PDA

View Full Version : Windows System32: What's safe to delete?

Vamp
03-01-2006, 06:34 PM
The Windows folder is 4GB since installing SP2, it used to be 2.5...What can I delete that I don't really need? I deleted Downloaded in the Software Distribution folder which was 400MB and not real files (just 3Kzak8348503 etc) what else can go? Can the whole Software Dist. folder be wiped clean?

Tempestv
03-01-2006, 07:07 PM
I am not sure that there is a lot that you can do. some of the autoinstall programs that come with windows might be uninstallable if you don't use them, but that won't save much room. everything that was autoinstalled in my programs files comes to 120meg. my windows folder (xp mediacenter sp2) comes to 2.4gig, so I don't know where the extra you have comes from.

Snee
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Turn off system restore?

gevorg
03-01-2006, 10:51 PM
Turn off system restore?

Good idea, it will erase all old restore points and then you can turn it back on to monitor changes after SP2.

Tempestv
03-02-2006, 01:32 AM
maybe it has something to do with installing windows with service pack 1 and putting on Service pack 2. you might try getting a copy of windows with sp2 built in and install that. don't know if that makes a difference.

Snee
03-02-2006, 02:47 PM
The SP1 installer lets you choose whether you want it uninstallable or not.

I'm guessing Vamp didn't tick that box off, that creates a lot of extra files.

I can't tell you which files can be removed safely without broking the uninstallation stuff for anyhting else, tho'.

deezrf@
03-02-2006, 06:30 PM
go and get "nlite" and make a brand new windows cd It is free and you would be surprised how small windos can get after you remove all of the languages and drivers and other junk you can slipstream service packs and hotfixes and even install your other software You can even preset all your prefrences and completly remove windows BLOATWARE like messenger and I mean remove like it never gets installed remove.just search nliteos it will be the first one probably they have a good forum that is very active.I can do a new install in just under 20 minutes and that includes lots of software.so now if anything even hicups on my computer I just put in my cd reboot my computer and walk away come back and it is done you dont have to do anything it is completely unnatended if you set it up that way.It took a while and a couple of discs but it is worth it if it takes you months to get it to work My computer runs probably 10 percent faster always.Trust me it is worth it.

Santa
03-02-2006, 07:01 PM
This guy is a complete expert at deleting evrything in windows - he has worked on it for about 5yrs now.
Slimming Down Windows XP: The Complete Guide - http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showforum=45

fkdup74
03-03-2006, 10:46 PM
go and get "nlite" and make a brand new windows cd It is free and you would be surprised how small windos can get after you remove all of the languages and drivers and other junk you can slipstream service packs and hotfixes and even install your other software You can even preset all your prefrences and completly remove windows BLOATWARE like messenger and I mean remove like it never gets installed remove.just search nliteos it will be the first one probably they have a good forum that is very active.I can do a new install in just under 20 minutes and that includes lots of software.so now if anything even hicups on my computer I just put in my cd reboot my computer and walk away come back and it is done you dont have to do anything it is completely unnatended if you set it up that way.It took a while and a couple of discs but it is worth it if it takes you months to get it to work My computer runs probably 10 percent faster always.Trust me it is worth it.

pause for breath dude, use some punctuation,
reading that gave me a fucking headache :pinch:

Appzalien
03-04-2006, 11:47 PM
I once watched as my C drive went from 2gig to full in a couple of days and found it was a log file that kept growing. C:/Windows/System32/LogFiles/WMI. I used one of those apps that shows hard drive usage to find it. I was never sure but I thought that MS Bootvis had created it. At first it appeared empty but after fooling around the file appeared (117gig log file). If you find this is the case I found the registry fix that turns it off (after deleting the file it started coming back again)

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\GlobalLogger\
NOTE there are NO spaces in the above registry key)

Set the value of the START variable to 0 (zero)