only time I ever left my up speed at "unlimited" ... my up speed shot up to over 100 kb/s on a certain torrent. So I figure that's what triggered their limit-this-guy action.

Also to answer your question, I switched to the BitTorrent client and my up speed returned to normal. I have not downloaded any new torrents since then though, so don't know about that. I assumed it was just to do with up speed since that is more limited than down speed on ADSL.

Good luck with it.